A Kiss to Build a Dream On

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I nodded, and said, "Yes," feeling a little ridiculous. Till now, I'd always prided myself on being able to handle almost any situation I encountered, even when I'd walked in and found a client naked in the tub when no one was supposed to be home. I hadn't screamed or acted crazy, I just said, "Oops, sorry," and made myself scarce till he got his clothes on, blushed a little and then left me to show the house.

But now here I was, acting like a baby over a tiny, little thing, no bigger than my big toe. Still, as Caleb gently eased me back onto my feet, I looked around pretty carefully before I took another step.

"You know I can look around some more on my own, if you'd rather wait in the car," he offered, I guess since I still looked a little nervous. But now I wasn't sure what was making me more nervous the threat of running into more critters, or how out of character he had me behaving. I'd never once considered doing anything like this before, but then I'd never met anyone quite like him before, either.

I blew out a breath, nodded and said, "I'll be fine." At least I hoped I'd be fine, providing nothing else jumped out at me.

And as long as Caleb kept his hands and those warm, soft, lips to himself.

After we'd had a good look around, and he'd taken a few notes and he decided he'd seen enough for one day. Once we went back outside, Caleb noticed I was trying not to be too obvious as I dipped my head to try and see what the stones had done to my car.

Then he bent down and looked around too, and finally said, "I think you're okay. But I wouldn't take that road again with this car, or it'll wreck your paint job." He had his phone out, and suggested, "Why don't you follow me and we'll go for a coffee to warm up and talk about what I need to do if I want to look into buying this place. The next concession over is paved, so you won't have to take that gravel road to get back to the city, though it's a slightly longer drive."

"Sure, let's do that." I was glad he knew his way around, though he'd probably used his GPS to find a paved road for me. Coffee sounded good too, since I hadn't had time for lunch and had only had a yogurt for breakfast. And I forgot to even put an apple in my car; I was in such a hurry when I left to meet him. I looked up at him then, and saw he was wearing a bit of a grin, probably pleased that I'd agreed to have coffee with him.

But what he didn't know was that I had some news for him, that I had a feeling he wasn't going to like.

When we got to the coffee shop, Caleb hopped out of his truck and came over to open my door for me. And as he held the door open to the little café, he asked, "Have you had any lunch yet?"

"No. I can have something later. But if you're hungry, I'd be happy to get you something."

He cocked an eyebrow and gave me a look to let me know that he wasn't about to let me buy him lunch. "How about you get us a table, and I'll get the coffees," he suggested.

Before he went up to the counter, to make sure I didn't try to go up to pay, he held a chair out for me, and then I didn't really see how I could argue, without making a fuss.

After I shrugged off his coat, I was checking my phone, going through my messages when he came back carrying two trays and set one down in front of me. I looked up him, surprised. I couldn't believe he'd gotten me soup, a sandwich and the coffee I'd asked for, as well as a couple cookies.

Now it was my turn to stare him down. "This looks like a lot more than a coffee."

He chuckled as he picked up his spoon. "It does look good though, doesn't it?"

It really did. The soup looked so appetizing, thick and warm and just loaded with vegetables, and my stomach started growling just from the smell of it, before I'd even had my first spoonful. After I'd thanked him, I took a bite of the tuna and veggie sandwich and rolled my eyes as I ate, surprised at how hungry I was. And considering the place was out in the middle of nowhere, the food was unbelievable. "This is really good, isn't it?" I remarked to Caleb.

"Yeah, apparently everything is homemade. The lady at the counter told me that she and her sister get up at the crack of dawn to start cooking and baking for the day."

After I'd heard that, I took out a twenty, got up and put it in the tip jar. He might not have let me pay for lunch, but at least I could let the ladies know how much I was enjoying their food.

Caleb was smiling at me when I got back to the table, and said, "That was nice of you."

I shrugged. "Well, the food is really good, and I just wanted to say thanks."

He leaned across the table and squeezed my hand. "I'm sure they'll figure out how much we're enjoying our lunch, since I put a twenty in the tip jar, too."

