A King's Legacy Ch. 12

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"HAHAHA! I'm sorry! I can't do it! I was going to try and act mad, but it's no use. I'm just not that kind of dog." The tension disintegrated as the husky went back to laughing for a moment. Aster felt relieved. Dally made his signature bow before he spoke his apology.

"I do apologize for our sneaky move back there, but these orcs are good people. People we wouldn't want harmed, and to be fair, that IS the beast prince of Alora over there... We mean you no harm, but we weren't sure how much like his father he was at first... We were even more pleasantly surprised when he was one of the few that withstood Mist's song and dance. That can only be done by someone who truly bears no intent of attacking the performer after they have been provoked by them. In other words, a truly good person."

Aster finally realized something then. For once, he was not the one everyone was staring at with those looks of hatred... Prince Tyfin was. Captain Rixator's bellowing voice came to his king's defense.

"YOU DARE INSULT MY KING BEFORE HIS OWN GU-" The prince silenced the captain quickly.

"Hold your tongue, Captain Rixator. These people have every right to hate my father..." The prince took a step forward, his head held high and his expression blank as he spoke to those present.

"I am prince Tyfin Tonitrus of Alora. I may be the son of my father, but I have worked hard to be sure I never become him... Something even he agrees is for the best. I understand your bitter feelings, for they are justified, but please allow me to begin repairing that mistrust. I know there is much to do, and words alone will not suffice, but please, give me a chance to show you that we can be allies. Please allow me and my men to sit among you, so we may learn about each other." The room went quiet again, until Dally burst out in response.

"EXPERTLY SAID, YOUR HIGHNESS! Come! Have a seat with us! The mead here is truly something unique! Let us drink, eat, talk, and sing the evening away!" The husky grabbed his own mug, and thrust it into the air proudly as he toasted the lion. "TO NEW BEGINNINGS, TO NEW ALLIES! TO PEACE!"

With a cheer of approval, and a clinking of mugs, the matter was settled, and the beasts integrated into the crowd around them to enjoy their new company for a few minutes.. Aster was beyond relieved they had avoided causing too much of a stir, but may have been celebrating a bit too prematurely.

The bear sitting at the table with Dally was a burly thing. He was definitely strong and muscular, but the beast carried a good bit of extra weight on him that gave him a stocky, powerful appearance. Aster kept catching glimpses of the silent bear looking his way with intrigue. The boy felt like shrinking into his wolf, and ended up doing exactly that, as he slid just a bit closer to Stahl. A slender lady orc came by a moment later, asking if anyone needed anything, and the bear finally spoke in a heavy sounding tone that registered more like a grunt to the human.

"Two more for me... Two for our guests here as well. I will buy today, so keep them coming, Moss." Aster spoke up, dismissing the need.

"I don't drink. Father said it can grow to consume a person, leaving them at the mercy of the vice. I'd rather not chance becoming one such victim... Thank you though." The boy bowed in respect at the beast's offer. The bear chuckled a bit.

"Your father is correct on that. He must have been wise to raise a boy like you." Aster beamed at the praise.

"He really is! But that is the great general Venatus for you!"

The husky barely managed to let out a single word as realization struck, before the bear had already snatched the boy up by the front of his shirt.

"Shit!"

Aster was face to face with the bear, as the huge beast roared down at the boy, forcing a look of terror to form upon the human's face as he dangled helplessly by the grip of the burly beast.

Stahl went to stand and defend his boy, but with a strike faster than Aster could follow, the wolf was knocked back, clutching at his throat where the bear had expertly struck, rendering him helpless as the beast only coughed and hacked in attempt at recovering his breath. The bear never turned away, yelling down at the human with unconceivable rage.

