A Hunting We Shall Go: Wendel

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Marlene says, "I thought you were going to hit it. Who would ever take the cover off and leave it unmarked... How did Trudy miss it? She's right ahead of us. I didn't see her swerve. Did you?"

"She didn't. And that car's wheelbase is too narrow to have missed it. I didn't even see her bump when she went over it." They follow into the driveway at number fourteen on Clarke and park beside Trudy. Mike jumps out and is inspecting her car as she gets out.

"What's the matter, Mike? Did I hit something in the parking lot?"

"The open manhole when you turned onto Young. Didn't you see it?"

Trudy grins and says, "Now don't you go getting screwy on me. It's bad enough Marlene couldn't see Wendy. Bring the tapes and recorder, please." She carries the kitten in the house.

Mike goes back to the car and gets the stuff out. Marlene says, "What did she say? How did she miss it?"

"She didn't see it."

"What? You're kidding. How could she miss it?"

"I guess she did. I can't see a mark on the car."

They go inside and Trudy does the introductions. Mike notices Rowe lapping milk out of a saucer in the kitchen. Trudy's cat sits watching it from across the room. Trudy and Marlene are joking with Cookie over her pretending they were a pair of lesbians. They chat and Cookie serves coffee. Marlene hurries hers because she says she has to be home by two thirty. Soon she gives Mike a kiss and takes off for home with the Mustang.

Mike and Trudy start reviewing the tapes but have a hard time concentrating on them. They are still trying to figure out what happened out at Wendy's. Finally Mike gives up and says, "Let's have another cup of coffee. Crystal should be home soon. Where's her kitten?"

"I don't know. It was in the kitchen."

Mike exclaims, "Well, did you ever? Look at that. It's sitting at the door as if waiting for her to come home."

When Crystal comes in the kitten immediately rubs up against her leg and she exclaims, "Oh Mom, you got him. You brought Rowe home." Mike and Trudy at the table and Cookie in the kitchen door watch her with the cat as she reaches down to pet it. With her hand on it's back she looks up and her face turns serious. She says, "Rowe will look after me and my sister until midnight on the day of her birth of twelve years." She shakes her head and blinks a few times, then says, "Nice kitty. Come on."

Mike looks at Trudy and says, "What did she say?"

"Crystal, come here to Momma."

Crystal comes to her and says, "Thank you, Mom. He's just perfect."

"What did you say about that cat when you petted him?"

"Nice kitty, and he is."

"Before that when were petting him?"

"I don't know, Mom. I think I said you brought him home from the lady in the woods? Didn't you?"

"How do you know about the lady in the woods?"

"She told me that Rowe was coming home for me and ...the baby, I think."

"When did she tell you?"

"Just after recess at school."

Trudy looks up at Mike who says, "Don't look at me. I can't make hide nor tail of it."

"Mike, can you take that cat back? I don't want it here."

It comes and rubs against her leg and she looks pensive, then reaches down to pet it and says, "It's just a kitten. It'll be O.K. Forget it, Mike."

Crystal goes dashing off upstairs to change out of her school clothes and Rowe goes bounding after her. Cookie stands in the kitchen door with a frown on her face. Mike and Trudy seem to have forgotten all about the cat and are back at studying the interview tapes.

When they have absorbed as much as they can from the tapes they turn to other business. Mike goes over accounts with her and checks the files on work that Chuck has been doing. Cookie takes a call and gives it to Trudy. She talks for a few minutes then nods at Mike and he takes the phone. It's ABC Security in Abbotsford and Mike chats with them a few more minutes. They're sending more work his way; another insurance claim from Aldergrove. Mike instructs Trudy to contact Chuck and have him pick up the paperwork on it. It's closest to him so he can work on it. He checks his watch and prepares to leave.

Trudy gets cuddly and tries to lure him into the bedroom. Mike explains, "I'll pick you up when I come through with the load. I'll call first. We'll have lots of time together. Don't spoil Marlene's night now. I'm going to try and make it for supper with her and the kids. See you later, anyway. Come on and give me a lift home."

She wheedles, "You are home. Come to our bedroom and make love to me. Marlene won't mind. She probably expects us to already."

"Sorry, Trudy. Fair is fair. Be patient, my love."

"I guess you're right. Go out to the car. I'll be right there." He goes to leave and she tosses him the keys. "Can you start it for me?"

