A Hunting We Shall Go: Wendel

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Trudy extends her hand and says, "Pleased to meet you. I believe we met at the funeral for poor Wendel."

Carol disregards the extended hand and speaks directly to Mike. "Why are you questioning people? You no longer work for me. I do not want you to go any farther with this charade!"

"Oh, I assure you this is no charade. The investigation will continue by the police and by myself. My first question is, why are you so adamantly opposed to this investigation?"

"I don't have to answer your questions."

"No! No, you don't! Of course that attitude will be relayed to Frank, who has assured us of everyone's cooperation and to the police to further aid them in their investigation. It's entirely up to you. May I remind you that the recorder is running."

She stares at Mike. "So you are going to continue with this investigation. What's the point? Wendel is dead! Alright, I'm opposed because my attorney tells me any findings of death by any other cause than accidental could influence my insurance claim, contrary to the advise you so kindly gave me on the phone. I was afraid that might be the case. Dammit, why are you so stubborn? The police have a finding from the inquest. Just leave it be!"

"Sorry, but my new client is paying to have me find the truth. Did you poison him?"

"What new client? David? His slut of a wife? His hot assed bitch of a sister in Burnaby? Who's got you on retainer and how long?"

"Once again, I'm sorry but that information is confidential. In our interviews I normally ask the questions or my assistant. Please answer the question."

"What question? Did I poison him? Of course not! Why would I?"

"I can think of a number of reasons. Number one, the insurance."

"If I poisoned him there would be no insurance. How stupid do you think I am?"

"You could always claim he ate the mushrooms by accident."

"Your crazy! Who would believe that?"

"Who could disprove that after he was dead? Especially if you had gotten rid of the rum bottle. But he was shot before you had a chance, wasn't he?"

"You think I poisoned my husband? I don't believe this! Me! I hired you to find the poisoner, for God's sakes. I suppose I did that to throw off any suspicion?"

"Exactly! What better way in the situation?"

"You ARE crazy! I loved Wendel. I'm still morning his death and you dare accuse me."

"You loved him so much that you flew into a jealous rage when you found out about Marilyn and his affair. And when you found out he had paid Les to dump you, you decided it was time to rid yourself of him. Is that not the case?"

"He paid Les? What are you talking about? Les wouldn't take his money for that or any other reason. Les left me because of another woman named Darlene."

"It's no good, Carol. Les has already admitted that Wendel paid him off to stop seeing you. He gave him fifty thousand and you found out. Admit it!"

Carol stares at Mike wide eyed with her mouth open. She shrieks, "NO! Nooooo! Not Les." She breaks down and starts crying. "Why would he take the money? I thought he loved me. He would never take anything from me. Oh God, he told you that?"

Trudy speaks up, "Mike, I think she's telling the truth. I don't think she knew. Take it easy, O.K.?"

Carol is weeping and Trudy gives her a tissue from the desk. She pushes Trudy's hand away and puts her hands over her face lowering her head to the desk and sobbing. Over and over she mumbles, "Not Les. Not my Les."

Frank comes bursting into the room and demands to know what is going on. Mike stops him before he can touch Carol and says, "Frank, I'll say this one time only. You promised your cooperation during these interviews. I will not tolerate any interference! Do I make myself clear?"

"Well, I'm certainly not happy with your methods... but I did promise. For Heaven's sake, please speed it up. The woman's cries are disturbing customers in the store. Carol, are you alright?"

Mike points at the door and Frank gives him a belligerent look before he turns and leaves. Carol raises her head and takes the box of tissues from the desk. She wipes her face and says, "I can see why you might think I'm the one, but I did not poison Wendel. We had grown apart and the money was all that really kept me with him. I confronted him about Marilyn and he confronted me about Les. For the sake of my kids I decided to try and make it work and I thought he felt the same. The hunting trip was to be our reconciliation. I wasn't sure how serious he was when I found out he had been with her again; so I didn't tell Les I was breaking it off with him. I didn't really want to tell him because he had grown to be too much a part of my life." Her voice trembles, "I have always found Les to be an honorable man. I'm shocked he would take Wendel's money to..." She can't go on.

Mike says, "Compose yourself, Carol. We'll step out for a moment and give you a break. Please, don't touch the recorder."

