A Father's Justice Pt. 03

Story Info
Questions answered as the plot thickens.
14.6k words
4.71
130.7k
201

Part 3 of the 7 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 09/06/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

A Father's Justice, Pt. 03

Many thanks to those who offered comments and constructive criticism on my previous stories. For those who want to say this or that would never happen, remember this is my universe, a place where nearly anything can, and often does, happen. At least on paper...

To understand the full context of what is taking place here, I suggest you first read, "A Father's Justice, Pt. 01" and "A Father's Justice, Pt. 02."

Please refer to my profile for more on my personal policy regarding comments, feedback, follows, etc. (Yes, I moderate comments) And please remember, this is a work of fiction, not a docu-drama...

...

End of "A Father's Justice, Pt. 02":

"You have quite a place here, Mr. Caldwell," the contractor said, admiring his work. "The foundation is in good shape, and most of the frame is holding up quite well. If you ever decide to sell the place, you'll make a killing."

"Thanks," Ryan said. "But I think I'll keep it." After the contractor left, he looked at the house and took a photo. In his mind's eye, the house seemed to smile at him, and he smiled back.

He went inside and admired his newly-remodeled house. Smiling, he prepared to send a picture to Sarah, Bob and Lisa, when his phone rang. It was Sarah's number, so he answered.

"Daddy," she cried. "You need to get back, quick. Please hurry."

"What's wrong, princess?" he asked. "Are you sick again?"

"No," she cried. "It's Mom. She's been shot. The doctors don't know if she'll make it."

"I'll be there as fast as I can," he said, ending the call.

...

Ryan called his lawyer and the private investigator he had looking into Jake, then arranged for a flight back to Central City. Once there, he rented a car and flew to the hospital.

After asking the information desk, he donned the face mask he was given and made his way to the surgical waiting area where he found Sarah and Bob with an older man he didn't recognize. Sarah spotted him and ran to him, crying.

"Daddy, you made it," she cried.

"I got here as fast as I could," he said, hugging her tightly. "How's your mother?"

"They're still working on her," the older man said. "I'm sorry, I'm Elmer Jenkins, Chairman of the Board of Knight Petroleum," he added, extending his hand. "You must be Lisa's ex-husband, Ryan."

"I am," Ryan said, shaking Elmer's hand. He had met Elmer once before, but only briefly, and that had been nearly 20 years ago at a company Christmas event. "What happened?"

"Lisa left the office and was getting ready to get in her car, when another car came around," Elmer said. "There were two people in the car and one of them fired two shots out the window. One shot hit Lisa in the shoulder and the other struck her in the head. They drove off and haven't been seen since."

"They were staking her out, then," Ryan said. Elmer nodded his head.

"It would appear so," he said. "I still don't know how they got into the parking lot. That particular lot is for executives only and requires either a card key or a security code entered at the gate."

"Do the police have any leads?" Ryan asked.

"None, even though we have video surveillance," Elmer said. "The license plate was obscured."

"Can you get me a copy of that video?" Ryan asked. Elmer nodded his head.

"I believe so," he said. "But I don't know what you can do. The police have it as well, and they haven't been able to make any headway."

"I have resources that might be able to find something," Ryan said. "Get me that video. Immediately, if not sooner."

"Alright," Elmer said, surprised by the commanding way Ryan spoke to him. "I will. I'll head out now." Ryan nodded his head in acknowledgment.

"What about your mother?" Ryan asked Sarah as Elmer left. "Any word on her condition?"

"They removed the bullet from her shoulder, and they've been working on her head wound," Sarah said. "It's been hours now. That's all I know."

"Where's little Ryan?" he asked.

"At home," Bob said. "My mother is staying with him right now." Ryan nodded his head again and stepped away, pulling out his cell phone. He referred to a card in his wallet and placed a call.

"Yeah," said the man at the other end when he answered. He sounded as if he had been asleep.

"Jorge, it's me, Ryan Caldwell," Ryan said. Jorge Trujillo was one of the investigators Ryan hired over three years ago to perform surveillance on Jake. In Ryan's mind, Jorge was one of, if not the, best investigator in the business, and was equipped with some of the most high-tech gear one could imagine an investigator using.

"Are you in town now?" Jorge asked. "What's going on? You were pretty cryptic when you called earlier."

"Yeah. Listen, Lisa's been shot," Ryan said.

"What?" Jorge asked. "When? By whom?"

"The when is a few hours ago," Ryan said. "The by whom is what I need you to help me find out. I have a pretty good idea, but you have tools I don't. If I get you video, do you think you can get me a name?"