I laughed. "Really?" Then I shrugged again, and picked up my coffee. "Well, they deserve it, getting up that early to feed us."

When I'd finished the last spoonful of my soup, I leaned in and said, "I'd like to pay you for this, Caleb. You shouldn't be buying me lunch. You're the client, so I should be treating you."

"Well, I couldn't let you starve, especially after you nearly froze and then got attacked by that horrible mouse."

I could see the little glint in his eyes, but I could tell that he was being more playful than teasing. I decided I really did like him, and already felt like I'd known him forever. He had me so at ease; I'd never as comfortable, especially with a client.

And he didn't have to show off or brag about himself, or strut around trying to look macho like a lot of men I knew. He was just a super nice, down to earth guy that unfortunately I knew I might never see again.

Seems he felt pretty comfortable with me, too. Without much thought, he reached across the table and covered my hand with his and started stroking his thumb across the back of my hand as he seemed to be thinking out loud. "I'm thinking I'd really like to buy this place. I couldn't believe that brewhouse was still intact. And I don't think I'll find anything like it. So, I'm wondering if I should go ahead and put in an offer, before someone else does."

Though I hated to burst his bubble, I also had to make sure that he wasn't going to jump into something that might end up being nothing but a money pit. "It is a nice property, and not too far from the city. But I think one of the first things you should do is hire a building inspector to check everything over. Then you'll know what you're dealing with. He can tell you what shape the roof is in, what the wiring and the heating system's like, if any plumbing needs replacing or if there's any leaks or mold, or god forbid asbestos, that you'd have to have professionally removed. It could save you a lot of money, and a lot of trouble in the long run."

He nodded and then heaved a breath. "I know there's a lot to consider, especially since it looks like it's been empty for the last couple of years. But it's exactly what I've been looking for, so I'm really hoping it's doable. I like the space, and I know it'll work for what I want. And that equipment still being in place is a bonus I never expected."

I patted his hand. "Let me text you the names of a few inspectors. And once you've had it checked, then you can decide if you still want to proceed."

Then I eyed the cookies sitting on the tray, and thought they looked really good, and probably homemade. But I was trying to decide if I even had any room left, after the soup and sandwich.

Then Caleb leaned in and told me, "Apparently their peanut butter cookies are the best around, so I thought we'd better try them out."

Giving in, I took a bite, and rolled my eyes, and I think I might actually have moaned a little. "Well, I can see why, they're so good. And how did you know that peanut butter were my favorite?"

He winked. "Lucky guess."

As we finished our coffee, I looked across the table at him, glad now that we'd stopped to have lunch, since I imagined this would be the only time we'd ever share a meal.

And then soon enough we were back at my car, and I was handing him back his coat, and thanking him again.

Turning his head and looking back toward the old brewery, he said, "I'm hoping a friend of mine can come out and have a look around. He's an electrical engineer, and his family's been in the brewery business for years. That's where I got the bug, working summers there as a kid with Billy. So, if you have some time this week, maybe I could pick you up and drive us out for another look around."

I didn't even know how to tell him, so I took and breath, and gave it to him straight. "Actually, I probably should have mentioned that this isn't my listing. I was just helping out a fellow realtor today, who got called away. So, from here on you'll be working with Janelle Wallis, who'll be happy to help you with any questions you have. If you call the office number on my card, they can put you through to her. And she'll probably have more information for you by now."

The way he was staring at me, not saying anything, he looked a little stunned, like he couldn't believe what I was saying. And he didn't look too happy, with how he was studying my face, like I was traitor or something, I guess after the way we'd kind of bonded when we were looking around together.

"But what if I want to keep working with you?"

If I was going to be honest, I really wished I could work with him, too. I shrugged, because there really wasn't much I could do about it. "Well, since this isn't my listing, I think you'll have to deal with my associate. You could suggest that you'd rather work with me, but I can't make that call, Caleb, that's up to her."

Part of me wondered, with the naughty little fantasies that had been playing out in my head from the moment we first met, if it might be better if I just walked away and let Janelle work with him.