Soon they are rocketing along the freeway for Abbotsford. Trudy comments, "Does it ever feel funny to ride over here in the passenger seat. I keep reaching with my foot for the pedals."

"I wish I had to reach. How can you drive this little bug?"

"If you didn't have such big feet..." She grins as he glances her way. "Well, they are. You're big all over." She thinks about that for a moment and giggles as Mike shakes his head and says, "I wouldn't touch that line with a ten foot pole."

He calls Marlene and she says she'll hold supper. "You sure made that a quickie!"

"We didn't. We reviewed the tapes and called it a day."

"That's all?"

"That and some files. Oh yes, and we got some more work from ABC by phone for Chuck. See you in a bit."

He gets off the phone and Trudy says, "You want me to pack a lunch for morning?"

"You can if you want. Not thinking of making more donuts, are you?"

"I can." She grins, "I will! I'll make jelly ones and some Bavarian cream ones. I'll pack some sandwiches, too, and lots of coffee."

"Milk!"

"Well, milk then, and some coffee for you."

He puts his hand on her knee, "That's my girl." He smiles and she beams, putting her hand on his.

He kisses her in the driveway and says he'll see her later, then she leaves and he goes in for supper.

Late that night after making love to Marlene, Mike thinks that life could not be much better.

CHAPTER FOURTEEN:

A KILLER UNCLOAKED

As the sun peeks over Mount Cheam and long rays filter their way into the farmer's fields throughout the western seaward side of the Fraser Valley, a lone eighteen wheeler takes the off ramp for Chilliwack. Already the driver is chatting with his partner on the cell phone and she's promising to meet him at the corner by the slough. Puffing black smoke as he shifts gears, the diesel whines and his Jake brake chatters as he slows for the lights at the five corners in the center of town.

Getting the green, he tromps it and swings left onto Young Road and continues to Clarke Drive. He sees her far ahead and flashes his lights as he slows, finally coming to a rest beside her. He bounds down and scoops her up in his arms for a morning kiss, then deposits her on the ladder to the cab. He tosses her gear up to her and she stows it on the console.

By the time he goes around and climbs up on his side she has pushed the gear into the sleeper and is waiting for him on the console. He seats himself and bounces a bit on his air ride seat to get comfortable while she throws her arms around his neck and nibbles at his ear. She kisses his cheek and his neck, telling him how much she has missed him. He laughs and says he saw her only last night, but she persists so he turns and gives her a good long kiss to keep her happy.

Then it's out on the road and Calgary bound.

As they run out of valley and enter the Coquihalla pass Trudy totes out donuts and coffee. Aware of Mike's possible censure, she says, "One cup. That's all I'm allowing myself this morning so I waited to have it with you. Mmmmm, does it ever taste good when you only have a few cups a day. And I'm developing a taste for milk. How about that?"

"Everything is O.K.? You're not overtired or anything? Did you get a good rest last night?"

"I did. I didn't think I'd be able to sleep, but Crystal and her new kitten came and crawled in with me. I slept like a log and I feel great this morning."

"You got her a kitten, did you? An early Christmas gift?"

Trudy looks puzzled for a moment. "Weren't you with me when I got it? I think I got it yesterday. What'd we do yesterday? We did the interviews at the store and took Marlene out to our place to meet Cookie. Hmmmm, didn't a lady give me the cat?"

"I don't know. I didn't see any cat."

"Must have got it the day before yesterday, I guess. Anyway, I got a great night's sleep so watch out if you slow down today. I'll jump your bones before you have a chance to yell." She laughs and Mike does, as well.

She feeds him donuts and coffee as they climb the grade and when they reach the summit they both go use the can. Mike boosts her back up the ladder ahead of him and she lets him have his usual feel of her bottom, before tumbling in on the console and trying to ply him with more food.

"No sandwiches yet, my love. Save them for later. We've still got a long haul ahead of us."

"Same old limerick in there about the lady from France. Have you heard any good ones lately?"

"Nope. Guess you'll have to make up your own."

She's full of boundless energy this morning and can't sit still. She bounces a bit on the console and exclaims, "I know. We can sing. Come on, Away, away, with fife and drum; here we come, full of rum; looking for women who peddle their bums; in the North Atlantic Squadron. Come on, Mike, give me a verse."

