A King's Legacy Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Well done, panther's son." The boy joined the rest of the warriors for the usual training from then on. As it turned out, Aster, Stahl, Oust, Captain Rix, and Mollis were quickly revealed as the most capable in the group, and began combining efforts to further elevate their allies as well. Slowly but surely, Aster was winning the respect of his comrades as the days in the desert sun faded into new nights. It was a few short days later, only two nights before the full moon, that the traveling group finally made contact with other travelers in that barren landscape.

It was late into the evening, and the party was just preparing to stop for the night when a shouting beast exclaimed they saw someone approaching in the distance. The majority of the group, including Aster and the prince, were told to fall back, hiding their identified members as Captain Rix and Mollis went ahead a ways with Stahl to intercept their company. After what felt like an eternity to the human, he saw his wolf and allies returning to the group alongside a wagon pulled by to feral oxen. From the drivers seat, Aster could make out a fluffy black and white husky commanding the reigns. There appeared to be two more beasts inside that the boy couldn't quite identify from his position near the end of the beasts, hidden from view. Captain Rixator's booming voice announced the guests.

"WE HAVE GUESTS JOINING US, I EXPECT YOUR BEST BEHAVIOR BEASTS!" The bull stomped one hoof, all the soldiers present, Aster included now, called out in unison. "SIR!"

When it was safe to reveal the more rare assets counted among their number, Aster and Prince Tyfin came forward to greet the three beasts. The husky, who seemed to be somewhere in his late thirties, stepped forward first, extending a bow to the prince before him as he made his introduction.

"Dally O'Day! Bard, Vagabond, trader, and professional teller of tales, at your service, your highness." The husky had on a large hat, with a large fluffy feather adorned in the band. As the husky motioned to the two beasts to his left and right, he made their introductions as well. "This burly mountain of fluff to my left is the vastly talented, yet incredibly reserved, musician known simply as Milky." The beast in question was a larger dog of some sort, covered entirely in a fuzzy white, thick coat of fur that stuck out in every which way, giving the canine an appearance similar to a sentient pile of snow, and perhaps just as soft natured. Dally pointed to the peacock on his right then, as he made the next introduction. "And this lovely, mysterious lady is the ever enigmatic Madame Mist, a teller of prophecy, gifted with a voice that could appease even the gods! We are pleased to be in such vast company to share the evening with." The dramatic husky finished his statement with a proper bow, extending his arm before himself in a swinging motion as he did so. The husky looked to Aster then, adding a bit just for him. "And for the rare opportunity to entertain a human in this day and age." And with that, the traveling force found quite the welcomed distraction from their tiring journey in the form of good company and entertainment.

Dally and his crew had many gifts to share with their newfound allies, in the forms of good food, good wine and mead, and wonderful performances of song. To asters delight, firewood was among those gifts. It was about an hour into the night that the husky motioned over to the fluffy white dog, Milky, who started strumming four notes on their lute. Aster found the sight of such a large beast playing such a tiny instrument a bit comical, and was surprised by how accurate the dog was able to strum the chords, considering the fur on his paws completely shrouded the strings from view. Even so, as Milky fell into the rhythm of strumming away four steady notes on repeat, Dally began to sing, telling a story that even Aster soon recognized, although in a far different medium than he had ever heard before.

Gather round, and hear the tale,

As five great heroes once were hailed,

To save this land from fate so sure and sound.

The five great beasts they stood against,

Made the strongest kings repent,

For the folly of the path they found.

For the beast who ruled the sky,

with flaming wings that burned so bright,

A bow was forged to tame the very wind.

For those that seek to wield this power,

Must speak their truth, in darkest hour,

And pledge their heart to serve those called a friend.

For the beast who claims the seas,

Whose frigid chill can make them freeze,

A trident fell to part the roaring waves.

And should this be the strength you search,

One must break their greatest curse,

And change their view to match the day and age.

For the beast who ruled the mountain,

That left the very earth resounding,

A sword was born to mend the craggy scar.

But should you wish to tame this blade,

From your heart, all doubt must fade,

And trust your sword to he who fell too far.

For the next a soul must know

The loss of all, it's mournful hold.

The beast of death gave birth unto the shield.

And if the jaws should seize too tight,

And swallow the shield, and all it's light,

The bearer will be tasked his rage to yield.

And for the last, the beast of life,

A prodigy must see the light,

And know the strength they had was all for naught.

For selfless cause, their time will end,

Their loss of life, turns to a win,

The gift of breath will find it's way was taught.

So hear me now, should beasts return,

And threaten more, this world to burn,

The goddess calls her sister's grace to fight.

But should you seek the gods to rest,

The five must pass their final test,

And give such gifts so she reclaims her light."

Aster was absolutely absorbed in the wonderful rendition of his favorite bedtime story, so much so that Stahl found himself encaptivated by the sight of his human's eyes held wide in delight. As the husky sang his tale to the beasts around the fire, the wolf pulled his boy closely to him, enjoying the peaceful moment they had so fortunately been blessed with that night. Aster gently let himself lean against his wolf, using his own hand to take a hold of the beast's larger one in a loving embrace. Stahl squeezed the boy's hand gently, as the sound of music danced across the night around them beneath the shining, bright stars above.

As the ballad came to it's conclusion, a round of applause sounded into the air with cheers of approval. The husky simply gave his exuberant bow as he thanked the audience. The canine went on to announce that Madame Mist would be performing the final song of the evening, coaxing even more cheers from the beasts who were enjoying the needed distraction. The peacock made her way to the center of the beasts, and raised her arms high, her silky dress flowed whimsically in the cool, night wind as she raised the feathers of her dazzling plumage behind her. As the somber music started, the peacock began swaying, her feathers moving in a truly mesmerizing way as she began to sing in the purest voice Aster had ever heard. A moment later, and her dance really took off, No beast present could find themselves able to look away as the avian sung on. They were entranced, so much so, that they hadn't even noticed as one by one, the beasts began to fall asleep to the hypnotizing dance. Even Alice, in her frightened state, still managed to drift off into peace that night.

By the time the peacock had stopped, there were only six still awake from the camp. Aster looked over to find even Stahl had passed out against him, snoring lightly, as he saw Prince Tyfin and Rust were also counted among those unaffected. Even with the realization that they had fallen into a trap, Aster couldn't find it in himself to be alarmed, even as the husky stood to begin speaking towards the ones that had remained awake through the song.

"You'll have to forgive my deceit, great beasts of Alora, we just needed to be sure of something..." As the husky finished his sentence, the peacock raised a feathered arm into the air and muttered something inaudible, sending up a bright green flash of sparks shooting off into the sky above where it erupted into even more sparks. As Aster struggled to make himself move against his attackers, fear returned to his heart as he noticed a large number of figures closing in around the encampment. They were completely surrounded and outnumbered by the strange, foreign creatures within seconds.

Thanks for reading as usual, hope you've enjoyed the tale so far. Ill have another chapter out soon! As always, feedback is appreciated. Thanks y'all! -Pup Bayou

12