A Hero's Rebirth Ch. 04

Story Info
How can Tom use the Respite to prepare to face Kathra again?
35.7k words
4.89
13.6k
56

Part 4 of the 6 part series

Updated 01/08/2024
Created 06/18/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Hey Readers,

Thank you for your patience as I've been writing. I know it has been a wait, but these chapters are long and take a lot from me to write. I hope you like it, and thank you, thank you, thank you, to Bry1977 for all his work helping me edit these. Enjoy the latest chapter.

~NaughtyPaladin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 4

We arrived back in Ealphamir, the entire delegation and... my new slave. My mind was conflicted as I felt her presence through the bond, though she stood behind me. I didn't want a slave. I had fought against slavers multiple times through my military career, as slavery rarely was a solitary crime. But here I was, my slave, clad only in a cloak, stood behind me. Her disgust, anger, pain and sorrow stood out in my mind.

As she looked around Ealphamir, her disgust and anger only grew. I could only guess what propaganda she believed about the wood elves. The poor she-elf had lived for over a hundred years among the Shadow Elves, and I bet there was all sorts of propaganda about their enemies that was fully integrated into Shadow Elf life. My limited exposure to the Shadow Elf queen had given me the distinct feeling she believed wholeheartedly that the Shadow Elves were racially superior to all others. Now she was going to have to integrate with what she believed was an 'inferior race' of elves.

There was a sizable gathering of Wood Elven maidens and a good number of the elders who hadn't accompanied us waiting for our return. There was clearly a significant amount of surprise at how quickly we were returned.

"Sisters, negotiations may not have gone as we planned, but we have six months' Respite." Audriul declared. "This is cause for celebration!"

"Why is a Shadow Elf with you?" One she-elf called.

Audriul hesitated, "She has been placed in Master Thomas's custody as part of the negotiations. As his slave, she will be no threat to anyone here. So worry not. This is a great victory for our people!"

"Shall we call a feast?" One of the elder matrons asked.

"Indeed!" Audriul called. "Let a feast commence this afternoon in the third hour!"

There was a cheer of celebration, and the assembled elves dispersed to prepare the celebrations.

"Perhaps it would be better, if you didn't, bring your slave to the feast." Audriul suggested quietly.

"Stop calling her that." I requested curtly.

"Very well," Audriul accepted, and she turned to the shadow elf. "Sister, what name may we address you by?"

The enslaved elf's jaw clenched and unclenched, then she finally snapped. "I am Clee'Amura."

"Very well, Clee'Amura. I shall address you as such." Audriul acknowledged. "Now, if you will forgive me, I have discussions that must be made to determine how we shall spend our Respite."

The members of the delegation who did not belong to my house headed out to perform their various duties. I took the members of my house and returned to my home. Clee'Amura kept the cloak pulled tightly around her form to try and preserve what dignity she had left.

I could feel embarrassment creep into Clee'Amura as she walked the crowded streets. Messages were flying everywhere as word of the feast spread. She-elves ran the streets, carrying this and that.

I needed to get her clothes, and fast. It wasn't my fault she was given to us naked, and I would never have believed I was going to be given a slave when I woke up this morning. Unlike when Tavorwen had traveled to the Temple of Ages, hoping for a summon and had brought clothes that while they hadn't fit me perfectly, they covered me, I had no reason to expect to be bringing back a naked she-elf. The fact that she was walking through the streets so poorly clothed gnawed at my soul.

I felt great relief as we arrived at the tree I called home. I opened the door, and led Clee'Amura inside.

The relief on my matrons' face turned to confusion as I led Clee'Amura inside. The matrons and maidens were sitting in the living space just inside the entrance to my home, seemingly relaxing.

"Master Thomas, what is the meaning of this?" Diamiutar demanded.

I took a deep breath, ready to try and explain, but Tavorwen stepped in and took over.

"Again, we underestimated the lows to which Kathra would sink," Tavorwen declared. "When she came to negotiate, she presented Master Thomas with an unknown magic. She stated he must accept the tribute, or we'd forfeit the protection of Respite and she'd unleash her armies on us. He accepted the magic, only to find out that it was the transfer magic for a slave sigil. The slave sigil was for Clee'Amura, Kathra's daughter. With that ransom, she has purchased six months' Respite."