"Hmmm, The cabin boy, the cabin boy; the dirty little nipper; he filled his ass with broken glass and circumcised the skipper." She joins in, Away, away, with fife and drum; here we come, full of rum ..." They while away the miles into Merritt only easing up to stop at the toll booth. As they pull away the girl is shocked to hear, " In Montreal, in Montreal, the women line up from wall to wall, but all we get is sweet fuck all in the North Atlantic Squadron. Away, away with fife and drum..."

They settle down between Merritt and Kamloops. The roads have been in excellent winter condition so far and they talk business. Mike is saying, "...it certainly was difficult speaking with her without her husband being there. When Peggy said something you like to have him there so you can see what affects her words have on him. Remember how well that worked with the swingers in POCO. The real estate guy and his wife."

"I know what you mean. I could set up a meeting of all the suspects and their mates. Would that work?"

"It might. Who would you include?"

"Peggy and John Cope, for sure. What do you think about Barry and his wife?"

"Yeah, best to include them and we should try to get Marilyn to come and her husband. We'll have to try and pry him from the bar."

"We could have the meeting in the Empress? What about Dave Ferguson and his wife? We didn't get a chance to talk with him yesterday. He was off with the flu."

"Right and Wayne, I guess. I don't know about Carol."

"Is she a suspect?"

"Seems to me we cleared her but I can't remember why. Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to have her there. I think that's about it."

"That's a party for ten; quite a few to handle at one time. I'll see if we can split it into a party for six and a party for four. Do you think that'll work?"

"All we can do is try." He pulls into the weigh scales at Kamloops and gets the go ahead. He pulls out and in again to check brakes. Then it's rolling down the hill on the bypass through Kamloops. As they fly along out near Monte Creek, Trudy digs out sandwiches and milk. As she feeds him she gets talking about her pregnancy and how happy she is. "It's the funniest thing. I'm convinced I'm carrying your son and Crystal insists she's going to have a sister. Do you suppose I'm carrying twins?"

"Would you like to have twins?"

"As long as they're healthy, I don't care how many I'm carrying. Have you noticed my breasts are firmer? You never even noticed, did you? Pull over and take a look."

Mike grins and says, "I can't just pull over with this thing like you can with the Sprint. I need forty acres to get it off the highway."

"You're not even interested in the changes in my body and I'm having your baby." She sulks and Mike looks for a wide shoulder. In the flats by Chase he pulls into a roadside stop. He turns and looks at her.

"O.K. Let me see."

With a triumphant smile she opens her blouse for him and he nods his head. "Yes, they do look fuller. I think you're right." He turns back to the wheel and she reaches out, taking his hand.

"Feel. You can tell even with your eyes shut. Feel here under the breast, no, up a bit. Can you feel it?"

He runs his hand under her breast and feels along the bottom of it, then brings his cupped hand up under and around the orb. He grins and says, "You're right. The little folds under there are nearly gone and they are firmer. Is that from your pregnancy?"

She nods happily and says, "You can tell the difference, can't you? I knew you could. I haven't even started to put on weight yet, but they are firmer. Isn't that something?"

He grins and leans forward to kiss a nipple. Then he turns back and starts the rig rolling. Trudy takes off her blouse and tosses it on the dash. She reclines on the console next to him.

They make it in to Sicamous by noon and Salmon Arm by one. Mike is hoping to get well up into the Rogers Pass before dark. Trudy is dressed again and sleeping by him on the console. He glances at her occasionally as she sleeps, her head resting on a pillow she brought from the sleeper. She looks so vulnerable when she is sleeping and she always wants to be close. Yet when awake she plays the tough, the bodacious, the contemptuous woman who can handle herself and does only what she wants to do. He feels a warmth for this woman that he finds hard to explain. He has been with many women but none of them stuck like her.

They move through the curves and up over knolls, then down along the lake at Three Valley Gap. Mike babies his rig, feeling her every response to his touch. Below the cliffs and by the restaurant and museum, move the wheel with the road over the bridge and feel her roll on the slight downgrade, then accelerate for the upgrade, hand to the stick gently listening for a drop in the revs, no need to shift the hand lingers and she sings his song as she rolls along. Mike drives his love and loves to drive. The women that flash through his life and even those who linger little realize the love affair he has with his steed. He was born to drive!

The sun is still well up as he comes into Revelstoke and he knows he won't make the lodge before dark but he will make it a long way up into the pass. Trudy stirs and stretches. "Was that Revelstoke?"

