A King's Legacy Ch. 18

Story Info
Aster gets his first taste of his beast after a long day.
10.1k words
4.74
3.5k
2
0

Part 19 of the 45 part series

Updated 04/21/2024
Created 01/21/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
PupBayou
PupBayou
79 Followers

A King's Legacy

Chapter 18: Praising Moon

By the time Aster had realized what he had done, it was already too late. For some reason he didn't even fully understand himself, he had kissed the tiger in the midst of his rage. As the human quickly pulled away, his face blushed deeply as he rapidly sucked in a hollow gasp. The prior turgid storm of emotions had almost dissipated entirely, replaced by fresh waves of embarrassment, appreciation, and confusion.

Oust only remained silent with his eyes cast to the side. His ears were still pressed flat against his head, and a rumble of his own feelings stirred within his heart where he had long since buried any such concept of romance, of longing for a shred of tenderness from anyone in this world. Aster may have been regretting it as he came to his senses, but surprisingly enough, Oust wasn't certain he himself did. Despite the beating he had endured for the affection, this was the first time something good actually came after someone's anger towards him. It was the human who broke the unbearably awkward silence between them as he stood, dismounting the tiger's wide torso.

"... Sorry... If your father wins the crown, you can execute me for it then... And thank you, Oust... For letting me win..." Oust had even more questions after that statement, but found himself incapable of asking a single one in that moment.

Without another word, (or even mustering up enough courage to simply look at the tiger again,) Aster made his leave, heading back towards the village. Somehow, the boy was feeling lighter than before, despite both his regret at losing his temper, and an entirely new problem weighing heavily on his mind.

Oust could only lay in the dirt and watch the human leave in thoughtful silence. Of all the things he had imagined, that runt making his heart flutter like it had certainly was nowhere near what he had prepared himself for through years of both training his body for a single purpose, and of building that seemingly impenetrable armor around his heart. The tiger was still trying to process it all, but he was certainly a bit scared by the way the runt had just put a crack into that well-forged protection of his.

When Oust finally did gather himself a bit, he found almost all of the frustration he had been feeling during his training under Sir Corper had vanished near entirely. His problems didn't seem quite so isolating to the beast anymore. Without a sound, the tiger quickly pulled his legs up, and kicked himself back to his feet with one powerful motion before he made his way back to the bear, eager to give his training another chance with a renewed sense of worth... With even a touch of peace for his troubled mind.

When Aster had made it back to the village, he saw his wolf already heading his way with that usual fanged smile, and another fresh pang of guilt stabbed into his heart from his self perceived betrayal. When the noble wolf caught a look at his boy in his exhausted and dirty state, a frown replaced his smile, and he quickly hurried over to ask what had happened. Aster paused for a long while, finding himself unable to look his mate in the eyes when he finally did speak.

"I kind of blew up on Oust... We got into a fight."

Stahl felt his own temper flare at the news, and he quickly assumed the worst as he started going off about all the detailed, and colorful variety of ways he would kill that damned tiger. Aster finally managed to get another word in a short while later between his cursing.

"No! It... It wasn't his fault Stahl... I started it... I initiated ALL of it... I had some stuff on my mind, and I was just so angry about it, that I charged him when I saw him... I took it out on him. We fought for a bit, and I knocked him to the ground. I kept hitting him for a while... Then... I... I... I'm sorry..."

Aster was clearly struggling to put it into words. Stahl could only smile kindly at his mate, and then he drew him in close with his signature embrace while he softly reassured his boy.

"Shhh. It's ok, Aster. Whatever happened, as long as you're alright, it will be alright. We will figure it o-"

Aster took a step back, cutting off his wolf and pulling from the embrace as his guilt flared. It wasn't alright... Stahl didn't understand what he had done... How he had betrayed him... Aster finally looked into his wolf's caring eyes then, and shouted far louder than he had intended to.

"I KISSED HIM, STAHL... It's not alright. I'm supposed to be yours... I'm a terrible mate, I know... I..."

