A Festive Affair Ch. 21-24

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"So, what will you do -- how will you manage, for money and stuff, have you got a job to go to -- can I help you with any of it?"

Chris laughed. "Give me a chance, I have only just got back for crying out loud -- I have a good nest egg saved, and I thought that I would spend Christmas with you and the family and start fresh in the New Year."

"Sounds sensible," Dean nodded. "But I'm afraid that the family Christmas is going to be a little scattered this year."

"Oh?"

"Yes, with Craig and Jenny, and the new twins, well your mum and dad decided to drive down and spend it with them; they are spending Christmas eve and morning with Carl, and then they will all travel together. They thought that you would be on duty as usual -- and I had made other arrangements too..."

"Ahh." Chris looked positively dejected.

"So, you have a choice brother of mine," Dean laughed lightly. "You go and spend it with your younger brother and his new family, and crying babies -- or you spend it with me and my friends and have a chance to make merry."

"Well now, let me think..."

**

"Hello?" Shelly answered her mobile absently as she continued to thump out figures on her keyboard.

"Hey there, is there any chance we can stretch to another guest for Christmas dinner?" Dean's warm voice had her smiling and tingling all over.

"Well as a matter of fact, Brian has begged to bring a date -- so yes, it'll even things up again. Who is it by the way?"

"Remember I told you about my brother, Chris..."

"The soldier?"

"Yes, he just had his release papers and I thought it might be nice for him to be with people of his own age, rather than parents and so on -- try and get him used to being free and single and all that." He grinned across at Chris who was sitting listening intently to the one-sided conversation.

"Yes, I'd love to meet him," Shelly gushed. "In fact, why not bring him with you to Aunt Lorraine's do; I meant to mention that me and Kelly volunteered to go round early to help with the food and preparations -- so it will save you having to go on your own.

"Well, that sounds like a plan... but will your Aunt mind?"

"Oh no she always says the more the merrier -- but I will give her a call and mention in it just to ease your mind."

"Great! I will see you later then and you can let me know for sure."

He said goodbye and then gave Chris a smug smile. "There now a party and Christmas dinner all sorted... welcome to the civilised world!"


Chapter Twenty-Four

Kelly had been snippy since she got here, bossing people around and criticising even as the two of them got stuck in.

Aunt Lorraine, bless her had been all of a fluster due to the none arrival of the caterer.

"The food is all being brought into the kitchen -- even as we speak, but Charlene -- who was going to put it all together well she has just called to say she can't make it!"

Her eyes widened and her lips positively quivered, and Shelly reached out to hug her with a bright smile of reassurance. "That's not a problem -- we can sort it for you!"

"Oh, would you? Can you?"

Shelly looked quickly at Kelly who gave a little sigh and stepped forward. "Of course, we can Aunt Lorraine... remember we both did our food hygiene, when we thought about starting up our own catering company."

"Oh yes the two of you had quite a successful summer -- and then you both went on to university."

"Yes, it was hard work, but fun and helped to fund our courses." Shelly laughed as she remembered.

She looked at Kelly with bright eyes, and Kelly's mouth twitched. "It'll be like old times," she murmured.

Aunt Lorraine offered to help, but Shelly sent her off with a reassuring smile and the instruction to chill out for an hour before her guests started to arrive.

The two of them walked into the kitchen just as the loads of food were being brought in by the back door.

"Right, you are then," Kelly said rolling up her sleeves in a business-like manner.

"I'll get the oven on for the quiches and mini hot savouries, while you start sorting them out.

It was fortunate that along with the food came the little foil oven trays so they could just load up the oven and then set the timer.

"The cobs all need buttering along with the bread, for choice. So, what's your choice buttering or filling?" Kelly looked at her and Shelly grabbed a knife.

"Buttering I think."

The two of them set to work with a will, and the job in itself proved to be easy, if repetitive so Shelly could allow her thoughts to wonder, as she scooped and spread the butter.

She had been listening to the steady arrival of guests with one ear, and the hum of conversation increasing, and Kelly grumbling with the other. They had pretty much pulled the Buffett food together between the two of them, from the piles of food that had been delivered, but instead of being pleased, Kelly's mood just seemed to increase in its sourness.

Finally, Shelly had had enough and she turned on her tall gorgeous cousin.

"What on earth is the matter with you today?"

Kelly looked at her in surprise and then sighed apologetically.

"Oh, nothing! I guess, I just fell out of bed on the wrong side this morning."

"Ah I know that feeling, it happens to me sometimes," Shelly sympathised as she heard the front door bell go again.

"Yes, but you have the delicious Dean to catch you and sooth your... ruffled feathers."

Shelly giggled suddenly, as she eyed her cousin speculatively.

"Ahh what's the matter hun, you feeling lonesome... or is it something a little more basic than that, are you feeling frustrated... horny?"