"YOUR FATHER... IS GENERAL JAGÓN VENATUS? THE BLACK PANTHER KNIGHT AND RIGHT HAND OF THE KING? YOU? A HUMAN? THIS... THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE! THIS IS UNIMAGINABLE! THIS IS INTOLERABLE!" The great bear bellowed into the air again, bringing a deafening roar down on the struggling boy as those nearby desperately tried to talk the beast down with no luck. Stahl was struggling to make it to his feet. The bear continued his rant, unimpeded.

"THE VERY SAME GENERAL THAT PERSONALLY LED THE CHARGE ON ALL THE HUMAN KINGDOMS... THE VERY SAME ONE WHO CARRIED OUT THE ORDER TO KILL ALL HUMANS IN ALORA... MY OLD ALLY..." The bear was starting to lower his voice. As the edge of anger faded temporarily, the emotion was replaced by something far worse, unimaginable betrayal and heartbreak.

"He... He was my ally... My friend... We grew up together... We fought in countless battles together... Me, him, and king Alocer... And yet... Even still... He... He killed her... When the king ordered him to do it, he killed her right in front of me..." The beast looked back to the human, his rage returning as tears welled up in the angered bear's eyes, and his mighty grip on the human began to tremble.

"HE KILLED HER BECAUSE SHE WAS A HUMAN! THOSE BASTARDS KILLED MY WIFE, MY KHALA... AND NOW... NOW YOU TELL ME THAT SAME BETRAYING SCUM SPARED A HUMAN BOY... AND RAISED HIM AS HIS OWN SON? THAT THE KING LET HIM? HOW BY THE GODS IS THAT FAIR?!? HOW... HOW COME YOU DESERVED TO LIVE, BUT NOT HER? AFTER ALL I GAVE TO MY COUNTRY, AFTER ALL THEY TOOK FROM ME... Why... Why would you be spared? Why did they take her from me, only to save you..." The bear's voice broke, as he finally released the human to fall onto the table. The beast leaned over him, his tears falling down to splash against Aster. This time, the beast barely spoke in a hoarse whisper.

"I will correct such an injustice. The panther will know how it feels." The bear raised a mighty claw up, Aster was terrified now, and his own tears welled into his eyes. He had nothing to do with any of this... but more than from his own fear, the boy was crying for the bear's sake, for such a terrible, and heartbreaking look of loss that the beast was bearing. Aster turned his head as he yielded to the bear's rage, waiting for the impending deadly strike. It never came. Instead, another, unfamiliar voice filled the air.

"Let him go, Corper. This boy had no more a hand in that than I... You once helped kill many of our kind, but we gave you the chance to prove you were better than you once were... Or is all that progress so easily discarded? Would Khala want this?" The orc that had intervened had a hand on the bear's forearm, stopping his deadly swing as he spoke to the beast. The bear hesitated for a moment, then finally dropped his large arm, jerking away in disgust. The bear turned, and began making his way towards the door. A moment before he had reached it, Aster heard his prince call out.

"You are Sir Corper the Collapser, are you not?"

The bear stopped in his tracks, turning to eye the young prince maliciously as he spat his words towards the lion over his shoulder.

"And what of it?" The prince lowered his eyes a bit before he answered in a voice laden with remorse.

"I know of your story... I know the role my father played in it... I may never be able to set this right, but I give you my word, as the future king of Alora, that I will do everything in my power to prevent something like that from ever happening again... I know it means little, but I truly am sorry for what you had to live through. I am sorry for your treatment by your own trusted king and allies. I hope to build a kingdom where such unnecessary cruelty does not exist... One where our people may love whoever they wish, and know it is no crime. I pray you may find peace in such a kingdom."

The bear turned slightly, a true look of sadness and longing in his eyes as he looked back at the human he had nearly slain. The boy could only stare back at the bear empathetically. Corper shifted his attention, and looked Stahl directly in the eye as spoke his parting message.

"Don't ever let them take him from you... Stay by his side, always. Even if you have to raise your blade against your own king to do so, hesitate not. Do not trust them... Do not make the same mistake that I had... One I must live with."