But looking up into his big green eyes, I hated that he looked kind of hurt, and disappointed. Like I'd just dumped him for no good reason, which was a little crazy since we weren't exactly involved.

Then I rolled my eyes. What was I thinking, we weren't exactly involved. He was a client. Period. End of Story.

And only a few weeks ago, my uncle had drafted a code of conduct for the office, after he'd had to let one of his own sons go. After he'd discovered that Jerry Junior was doing some pretty inappropriate things with quite a few of his female clients, and didn't care if they were married or not.

Until my uncle got a phone call from two of the angry husbands, threatening to sue his pants off, and then he had no choice but to show him the door.

So, I knew there was no way I could work with a man like Caleb, especially if I was hoping to keep things professional, and if I wanted to keep working at Donavan Realty.

Finally, Caleb broke into my thoughts when he said, "I'll talk to her." Then he stared at me for a moment and quietly said, "But I just thought we kind of clicked."

He was right, we definitely had. I'd never felt this way about client before, and I really hated to walk away, but I knew I had to. And Janelle would be able to help him with anything he needed. She was an excellent realtor, and I knew she'd look out for his best interests, like I'd been trying to do.

Expecting him just to shake my hand and say goodbye, when he leaned in and pressed a kiss to the corner of my mouth, I felt so flustered. Not sure what to do, kind of wanting to throw my arms around him and finish that kiss, and give him a proper goodbye, I swallowed hard, gave him a feeble little wave and got in my car.

As I drove off, looking back at him getting into his truck, it felt like my heart was dropping in my chest, because I had a pretty strong feeling that he was one of the good ones -- that sadly, I'd just let go.

CALEB

As I put my truck into gear, and drove along the narrow road behind Hailey, I couldn't believe what she'd said. I had no idea, that she wasn't my agent, and that I'd have to work with someone else.

Until she'd dropped that bomb on me, I couldn't believe my luck. Not only was the old brewery an amazing find, but what were the odds of having a real estate agent that looked like her.

When I walked in and took a look up the stairs and saw a shapely leggy blonde carefully making her way up the staircase in her little fitted gray suit and white leather jacket, and those super sexy heels, I could hardly believe my eyes. Probably because I imagined I'd be dealing with another middle-aged matronly lady, like the woman who'd sold me my house.

And when Hailey turned around and I got a look at that gorgeous face, and those big blue eyes, it felt like punch to the gut.

Funny thing was, though she was sexy as hell, as I gazed into those sweet, soft baby blues, sex wasn't the first thing that sprang to mind. Though she'd tried to keep things professional, she had an innocence about her that made me feel protective, and super close to her, almost from the moment we met.

The thing about me was, when I really wanted something, I went after it. Always have, from the time I was a kid. Growing up, my father often referred to me as a stubborn little shit, with good reason. Tenacious as hell, I never gave up on something I started. If I wanted something bad enough; I found a way to make it happen.

Once I'd decided that I wanted to start my own brewery, I learned everything I could, apprenticed with a brewmaster, and even took extra courses online. And now that I'd found the perfect place to set up, I was prepared to do everything I could to make this dream of mine a reality.

I'd even promised myself that I'd keep my focus on reaching my goal, and hadn't been on a date in well over a year, so that nothing would distract me. But then I walked into that old place, looked up and saw Hailey. And I forgot all about that promise.

She might not know it, but after spending only a few hours with her, I felt the same way about her, as I did about getting this business up and running. And there was no way that today would be all we'd ever have, when I felt a connection with her even before I'd even kissed those pretty lips.

And the way she clung to me when that mouse had scared her, like she already knew she could trust me, I knew it couldn't be all one sided.

I started smiling then as it occurred to me, that she'd actually kissed me back, and really started getting into it, too.

So there was no way we were done with each other, no way in hell. Now all I had to do was convince her that we had something together, something that was at least worth exploring.

So, rather than ruffle her feathers, or get her into trouble, I'd play by the rules. But I wasn't about to give up.

After I'd checked with my electrical engineer friend Billy, I made an appointment to meet with the lady that Hailey said had the listing for the property.

