A Man Alone

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The visit with the law firm that had handled the court case revealed the money had been placed into a trust account in my name. When they had tried to contact me before my twenty-first birthday they found my grandparents were dead and they couldn't find me despite their best efforts--I had disappeared. That explained their tremendous surprise when I had called them and told them who I was. I filled out some forms, and asked if I could create an estate while I was there. By the time I left, I had the forms filled out, signed, and notarized. I had more money than I thought I would ever know what to do with. One thing was sure, I had enough to buy an engagement ring and a new home for the both of us after we were married. A stop in Mariposa at a jewelry store took an hour or so--I came out with what I needed.

I decided I would propose to Adeela when she came home to stay. I was the happiest I had ever been in my life as I knew she would say yes.

***** Adeela

It was the last weekend before I was to be separated from active duty. Bruce and I had visited the giant sequoias and spent time talking and making plans. Saturday night was magical as we made love together. I delighted in his aggressiveness Sunday morning as he labored over me until I lay almost exhausted--he had the kind of stamina I had only experienced in my fantasies.

Our visit with my family had been wonderful. My father spent a lot of time talking with Bruce, and my siblings peppered him with questions. The best part however was my mother--she adored him and thought Bruce was the best man I had ever brought home. It thrilled me as I knew he was.

After returning to base the last few days had gone by slowly as I was relieved of my teaching responsibilities. I had checked rifle at the armory, and my other gear at supply. I had filled out my release papers, and packed the last few articles of personal gear I hadn't already taken to El Portal previously. I was walking back from the chow hall just after noon with Cooper and Talbot when my phone rang on my final day--my last meal while in the Marines now history.

I looked at the screen and saw it was Ahlum and thought it strange as she had never called me at mid-day before. I waved my two friends off and stopped walking to take the call. When I picked up Ahlum's voice was shrill, speaking in a mixture of English and Pashto. I had to calm her down and asked her to speak in either one language, or the other so I could understand her. I couldn't imagine what might have upset her so much.

"He is gone! The park people called me. He is gone!"

Then all I could hear was sobbing. Then a male voice came on the phone.

"Adeela, this is Keith. I'm here with Ahlum and I'll stay with her until you get home. I'm afraid I have some bad news."

I felt my stomach grow tight as I realized it could only be one thing. I felt my knees go weak and fought to keep myself calm as my emotions erupted into a thousand shattered painful feelings.

"Bruce was killed early this morning as he rescued a boy from the water above Lower Bridal Falls. He was able to get the boy back to the bank to his parents, but then lost his footing, and the swift current washed him downstream. I'm sorry, they found his body about three hours ago."

I didn't remember much other than getting permission to leave based before my official discharge time. The drive back to El Portal was but a blur, and when I got home I found Ahlum sitting on the sofa in Keith's arms sullen and red-eyed.

Keith explained the park service had tried to locate his next of kin only to find the name and number listed were no longer in service. Several of the rangers knew of his relationship with Ahlum and that she lived close by. They called her to see if she knew how to reach his parents. She told him he had no living relatives and Ahlum had called Keith immediately afterward. Then Keith called me after he obtained more information about what had happened.

It was five days later. It was a closed casket funeral as Bruce had been washed over the falls and was dashed upon the rocks after the long fall. I don't remember how I managed to survive the funeral. I guess maybe it was because I had to console Ahlum and needed to be strong for her.

It was about two weeks after the military funeral when I received a letter from the law firm that managed Bruce's estate. Bruce hadn't revealed to me he had made me and Ahlum beneficiaries of his estate after he found the court settlement was genuine. It was a shock to both of us, but the letter he left indicated he wanted the money used for Ahlum's education. The reasons he gave for leaving me an inheritance left me crying for days. I would have given every penny and then some back to have him with me instead. I realized then he would have paid for Ahlum's education if he were still alive and I would have been his wife.

A month later I signed the final papers changing my legal name to Sullivan and a few days later Keith, Ahlum, and I walked to the point on the trail where fate had brought Bruce and me together again. I looked out over the beautiful scene and slipped the engagement ring Bruce had gotten for me onto my ring finger. The tears that flowed from my eyes were both of sorrow and of joy as I had a part of Bruce with me now.

Three years later I stood in Veterans Liberty National Cemetery and looked at the white grave marker with the name Bruce W. Sullivan, Staff Sergeant, USMC on it. I gazed to the left, right, ahead, and behind--he was no longer alone.

"Mama, can I touch daddy's stone," Addie asked as she held my hand.

"Of course. He would like that honey."