Mike nods at Trudy and they step out into the hall. "Well, what so you think?"

"Mike, I think she's telling the truth as she recalls it. She may be deluding herself, unable to admit what she has done, or she may be innocent. I don't think we are going to wring a confession from her today. Who else do we have?"

"Barry. When he comes in at noon. I'd like to question Frank so I could better understand the situation here before the killing. I can't understand why Wendel was shown such blatant favoritism. I don't regard Frank as a suspect... Just a minute! If the reason for the favoritism was something Wendel held over Frank's head, might he not poison him to get rid of his blackmailer?"

"Isn't that a bit far fetched?"

"Hear me out. Wendel was wealthy and the wealthy can afford to find out things about people like you and me that we would rather other people didn't know. What better motivation to dig into someone's past than he's your boss. Up the quick ladder to success in the corporate world."

"God, you make it sound cynical. Did Wendel impress you as being that kind of guy?"

"No, he didn't. But then, he didn't appear to me to be an incompetent manager, either. How much do we really know about our fellow man?"

"So, do you want to question Frank or not?"

"Do you think you can dig up any dirt on him?"

"Hmmm, I can try."

"Let's leave it at that, then. What about Carol? Think there is any point in questioning her further?"

"Not till we speak with Wendy Knox. By the way, who's our new client?"

"We are."

"Mike, is that ethical?"

"Why don't you check on that, too?" He grins.

Mike goes back in and says they have decided to postpone any further questions for the time being. He says they will be in touch with her when they need more answers. She leaves.

Mike says, "Let's go get a bite of early lunch. Barry won't be in for another hour and a half."

Trudy agrees and they go out into the Skillet Restaurant where they find Marlene chatting with Sheila, Frank's wife. As they join them Marlene says, "I hear you've been pretty rough on Carol. Was it warranted?"

"Most certainly. Sometimes it's the only way to get at the truth. Tell her I'm right, Trudy."

"He's right."

"I mean you explain it."

"It's a simple word made up of two letters and is usually called a pronoun. It's spelled just like it sounds, I and T."

"Trudy!" She's bent down with her hands folded across her chest and shaking with suppressed laughter. Marlene and Sheila look at them as if there is something wrong with them. The play on words has gone right over their heads.

Mike goes to introduce Trudy and Sheila but they say they met at the funeral. He asks them to join Trudy and himself in a bite of lunch but Sheila has to go and Marlene has had a bite.

The waitress comes and takes their orders. Mike admires her legs as she leaves and Trudy snaps her fingers in front of his face. He grins sheepishly at her and says, "You can't shoot a man for just thinking?"

"Oh yeah? Watch me!" She holds her finger out at him like a gun and cocks her thumb with the other hand. She smiles and says, "Still want to check out those gams, partner?"

He laughs and the other two women join in. Marlene says, "Trudy, I like your style." Sheila gets up and agrees as she leaves.

Marlene and Trudy get talking about Christmas gifts as Mike runs the interviews through his mind again. He can't decide who's telling the truth and who might be lying. Some untruths will be covered by reasons other than the crime, he knows. He runs the interviews again in his head, but then dinner arrives and he hears Trudy saying, "... I'm sure she'd love to meet you. I think it's a great idea."

"What? What are you two talking about?"

Marlene says, "He dozed off on us again. The poor little fellow just can't handle two of us. What are we ever going to do?"

Trudy comes back with, "I can't imagine trading him in for a new model. Who would want him? Besides, he's house broken."

"Yes, I guess we'll just have to keep him."

"I suppose we will."

"If you girls are finished, what was the great idea you were talking about?"

Trudy answers him; "You're bringing Marlene and the kids down to our place for Christmas day so she can meet Cookie. I think it's about time."

"She can meet her today, if she wants."

Marlene says, "I guess I could if you're done here in time. I do have to be home when the kids come from school."

"You could take the car home if we are still working on the interviews. Trudy can always run me home later."

They decide to do it that way. Then Trudy reminds Mike that he wanted to try and see Wendy today. He mulls that over and says, "We still have three quarters of an hour. Why don't you and I run and see if we can find her, while Marlene keeps her eye open for Barry. She can tell him we'll be right back. Think that might work?"

"It might take longer than an hour."

