A Great Day in Moran Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Um..." Amber kept a neutral face. She pondered for a few seconds before saying, "No, nothing." Amber heard his relieved exhale.

"Phew. Oh, thank the Goddess. I'm not usually like that, you know. This was my first time getting drunk. I hate that my memory just went blank."

At that moment, a soldier walked bristly into the hall and loudly announced the arrival of the captain.

"He's here. You should get back to your post," Miklas whispered.

"See you later," Amber said. She smiled at him, and even though she couldn't see it, she knew he was smiling back. He didn't remember. That's a...relief?

As Amber stepped into her spot, Rega walked right next to her. "Morning Amber. What's with you? Why are you smiling to yourself?" Rega said. Amber saw he put away a flask inside his coat's pocket.

"Just enjoying the day. And isn't it too early to drink wine? It's not even noon yet."

"Wine before lunch? What am I, a homeless drunk who just found a bottle of wine? No, my dear elf, this is distilled cherry absinthe. A sip of it will wake up your senses and keep you warm the whole day."

"Keep you warm? It's the middle of summer." Amber quizzed him.

"So? It gets chilly sometimes. Better be prepared."

"How can you drink absinthe anyways? It's bitter."

"That's all you can taste? Not the smooth, gossamer sweet aftertaste behind that thin veil of bitterness?" He looked at her and turned away smugly. "I guess elf's tongue is not as delicate as they say."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

He shrugged. "Sorry, tavern talk. Besides, it's not just about taste. It's about the feeling, the experience, the warmth that spread from your throat to your brain, the flavors that send you to another land. Usually, you forgo the taste to enjoy the others. Nothing is perfect. Well, except one. There's only one drink that can pack everything inside just a sip. It's called Dragon Blood."

"It's not actually dragon's blood, is it?"

"Of course not. Dragon's blood tastes like mud. It's a wine, no longer in production. A bibulous' greatest dream. The best thing that will ever wet a mortal tongue. A drop of it worth ten ounces of gold."

Amber shook her head. "I'll stick with ale, thanks. The taste is good and you don't have to sell your house for a spittle of it."

The mention of ale drew a disgusted look from Rega, which Amber expected. "Great chat, elf girl. I have to greet the captain." He cleared his throat and walked toward the center of the hall. The captain had just come in and was waiting to be formally introduced. Despite the title, he's dressed in civilian clothing. He's a gruffy looking man with a neatly trimmed beard and a handsome, masculine face. Amber guessed that he was in his mid to late 40s.

His head turned from left to right of the great hall, observing the place carefully. He was frowning, and Amber couldn't tell whether something was bothering him or he's just being solemn.

Rega began introducing the man to the whole court. His name was Captain Marten. When Rega mentioned Evelyn's name, he bowed respectfully. Evelyn nodded in return.

"Good day to you, duchess Evelyn. I'm here per your summon, yet I know not why." His tone was loud and clear, typical of someone who's used to shout orders.

"I understand that you served under my predecessor as the captain of his levy?"

"That's correct, my lady. I retired shortly before the war."

"I have good news for you, captain. I hereby recall you from retirement. I am raising levies from the barons to form a standing armed force, and I can think of no one better than you to lead it."

No one better indeed, Amber thought, since it was her idea. She vetted very carefully and he was the most suitable.

Marten's eyebrows narrowed. "You, a Terravi, want me to lead a human army?" His blunt question struck a nerve to the audience in the hall, Evelyn included.

"It's only logical, captain. You're the most capable man in Moran, and you're a human. Who's better to lead a human army? Swear fealty to me, and you are the head of my army," Evelyn said in a neutral voice.

"So, what's stopping me from leading that army in here and reclaim Moran for humans?"

The hall fell silent, not even a single gasp escaped the mouths of the attendees. All eyes were on the captain. His face defiant. Amber's eyes flitted from the captain to her mistress. She saw Evelyn's clenched fists and narrowed eyes, which terrified her as much as the captain's words. Miklas shifted nervously behind her, his hand clutched tightly at his ceremonial halberd.

"For us humans, you are invaders. Are you seriously consider giving me power and trust me not to use it to regain our freedom?"

"You are wrong, captain," Rega stepped in after waiting a few fruitless seconds for Evelyn to rebut. "Your incompetent human lords descended into bitter civil war and have proved themselves incapable of ruling. We take over your kingdom to prevent it from collapsing into complete anarchy. As your neighbor, it is in our interest too to prevent chaos near our border."

Amber stepped up. "Captain Marten, the duchess has not committed crimes against your people, and she has upheld every law that your people are used to. Her generosity is well-known throughout Moran. She is a righteous ruler. And now she is allowing you to take charge of security matters, for your people's good. I ask you, is that better than having orcs patrolling the streets of Moran?"

The hall once again fell silent as everyone awaited the captain's answer. Rega and Amber's arguments had made an impression on his mind since his solemn face softened a little bit.