Next morning, I walked into their nicely appointed offices, and asked the young red-headed receptionist if she could direct me to Hailey Donovan's office.

She nodded and said, "Sure," and pointed down the hallway. "Hailey's is the third office on the left." I thanked her and thought I'd better test the waters with Hailey, before I met with her friend.

Her door was ajar, but I still knocked to get her attention, since she was on her computer, busy looking at some listings. And I realized that even her profile was gorgeous.

When she looked up and saw me standing in the doorway, I could tell she was a little surprised, but those pretty blue eyes of hers still lit up with her smile, so I was relieved that she seemed happy to see me. But she sounded a little uncertain when she said, "Hi, Caleb," probably wondering where we stood.

So I nodded and said, "Hi. Just thought I'd bring you a coffee and a couple of your favorite cookies, to thank you again for all your help yesterday." Then I put them on her desk, turned on my heel and left, before she could even respond. I could feel her staring at me as I walked out the door to head down the hallway to meet with her friend Janelle, probably wondering what I was up to.

After she'd ushered me into her office Janelle seemed quite professional, and I noticed her handshake was firm, when she said hello, like she wanted me to know she could handle whatever I needed.

She was a nice looking lady, probably early thirties, with shoulder-length dark hair. I noticed too, that she had a picture of a little boy and a girl on her desk, and she smiled when she saw where I was looking.

"Sorry, about yesterday. My baby sister had a migraine, so I had to head home to relieve her. But I was glad that Hailey was able to meet with you to show you around. So, what did you think of the riverside property, Mr. Daniels?"

Funny, I was so hyped when I'd first seen it. But I realized now, that I was even more interested in Hailey than I was in securing the property, which I knew was a little crazy, but I wasn't about to tell her that.

Instead, I told her about my plans, and how happy I was to discover that I wouldn't have to buy everything to get started, since some of the equipment was still in place. I also mentioned about my friend coming out with me to have a look around, and that Hailey had suggested I get a building inspector in to check it out.

Janelle nodded. "I think that would be a good idea. We have a few tried and trusted inspectors that we use, but obviously you can hire anyone you'd like."

"So..." I cleared my throat. "The other thing was, Hailey mentioned that this was actually your listing, and that I'd have to work with you from now on. And don't get me wrong, I'm sure you'd do a great job, and you really know your stuff. It's just that Hailey and I kind of clicked, and I wondered if there was any way I could keep working with her."

A knowing little grin lit up her big brown eyes. "Well, I can understand you wanting to work with Hailey."

Then she surprised me when she got up and closed the door, went around and sat back down again and then leaned in and explained. "I have no problem at all with handing this listing over to Hailey. But I have a feeling I know why she's a little reluctant to work with you, especially after you just said that the two of you clicked."

I wondered where she was going with this, and hoped Hailey wasn't involved with anyone, because I'd never even considered that. But then she explained about the new code of conduct Hailey's uncle, Jerry Donovan who owned the office, had put in place because of an incident with a former realtor. The way she rolled her eyes when she said that, she didn't have to spell it out, I got the drift. And it seemed this new code laid out in black and white that any form of fraternizing between realtors and clients would not be allowed.

I thought on that for a minute and then I tapped my shirt pocket and said, "Well, I'm on the board of a local animal shelter. And I've got a couple of tickets for their Valentine's fund-raising dinner this coming weekend, and I was hoping to ask Hailey if she'd like to come as my date, but, you know, just as friends. So, I'm guessing from what you've just said that that could be a problem."

She nodded, looking sympathetic. "Yeah, I think it might be. I know Hailey's really close to her uncle, and she'd never want to do anything against his wishes."

"Well, what if I told Mr. Donovan that my father is looking at developing a new shopping mall north of the city and he'd like Donovan Realty to help him find at least twenty or thirty acres of land, with access to the highway? Do think that might help my case?"

She smiled and started to chuckle. "Yeah, I think that might just change his mind."

Though I never liked to brag about the fact that I came from money, but considering that sadly it was a fact of life that money talks and bullshit walks, I wasn't above flashing my ace in the hole, if it meant I'd get a chance to really get to know Hailey.