A Means to an End

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
auguy86
auguy86
1,175 Followers

"I... don't know what to think."

"Craig, what have I always told you about matters of the heart?"

"The head plays tricks, the heart doesn't know what it really wants, but the gut don't lie," Craig answered.

"And what was your gut saying when you saw Jaime holding little Sophia?"

Craig sighed. "That she was the one."

"And she is, sweetie. You have no idea how happy you two will be together, if only you'll take that leap of faith."

"But... what she said? She chose California over me, right?"

"Weren't you listening to your father?" Lynn chuckled. "She's there to clean up her business. But once that's done, she's coming after you. I know you're afraid her values won't line up with yours, but don't you see that you're doing the very thing you so despise?"

Slapping his forehead, Craig replied, "In judging her by where she comes from, I'm no better than all those Yankees that make fun of us dumb southerners."

"Exactly. Craig, it's going to be a long time until I can see you again, and I just want you to be as happy as possible in the interim. One day, you'll see... you two are made for each other."

Craig's knees buckled as his mom exited the bed and walked over to him, wrapping him in a warm hug. Try as he might, he could not fight back the tears any longer. All at once, the pain of the last three years flowed from his eyes, and he felt at peace for the first time in years.

"I love you so much, Mom," he bawled into her shoulder.

"I love you too, sweetie. You have so much love to give, and right now, there's a girl who wants nothing from you but your love. Trust me, she needs it more than I do. I'm well taken care of, and I know you won't forget me. But you deserve to keep the good memories of me, not the ugly ones of my death. Remember me, but don't forget to live." Stepping back from her son, she continued, "I have to go now, Craig. Until next time."

As she disappeared in a flash of light, Craig replied, "But not goodbye..."

Craig soon awoke in a groggy haze, finding himself back in the bunkroom of his dad's bar. A part of him wondered if it all was just a dream, but then he saw his mom's portrait on the nearby dresser turned towards him. It never faced this direction. Approaching the piece of furniture, Craig took the picture frame into his trembling hands, staring into his mom's deep green eyes.

Don't forget to live... promise me...

"I promise, Mom."

At that moment, a knock came at the door.

"Craig?" Steve asked as he entered. "You ok?"

"Yeah," he replied, setting the picture down. "Yeah, I'm good. Dad, I... I'm sorry. I shouldn't have yelled at ya."

"It's alright, son. I know you; you were just tryin' to keep your promise to Mom, weren't ya?"

"Yeah," Craig whispered, still staring at Lynn's portrait.

"I miss her. Craig, I know I probably came off as blunt earlier, what with that firing business, but I just have this feeling about Jaime. If you were to give her one more shot, my gut tells me that she'd be the love of your life, just like Mom was mine. It's what you deserve."

"I guess," Craig sighed. "If she does come back, I'll give her another shot. On one condition, though."

"And that is?" Steve asked, cocking his eyebrow.

Craig turned and smirked at his dad. "That you start lookin' for the second great love of your life."

"Woah, I dunno 'bout that, Craig."

"At least... if the right situation comes along, promise me you'll consider it. It's what Mom would want, right?"

"Damn, you're just like her. Stubborn as all hell," Steve muttered. "Fine, we got a deal."

"Deal," Craig smiled, slapping his dad on the back.

*****

"Miss Little, we don't want to take up much of your time. As you know, the LAPD has spoken with you and Mr. Cranston in regards to the alleged incident. After extensive interviews, they have declined to file charges against my client."

"We understand that, Mr. Barlow," Gail replied. "Nonetheless, a civil suit is an option we are more than willing to consider."

In reality, Jaime saw little use for a civil suit. No legal ramifications would come of such action regarding Rocco Macho. All that could potentially happen was the financial result, which didn't matter to Jaime one bit. Still, Gail convinced her not to take it off the table yet; it could provide the publicity Jaime so desired to bring light to Rocco's actions.

"Yes, and that is an outcome Mr. Cranston would like to avoid," Christopher Barlow said. "Surely there must be some way we can settle this amicably and without the incessant media becoming involved."

"Well, we do have an offer that would achieve that goal. Jaime?"