Aster cast his eyes down immediately in his guilt, waiting for his wolf to get angry and yell at him, to tell him how horrible of a person he was like he deserved... It never came, and Aster was simply pulled back into that intimate embrace a moment later, completely taken off guard. Stahl chuckled a bit before he gave his answer in that softer voice he found himself using exclusively for his mate these days.

"Whatever happened, I'm just glad you got some of that heavy stuff off of your chest. You seem a lot better than you were a while ago... You're not a terrible mate Aster, a terrible mate would've said nothing about it. It's alright. You have a lot of love in that heart of yours... If you need to express that love sometimes in ways you don't believe you can with me, that's alright too. You're still very new to all this. You're still figuring it out, WE are still figuring it out. I'm not mad... Definitely surprised you kissed Oust of all beasts and still walked away with your life... But I'm not mad, and you shouldn't beat yourself up over it... I'm ok with anything you need to do to be happy, Aster, as long as I still get to hold you like this... I haven't even properly proposed yet, after all... You deserve to experience everything you can... Everything that was always out of reach for you before. I have told you countless times, I will love you regardless, Aster Venatus."

Aster buried his face into his wolf's soft chest once more as he simply basked in his gratitude, his guilt finally fading. He didn't know what he EVER did to deserve such an amazing mate, but he found himself in awe of that luck daily. His wolf never ceased to amaze him with his understanding. Aster felt a wave of relief wash over him at last as his beast simply held him against that comforting body a while longer. Stahl really did always seem to know just what to say to make Aster feel better...

Stahl, in reality, was simply looking forward with an unreadable look on his face as he held his mate in that moment. Stahl was suddenly afraid of losing Aster in an entirely different way than he had ever expected. Both his own jealousy, and his possessiveness surprised him in that moment, and he felt his own little monster stir beneath the moon... Stahl felt he needed to be careful not to let that monster out again. All the while, his stony-faced expression remained far hidden from Aster's view as the boy accepted the comfort he was still providing.

Sir Corper wasn't exactly sure what had happened during the tiger's short break, nor why he suddenly had as many injuries as he did, but the tiger had certainly made a drastic leap of improvement. That self-loathing that lurked just behind his eyes had all but crumbled away. The cub was finally calm at last, and his movements seemed lighter than ever as the bear stood beside him and they went through the steps, still knee deep in the river.

Sir Corper had started his tutelage with having the tiger mimic him, explaining the most important part was keeping a clear and calm head. To move WITH the flow of both his emotions, and of the water, instead of fighting either. The tiger hadn't really grasped a single thing the bear had tried to teach him up to that point, but somehow, the young beast had finally began connecting to what Sir Corper had been saying.

Oust wasn't striking just to try and hit a target anymore, he was striking because that's the way his body flowed in that moment. His jagged strikes that only limited his motions before were becoming more smooth and polished, reducing the time it took the cub to launch another strike behind it. The student was learning to keep a cool head. The tiger was getting faster. The teacher spoke.

"Good. You actually reigned in that temper, young one. You've broken a few of those chains haven't you? You're now ready for the next part... Forget ALL of the movements I have showed you so far."

Oust could only stare at his teacher baffled. He felt like he was finally making some good progress, only to have the rug pulled from beneath him. He spoke, a hint of his frustration resurfacing.

"Master... I don't think I understand?"

Sir Corper gave a burly laugh before he answered.

"No, I wouldn't expect anyone to grasp it so easily... What I mean is, you already know how to fight well. You don't need to keep trying to fight like me. You already know what steps to take. You already know what strikes work for your body, your style so to speak. Now build from that, and apply what I've taught you on executing those movements. It's time you start finding your own rhythm, it's time to start building your own kind of dance, cub. That is how you will learn to use your body to it's full extent. When you can move without thinking about the steps at all, when it all simply comes natural to you, THAT is when you'll finally tap into a bit of that potential you have buried under all those layered on years of shit, my young student."

Oust grumbled a bit, still not certain he even knew how to go about the task. Should he just practice his training steps like when he was younger? The burly brown bear chuckled once more.

"Do not worry, I'll be here to show you. I don't plan on abandoning my student after only a day. You're going to rise to the stars by the end of this, young one. I wouldn't chance stunting that growth for the world at this point... It's not like a grumpy old bear has much else to do these days, after all."