"Sure was. We're making good time. Traffic's light and the going is easy."

"Better find a place where I can have a leak. I got to go so bad I can taste it."

"Hang on, I'll find a spot."

He watches the road and finds a wide shoulder with bushes nearby. He slows and rolls onto the shoulder. Before the truck comes to a full stop she's trying to climb over him. He pops the door and lets her go down the ladder. She runs around the truck and into the bushes where she squats. Before she's done she glances back and waves at him with a laugh. From his high perch he can look down on her but the bushes screen her from anyone at road level. He grins as she comes running back and reaches down to help her up. He says, "Shit! I didn't have to go until you put the idea in my head."

He goes down to visit her bushes and waves as she has done. Her response is to pull on the air horn. Mike jumps and pisses down his leg. He swears all the way back to the truck and swears worse when he sees her bent double with laughter on the console.

In long shadows and twilight they pop through the snow sheds and near the climb to the summit. Mike guns it and wheels through the curves as he starts the grade. One hand on the wheel and the other on the stick, he plays with the clutch and accelerator, downshifting by ear as the grade increases. Smooth, so smoothly they creep up the hill and as he feels the revs increase, knows he's topping the hill before he can see a difference. As the lights of the lodge come into view he's shifting up again and moving at a fair clip.

He catches up to cars that have passed him by the time he makes the downside snow sheds. Trudy laughs as they go through the sheds, noise increasing and abating, lights reflecting and dispersing as they flash inside and out into the open, shed after shed. Brake lights light the road ahead and the slippery spots show like neon as tourists try to figure out the road in front.

Passing the last shed he brakes for the brake check area and swings in off the road. He climbs down in moonlight and the stars are like jewels you could reach out and touch. The cliffs and glaciers seem only feet away, instead of a mile or so. The air is cold and still. He hears the snow squeak as he treads upon it in his tour of the rig. His one pant leg freezes his leg every time the wet material comes against it. Passing cars click with a rapid beat of their snow lugged tires singing on the ice and pavement. He comes back to the cab rubbing his hands together and shivering. Teeth chattering he says, "God, is it cold out there! But it's a beautiful night."

They move on.

By eleven, midnight local time, he pulls into the Husky in Golden. They go for a bite to the service center and Jena greets them with hot coffee. He insists she drink her's with half milk so Jena brings a glass of milk as well. "Mike, whatever did you do? Wet yourself? I thought you were grown up?"

Trudy explains and Mike goes to get clean pants from the truck, leaving them laughing together. He grabs a shower and changes then joins them again. Now they are talking about babies and she congratulates him. She says how astounded she is that Marlene and Trudy are friends and quite aware of each other. No one else is in the restaurant so they chat with Jena while they eat. Mike calls in to central dispatch and they advise him to either catch some sleep in Golden or Calgary. They leave it up to him and he leaves it up to Trudy.

"Let's sleep here. We have showers and hot coffee right at our fingertips."

"There's showers at the terminal in Calgary."

"For ladies?"

"These here aren't for ladies."

She grins and says, "They are if they have a good lookout."

"I'm not much good at that. I'm too busy being a look in, not out." He grins causing Trudy and Jena to laugh.

They retire to the sleeper for the night and Trudy insists he look at her breasts again. He not only looks, but feels and sucks on one until she says it's time to do something else.

Later he watches while she grabs a shower and they go to get some sleep. In a few hours Mike slips out of the bunk and into a jogging outfit. Sliding behind the wheel he pulls out for Calgary. By sunup he's just past Lake Louise and entering the Bow Valley.

Trudy slips out beside him in her bare skin and cuddles up on the console. "I was going to wake up early and get you some coffee. Where are we?"

"Not far out of Calgary. Another hour or so."

"Mmmmm, you didn't wake me up with any love making this morning." She wrinkles her nose and uses a finger to poke him in the ear. It's wet and she's grinning.

"I hope that's spit on your finger?" He regards her with mock seriousness.

"What do you think?" She looks coy.

"I really don't want to think."

"Just as well." She giggles

"Trudy!" He shakes his head as she tries to insert her finger again. "Stop that!"

"Or what?"

"Dammit! I have to have this load in there this morning."

"You didn't deliver my load this morning." She reaches for his ear again. He moves his head to one side and grins.