A Flash of Red

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He nodded.

"I'm sorry for calling the cops on you. I knew they'd been aggressively cracking down on sexual assault lately, after an incident in the department. I thought that would make you back off." Florence wiped her eyes. "That was wrong of me."

Will pursed his lips.

Florence sniffled. "She loves you, Will. I didn't realize just how much until I saw her fight for you and the way you looked at her, I can see you love her. Take care of her. Please."

"I will, Mrs. Harris."

"Florence." Anna's mom gave him a wan smile. "I dreamed about this when Anna was younger, of when she found a man she loved. I imagined him calling me 'Mom' and becoming part of the family. I know we're nowhere close to that right now but maybe in time."

Anna found her voice. "Mom, last night. I ... I didn't mean to slap you."

"Sure you did." Florence returned her gaze to Anna. "I more than deserved it. It's okay, sweetheart, I ..." Her voice cracked. "I won't contact you from rehab and I'm going to ask you not to come see me for a little while. Betty will know how to get ahold of me. She'll know when I'm doing better and if you want, she'll get us in touch. Please don't misunderstand. I'm not placing the burden of our relationship on you. I want one but I want it to be your choice."

Anna's mouth was dry. "Mom, I—"

Florence hugged her. On instinct, Anna hugged her back. For the first time in a while, she noted her mother didn't smell like booze, pee, or sweat. Then she noticed Florence trembling. "Mom, you're shaking."

"Withdrawl." Florence stood back, her hands on Anna's shoulders. "I'm sure it's going to get worse. Don't mind that. Just let me look at you and then you go, okay? You and Will go live life. Be happy." Florence stared into Anna's face before stretching onto her toes and kissing Anna's forehead. "I love you, Annabelle. Now go. Please, before I break down completely."

Will cleared his throat. "Mrs. Har—ah, Florence, we came to get a few of Anna's things."

Florence nodded and ran her hands down her suit jacket. "Of course. Betty and I will go get some breakfast. You get whatever you need. It'll be here later if you want something else." She stepped down the driveway and went to Betty's car without a backward glance.

Betty watched her. "Anna, she really wants to do this."

Anna didn't answer. Her eyes never left her mom's retreating back.

Her aunt stepped closer. She side-eyed Will. "I guess you're leaving town. How will I get in touch with you?"

"Same phone number, Betty. I'll be in Centennial with Will, so just across town from you all. Do you think she's serious?"

"I hope so, sweetie. Addiction is hard to break but she sounds more determined than she has for a long time. We'll give you some time. I'll be in touch when I know something for certain." Betty gave Anna a brief hug and joined Florence in the car. A moment later, they pulled away. Anna thought she saw tears on her mom's cheeks but wasn't sure.

Anna watched them go, her head swimming. Was it possible she could recover some relationship with Florence? She wanted that but Anna was still cautious, wondering if her mother meant it. She couldn't take anything the woman said at face value ... and yet, she wanted it. Deep in her soul, she felt a flicker of hope for a better future and optimism that matched the warmth of the morning sun.

"Hey," Will said. "You sure you're going to be okay?"

She looked at him and the spark of hope flared to a flame of love. Anna smiled. "Yes, baby. I think everything is going to be just fine."

END

1...345678