"Possibly," Jorge said. "You think Jake is behind this?"

"I'd almost bet on it," Ryan said.

"Damn," Jorge said. "When will you have this video?"

"Soon," Ryan said. "Someone is bringing it back to me now."

"Okay," Jorge said. "Time is of the essence in situations like this. I'll come get it right now. Where are you?"

"At the hospital, in the surgical ward," Ryan said. "Call me when you're here and I'll come get you."

"Got it," he said. "I just need to get cleaned up and dressed."

"Sounds good," Ryan said. They ended the call, and Ryan dialed another number from his card, hoping his old friend was somewhat sober and still in the area. It only took two rings for him to answer.

"Yeah?" Bill Johnson growled.

"So, you really are alive," Ryan said. Bill Johnson was the old Army buddy who recruited Ryan for "private" security work nearly 13 years ago.

"Who the fuck is this?" Bill demanded.

"Is that any way to talk to an old friend? Especially one who saved your ass over in Africa?" Ryan asked.

"Ryan Caldwell?" Bill asked. "Is that really you? I haven't seen you in what, three years?"

"Try three and a half," Ryan said. "How are you getting along?"

"Doing alright, I guess," Bill said. "Retired after that mess in the Middle East. Seems no one's interested in hiring someone missing part of a leg."

"Yeah, I hear ya," Ryan said. "Listen, you think you can let me bend your ear for a bit later today or tomorrow? I could use your help with something."

"Sure," Bill said. "Got a case of beer sitting here just begging to be opened."

"Okay, I'll call you later," Ryan said.

"You got it," Bill said. "Bye." They ended the call and Ryan went back to Bob and Sarah. Elmer had just returned and handed him a DVD in a plastic case.

"That shows the entire incident, from the time those two entered the parking lot," he said.

"Good," Ryan said. "Thanks."

"The nurse came out a couple minutes ago, said the doctor would be out shortly to let us know what's going on," Bob said. Ryan nodded his head. A couple minutes later, the double door to the surgical suite opened, and a doctor in a white smock walked over to them.

"Are you folks here for Lisa Knight?" he asked.

"We are," Sarah said. The doctor motioned for them to go into one of the small conference rooms next to the waiting area. When they were all in the room, the doctor closed the door.

"I'm Dr. Brown," he said. "I just wanted to let you know we've removed the bullets from Ms. Knight and she's in recovery right now."

"How is she, doc?" Ryan asked.

"She's in a medically-induced coma right now," he said. "We want to give her a chance to heal before we try to revive her."

"Is she gonna make it?" Ryan asked.

"I'm not going to sugar-coat this," Dr. Brown said. "We almost lost her a couple times in the operating room. Her vitals are stable right now, but she's still in critical condition. The next 24 to 48 hours will be crucial."

"Will she recover fully?" Elmer asked.

"It's impossible to say right now," the doctor said. "We won't know until she regains consciousness."

"Is there anything we can do for her?" Bob asked.

"Right now, I'd say the best thing you can do is pray for her, if you believe in that sort of thing," Dr. Brown said. Bob nodded his head in understanding.

"When do you think we can see her?" Sarah asked.

"Probably not for a couple days yet," the doctor said. "After we move her to ICU, you can come and stay with her."

"Do you have the bullets you took out her?" Ryan asked.

"Yes, we do, but they're going to the police," the doctor said.

"I'd like to see them, if you don't mind," Ryan said.

"Like I said, they're in evidence bags right now and will be delivered to the police for analysis," Dr. Brown said.

"I wasn't making a request, doctor," Ryan said. "I won't take them out of the evidence bags. I just want to see them." The doctor looked at Ryan, shocked at his tone of voice. After a few moments, he nodded his head.

"Alright," he finally said. "Give me a minute and I'll bring them out."

"Thank you," Ryan said as the doctor left the room. He came back a minute later with two bags, each carrying the remnants of a lead bullet. He handed the bags to Ryan, who looked at them closely with his one good eye.

"Small caliber round, probably a .32," Ryan said. "Not really much stopping power. I can still see some paint embedded in the lead. Looks like it ricocheted off something before it hit her, probably her car." He handed the bags back to Dr. Brown. "Thank you," he told the doctor, who took the bags and left the conference room.

"What do you make of that?" Elmer asked.

"Whoever did this is no professional," Ryan said. "I have a feeling we'll never see the gun that was used. Probably a throw-away pistol that's already been disassembled and disposed of by now. I'll know more once the video's been looked at." Just then, his phone rang. He saw it was Jorge, so he excused himself and took the call.