Corper said nothing more, only closed his eyes, turned forward, and disappeared through the door without another sound, leaving the pub in a state of disarray. Captain Rix was getting Stahl to his feet, while Dally tended to Aster, helping the boy off the table as he offered his condolences.

"I am sorry... I didn't realize who your father was, or I would have warned you... Please don't hold it against Corper, it's something that haunts him still to this day... He isn't a bad person..." Aster nodded at the husky in understanding.

"It's alright. I get it... I do not fault him... I can't even imagine what was taken from him..." As the boy spoke, rising to his feet, Stahl was imagining what the bear must have endured. Just knowing someone had threatened his human was enough to make his blood boil... To have Aster stolen away before his very eyes? By his own king? The wolf wasn't sure he could've managed the same restraint the bear had.

Despite the commotion, the pub soon settled down back to business as usual, as the beasts enjoyed the company of the orcs and the musicians alike for quite a while longer, until the sun was just starting to set over the desert skyline.

"STEADY NOW FOX! HOLD IT STEADY!" The gruff, older orc Tan was bellowing down at Rust, making the fox even more nervous as he tried to steady his grip on the tongs while the orc hammered another piece of steel through a pilot hole, securing the pommel to the handle of the longer, curved knife the heavy orc had been forging with the fox's assistance. Tan had to admit, the cub was surprisingly well versed in the ways of shaping steel. It would seem his claim to be a smith's son held some truth, but the cub was far too insecure of the quality of his own work. He had real potential and talent in a forge, and the orc was pleasantly surprised by the young fox's request.

He had been grinding on the edge of a simple hatchet when the cub first appeared before him. Tan had heard they had some beasts in their company, but didn't much care to see for himself either way. He was well set in his ways at his age, and gossip was something a smithy had no need for. The orc could only assume the fox was here as a customer, and gave him a gruff "Afternoon," as acknowledgement, continuing his grinding on the steel while the cub began looking around.

By the time Tan had finished his task, the fox was waiting patiently at his counter, seemingly to inquire about his wares. The orc was happy, he didn't receive many request in this age of peace, less so considering how their tribe had mostly stayed to themselves in recent years, so he always welcomed a potential commission that wasn't repairing a broken tool. The orc leaned on his counter, curious as to what brought a young cub to a forge of all things. Je was not prepared for the answer to that question.

"My name is Rosten Aschefell, and I am the son of one of Alora's greatest blacksmiths. Your work quality is really incredible! I've never seen such precise etching on steel! The designs you've made far exceed what I have ever even imagined!"

The fox was beaming up at the orc with a happiness that seemed out of place in a forge. The orc welcomed a bit of cheer in his space though, and graciously thanked the cub.

"Such praise from one so young. You honor me, Rosten Aschefell. What can I help you with?" Rust had apparently thought hard on how he would word it.

"Well... We are travelling pretty unexpectedly, and I've never really been to a forge outside of our home and capital... Would you need some help? I know I don't look like much, but I will do my best! I won't get in your way, and I'll obey what you tell me... I don't need pay, I just want to bring some experience back to my dad. I may only have a few days here, but I want to show him I learned new things while I was away... Please! I swear, I'll be helpful!" The fox seemed to be desperate in his confession. The heavy orc only furrowed his brow as he stood back up, crossing his arms as he considered the unexpected request for a moment before he finally gave an answer.

"The days are long, and the physical demands relentless. I start before the sun rises, and stop only minutes before it falls from the sky. You'll only receive a single break, one only long enough to get some food in your belly when the sun is at the highest point in the sky. Do you accept these conditions, young Rosten?" The fox excitedly yipped his answer.

"YES SIR!" And with that, the fox cub began to assist the orc for the rest of the day, never stopping, despite how tired he was feeling. Some things were worth putting in the work.

As the final strike of the hammer hilted the last glowing pin into place, the orc took a step back, wiping at his brow and admiring the handiwork as the cub finally released the heavy tongs to join Tan in his endeavor. The result of their labor was a well made dagger.