Mollis stood at the edge of the river with a look of sadness, his thoughts were troubled ones. Sure, Captain Rix hadn't returned yet, but that was within reason. The hard-headed bull likely scouted all the way to the Thorned Thicket knowing him... But Mollis was sad for the fallen and wilting tree. He knew who was actually responsible for the destruction... But he felt it was ultimately himself.

Mollis had let his fear grip him a bit too tightly when he had confronted Aster, an old habit the hare had failed to shake it seemed. He hadn't meant to accuse Aster or his brother of foul play, but he just wanted some answers... Answers Aster never had to give. Answers his brother may never be around to give. The hare had accused Aster's own brother of treason mere moments before the boy had discovered he was missing. What's worse, was the way the boy had looked at him when he had assaulted him with the accusations... At first, it was hurt, clear as the daylight, then followed by hatred, darker than the night... Mollis realized how much he had actually meant to the boy then. Aster actually liked him. Well, HAD liked him... And then he undoubtedly broke that part of the boy, as surely as Aster had broken that tree. Mollis felt like he had unintentionally just made the human's life that much harder. That much more lonely.

The hare leaned down, and started picking up some of the fallen fruit. The mage filled his pockets with quite a bit to begin building the crop for the orcs, and even grabbed a few extra just to keep some on him. With a heavy sigh, the rabbit walked away from the sight, casting it one final glance of regret over his shoulder before moving on to where the orcs had designated they wanted the orchard to be planted.

Someone clearing their throat nearby interrupted the human's embrace with his wolf, and Aster turned his head to see Prince Tyfin waiting patiently. The young lion looked more fatigued than Aster had ever seen him before. As the human ended their embrace, the lion began speaking in a lower tone than normal.

"Sorry to interrupt you two, but Aster, I need a word. I promise, for once, it's not bad news... I've already spoke with Stahl."

The boy nodded once, and turned to give his wolf a final peck on the muzzle before following the prince a few paces away. The prince wasted no time getting down to what he needed to discuss.

"Aster... I've been talking with many of the beasts here about what we've learned a while ago. Some of our citizens are choosing to remain here until the future of our kingdom is more certain. Filling in Chief Crag was a bit difficult, as I had to essentially negate all of the promises we had made so far aside from our supply trade... All because I do not know if I will be the ruler of our country anymore... But he is comfortable with them seeking a bit of shelter for the time being. The Regicide's Endeavor is a contest of physical strength as much as it is one of skill in combat... I don't believe I stand much of a chance... If the Candori or Raxos line seizes the crown, as is likely, I'm certain you realize what that would mean for you?"

Aster only dropped his eyes a bit and nodded. He had come to the same conclusion. The lion picked back up.

"Well... Officially... As I am no longer your prince, nor your king at this time... I release you of both your obligations, and of your duty to me. If... If you stay here, you'll be safe. We can make the official story one where you died in the cavern. This may be the only way for you to survive, and I don't want the blood of a friend on my hands... So-"

Aster stopped the lion there, kneeling down immediately to make sure his stance was respected, and his resolve well spoken.

"Tyfin... I am happy that I can say this as someone you consider a friend... You are still my king. I pledged myself to you, and this doesn't change that, because I am nothing but happy with the way I've seen you rule... Yeah, I could hide here, live a life away from danger and such hateful beasts... But I know Stahl can't abandon his family. I know I couldn't just let him leave me behind either. I know I need to find Cortist... Nothing has changed, except your title perhaps... And it is just as you said, the titles and labels placed on you do not change how I feel about you, nor who you are. Thank you for worrying for my sake, but I won't abandon my post, nor my king... And you will always be a king worth serving in my eyes..."

The human looked up once more, smiling as he turned his king's own words further against him.

"You may not understand your own value to those around you, but in time, I will teach you."

The lion only closed his tired eyes and smirked at the boy's reversal before he answered in defeat.

"You really would've been a great king to your people, Aster... Especially since you're letting your mane grow a bit... My father was many things, but he always did say a great king begins with a great mane. It suits you, as does your change in fur... Almost as much as your astounding capacity for benevolence does..."