"I'm in the front lobby," Jorge said.

"I'll be right down," Ryan said before ending the call. He turned back to the others. "I have to go to the lobby, then I'll be off to see a friend of mine."

"Do you have a place to stay?" Bob asked.

"Not yet," Ryan said. "I came straight here from the airport."

"Why don't you stay with us?" he asked. "I know little Ryan would love to see you."

"That sounds good, but I don't want to impose on you," Ryan said.

"It's no imposition," Sarah said. "We'd love to have you. Please?"

"Alright," Ryan said. Bob gave him the address and wrote directions on a small piece of paper. Ryan tucked it in his pocket. "I don't know exactly when I'll be there."

"That's alright," Sarah said. "We'll probably be up anyway."

"Okay," Ryan said. Elmer handed him his business card.

"If there's anything I can do, please let me know," he said. "Feel free to call me any time."

"Thank you," Ryan said, shaking Elmer's hand. He gave Sarah a hug and shook Bob's hand before leaving. He went to the lobby and saw Jorge in the waiting area. Jorge stood up as he came over.

"Here's the video of the shooting," Ryan said.

"Good," Jorge said. "I'll get started on this right away. I'll call you the second I know something. How's Lisa, by the way?"

"She's out of surgery and in recovery," Ryan said. "They're keeping her in a medically-induced coma right now. The next day or two are critical."

"I'll keep her in my prayers," Jorge said. Ryan nodded his head.

"Thanks," he said. "I appreciate that."

"Any time, old friend," Jorge said. "I'd better get on this. Expect to hear from me soon."

"Sounds good," Ryan said. After Jorge left, he pulled his phone out and called Bill.

"You got a few minutes?" he asked his friend.

"Let me check my busy social calendar," Bill said. "Why, yes, I just happen to have an opening. Come on over." Bill gave him directions and they ended the call.

...

After finding the small trailer, Ryan stopped the car, got out and knocked on the door. Bill opened the door and let him in.

"Damn," Bill said after they shook hands. "You've gotten better-looking over the years," he added, pointing to the eye patch and the long jagged scar.

"And I see you're getting around okay," Ryan said, laughing. Bill laughed with him. He handed Ryan a beer and they sat in the front room of the 12x60 mobile home.

"Nice place you have here," Ryan said. Bill shrugged his shoulders.

"It'll do," he said. "It's paid for and it keeps me off the street. What's going on in your world?" He listened as Ryan brought him up to speed over the events of the last three years.

"Damn," Bill said when Ryan finished. "I heard that Jake was in a wheelchair. They said it was muggers. I shoulda known you had a hand in that. You think he's the one behind your ex getting shot?"

"I'm pretty certain of it," Ryan said. "I just can't prove it yet."

"You getting soft in your old age or something?" Bill asked.

"What do ya mean?" Ryan asked.

"I remember a time when you woulda just snapped his neck and left him to rot," Bill said. Ryan laughed.

"I thought about it," he said. "But I figured it'd be better if he became Bubba's bitch for the rest of his life. Besides, I have no desire to go to jail, not even for killing a piece of shit like him."

"So, how did you work around this?" Bill asked, pointing at Ryan's eye patch. "That had to play hell with your depth perception."

"It did," Ryan admitted. "But you know, I didn't just sit around with my thumb up my ass for three years in Texas. I set up a workout area in my garage, and got some help from a mixed martial arts teacher in town. Wasn't easy, but it helped."

"Just curious, why didn't you just send that dossier of yours off once you had all the information?" Bill asked.

"I wanted to personally confront Jake one time before the feds came after him," Ryan said. "I'd been gaming that out for a few months when my son-in-law showed up."

"So, Sarah's sickness gave you the opportunity you were looking for to face Jake personally?" Bill asked.

"Yeah, something like that," Ryan said.

"What about your ex?" Bill asked. "Why do you care what happens to her? Are you thinking about getting back with her or something?" Ryan shook his head.

"No," he said. "That ship sailed a long time ago. I'm concerned about Sarah and little Ryan. He needs his grandma, and she still needs her mom."

"Little Ryan?" Bill said. Ryan pulled out his phone and showed Bill a picture of his grandson.

"Handsome young man," Bill said. "So, what're you planning to do?"

"That depends," Ryan said. "I have someone going over video of the shooting. I'm hoping he can identify the son of a bitch who pulled the trigger."

"What then?" Bill asked.

"I plan to hunt him down and ask a few friendly questions," Ryan said.

