A King's Legacy Ch. 12

Story Info
Aster is shaken by both sides of his heritage.
7.1k words
4.77
1.9k
1

Part 13 of the 45 part series

Updated 04/21/2024
Created 01/21/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
PupBayou
PupBayou
79 Followers

A King's Legacy

Chapter 12: Titles and Labels

"Talk?" Aster was taken aback by the sudden request, quickly growing worried he had angered his prince somehow. He did his best to remain calm, speaking to the royal lion cautiously.

"Did... Did I do something wrong?" The lion raised his hand, shaking his head before he answered.

"Not at all... There are simply some things that have come to light that we need to discuss. Things that could change everything fate has in store for us." The prince trailed off, pondering where he should start. Aster huddled a bit closer to Stahl in his uncertainty. The wolf gently nudged against him, reassuring the boy he was there for him. Prince Tyfin decided on a starting point, opting to let the boy choose for himself.

"Aster... Do you wish to know of your heritage? Do you wish to know of your past?" The prince spoke clearly, never taking his gaze from the human as he did so.

Aster let out a sharp gasp in surprise as he visibly flinched, never expecting that this was where the prince would take the conversation. His heritage? The human had spent many years and sleeps nights wondering silently about his roots, and had to admit, not truly knowing where he had come from was definitely something that deeply troubled him as a child... But that was something Aster had stopped allowing himself to dwell on. Falling into that despair and uncertainty only ever hindered him, making him feel even more isolated, and he had come too far to return to that, He was happy with that progress. He spoke to his prince quietly.

"I am well aware of my heritage, my prince. I am the son of General Jagón Venatus, the right hand of the king, and one of the greatest warriors this world has ever known. No other aspect of my origin is of any consequence to me... For none of it changes my duty to you. I know whatever human family I may have once had has long since perished... I know that allowing myself to dream otherwise is only torture... I know what I need to know, I know who I am. I am Aster Venatus, a member of the Elite King's Guard in service of my prince. That is all that matters."

Not a single beast made a sound as they processed the boy's point of view on the matter. They were all pretty well surprised at his answer. The prince spoke again.

"And if I told you your heritage very well may factor in to your service of me, would you still wish to not know?" The boy looked away, thinking carefully before he made a confession to the beast.

"...I know what my shield is... I've known since it first manifested within me... I know it's a legendary Peacekeeper's bloodskill... The tale of the heroes who saved this land from the legendary beasts was my favorite as a child, so when the shield first appeared before me, I knew it was surely the same one used by the hero I so idolized... I was just too afraid of what that could mean to ever say it..." Aster took a ragged breath, struggling to confess his doubt.

"I was afraid that was the only reason my father had kept me around... That he didn't actually care about me at all, and only wanted to someday use my power for personal gain. That he was aware I possessed it before even I had known... I was afraid that I was just a tool, not his son, and that if I had expressed that fear, he would only confirm it...So I just pretended I didn't know... Even after The Selection, when he had confirmed his love for me as a son... When I knew all of you were still hiding the truth from me, I feigned ignorance because it was easier, because I wasn't supposed to know such things..." Aster was speaking in a low, unsteady voice.

"I've made peace with not knowing about things, even things about myself, and if I learn about my history now, I'm worried it will somehow change who I have become... If the Aster who was to be raised a human is given a story, will the Aster that was raised by beasts become less of who I am?" His voice trembled as the boy openly bared his deepest thoughts on the matter to his comrades.

"I am happy where I am for the first time in my life... I am happy to finally just be who I am in this moment with the allies I've found... To be of some use... To be with all of you... If I need to know something to protect you, then tell me... Yet, I do not wish to unnecessarily dwell on a past that I cannot change, my prince, nor on a history I never knew... However, I surrendered my life to your hands before my trial had ever ended, so you may tell, or keep from me whatever you wish to. I trust your judgement with my life, my prince... I trust all four of you with my life." As his voice faded off, the beasts only looked to the human with a new kind of view. It was Captain Rix that interrupted the silence, wading over to the boy still hiding partially behind the wolf.