Clearing her throat, Jaime read from their prepared document, "My offer is this: Your client signs a binding contract lasting in perpetuity. This contract requires all of his future contracts with any clients, male or female, to contain a special addendum informing potential clients of these allegations. This addendum must be specifically read to them out loud, either by him or a legal representative, and will require a separate signature in addition to the primary signature on the contract. If he agrees to that, there will be no civil suit."

"That's outrageous!" Rocco shouted.

"Rocco, please," Barlow said.

"No, I won't be bullied by some stuck-up little airhead! You hear me, you little fuckslut?! You got nothin' on me!"

"I would advise you to maintain control over your client," Gail said. "That could be considered a threat to Miss Little."

"May I say something?" Jaime asked. Without waiting for a reply, she turned to Rocco. "Mr. Cranston, you may think yourself intimidating, but I am not afraid of you. The fact remains that this will affect you down the road, one way or another. I ask you to do the right thing and agree to the terms I've set. If you refuse, I will sue you in civil court and I will go to the media. This isn't just about me, Mr. Cranston. This is about every girl you've ever done this to before and every girl you may do this to in the future. I'm not some stupid airhead as you say. I know I'm far from the first to experience this sort of treatment under you. So please, do the right thing. If you don't, I will not rest until everyone knows what sort of a monster you really are. The choice is yours."

Rocco snorted. "Screw you."

"Well, you have your answer, Miss Little," said Barlow. After whispering with Rocco for a moment, he continued, "We can meet you in the middle. Mr. Cranston will pay a settlement of two hundred thousand dollars to you, as well as an additional donation of one thousand dollars every year for the rest of his life to a charity organization benefiting battered women, anonymously, of course. And you will agree to a gag order, preventing you from speaking of this arrangement or these allegations to anyone."

"Unacceptable," Jaime answered.

"I agree. We'll see you in court," Gail said.

*****

"This is Lester Holt, NBC Nightly News. New today, a report of a civil suit between Jaime Little, one of the adult film industry's rising stars, and director Rocco Cranston, also known as Rocco Macho. Miss Little claims that Mr. Macho physically assaulted her on set while she was under contract with him. We go live to Kate Snow with the coverage. Kate?"

"Thank you, Lester. We brought you the breaking coverage earlier today of Jaime Little's public statement regarding the civil suit with Mr. Cranston."

"I want everyone to understand that this is not about me, and this is not about any financial settlement. Should I be successful in this suit, any and all money I receive will be donated directly to the Los Angeles Shelter for Abused Women. Rocco Macho assaulted me for daring to offer a creative suggestion regarding the project we were working on at the time. By the callous nature of his assault, I have no doubt in my mind that he has done this to other women in the past and will do so again if no action is taken. Finally, I wish to convey a message to all my fellow adult film actresses that have worked for Rocco Macho in the past: you are not alone. I know what he has done to you, and you have no need to suffer in silence any longer. If you have suffered as I have, I will stand by you."

"The response to Miss Little's statement has been swift and decisive. Less than an hour later, a statement was issued by Mike Mountain, three-time winner of AVN's Director of the Year award."

"I am saddened and ashamed by Miss Little's statement today. Not because I don't believe her, but because I know she's right. I've worked with Rocco several times over the years, and while he is a talented director in the adult film industry, he is also a man with no respect for women in our modern world. To hear Miss Little's account of what he did to her breaks my heart, and I am ashamed of myself that I have never done anything to try and make a difference. That is why I now say this to every actress in the adult film industry: you deserve better. If you are offered any job by Rocco Macho, on camera or off, I'll do you one better. You come see me, and I'll give you a job, no questions asked. With me, you'll be in a safe, healthy work environment. Assault will not be tolerated on my watch, I promise you that."

"And already we have been receiving statements from other directors and actors in the adult film industry, nearly all of which have been in support of Jaime Little and her suit. We have reached out to Miss Little directly for an interview, but have been asked to respect her privacy during these trying times. We'll keep you updated to any breaking developments in this story. Lester?"

"Thank you, Kate. In the aftermath of Jaime Little's public statement, Rocco Cranston has released a statement of his own. In the interest of unbiased journalism, we would like to show you this statement. However, our censors have deemed it too profanity-laced to air; the amount of editing required would make it impossible to understand exactly what Mr. Cranston was attempting to communicate. More on this story as it develops."