"A slave has been brought into our house?" Heilantu recoiled.

"Are you okay, sister?" Lymarith prodded the cloaked she-elf.

For her part, Clee'Amura's eyes swept over the members of the house, her upper lip quivered as she tried not to snarl or sneer at the assembled she-elves. Her disdain and revulsion burned like a coal in my mind.

Diamiutar's face was hard. "Clee... That is a title, not a true part of your name, yes?"

All of our heads turned to the solemn head matron, even Clee'Amura.

The cloaked she-elf's face tightened as she glared at the matron, and her mouth clamped shut.

"Amura, that is your true name, is it not?" Diamiutar reiterated.

The shadow elf's eyes flashed, and the veins in her neck stood out.

Diamiutar nodded and leaned against the wall. She seemed torn between satisfaction about calling out the new she-elf and displeasure about her presence.

I didn't like the way my matrons were banding together against Clee'Amura, or Amura, whatever her name was.

"Hey." I called, a touch of my military leadership slipping through and making it more stern than I intended. "She doesn't have a choice in being here, and we don't have a choice in having her here. She is bound to me, not too dissimilarly to all of you. I will not cast her out, just like I won't be casting any of you out. We need to learn to get along."

"Have you asked her about residual commands from her previous owner?" Diamiutar poked.

Clee'Amura strained again, her hands clenching hard on her hold on the cloak, and Diamiutar smirked.

"What do you mean?" I demanded.

Diamiutar lifted a hand in a half shrug, "She's a slave. Slaves are often given little to no free will among societies willing to employ such magic. In almost all such societies I've read about, the magic will bind a slave to commands from their previous master until their new master modifies them. Otherwise slaves, especially war slaves, may be able to attack their new master. Though, if Amura were to attack you, I would suspect that was the command."

I turned to Clee'Amura. "Is this true?"

She stood still, her throat working as she glared at Diamiutar.

"Answer me." I demanded.

Clee'Amura's eyes clenched and she trembled for a moment, then with a hiss she relented.

"YES!" She snapped.

"Tell me what commands you are still bound by." I requested.

Her eyes slid over to me, and her nostrils flared. "I am never to lie to my Marked. I must never repeat any words I hear from my Marked to another, unless instructed to do so. I must remember everything I hear others speak so if requested, I may repeat them for my Marked. I may never harm the great Kathra... I must never touch a weapon... unless instructed by my Marked."

Sweat began to run down her temple, and I realized she was straining against something. She winced then cried out again.

"I am not to attempt anything until you drop your guard and I am able to obtain a weapon, then I am to slay you and return to El'Muth'Ran." She admitted in defeat.

Diamiutar nodded knowingly.

"How do I change these commands?" I demanded.

Clee'Amura glared at me in defiance.

"If you word it as a command, I believe she must obey." Diamiutar stated with some thought.

I hated to exploit her condition like this, but obviously some of those had to change.

"Answer my question." I commanded.

Clee'Amura tried for a moment to defy the magic, then she finally with a wince spoke. "Any idiot would know you just issue an opposing command."

She growled in frustration, "It's bad enough that I must bear this indignity, but I am shackled to an imbecile."

I noted that Clee'Amura was trembling as she tried to hold the cloak closed.

"Clee'Amura, I order you to never harm me or any of the members of this household." I stated.

Her shoulders slumped. She seemed defeated and disappointed. That such an order would disappoint her concerned me.

"Clee'Amura, you will obey direct orders from the members of the household until I tell you otherwise." I further instructed.

I looked at my matrons. I needed one of my house matrons to clothe the poor she-elf, but I didn't want one that would mistreat her. A moment's thought made it clear who I should send.

"Lymarith, underneath that cloak, our new housemate is naked. Could you take her to get some clothing?" I asked.

"Oh! Of course! Would you please come with me?" Lymarith gently asked the young shadow elf.

Clee'Amura wordlessly lowered her head and followed the tiny wood elf down the hall.

There was silence until several seconds after she was gone.

"You treat her too gently." Diamiutar scolded. "She is of the enemy. She is a Shadow Elf. You can't change her."

I turned to my head matron.