"Let me check that schedule Frank gave me. If he's coming in on shift at noon, he can wait. If he's coming in just for the interview, I guess we better wait." He checks the schedule and finds Barry is not due in to work until Wednesday. "I guess we better wait and see him. We can always go after the interview. Marlene may not get the chance to meet Cookie today, after all."

They pay for lunch and browse around the store for half an hour. Barry hails them when he comes in and they go right to the office with him. Mike introduces Trudy and they get down to the interrogation. Mike kicks it off.

"Do you know why Wendel was favored so by Frank?"

"I think you would have to ask Frank that. In my opinion, I think Frank defers to wealth. That is the opinion of most around the store. For instance, you will find he still respects and caters to Carol or at least treats her different than the rest. As Wendel's wife or even on her own she is still regarded as a wealthy woman. That's just the way Frank was raised, I guess."

"Did you ever hear Wendel threaten Frank?"

"No. Nor did I ever hear Frank berate Wendel, as he richly deserved upon occasions."

"Did everyone bow down to Wendel's wishes?"

"Not everyone all the time, but if you wanted to last at the store you learned to do it Wendel's way."

"Was Wendel the cause of anyone being fired recently?"

"Not recently. The most recent replacement he was involved in was a fellow hired to work in the sporting goods department. He's now working in Calgary. He wouldn't accept Wendel's nonsense and he was sharp. Before Wendel had his way, the guy was transferred to Calgary at his own request. That was nearly a year ago."

"So there is no one recently let go that would bear a grudge against Wendel?"

"Not that I'm aware of."

"How'd you manage to beat Peggy Cope out for the Associate's position."

"I have the company wide experience edge on her. Straight seniority. She is qualified and we work well together. I hope she will come to the new store in Abbotsford, if I get it. I think she feels the same."

"I haven't heard any complaints on your management skills. I wish you well as the new Associate Manager. If anything else occurs to me, I'll contact you again. Thanks for coming in, Barry." Trudy smiles and wraps up the recorder and pads. They move out of Barry's office and look for Marlene.

As they walk through the store Mike says, "I take it that you concur with my feeling that he is not really a suspect."

"I agree. It wasn't a waste of time hearing his views, but like you, I think he's not a likely suspect. There's Marlene."

They catch her attention and join up with her. Mike says, "Where's all your parcels? I thought you were shopping?"

"They're in the car. I didn't want you guys to see everything."

"Oh, come on Trudy, let's go peek in the trunk."

"He's just like a child, isn't he, Marlene?"

They go out to the parking lot and Mike says there is no sense in taking both cars. They all pile into the Mustang and head out to Vedder Crossing. At the bridge by the army base Mike turns left onto Chilliwack Lake Road and they drive for about three miles. Trudy is the one to spot the small cabin nestled in the woods and Mike finds a spot to park off the road. It's misty and there is small raindrops in the air blowing around but not too cold.

Mike and Trudy hike to the house and Mike notes there are no power or telephone lines out here. As they near the house he makes out about four cats in the window. He steps up onto the wooden stoop and knocks on the unpainted door. They hear a scramble and a crash from inside then all is quiet. Mike shivers in the damp and knocks again. Trudy tugs at his sleeve and nods towards the woods along side the house. In the shadows amongst the trees stands a tall figure wrapped in what appears to be one long winding of black cloth with a hat on her head with a crushed in crown. She stands and watches them.

Mike raises his hand in salute and calls out, "Wendy Knox, may we speak with you?" He studies the spot where she stood. She's gone. "How'd she do that? Where'd she go?" Trudy shrugs.

Mike calls out again, "Miss Knox, we would only like to speak with you for a minute." All is quiet except the slight hiss of falling rain. Mike shakes his head and starts to go back to the car. He stops. She's standing by the car. He smiles and says, "She's over by the car. Come on."

"Where?"

"By the... She was right there beside the car! What the hell?" He calls again, "Miss Knox, we won't hurt you. We're friends of Carol's. We want to speak to you about Carol."

"What do you want?" The voice comes from behind them and is very deep for a woman's. Mike spins around but can't find her.

Trudy says, "She's by the far corner of the house. Let me talk to her." She steps past Mike and says, "Hi there, Wendy. Do you mind if I come over to the house and see the cats. My little girl, Crystal, just loves cats and I've been thinking of getting her one. What kind of cat do you think a six year old little girl would like?"

