A Flash of Red

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

#

WILL

"Anna?"

She paused in the middle of raising a fork-full of omelet to her mouth and looked at him. "Yes?"

He took a deep breath. "Would ... would you be interested in coming to my place for dinner? I really mean only that. No funny business, just a meal."

A flustered look crossed her face. "I don't know if that's a good idea."

"I'd really like to spend some time with you that's not in a restaurant."

She didn't answer but stared into her plate.

Will ground his teeth. He was frustrated, no doubt about it.

They'd been seeing each other for breakfast twice a week for the last month, and one morning watching a movie on a laptop while they sat in the bed of his truck. Each time, they spent ninety minutes talking and laughing together. Will never got tired of Anna's vibrancy and how she all but glowed with life when she got excited. He'd spend minutes listening to her with one ear as he let his gaze wander across her cheeks and the bridge of her nose, memorizing the location of every freckle on her milky skin. When he could get her to sit still long enough, he'd reach across the table and hold her hand. The first time he'd done it, she had blushed and looked a little uncertain but after that, she had sought his hand herself. They had done nothing more than hug, though Anna usually gave him a kiss on the cheek at the end of each meeting.

But Will was still frustrated.

He wasn't after sex, though he wouldn't have turned it down. He had only done it with Emily and only a handful of times. Physically, the sensation of having his dick in her had felt heavenly of course, but she'd treated it as something to do and be done with—an item to be checked off a list, as part of the relationship chores. It had grown so dispassionate and hollow that Emily had all but laid in near-silence the last time and Will hadn't tried again. He felt confident that his feelings toward Anna weren't about him lacking sex.

No, he thought, I want to know her.

They'd talked endlessly. Will knew her hobbies, which aspects of her work she liked and didn't, her favorite movie, and that she hated the Colorado winters. But he didn't know her worst fears. She never said much about her family. She didn't share her plans for the future. He knew the superficial trappings. He wanted to know the woman.

For her part, Anna had been great. She'd insisted on paying for one breakfast a week, even though he sensed she didn't have two dimes to rub together. Once he pried and discovered her phone situation, he'd insisted on buying her some minutes. Only in the end, buy stating in a joking but firm tone that she should accept the card and only use the minutes he bought to talk to him. That had mollified her, though Anna wouldn't stay get on for any extended conversation until after nine at night, which started to butt up against Will's bedtime on nights before he went in early.

Will sighed. The more time he spent with Anna, the more he liked her. The more he thought of her, the more he missed her. He wanted to soak in the presence of her infectious laugh and gaze into her deep blue eyes. He wanted to know her.

Yes, "frustrated" is the right word.

Anna sighed and raised her eyes. "Can we just go for a walk in the park one morning or something like that?"

He leaned against the back of his chair. "Anna, you know I like you, right? A lot."

"Yes."

"Do you like me or are you starting to have second thoughts?"

She flinched and her eyes widened. "No, Will, I like you too." She smiled. "A lot."

He reached across the table with both hands. She automatically put hers in his. "Anna, I really just want to get to know you. I feel like you're holding back on me."

She refused to meet his gaze. "It's not that, Will. It's just ..." She trailed off.

"What?"

She huffed in irritation and withdrew her hands. "Look, Will. You're great. You're one of the best men I've ever met and I really think you like me for me. But my life is pretty messed up and my family situation isn't great. My mother has a lot of issues. I think if you get a glimpse of all that, you'll run screaming into the hills to get away." Her eyes moistened. "And I don't want that."

"Anna, give me chance. What's the worst that can happen?"

She snorted.

"Seriously," he said.

She pondered for a moment, then stood. Anna leaned across the table and tilted her head towards his. Will closed his eyes just as their lips touched. He froze, almost shocked by her action. All he could do was luxuriate in the soft skin of her mouth on his. Her tongue touched his lips.

Anna broke their kiss and pulled back. Will opened his eyes and saw her staring at him, a sad smile and a few tears on her face. She whispered, "Don't say you weren't warned. Call me, let me know what night."

#

ANNA

She pushed through the diner door. Her whole body trembled and she wasn't sure if it was from the thought of letting Will into her mother's twisted psychotic world, or because of the kiss.

I can't believe I kissed him.