"What both of you have said are true. I will swear an oath to the duchess, on one condition," Marten said. "If you commit injustice against my people, then I consider myself released from my oath of loyalty. I have served under bad masters before, and I will not let my oath bind me and force me to become the instrument of tyranny again. Do I have your promise that you will not abuse your power and commit crimes against the people, my lady? And can I hear it from the duchess's mouth this time?" He focused solely on Evelyn.

"I promise," Evelyn said. She was curt, and Amber thanked heaven that was all that Evelyn had said.

"Thank you, my duchess," Marten replied. "I swear I will perform my duties as the captain of Moran once more. I will be loyal to you, to serve the people," he said.

As he spoke, Evelyn glared at the man with a hatred Amber had not seen before. He returned her stare in kind after he'd finished. For a few seconds, neither of them blinked.

Amber cleared her throat. "Thank you, Captain Marten. Let me show you your quarter."

"No need, I remember where it was," Marten said, then bowed perfunctorily at Evelyn and walked away. The people inside the hall slowly resumed their activities. Everyone talked in hushed tones and kept the noises down as much as possible.

"I didn't expect that. The man has some issues with his ruler or something," Rega said, then he took a swig from his bottle.

"I was afraid I'd have to intervene there," Miklas said.

"Do you see the balls of that man?" Evelyn seethed. "He dared come in here and gave me demand? Me? His superior?"

"Mistress! Don't clench your fists like that. And not your jaw too," Amber said, leading her mistress away from the peering eyes of the hall. "We need him, mistress. He's good at his job, and the people love him. Besides, he has a reputation as an honest man. Too honest, I see now. But he won't stab you in the back as long as you keep your promise."

"He disrespects me!"

"Please, mistress. He's the best man you have to lead your army. Let's give him a chance," Amber pleaded. Evelyn ignored her and walked away. Amber sighed. At least she didn't object. Amber could only pray that mistress's temper would improve.

She was wrong. A week later, the captain organized a parade through the town's square using fresh troops. The levies usually took a while to fill up, so he wanted to give the people a show to encourage new recruits.

Evelyn's face remained sullen as she watched the new men-human soldiers-stood side by side, preparing for the march. The crowd watched with a rarely displayed enthusiasm, it'd been years since the city last saw a proper parade.

"So far we have recruited about 150 men in the city alone. More are expected to join as soon as the rural areas organize their own's levies. It takes time, but I'm confident we can replace the orcs in two months." Amber read the report to Evelyn.

"And our budget?" Evelyn said in a grim voice, her eyes fixed on the soldiers. Amber swallowed.

"The numbers are good. We're right on track, mistress."

"This doesn't feel right. Things are going well for me," Evelyn remarked.

Amber protested. "Come on, mistress. Don't be cynical. You can't be plagued by bad luck forever."

"Speaking of which," Evelyn muttered, her eyebrows narrowed further. Amber followed her eyes and saw the captain approached the canopy under which Evelyn was sitting. He gave Evelyn a stiff nod, his face was similarly rigid. Then he turned around and shouted orders to his men. They began marching, and a troupe of horns and drums began playing. The crowd cheered.

"See how straight they walk, mistress? I told you the captain is good at his job," Amber said, not looking at the soldiers but on her mistress instead. She's seen the rehearsal a few times. The captain spared no effort in ensuring the new recruits performed their best.

"Sure," Evelyn said. Her face remained unchanged.

"Give him a couple of months, and he can transform these men into a professional army."

"..."

"Do you like the uniforms? The banners are new too," Amber proffered.

"What's on that banner? A goat?" Evelyn asked.

"Yes, it's our coat of arms."

"A damn goat represents us?" Evelyn exclaimed. "Can't they pick another more majestic creature, like a dragon or a lion or even a bull?"

"I told you Moran's economy is entirely based around goats."

"Urg, damn goats," Evelyn grumbled.

The captain ordered his men to stop right at the center of the square, then turned to face them. "Men, you are the first of the newly reestablished army of Moran. You are the latest in a proud line of soldiers defending this great land of Moran, ever since Saint Terry banished the evil cows hundreds of years ago. As tradition dictates, I will now give you a brief history of our army."

Evelyn immediately stopped paying attention and started looking around. The people gathered in a semicircle around the square, watching the new recruits and the captain speaking. The history lesson wasn't popular, and everybody started to look bored, even the soldiers. Evelyn resisted the urge to yawn.

Suddenly a woman from the crowd shrieked. Evelyn turned her head to the left and saw a man ran from the crowd, pushing the screaming woman out of his way, and dashed straight towards her. She could even see the metallic gleam of a knife in his right hand. But before she could react, behind her Miklas jumped like a bear over the man and wrestled him to the ground. He quickly twisted the attacker's hands and knelt on his back, the man dropped his knife and yelped in pain. Miklas was so fast that nobody realized what had just happened until it was over. Seconds later, captain Marten ran toward them with a few men behind him.