"WELL SAID, PANTHER SON!" The heavy bovine gave a hefty slap on the human's shoulders, making him have to take a splashing step forward to avoid falling over. Prince Tyfin didn't expect an answer like that, but he respected it.

"There are things I may never be able to tell you in order to keep you alive, Aster, but there are some things I can... For now at least. You should know, this may be the only chance you get to hear your story. With that said, would you still prefer I only tell you what is needed? Would you choose to really pass on this chance?" The prince eyed the boy studiously. Aster took another step forward and spoke, confident in his decision.

"Tell me only what I need to know. If me knowing too much could bring risk to the ones I fight for, I would rather stay oblivious..." He looked his prince directly in the eye as he spoke. Prince Tyfin accepted his resolve, and decided to begin, looking around at his loyal crew.

"Unprecedented trouble hangs over us, my knights... That story that you liked so much Aster, The one your shield is from? Those legendary beasts are rumored to be returning... And that shield may just be our only chance to hold it back... I cannot be certain yet, but we have some evidence that may at least lead us to some answers as to how... Evidence left by the last human king to fall to my father's crusade, King Calium Aureus." The lion paused to make sure his knights had grasped the gravity of the situation, continuing after.

"While we know nothing for certain yet, I can't fathom why the orcs would lie to us about this, more so considering that we would all be long dead if they felt we were their enemies. We still have no real news on the current state of our home, so we can only act on what information we can gather here ourselves for now." Stahl spoke up then.

"Tomorrow is the full moon, if I have any opportunity to hear word of our home through my bloodskill, it will be sometime then. There's really not much I can do as of now however, as I still am too far from my family, so would you rather wait? The information we receive could be vital to our plan going forward." The prince nodded at the wolf.

"I am counting on exactly that, Stahl, as we have three days to reach our decision... However, most of our methods for gathering information here relies solely on cooperating with the orcs. They want Aster present when we review the human king's letter, and they were pretty firm on that requirement." The human gave his prince a puzzled look then, questioning why his presence was specifically requested. Prince Tyfin stared at the boy a moment longer before telling the boy and the beasts why.

"Aster is the son of the last human king, Calium Aureus, the previous bearer of the shield. Aster is not only the last surviving son of man, he was born to be their rightful king." Nobody could even process that information, as the beasts and boy alike looked on in total and complete shock. All except for Stahl that is, who only placed a reassuring hand on his human's shoulders, waiting for Aster to speak. A long moment passed before he found the words through his jumbled thoughts.

"That... THAT CAN'T BE! I'M NO KING! I-I am just a soldier... I am nothing so important! This... This could ruin EVERYTHING. There is a mistake! Your father... He would have killed me for certain..."

The boy was struggling to accept this news. To accept that he was more than just some human runt picked up by the panther's kindness. He only wished to lay low, and live his life of service peacefully. This would draw attention if it got out, the bad kind. Prince Tyfin waded closer to the human, looking down at the boy with a look of sadness.

"He very much wanted to... He knew what you were, and what the title and blood of a king can represent, as well as the power it can hold. My father pushed harder than anyone to convince me you weren't worth such a risk... That you would only divide our people... That is also why he forbid me, your father, or anyone else from interfering in your dishonorable match against Straga... He wanted that dragon to make you quit... There is no question, Aster... My father is the one who arranged your match with him." The prince hated the king for using such a tactic, and turned his head in disgust as he spoke. He shifted back to the human when he finished, forcing a small smile in his effort to make this easier for the human to accept, reaching his own hand to the boy's other shoulder as he softly reassured his troubled knight.

"You are more than your blood, Aster, and more than whatever titles and labels people may confer on you. This changes nothing for me, and I'm almost certain it changes nothing for any of the others presently here... So don't let it change you if you don't want it to. You're still the same kind, caring boy you've always been. You are still our ally. You are still my friend." The human looked down into the water, hiding his face beneath his damp hair as he visibly struggled with his conflicting inner turmoil.