As she talks she walks slowly closer. "I see you have a lot of different kinds of cats. They are great company, aren't they? I knew a girl once who didn't trust anybody but her cats. Her and I were friends, but no one else was allowed to come around her place. I thought it was really neat that way. Are any of your kittens for sale?" She is standing within ten feet of the girl.

"You don't want to buy a cat. Crystal would like to have one, though. She's in school right now. It's noisy and they have just come in from recess. She is very pretty. I will give you one for her." She vanishes.

Trudy jumps. "Yiiikes! Where are you?"

The door opens behind her and the girl stands with a kitten in her arms. She holds it out to Trudy. "Take this to Crystal. It's called Rowe. It was meant for her."

"I don't know. We live near the water and city streets. It's not a good place for cats."

"You have your cat. Now Crystal has her own. Take it!"

"I'll take it to my daughter if you will let us have a talk. Can we come in?"

'She of the woods' points a finger at Mike and says, "He comes too." She turns and seems to float into the house. Mike finds his feet have turned to stone. With great effort he lifts one at a time and goes towards the gaping dark door where Trudy is standing. Time seems to be going so slowly for him. He thinks, am I asleep somewhere and dreaming?

Inside the house is very rustic with a washbasin on a cabinet to one side and a bucket of water beside it. A plain wooden table is centered in the front room with wooden benches around it. The corners of the room are gloomy and obscure but the girl is clear and close by. Her pinched features show she must suffer from malnutrition and the fingers on one hand holding the black cloth are long and stained. Her hair is snow white and straight, flowing back over her shoulders from where it spills out from under the crushed crown of her hat.

She maintains a pleasant demeanor, neither smiling nor frowning, but always watchful. Most striking are her eyes. Black with large pupils, they miss nothing and he never sees her blink. Mike speaks, "Thank you for seeing us." He notices she is across the room instead of by the table where she was when he spoke. "Please don't leave." He speaks softly. She is closer.

Speaking just above a whisper, Mike says, "You know the secrets of the forest. The red mushrooms you brought for Carol. Will you give me some?"

"She did not poison her husband. She who laughs in the night as he is dying poisoned him. She has her vengeance and it is well deserved. Carol got no mushrooms from me. Now go." She places the kitten in Trudy's arms and smiles. "Crystal is waiting."

Together they walk slowly from the house and never look back until they reach the car. Then Mike spins around but all he sees is the mist-shrouded house in the wood. Trudy says, "Don't bother looking for her. You won't find her." She walks to the car and gets in with the kitten. Mike scratches his head and climbs in the driver's side. Trudy is petting the kitten and Marlene is looking confused. "Why did you take the cat?"

Trudy says, "It's for Crystal."

"Shouldn't you have seen the girl that lives there? She'll miss it, I'm sure."

"We did see her. She gave us the cat."

"No you didn't. I watched you knock and stand there, then step inside and come out. There was no one with you."

"Wendy invited us in and spoke with us, then gave me the kitten. You must have seen me talking to her by the house."

"There has been nobody except you two silly asses standing out there by the house. I'm not blind, you know!"

"You seen us go inside, didn't you?"

"Yes, and you came right back out with that girl's cat in your arms. I don't think it's right to take it."

"Michael, you talk to her."

"I'm still trying to figure out who 'she who laughs in the night' is. Trudy is telling it like it was. You must have dozed off for a moment."

"I'm not the one who does that, that's your trick! Oh hell, let's get out of here. This place gives me the creeps. I feel like I've been here before and I don't like it!"

They drive back out to the Zellers parking lot and Mike looks at his watch. He shakes it and asks if either of them has the time. They both agree his watch is right. It's five after one, the same time they headed out to Vedder Crossing.

Mike says, "This is impossible. I'm going in to check the time in the store." He comes back out shaking his head. It's now ten after one. He climbs back into the car and says, "We had to have been at least an hour and we didn't finish with Barry until near one. Something is really screwy here. We'll follow you home, Trudy."

Trudy takes the kitten and goes to the Sprint. They take off for Clarke Drive. Mike follows her closely and at the five corners he turns onto Young right behind her. He dodges and swerves to miss an open manhole and exclaims, "My God, did you see that?"

1...3031323334...36