"All right. I got it from here." He tapped Miklas on the back.

Under the bulk of the Terravi athlete, the attacker could not move an inch. When Miklas got away from him and Marten restrained the man, he screamed. "Screw you, you devil worshippers. You're not my ruler. And you, captain, why are you serving the enemy? You're better than this." His speech was slurred, and his breath soaked of alcohol.

"You're drunk, man. And I'm not serving the enemy," Marten said emphatically. He turned to face the crowd.

"People of Moran, I agree to take charge of the army because I care about you, all of you. The duchess had promised to respect our rites and customs. There will be no crimes committed against the people, no miscarriage of justice, and no abuse of power. I swear to you all I will keep her to her words. As long as she does so, there's no reason not to give her a chance. Besides, she hasn't proved herself worse than the last duke yet."

The crowd listened to the captain with rapt attention, and they nodded in agreement with the last sentence.

"If any of you have any grievances about me serving the duchess, let me hear it now."

Nobody said anything.

"Good. And Terravis are not devil worshippers. That's superstition. Stop with that nonsense," Marten said, then turned to his men. "Put this man in jail until he sobers up."

Evelyn, with Amber anxiously standing behind her, approached Marten after the drunkard was led away. "That was well-spoken, captain Marten. I thank you for your kind words," Evelyn said in her diplomatic voice.

"I made a lot of promises there. Don't make me regret them, my lady."

Evelyn paused for a second. "You won't, captain," she said sternly.

"I'm glad to hear that," he replied.

"What will happen to the drunkard, captain?" Amber asked, hoping to break her mistress and the captain from the staring contest they're in.

"He tried to kill me, didn't he? That surely merits a sword to the neck?"

"True, but he's also a drunk, and by the look of his clothing, homeless too. He's probably just a man frustrated with life and tried to take it out on you. I'm sure when the alcohol gets out of his system, he'll regret his action deeply."

"Are you seriously defending him?" Evelyn raised her voice.

"I'm not defending his action. I'm just saying, judging by what I see, death is not what this desperate man deserves. I'll give him a talking to and make sure he won't do it again. But, of course, the decision is yours." He folded his arms and waited for Evelyn's verdict.

Amber whispered behind Evelyn. "Mistress, I think—"

"Very well, captain. I pardon this man. Release him when he's learned his lesson. No need to tarnish this day with bloodshed."

Marten actually seemed surprised at Evelyn's decision, or more likely, impressed. His face relaxed. "As you wish, my lady. And all this commotion turns out to be a good thing. Nobody has to hear that ancient history lesson. That drunkard saves us all a good hour. Please excuse me, Lady Evelyn. I have a crowd to tend to."

"And I'm sure that you would let the people know about Lady Evelyn's benevolence," Amber said quickly.

"Will do, my lady," he said, then bowed and walked away. Evelyn watched the captain directed the crowd to disperse in silence. Her stiff lips worried Amber a bit.

"Are you all right, mistress?"

"I'm not hurt if that's what you're asking. But that damn captain. He keeps disrespecting my authority. He talks to me like I'm not his superior." She gritted her teeth.

"He made a good point about sparing that man, mistress."

"Thank you, Amber. I got that. I have enough of today. I'm going back to the palace."

Amber sighed in relief. She's just sulking. It would pass.

Evelyn walked to where Miklas was standing. "Good job today, Miklas." She patted him on the arm, feeling his big, brawny arm. "I know these muscles wouldn't let me down."

"I'm glad, mistress."

"For a big boy, you're as fast as a hare. I didn't even have time to react, and you've already got him on the ground."

"It's just instinct. The guys like to take me by surprise when we practice, so I learn to react fast."

"Huh, so the orcs did well in training you. Maybe I should reward them." She caressed her chin, then proceeded to the carriage. Amber accompanied Miklas as they walked behind Evelyn.

"The guys are getting a reward! I wonder what it'd be," Miklas pondered.

"I'm sure they would moan with excitement when they get it," Amber quipped.

The innocent Miklas didn't get it.

"Why did that man call Terravis devil worshipers?" Miklas asked in a hushed tone.

"Urgh. Stupid superstition, really. Terravi worships Earth Mother because they think she molded them from clay. You know this. Her domain is underground, which humans believe where hell is. Therefore, they think you worship devils. It's a huge misunderstanding of your religion."

"Oh, that's why." Miklas sniggered. "I don't blame them for not understanding us Terravi. Before we opened up, Terravi believed some nasty stuff about the humans too. Mistress's father helped his people learn much more about the world outside Terrava."

"Right. He'd basically built the modern nation of Terrava, by learning from the humans. How ironic that it's the Terravi now rule over them," Amber remarked.

12