She didn't regret it at all. His mouth was hot and felt as strong as the rest of him. Just touching their lips together fired a bolt of excitement and desire right down her spine, and made stars burst behind her closed eyelids.

Anna smiled to herself. I almost forgot what that was like.

She ran a few errands and drove to work. Just as she killed the ignition, her phone rang. "Hello?"

"Hello, it's me."

She bit her lip. "Hello, you. That didn't take long."

"I didn't want to hive you a chance to think about it and change your mind," Will said. "Tomorrow night at my place? Around seven?"

Anna took a deep breath. "Eight?"

"All right. I'll cook for us. And Anna? I really just want to hang out. I'm not going to try to get you in bed or anything, okay? I promise."

"Okay." She considered his promise, though she wasn't sure if she was more relieved or disappointed. "Can I bring anything?"

"Nah, I have it covered. Have a good couple of days and let me know if something comes up."

"Thanks. See you then."

Half in a daze, Anna clocked in. Her boss had her on a standard register for the day's shift, which at least meant she didn't have to put up with any crap from Trina. She spotted the obnoxious woman working the self-checkout station at the other end of their work area and she was glad of it. She rang up customers, smiled, and engaged in a little chatter here and there. An elderly man she recognized as a regular customer lightly flirted with her—not in any creepy way, she thought, but just the banter of a happy-go-lucky old man who enjoyed his life and liked to talk up everyone he dealt with. The interaction lightened her mood and before she knew it, her shift was over.

She found her shift manager hanging out by the customer service desk. "Hey, Mike? Something came up, kinda short notice. I need to leave about an hour early tomorrow."

"Huh?"

Anna sighed. Mike Simpson was not the sharpest guy she had ever met. "I need to leave an hour early tomorrow. I'll make it up Friday, if you need, or you can short me one hour for the week. I mean, how often do I ask for an hour off? Can you have someone cover me?"

"Uhm, I guess. Everything all right?"

"Yes, thanks. Just something I need to take care of."

The drive was home brought a sense of sobriety. Despite her elated spirits, her mother and the reality of her life still waited. Anna could only imagine how her mother was going to react to her going out on a date.

Anna smiled. It's an actual date. Her smiled dimmed. Oh, right. Mom. I am not telling her until right before I leave tomorrow.

Florence seemed calmer and less drunk than normal. They had a semi-normal conversation over dinner, which consisted of soup and sandwiches. Anna spent the meal on edge, waiting for her mother to erupt in a typical abusive rant but for some reason, it never came. Florence returned to the living room to watch television but did not pass out until almost ten, even though she worked a bottle of brandy the whole evening. Anna blanched at her mother's yellowing skin and sunken eyes.

She's getting worse.

For a split second, she was tempted to call her Aunt Betty and tell her that she wanted her mom committed but the reality descended again. Neither Anna nor Betty could afford it, and despite a few more attempts, she hadn't been able to find her mother's supposed cash stash. She realized that it was possible her mother had drunk through the entirety of her divorce settlement.

After she had her mother settled, Anna sifted through her meager wardrobe. She found a snowy white blouse and a knee-length green skirt. She wormed into the skirt and gasped at how tight it was.

"Must have shrunk in the last year," she muttered. She donned the shirt and looked at herself in the cloudy mirror attached to the back of her door. The outfit left her calves and forearms bare. She turned sideways and noted that the blouse was also a bit tight. Her breasts were much more prominent than in her normal clothes.

I hope he doesn't look at me and see a fat girl squeezing into clothes too small for her.

Her Friday shift passed without event, though her mounting excitement made time drag. Mike let her off an hour early, as promised. Anna sped home. She found her mother in her normal spot. "Come on, Mom. Let's have some dinner."

"Hmm?" Florence's head lolled to the side. "You're home?"

"I'm home."

Florence squinted at the window and the late afternoon beyond. "Early."

Drunk off her ass and she still knows it's early. "Yeah, I got off work a little early. What can I make you for dinner?"

Florence glazed at the television with her bloodshot eyes for a moment. "Pasta."

She whipped up a quick batch and summoned her mother to the table. Florence stumbled in and flopped in her chair. She squinted at her plate of food, took her first bite, then peered over at Anna's seat. She pointed her fork. "You're not eating?"

Anna crossed her fingers. "I'm going out after dinner."