The Beast paused for a moment, delivering his final verdict on the matter.

"If we reach a point your life will be in direct jeopardy simply for following me, I WILL make sure you are taken to safety, even if I have to have your wolf knock you out and drag you away myself. The Venatus family has lost enough, and your brother Talan shouldn't lose anything more right now."

Aster winced as that name was spoken, visibly shifting in his demeanor. He answered that statement honestly, yet dejectedly.

"Respectfully, my king... I don't believe Talan would give a single thought to slaying me himself if he had the reason... He faults me for replacing his true brother... He hates me for taking that same brother's name. He only looks at me as a reminder of his failure to uphold his promise to his mother... And I understand that. I have understood that for many years now..."

The human resisted the urge to touch his scar, that same reminder from his childhood to NEVER look into his older brother's eyes again... To never speak directly to him again. The prince frowned a bit. Tyfin never did get the full story between Talan and the human, as the panther refused to say much on it when the prince prodded, but before he could ask Aster, Stahl approached once more, butting into the conversation between them at the news.

"Well, that's a really awful reason to hate a sibling. It isn't like you had ANY choice in any of that... It's his loss. Sounds like Talan is a real shortsighted brother... Not that I can say much there..."

It was the prince that winced this time. He was silent for a bit, but felt needed to say something.

"He isn't that bad... He has a lot of hurt, and he felt betrayed by what your father did by bringing you home... But I do know he does care for you, at least to some extent... He did save you back at the Selection Grounds from those fiends..."

Aster scoffed a bit before he retorted.

"Yeah, cause Corty and Father were there. He hates me, I promise you, but he wouldn't do anything that would bring them pain. That's probably the ONLY reason he saved me... I know he is the second in command to your own guard, so I am sure you've seen a different side to him that even I haven't yet... That I probably never will, but I've seen the worst side of him... I bear the scars to prove it..."

Stahl tensed up as his emotions flared, finally getting the information as to who had put those marks on his mate's face... His own brother no less... Before he could say anything more though, Mollis interrupted the group with a small cough. When he locked eyes with Aster and the boy's eyes narrowed a bit, the hare could only look away as he spoke.

"My prince... I have finished the grove of trees for the orcs. Our supply trade is secured, so I figured I should update you... Hey... Aster... Can we talk?" The human was already walking passed the rabbit, giving his answer flatly, and with a hint of resentment as he continued on to anywhere else at the time.

"No."

Stahl and Tyfin were dumbfounded, Aster didn't ever treat Mollis like that... He never treated ANYONE like that. As the human made his sudden departure, the wolf confronted Mollis, even feeling a bit sorry for the hare. "Wow... Sooo... Want to tell us what exactly you two talked about earlier that pissed him off so much? That isn't like him... Least, I've never seen him like that towards anyone... Especially not you."

Mollis let out a heavy sigh of remorse, and explained the gist of the situation, as well as his loss of composure to the other two beasts as they listened on in understanding. Aster hadn't told Stahl about that foreboding and prophetic part about the darkness in the late King Calium's letter, and that exclusion even troubled the noble wolf a bit admittedly.

Aster heard a knock at the door a good while later, just a few moments before dusk. He had returned to his room to get away from everything for a bit, and he was already feeling quite heavy by the time his wolf came to check on him. Even so, the boy forced a smile for his beast as he came inside and closed the door behind himself. Stahl started speaking to his shirtless mate.

"Alright... So... Lets talk about Mollis." The boy just sighed heavily, and rolled onto his back to stare at the ceiling before he finally answered.

"Do we have to? Look, I know I'm kind of being a jerk... But what he did really bothered me Stahl..." The wolf answered patiently.

"I'm certain it did, and I understand why, and so does Mollis... He does regret what he did, or at least, how it all came out... I know you're dealing with a lot, and I just don't want this lingering in your head too, my love. Will you at least talk to him about it? You know, it's a lot easier to stay mad than to say what is needed sometimes, but that solves nothing in the end."

PupBayou
PupBayou
79 Followers