If the truth be known, Kelly had woken that morning feeling like she wanted to cry. And now as she felt it bubbling up inside her again, she decided that rather than dissolving into tears, she would brazen it out, with outrage as she opened her eyes wide, and placed her hands on her hips in a dramatic pose. "Horney? Honey I've had to replace the batteries in my Rabbit four times this week alone! And I'm sure that it gives a nervous little twitch -- every time I so much as glance at it these days!"

"Well, hello there!"

The two girls looked at each other in absolute horror -- before turning to look at the grinning hunk loitering in the doorway.

"Can I get something for you?" Shelly asked stiltedly as she eyed the green eyed giant. "The hostess is in the lounge I believe, along with the bar if you need a drink."

He seemed to have eyes only for her cousin though, and as Shelly eyed him, she realised that there was something familiar about him.

Then realisation dawned.

"You're that guy from the bar!" she exclaimed accusingly.

"In the flesh," he drawled keeping his gaze fixed on Kelly, who was trying desperately to shrink behind the large kitchen table.

"Chris, there you are," Dean came striding in and his eyes brightened as he spotted Shelly. "And Shelly -- you've met my brother I see."

Shelly's face lit up. "Oh, I say, what are the odds?" She couldn't stop the laugh, and both men grinned back at her.

"All right then!" Kelly snapped as she fought the humiliation down and tried to ignore the hulking presence. "Since you both seem to be at a loose end right now, why don't you make yourselves useful and carry some of these trays of food through to the dining room over there."

Shelly took one look at her glassy eyed cousin and picked up a large plate and looked pointedly at Dean.

He was a smart guy and got the message immediately even though he could not keep the grin off his face, he picked up a tray and dutifully followed his lady love.

Kelly moved to do the same, but the other grinning hunk intercepted her, and cut off her exit.

"You know if you were to come home with me, you would never have any need for battery operated fulfilment -- I could more than satisfy you and give that poor rabbit of yours a good rest." he gave her such a charming smile and those green eyes of his sparked with mischief and desire.

Kelly could feel her sour mood dissolve as the burning began low in her stomach. This guy was lethal, she realised with a sense of alarm -- one little smile and a hint of warm breath on her neck and already her ovaries were twitching in a manic 'let's make babies!' manner.

She gave him a little dimpled smile as she reached up as if to straighten his non-existent tie. "Now I don't know if it's just your insecurities that make you feel threatened by a sex toy... perhaps you feel you can't compete -- but other than that I really wouldn't be so quick to rule out a little sex play in -- or out of the bedroom -- they can be so much fun!"

His eyes dilated and he jaw went slack for a moment, and Kelly patted his cheek.

"There, there," she smiled soothingly before moving past him.

Shelly had a sense of Deja vu as she and Dean and Kelly, and Chris grouped together to make their own little foursome in amongst a house full of people.

Once the buffet was laid out and the people began to fill their plates, then the girls felt that -- duty done, they could relax and let their hair down, and start to enjoy themselves.

It was a fun time, once Kelly relaxed, and Chris stopped gaping at her, the two of them began a cautious conversation that turned into a lively chat, and the two of them seemed to really hit it off, and the four of them laughed and made merry.

Aunt Lorrain saw them out a little later, with a warm hug for each of them.

"Thank you so much, girls for sorting the food. The woman who was supposed to do it called an hour before she was due to turn up, to say she wouldn't make it." she explained to Dean and Chris. "Thank heavens these two had already volunteered to come early and help out..." she smiled suddenly. "But I bet my retirement pension that they were not expecting even half of what they actually got into."

Her words slurred slightly showing that she was more than a little the worse for her drinks.

Kelly and Shelly both grinned at her. "We enjoyed doing it," Kelly told her lightly.

As they left the house together Shelly could hear that the merriment continued inside.

She looked up at Dean with a wide smile as he took her hand in his.

It was the perfect way to start the Christmas run, Shelly thought to herself.

Spending time with family even though she missed her mum -- she had relatives, and friends new and old. But most of all she would spend it with Dean and that would make this the best ever Christmas in her eyes, and the New Year looked even more promising -- and not just for her and Dean, she thought as she eyed her cousin who stood chatting animatedly with Chris, they certainly made a striking couple.

* *

The beeping of her phone had Shelly reaching for it even before she was properly awake.

"Good morning," she whispered sleepily.

"Good morning my darling and merry Christmas to you!" Dean's warm husky voice caused her to shiver, and her eyes opened properly for the first time.

"Happy Christmas to you too."

"Did you and Kelly have a pleasant night last night?"

"Yes, we did thank you -- did you -- did you meet up with Chris?"

"Yes, we spent the evening with the parents, and spent the time reminiscing -- about Christmases past, mostly."