It was about two feet long, and the blade curved lightly, flaring just a bit in thickness towards the tip. The orc had taken the opportunity to show the cub how a light ore dusting could drastically alter the coloring of the steel, as such, the blade before them had an orange tint that was similar to the fox's own coat. The handle was made of a blackened wood, polished heavily by the fox's own efforts, and awaiting the finishing touches after the rest of the steel had cooled. Overall, it was both a successful forge, and learning experience for the cub. Tan grunted his approval before he spoke.

"Better than even I predicted. Well done, fox." Rust wiped at his own sweating brow as he gave the orc a huge smile.

"I only helped a little. You did all the hard work... But thank you for teaching me." Rust gave a tiny bow in respect to his teacher. Tan only placed a large hand on the cub's head, ruffling the damp fur lightly as he smiled back, his own larger bottom tusks making the motion seem a bit awkward.

"You sell yourself short, this blade is easily worth twenty gold! Had I not had your help, I wouldn't have been near as accurate in my strikes... The shakes have hindered my skill in my years. Having a pair of younger hands around was a welcomed change. I think we've reached a good stopping point, so, I will see you early in the morning then? We need to repair a great deal of tools tomorrow, so you need to be prepared for a grueling day." The fox didn't back down for a second happily giving his mentor another "Yes Sir!"

As if right on cue, a certain gray wolf appeared in the doorway with the human in tow. Stahl took a step forward, clearing his throat as he spoke.

"So, this is where you've been Rust, I should've guessed as much... You've not been bothering this orc too much, have you?" It was Tan that answered the wolf.

"Not at all! He's actually been quite the help to this old orc. You have a well mannered cub." The wolf donned his fanged smile as he answered the smith.

"Haha! I am only his uncle, but I am happy to hear it, as would his father be. Thank you for keeping an eye on him." Stahl gave a small nod towards the fox's teacher, the orc returned the gesture.

Aster, seemingly thinking deeply on something, had been distracted by something covered in a thick layer of dust on a nearby shelf. The boy was curiously looking at the peculiar item in question from a distance, reluctant to express any real interest without having a way to pay for it. The human pulled his gaze away, and turned to see the smith had caught him looking. The orc didn't say anything about it, much to Aster's relief. He knew Stahl would try to barter for it if the wolf knew he had liked it, and his wolf had already given him more than enough.

After a few moments of hearing about the fox's temporary apprenticeship, Stahl announced they should be getting back to their quarters for the evening. As Rust turned to leave for the day, he turned and gave a final wave to his mentor. Tan only smiled on as his eager student departed with the wolf and human. The orc had to admit, it really was nice to have a bit of company for a change, however, his mind couldn't help but to recall memory from a darker time.

Many, many years ago, when the orc was still a warrior, and before the reform of their tribe, he had slain a similar looking fox for little more than ten silvers worth of steel. Tan regretted many things from those more savage days, but to see how far they had come in such a short time truly did give him hope his people may survive long after the old ways were forgotten. Long after the ones such as himself were forgotten, as they should be. That is what the world needed to heal, so having a chance to teach the next generation felt like he was making up for his sins, albeit, only a small part of them. An idea came to Tan, and the orc turned back to the newly forged dagger with a sly grin.

I know a LOT of people expressed their disdain over friendly orcs, but I'm sticking to the story as I have it planned. I wanted them to represent breaking generational trauma, as well as a testament that change is gradual and takes time, but it is possible through united efforts. They have other parts to play later on. Also keep in mind, this is a single tribe, not the species as a whole, so don't write anything off yet.

As always, I do appreciate feedback and a simple rating, comment, or message can really help motivate me. I assure you, I am more harsh on my writing than any of my fans lol, but I don't mind honest criticism. It does give me much to think on. Support your sites! Actual sex scene for the next chapter, and I'm taking my time to make sure it comes out correctly, because honestly, Aster deserves it. So thank you for the patience. -Bayou.

12