"...Nobody ever knows of this... Promise me... Please... Nobody else learns of this... I... I don't want to lose what I have here... I never want to be a king, so please... Will... Will you all really treat me the same? Will you please keep this between us? Stahl? Captain Rix? Moll-" The human's rambling was cut short by the hare jumping near him in a splash, the beasts now partially encircling the worried human.

"You sure?," spoke the rabbit teasingly, "I figured you expected us to start calling you King Aster." The boy looked up in horror, only to be met with the hare grinning at him with a particularly playful smile. Aster realized Mollis had only been messing with him as he looked around to the smiling beasts surrounding him. He realized he was taking this entire identity crisis much harder than they were. With a simple joke, the hare had knocked away the human's uncertainty, and confirmed that they all would happily abide by his request. The human could only weakly smile, and thank the beasts, humbly grateful for such allies. Prince Tyfin turned, returning to crouch in the river as he moved the conversation forward now that the human had gotten his emotions under control once more.

"Since Aster now knows the bare minimum of what he needed to, we may be able to learn more about how to stop the legendary beasts that threaten us. IF they actually do threaten us, that is. Aster and Mollis will join orc chief Crag and I to dissect that letter from every angle we can tomorrow. Stahl, Captain, would you two mind trying to collect a bit more intel on our next destination while we tend to that? Ensure our route is mostly clear before us, and take note of anything at all that may seem suspicious, or that could further hinder us... I think none of us would like this trip to last longer than needed with this revelation added to the mix." The prince paused for a bit, pondering on a few things as he did so.

"I plan on negotiating for some supplies tomorrow, but if possible, I'd like to have something to offer them before I barter on my word alone. Anyone happen to have any real ideas there? I admit, I could think of nothing they may want..."

Mollis chimed in once more, offering a solution to his prince.

"Well, I AM a plant magic specialist, and while I was saving these for if we needed them in a pinch, I'm sure this will at least give you something to offer for now."

The hare was stepping onto the bank then, his soaked fur clung tightly to his small frame as the rabbit stepped over to his discarded robes. He reached into one of the many pockets there, and pulled out what looked like a small, round seed. Mollis turned back towards the water, stopping a short ways from the bank before squatting down on his haunches and digging a small hole. He placed the seed in the pit, and covered it up thereafter, dusting his hands off before he leaned forward, placing a palm on either side of the upturned dirt. The hare began chanting in that familiar, inaudible tongue the human could never quite make out. A moment later, and the effects of the spell were beginning to take root. Quite literally.

Ever since his brother Cortist had began showing Aster about all the different types of spells and magic in this world, the human carried an odd affinity and fascination for the very mystery always just out of his reach. The boy found himself mesmerized as usual while the seed sprouted. The slender stalk that poked through the earth below rapidly grew in size, shifting from green to brown, reaching higher into the air as it stretched towards the desert sun, forking off and branching into the new shape of life the hare and his magic were coaxing it to take on. Greenery flourished on the new branches, and small fruit began to bloom, haphazardly strewn across the young tree. Within a few fast seconds, a fruiting cherry tree had fully matured before their very eyes.

The hare reached up, plucked a single fruit from the branches, and popped it into his mouth. The rabbit chewed for a moment, and spat the pit out to his side before speaking.

"Well, as usual, I couldn't get them as sweet as I'd wanted, but they still have a pretty decent flavor, and I'm sure the orcs would welcome a new variety of produce all the way out here. The only issue being, I'm not certain how long the trees can survive here in this heat." Prince Tyfin waved a hand.

"It is more than we had. Thank you, Mollis." The mage beamed on in response.

"Thank my affinity for cherries! I just happened to have those on me back at the ceremony before all this started is all. Glad they could help us in the end. I can use the seeds from the fruit that just grew to further cultivate this crop for them, so we aren't only offering them a single tree, but I'll wait to find where they want the crop first."

The lion was plenty thankful enough. Mollis reached back up to gather a few more of the small fruits, and turned back to his allies in the water before returning to the matter at hand. The hare splashed carelessly through the water, bouncing lightly as he made his way over to the naked human once more, stopping just in front of the boy as he leaned in close to him, bringing his hand up to Aster's mouth and softly pressing one of the small red fruits to his lips.