Florence raised her eyes and fixed on Anna. In an instant, she looked much less inebriated than two minutes earlier. "Where?"

"I have a date." She braced for the explosion.

"Oh." Florence returned her attention to her plate and resumed eating. "One of your johns, right?"

"Sure, Mom."

"Aren't you ashamed of yourself for being a whore?"

"Aren't you?" The words were out of her mouth before she could stop herself.

Florence paused with her fork halfway to her mouth. "What did you say?"

Anna groaned to herself, cursing her inability to keep her mouth shut. "Nothing."

Savage anger twisted Florence's face. She grabbed her plate and flung it to shatter against the kitchen wall. Pasta and marinara sauce sprayed across the cheap wallpaper, the floor, the table, and Anna herself. Florence lurched from the table and staggered to the living room.

Anna sat in shock. She touched her cheek with quivering fingers, which came away with the bright red shade of store-bought spaghetti sauce. After a long moment, she crept past the living room and fled upstairs to the shower, fighting down her tears.

#

WILL

His eyes scoured the small apartment for the third time. He'd cleaned it bow to stern the night before and tidied up the last bit after work today. Not a single thing was out of place. His dish of chicken marsala simmered on the stove, with a pot ready to receive the angel hair pasta and a second one with a steamer ready for the broccoli. He was showered, shaved, and dressed. Everything was ready.

Then why can't I stop running around like a headless chicken? Will laughed at himself. He'd not been this nervous on a date since his first one with Emily. The thought brought him up short. Will realized he hadn't even thought about Emily more than once or twice since he and Anna started seeing each other. He hadn't heard from his old girlfriend and his parents hadn't mentioned her either.

He shrugged. She'd thrown him back in the dating pond so why worry about what she was doing?

He caught a knock on the door. Will strode to it, forcing himself to be calm. He opened it. "Hey, Anna."

She wore a white button-down blouse, a silky green skirt that fell to her knees, and black shoes. She'd brushed her beautiful red hair back from her face and applied a very light make-up layer, which had done nothing but enhance her eyes and lips, which he thought her best features. He noticed the swell of her breasts right away but force himself to keep his eyes north. Will smiled. "You look fantastic."

"Thanks," she said in a small voice. She held her small clutch purse in front of her with both hands. "You look pretty good yourself."

"Amazing what a shave and a pair of slacks can do. Come on in." He stood aside so she could enter. As she passed him, he caught a whiff of lilac. He suppressed a shiver of lust. "Get you something to drink?"

She raised an eyebrow. "You offering a booze to a minor."

"Not quite. Water, soda, something like that. Besides, you have to drive home, remember?"

"Oh, darn." She made an exaggerated motion of snapping her fingers. "I thought you were going to get me drunk and take advantage of me."

Will blinked. "Uhm ..."

Anna laughed. "It's okay, Will. I actually don't drink. I'll just take some water for now. By the way, dinner smells amazing. I do like a man who can cook."

"Good news for me."

They chatted while Will dumped the pasta and tossed the broccoli on the steamer. Anna sat in a dining room chair at the edge of the apartment's small kitchen. She crossed one leg over the other and laced her fingers on one knee. Will kept stealing glances at her legs, noting that she had fabulous calves. His staring at the curve of her soft skin and then drifting up her legs to the slight swell of her thighs caused his cock to awaken and pay attention. He tore himself away and concentrated on dinner.

He finished preparing the meal, dished up two plates, and brought them to the table. He saw Anna's face fall slightly when he set the plate in front of her. "Everything all right? Do you not like mushrooms?"

She sat up and smiled, though he thought was a little forced. "No, sorry. Just ... we have these same plates."

Will didn't know what to say to that. He sat next to her. "I hope that's okay."

"Yes, I'm sorry. It just caught me off guard." She picked up her napkin. "It looks amazing."

They ate and chatted. Anna praised his cooking skills. Will responded with humility, stating he could only cook a few dishes, and credited his mother for any residual talent he had absorbed. Anna's eyes sparkled and she smiled continually. By all appearances, he thought she was enjoying the evening just as much as he was. When they were done, he cleared their plates. Anna got up and helped him. He brewed coffee, poured them each a mug, and offered a plate of biscotti. Anna took one. Will said, "These, unfortunately, aren't homemade."