"You need some backup?" Bill asked.

"I could use some, preferably from someone I can trust," Ryan said.

"Count me in, if that's okay with you," Bill said.

"I can't think of anyone I trust more," Ryan said. "And I'll pay you for your time."

"Oh no you won't," Bill said. "I'm the one who got you into the business, and you saved my ass a few times. I owe you this."

"As I recall, you saved my ass a time or two," Ryan said.

"What're friends for?" Bill asked, raising his beer. Ryan smiled, and touched his beer to Bill's before taking a long drink. They spent the next couple hours catching up. Finally, Ryan got up and shook his friend's hand.

"I'd better get back to Sarah," he said. "I'll be in touch, probably tomorrow."

"Sounds good," Bill said. "By the way, when was the last time you got laid?"

"Been a while," Ryan said. "Why?"

"Well, I thought maybe you and I could go to this little place I know in town one of these days," Bill said. "The girls are good-looking, clean and a lot of fun, if you know what I mean."

"Sounds like fun. Let's see how things go," Ryan said.

"I'm holding you to that," Bill said. "Talk to you soon." Ryan left and went back to Sarah and Bob's place. When he got there, he knocked on the door. Bob answered and let him in.

"You don't have to knock," Bob said. "You're family, remember?"

"Thanks," Ryan said, walking into the house. He looked around at all the pictures and knick-knacks in the room. The place seemed cozy, friendly. Little Ryan came up to him, holding his arms out.

"Hold, Grandpa, please," the little boy begged. Ryan picked him up and held him in his arms. For a moment, he was reminded of how he used to hold Sarah when she was little.

"Listen, I have to get into the office early, so I'm going to hit the hay," Bob said. "Goodnight."

"Goodnight," Ryan said in response.

"Hi, Daddy," Sarah said when she came into the room. "I see little Ryan found you. You can sit in the rocker with him if you want."

"Thanks," Ryan said, sitting down in the rocking chair next to the couch. As he rocked, little Ryan put his arms around his neck and was asleep in practically no time.

"I'll take him if you want," Sarah said.

"That's alright," Ryan said. "Let him stay for a bit if he wants." He looked at his daughter and saw a tear form in her eye.

"I remember when you used to rock me to sleep like that," she said.

"Me, too," Ryan said. "Those were the happiest days of my life."

"Have you eaten yet?" she asked.

"No, I haven't," Ryan said.

"Why don't we get Ryan to bed and I'll get you something," she said. "I hope you don't mind leftover goulash."

"Not at all," he said, standing up, little Ryan still in his arms, sound asleep. They went to his room and Ryan laid him down, then covered him up. Sarah kissed him on the cheek and turned to her father.

"He's my little angel," she said. "I don't know what I'd do without him."

"I know the feeling," Ryan said. They went downstairs and Sarah dished out some goulash and put it in the microwave. She set it on the dinner table with some silverware.

"What would you like to drink?" she asked. "I've got some Coke if that's alright."

"That's perfect," Ryan said. She poured a glass of Coke and sat it on the table in front of him before taking a seat across from him.

"I'm sorry I haven't asked before now, but how are you doing?" Ryan asked after taking a bite.

"I'm doing much better, thanks," she said. "I've started back to work. They put me on a reduced schedule, but at least I'm back in the game."

"What is it you do?" he asked.

"I'm a veterinarian," she said.

"Good," he said. "You always did have a soft spot for animals."

"I love working with them," she said. "Can we talk for a bit?" she asked after a few moments.

"Sure," Ryan said. "What do you want to talk about?"

"When you were here last, you said you did a lot of travel overseas," she said. "What were you doing, if you don't mind my asking. I know you said you were a private security consultant."

"Not at all," Ryan said. "That's a fancy name for a hired gun. In short, I was a mercenary."

"My God," she said. "That sounds dangerous."

"It could be," he said.

"Where did you go?" she asked.

"I was all over," he said. "Africa, South America, the Middle East. Wherever there was someone causing trouble, basically."

"What do you do now?" she asked.

"Right now, I'm living off what I made those nine years," he said.

"You did that because of what Mom and I did to you?" she asked. He shrugged his shoulders.

"Pretty much," he said. "I had nothing left here, so when I was offered the job, I took it."

"But Mom said she left you everything in the divorce," Sarah said. "She didn't even ask for support."

"It's true that your mother let me keep the house and the bank account and it's true she never asked for any support," Ryan said. "But in reality, she took everything that meant anything to me. Namely, the two of you. The rest was just stuff, and that can all be replaced. I couldn't replace you."