"Ah, that sounds nice," she smiled sleepily. "But it seems to be doing the rounds lately with everyone remembering past times with fondness."

"You sound half asleep still?"

"It was rather a late night."

"It was certainly a long night... I missed you last night, Shelly."

"Poor baby," she grinned as she sat up a little.

"I mean it," he told her seriously. "It's the first night in weeks now that we have not spent it together and well to be honest, I hated every moment of my empty sleepless night."

"I'm sorry, Dean -- I was missing have you next to me too -- if the truth be told." she sighed.

"Good - I am glad that it was at least mutual -- we will have to make sure that it doesn't happen again... at least not without a really good reason."

"Yes, but for now let's agree that we missed each other last night and look forward to seeing each other later today."

"Agreed." He laughed huskily.

"Good, what time do you think you will get here for?" she asked making herself more comfortable.

"Towards midday I should think -- I believe that was the original plan?"

"Yes, yes that will be perfect." she smiled as she thought about the day ahead -- and all the potential promises there.

"Ok then I will leave you in peace ... I just needed to hear you voice and to wish you a happy Christmas -- before anyone else."

"I love you, Dean," Shelly whispered softly.

"... I love you too, Shelly."

*

The place looked warm and welcoming when Shelly let him in.

There were garlands and lights hanging all around the room, and the table was set up in the extended part of the kitchen and laid out for later.

The six-foot artificial tree was sitting in Kelly's small bay window and twinkled merrily with its little fairy lights.

"Very festive!" he murmured appreciatively as he looked around the room.

Shelly reached up to kiss him lightly on the lips and smiled at him, with twinkling eyes.

"I must say you do look yummy this morning," she grinned.

He was wearing black jeans and a pale shirt which was open at the collar giving him a relaxed look, and he looked so handsome to her loved-up eyes.

"Thank you and the same for you too, you look lovely as usual -- my love."

"Merry Christmas, Dean!" Kelly grinned as she walked up to him and kissed him on the lips lightly.

"Merry Christmas to you too, Kelly." he warmly returned her kiss and gave her a quick hug as well before draping his arm across Shelly's shoulders.

"How's things progressing? I must say I can smell the delicious hint of dinner?"

"It's a good hour away yet -- but everything is on schedule."

"Great... I was wondering if I could steal Shelly away for a half an hour?"

"Oh?"

He grinned. "Nothing unsavoury... I just thought we could take a little stroll -- get some fresh air and so on since it's such a beautiful morning."

"Well, there is small park just over the road, it has a river flowing through it, and a few seats where you can sit and admire the views and take in the atmosphere -- if you are so inclined."

"Sounds perfect..." he looked questioningly down at Shelly.

"I shall just go and fetch my jacket."

The road was quiet and although there were a few people in the park -- mostly walking dogs, they were distant enough for them to feel almost alone.

Dean held her hand and led her along the path towards the river and one of the benches.

He sat down beside her and looked out pensively across the rushing water.

Shelly sat watching him for a while, he obviously had something on his mind, and she was hoping that he could air it quickly so that they could have a pleasant day.

"A penny for your thoughts?" she asked softly.

He glanced at her and then took her hand in his.

"I told you earlier how much I hated you not being there last night," he said slowly. "I once thought that all I needed was silence to enjoy a sound sleep, but now I realise I need you more."

"Aww that's so nice of you to say, Dean," she smiled mistily at him.

"I sat down with my surrogate family and all I could think of was to get back to you... that you should have been there with me last night... all I could think was I so wanted you to meet my family and have them meet you..."

"That's very sweet, Dean;" she smiled. "And I look forward to meeting them too... but we have time -- plenty of time."

"Yes, I suppose that we do... but I need you to know now -- just how important you have become to me... I need you to know how much I love you."

She gave a soft little gasp and her fabulous eyes smoked over. "I do know how you feel -- and I need you to know that I feel exactly the same way."

He leaned in to kiss her gently on the lips.

"I know that we have not known each other for so very long... and I have no wish to rush you into anything... but I want to pledge myself to you..."

He opened his fist suddenly and in the centre of his palm sat a small jeweller's box.

Shelly gave a gasp as she sucked in her breath and held it. She so did not want to misread what she was suddenly so desperate to believe.

He flicked it open with his thumb and held it out to her.

The sapphire and diamond ring glinted up at her in the low winter sun.

"Oh!" she gasped putting her hand to her mouth.

"I won't rush you to set a date, Shelly -- but I want you to be my wife... will you marry me... please?"

She reached out to gently touch the beautiful gemstone.

She took a deep breath as she tried to quell the rush of emotion, but it simply would not be pushed down.

"We have all the time we might ever need," she whispered tearfully. "But I really do not want to wait. Yes... I would love to be your wife -- yes please just as soon as you want!"

The End & a very Happy Christmas to you all

x