"She is a product of her society and upbringing, yes, but I'm not about to abuse her just because of her birth. She is an elf, just like all of you, as far as I'm concerned. Weren't the High Elves arbiters of justice and equality between the other elves before Kathra orchestrated the massacre? How could you believe that one of your sisters is so lost as to be irredeemable?" I rebuked her.

Diamiutar, Heilantu and Tavorwen averted their eyes in shame.

"...You... you are right," Tavorwen admitted. "We cannot condemn her without even giving her an opportunity for redemption."

"It's a fool's errand." Heilantu insisted. "Even if a shadow elf could be redeemed, it would take a lifetime to undo all that her people have done to her."

"I'm going to try," I insisted.

"Well, I'm done standing here, while you all argue." Creadean declared, and she walked over to sit.

Tavorwen, Narusil, and the maidens who had accompanied the delegation also went and sat.

I felt silly, lecturing my house, my family, about things from their world that they may know more about than me. I shook my head.

"I need some air." I declared. "Be nice to Clee'Amura. I'll be back."

I grabbed my rifles. The weight of the straps on my shoulders felt comforting.

I walked out the door, and began to wander. Aware of my surroundings, but not consciously picking a path. My steps were slow, my eyes darting to the elves scurrying around preparing for the feast in a few hours, but my thoughts were elsewhere.

My foot caught on a step and I stumbled, catching myself.

I looked up and realized I had come to the enormous spruce that held the temple where I had been bound to my matrons. I didn't know why, but I walked into the great hollow inside the tree. As my eyes adjusted to the darkness, I saw a figure standing at the peak of the arch of statues, staring at the statue of the Great Father.

"Thank you for coming." The figure greeted me without turning. "I have been meaning to talk to you, but the threads of fate have been far too dense. Your coming was most timely."

His voice was calm, and piercing. Overwhelming without being loud, and demanding respect while being gentle. I'd heard that voice once before, during my bonding.

"X'Thallion, am I correct?" I acknowledged him.

The head god of the elves turned to face me. In his current form, he looked much like a normal elf. Tall for an elf, he was a few inches taller than me. Unlike every elven male I'd seen so far, he was muscular and strong, though in a graceful and wiry way. His chestnut brown hair was long and spilled down his back. A circlet crowned his fair brow, far too fair to be a wood elf, and his deep green eyes met mine. The angular lines of his face matched that of the elves who worshiped him. His cloak, tunic, pants and boots looked well maintained, but well used. An ornate and intricately curved bow was unstrung on his back with a quiver, and a long thin blade was sheathed at his side. His hands were bare, with the exclusion of two rings on his right hand and one ring on his left. Unlike the last time he had appeared before me, he wasn't glowing and his presence didn't press on me like it had before.

"Ye, good child. I am the Eternal Father of the elven people," the god acknowledged. "Your service to my children has just begun, but I thank you for all you have done."

"Thanks...This is an absolute fucking mess, you know that, right?" I scolded him, feeling surprisingly calm for a man talking to a god.

X'Thallion nodded. "Come, we have much to discuss."

The god extended his arm and branches sprang from the floor, weaving together until they formed a table and two chairs. He sat in one and I walked over and sat, leaning my rifles against the table.

"Strange, but effective weapons." X'Thallion acknowledged. "They won't be enough in the coming days."

My heart sank. "I'll try and figure out something else."

With a wave of his hand, X'Thallion created a pair of goblets full of a red-orange liquid. He drank, and the goblet refilled itself.

"I have no doubt that you have criticisms for how I allowed my children to fall into such circumstances." He opened the conversation.

I took a sip of the drink he provided, unsure how to respond. The liquid was a juice of some sort, sweet and tangy, and I couldn't place what it was composed of.

"Thomas, son of Peter, you lack the capacity at this time to understand the laws and nuances that bind all divine beings, even Elohim who you called God." X'Thallion stated once I was comfortable. "And the time required to increase your capacity and understanding is beyond that which you or I have to spare."

I glanced up at clearly powerful being, with no small concern. Didn't the Respite give us time? Surely...

My mind latched onto the meaning. Kathra, and probably Ya'av behind her, was plotting something. That much was obvious. But the fact that there was an amount of time that could and couldn't be spared meant that I had the capacity to remain the victor, but it would be close.

"Are you going to tell me how to beat Kathra and whatever she's planning?" I pressed the god.