Aster was certainly taken aback by the gesture, but didn't want to seem rude, so he allowed his lips to part as the hare gently pressed the fruit forward into his open mouth, smiling in an emotion the boy couldn't quite read. Mollis let his fingertips linger on the pale, soft flesh for a bit longer than seemed necessary. For some reason Aster couldn't explain, the entire thing seemed extremely intimate to the human. Stahl glared at the hare, but Mollis expertly ignored the wolf, never taking his mischievous glare from the boy now blushing under his efforts, even as he spoke.

"I really do have a taste for cherries, Aster, but I like all kinds of fruit that nature's bounty provides for me." Aster was jumping in shock then, as the hare did the last thing he was expecting. Mollis reached his hand below the water's surface, and gave the human's tool a fast squeeze before he released it just as quickly. Stahl took a step forward, but the hare just casually turned to him too, still smirking.

"Don't worry Aschefell, there's plenty of fruit for all of us, no need to be stingy." The wolf only scowled. Aster thought his heart would explode from the unexpected grope. Prince Tyfin just let out a sigh before he spoke.

"Please, could we try NOT to provoke each other? I think we could all use a break, and that includes Aster, you two. Let the boy decide when he is ready..." The lion paused as a thought flashed in his mind. He wasn't usually one to make jokes on such serious topics, but they were among friends... "A king's decision should never be rushed after all..."

Even the prince had to laugh at the alarmed panic that was evident on the boy's face as he finished his jab, and the other beasts laughed with him. Aster may have struggled to accept who he was, but his friends certainly held no such reservations.

A short while later, the group departed the riverbank, feeling finally cleaned up a bit, and with higher spirits than before. As they made their way through the town, the group quickly came upon a particularly large structure that was buzzing with life, laughter, and the echoes of lighthearted cursing. Aster wanted to check it out, so the human and the four beasts found themselves entering the tavern.

The building itself was pretty well just a larger version of the other structures in town. Basic door, glassless windows that were never to be closed, assembled by what looked to be desert stones stacked and mortared with some kind of mud, and all topped off with a vented reed roof. They served their purpose, and made the harsh climate bearable enough. There were a number of tables and chairs strewn about, many of which were full of patrons, and a circular bar in the center.

Most of the orcs present grew silent when the group of five stepped through the door, turning to see both the last of man, and the beast prince himself for their own eyes. Aster immediately felt a shift in the atmosphere, and he wasn't so sure if it was a friendly one. It reminded him of the way he felt back at the selection, when the beastmen were all staring at him and rooting for his downfall. The boy shuddered at the though, regretting the pub after all.

Stahl noticed, and took Aster's hand into his own while he took the lead. The wolf looked around the room to get a feel for the situation, and noticed quite a few things all at once. The first was the tiger Oust, hunched over a nearby, smaller table for one. The big cat had a clay mug of something strong smelling in his large grasp. The wolf moved beyond the tiger, and noticed with a shock there was a larger, half full table of beastmen who weren't part of their group.

The husky that had tricked them, Dally O'Day, was counted among those beasts, as was the larger white canine Milky that had accompanied him. The peacock, Madame Mist, was nowhere to be seen, but the husky was excitedly talking to a very unamused looking Kodiak bear. This bear was bad news, the wolf could just feel it... They should avoid getting on his bad side, but the wolf did have a bone to pick with the husky, so he made his way over to the table anyways. Aster was happy to be pulled along behind him, happy to do anything to avoid standing there and catching such stares. The wolf cleared his throat as he stood near the table, eyeing the other canine cautiously before he spoke.

"You know... That was a pretty simple and dirty trick back there... I'm kind of pissed that I fell for it."

The tavern grew silent once more. Aster grabbed at Stahl's arm, not wanting to cause more of a scene. The wolf didn't back down. The husky slowly stood, his eyes hidden beneath his feathered hat, and turned to face the wolf. The pair stared at one another with growing tension, until the husky cracked, and let out a joyful laugh.

PupBayou
PupBayou
79 Followers
12