"It's fine." She gave him an impish grin and dunked hers in her coffee. The gesture was so playful Will caught himself smiling in return.

They ate dessert and sipped coffee for a bit. Anna leaned back in her chair and rubbed her stomach. Of course, the motion of her reclining her shoulders and arching her back made her large chest stand out even more. Will swallowed hard. He wondered if she knew what she was doing to him. He said, "Did you get enough to eat?"

"Oh, yes. It was all fantastic, thank you."

He topped off his coffee and motioned to her but Anna smiled and shook her head. They retired to his front room and sat on the stiff couch. Will placed his coffee on the end table. He expected Anna to sit a few feet away but she sat right next to him, on his left, burrowed under his arm, and snuggled into his chest. Her body was warm and soft. He chuckled. "Wow, they were right. Feed a girl right and she'll follow you forever."

Anna lightly slapped his arm. "I'm just getting comfortable, that's all. Besides, I'm a little cold. All the blood in my body went to my belly, to digest that wonderful meal."

"I'm sorry, I can turn the air down—"

She held him. "No, you stay here and keep me warm."

Will wrapped his arm around her shoulders. Anna sighed and stretched her left arm around his torso. He said, "Everything all right?"

"Yeah." She hesitated.

He waited.

"I got in an argument with my mother before I came over. We were at the dinner table and she took a plate ... well, never mind. But that's why I reacted when I saw yours."

Will frowned. "Did she hit you with a plate or something?"

"Not exactly."

"What exactly was it, then?" She tensed against him. "Anna, if you don't want to talk about it—"

"She threw it against the wall and broke it. My mom has a lot of problems, Will."

"Anna, you don't have to talk about anything but I can be a good listener if you want to vent or get something off your chest."

She was silent for a moment. He gave her a reassuring squeeze and after a moment, she started talking.

#

ANNA

"It's not super-complicated or anything. My dad left two years ago, right after I turned seventeen. Their marriage had been going downhill for years and they fought all the time. I don't think he was cheating but I just got the feeling he didn't want to be married anymore. He and I were never that close. I actually hated the bastard for a lot of things he said to me—you know, always criticizing, nothing I ever did was good enough for him. That might have been fine if he had ever countered it with anything positive but he never did. Anyway, he just went to work one day and never came home. Mom got the divorce paperwork in the mail about a month later."

"That had to be tough on you both."

"I was more relieved than anything but it about wrecked her. In spite of all the trouble they were having, for whatever reason, I know Mom really loved him. She crawled inside a bottle and never really came out. It didn't take long before she'd lost her job. I started working part-time my senior year, then full-time after I graduated, just to keep the power on. I know she got a decent-sized settlement from the divorce. We also got the house paid off, which is good, because Dad had a lot of hidden debt and we got strapped with a bunch of it. Mom swears she's got the settlement money still hidden away but I haven't found it and believe me, I've looked. For all I know she drank it away or she was full of shit in the first place. She's to the point where she gets drunk every day and barely even leaves the house. I don't get her any liquor. We only have one car, so Mom can't go far but—" Anna's voice cracked. "—I'm pretty sure she sees two or three different old guys in the neighborhood and gets booze from them in exchange for ... you know." The thought brought fresh tears to her eyes.

Will shivered beneath her fingers. "I'm sorry, Anna. Do you ever see or talk to your father?"

"No, and I don't want to. I wouldn't even have known he was alive except for the child support checks he sent every month until I turned eighteen. I guess he wanted a fresh start with no reminders of his old life. But it still hurts."

Anna hadn't thought about her father much recently. Since he'd turned his back on her and Florence and left them in the lurch, she had largely put him out of her mind, telling herself she was better off without him. But in those instances where Anna was forced to dwell on his memory, a titanic amount of resentment and anger surged through her mind. Her eyes filled with moisture. She took a deep breath and continued. "That's not even the worst part. Mom seems to think it's impossible that I'm making any money working retail so accuses me of turning tricks on the side."

"What?"

"She constantly calls me a whore. I know it's her guilt and the alcohol talking. It's so low-key and casual now that I don't even respond anymore but like I said, it hurts. I would love to get her into rehab, even if I had to forcibly commit her but we can't afford it. At this point, I don't care about anything else. The house, my job ... I just want her to get better."

123456...8