He smirked, "Communing with one who addresses a god so freely is refreshing. No, I cannot relay such information to you, lest I free my matron to do the same with her wayward children."

I blinked, "Wait, you still consider Ya'av... your matron?"

X'Thallion's eyes took on a pained look, "What I consider her is irrelevant. She is my matron, and the lineage of my children she has inculcated to revile their father and family are still my children... And for the first time in eight generations, one of the daughters of the lineage of the Night has been freed from her influence. For this, I thank you."

I cocked my head to the side and tried not to give the god a judgemental glare, but it probably failed.

"You're telling me that despite her betrayal, you haven't divorced Ya'av?" I demanded.

X'Thallion met my gaze, unamused. "A god's word is eternal. There is no such thing as divorce among the divine. I made my oaths and I must abide by them."

That was an interesting notion.

"But what of her oaths to you?" I countered, "If she doesn't keep them, why should you keep yours to her?"

X'Thallion sat back, "Oh, but that is the key to wars between the Gods. The offending Gods tread as close to disobedience as they may, while still abiding by word of their vows."

"What happens when a God breaks their word?" I wondered.

"'When'...? As far as divine memory can stretch, no such infraction of divine law has ever occurred. No god would willingly perform such an act." X'Thallion corrected.

I stood dumbfounded, "There are no gods of lies and betrayal?"

"Oh, gods of lies and gods of betrayal are plentiful as far as divinities go, but a God who has given their word must abide by it, even if lies or betrayal are their domain." X'Thallion informed me, "But their most common ploy is convincing mortals that a Divine Promise has been given, when all that was truly done was a dance of deceitful prose."

I shook my head at the nuisance.

"Regardless, you have in your care the first daughter of the lineage of the night freed from my matron's influence in millennia. Care for her well." X'Thallion instructed. "She will require patience and love to heal the wounds on her soul from my matron's mistreatment. Keep her close, as many of my children will have great difficulty accepting the extricated night elf, so she will need your protection and aid."

I immediately became nervous, remembering the initial response of my matrons.

"Fear not, Amura is safe with my daughter Lymarith as we speak." The patriarchal god assured me.

I took comfort in that.

"I assume you didn't come here just to thank me for Amura's change of masters. What did you really want to talk about?" I pressed.

The god drank again, then he spoke. "I know that while you were under Elohim's stewardship many of the rewards for your actions were adjourned until your afterlife with him in his courts in his celestial plane, but as your afterlife is outside of my domain, I feel obligated to endow upon you a boon, in gratitude for your ventures."

I was taken aback, "What do you mean? Aren't my matrons my reward for helping your children?"

X'Thallion shook his head, "No, your relationships with my daughters are more beneficial for my children than they are for you. A reward which rewards the giver more than the receiver is no true reward."

I sat back, "So, what are you going to do?"

"As the Patriarch of the Exalted Host, I shall bestow upon you a boon of strength." He informed me, "If you are willing to accept it."

A gift of strength from a God? My mind wandered to memories of an animated Disney movie about a mortal with god-like strength and I had to admit, that sounded pretty freaking awesome.

"Uh... yeah. I'll accept it." I agreed.

"Then the Strength of the Host goes with you." X'Thallion declared and a strange static spread through my body. "Now, time is a resource we can scant afford to waste, go and know that the Host is with you."

I took one last drink then stood and offered my hand to the god to shake. He watched the hand for a moment, then accepted it, and we shook.

"I'll do my best." I told him, and turned.

Walking from the temple, I felt renewed motivation and energy. Man, having gods that would appear and talk to their people so readily was a strange dynamic. The weight of my rifles on my back definitely seemed easier, and my steps lighter as my feet carried me home. My mind raced through everything the elven god had said. He'd said a lot, and I realized he'd very carefully danced around what he could and couldn't say. I felt like there was more there than an initial cursory listening had given me.

My mind was so focused that I arrived at my front door well before I even realized I was there. I stood for a second outside my door. I had a lot of thoughts and I needed to process them. There had been a lot that had happened in the last days, and I hadn't had a lot of time to process it.

Reluctantly, I opened the door and stepped inside. Smells wafted from the kitchen, the matrons were spread throughout the house preparing things for the festivities and the feast.

"Oh, you've returned." Lymarith called, pulling the blue skinned Clee'Amura into the room.