*****

"Welcome to Extra! I'm your host, Mario Lopez, and with me as always is the lovely Tracey Edmonds."

"Thank you, Mario. Big leadoff story today, right?"

"You bet. It's been a week since the news that rocked the adult film industry of Los Angeles, with actress Jaime Little filing suit against director Rocco Macho for allegations of physical assault. In that time, at least a dozen actresses have come forward with statements that they were physically assaulted during their time in Rocco Macho's employ."

"That's right, and while most of them are young, up-and-comers like Jaime Little, a few are women that are quite famous and successful in their own right. Perhaps the highest profile actress to come forward is AVN's 2015 actress of the year, Evelyn Angelique. More suits are expected, and Rocco Macho himself has been conspicuously silent since his public tirade the day of Jaime Little's initial statement."

"Ok there's one question on everyone's mind, Tracey. Does it matter that these are adult film actresses rather than mainstream film actresses?" Mario asked.

"In my mind, not one bit. This sort of violent, chauvinistic behavior has no place in any work environment. I don't care about the choices these women have made in their lives; nobody deserves to be treated like this, and I hope this is the beginning of the end of Rocco Macho's career."

"I agree, and you may be getting your wish, Tracey. With the increasing number of actresses corroborating Jaime's allegations, a massive number of directors, actors, and actress have come out saying they will never again do business with Rocco Macho. Some directors and producers are going as far as saying they won't work with anyone else who will work with Macho. Add that to the mass exodus from Macho's studio, and his days may well be numbered."

"Yeah, the general feeling is that he's quickly becoming a pariah here in Los Angeles. No complaints from me! Now, what about the rumors starting to circulate that Jaime Little may be ready to retire from the adult film business altogether?"

"I certainly couldn't blame her. Still, until we hear something from Jaime Little herself, I think it's just the standard rumor mill."

*****

"Jaime, I must say I'm impressed," Nina said. "This media blitz against Macho has gone better than I could have ever hoped for!"

"Thanks to you! If you hadn't recommended Gail Albright as my attorney, none of this would have ever happened."

"It's my genuine pleasure, Jaime. This has long been a cause very near and dear to my heart."

"Here's hoping we're a bit closer to stopping this shit for good," Jaime said, raising her cosmopolitan.

"Amen, sister!" Alexis agreed. "What was the final settlement?"

Jaime replied, "Macho pays two hundred thousand to me and every woman that has come forward accusing him of assault, as well as agreeing to the contract alterations I initially asked for. Plus a public apology. He does that, the civil suit goes away altogether, just what he wants. Not like the damage hasn't already been done to his career. And as much good as is coming out of this, what a way to go out!"

"Go out? You're retiring?" Alexis asked.

"I am. Nina helped me realize I needed to."

"Your heart isn't in the work anymore," Nina agreed. "Both of you should heed this bit of advice. If your heart isn't in it, this business will chew you up and spit you out. The only thing left will be a shell of your former self when it's all said and done. The reason I've lasted so long is a genuine love for what I do. But hearing Jaime talk about Craig and seeing the look on her face when I offered her a job, it was obvious she couldn't do this any longer."

"Craig's still in the picture, eh?" Alexis asked with a smirk.

"So I'm told," Jaime replied. "I haven't spoken to him, but I did talk to his dad. He said not to worry and that he'd take care of Craig. I'm about ready to pack things up and get the hell out of California, try to win him back."

"If I may make a suggestion, don't pack up just yet. You know you're going to move, but go see Craig first," Nina said. "Go back down to Florida for a visit, try to smooth things out with him. Once you know one way or another, then you'll know where you'll be moving to, make sense?"

"It does. And... I hope this isn't an inconvenience for you, but I'd love to have you both with me for moral support," said Jaime. "You two know I don't have any real family, but you two have been there for me like sisters. What do you say?"

"I'm in," Nina replied. "If he does take you back, I'll need to meet this strapping young man that's captured your heart."

"Me too! I've got a break in filming for a bit, so no sweat!" Alexis agreed.

"You two are the best," said Jaime, wrapping them in a hug.

*****

"You ready for this?" Alexis asked.

"Yep," Jaime replied. "I talked to Steve earlier; he said Craig had some things to do around the bar, so he'll be there tonight. I asked if I needed to call Craig ahead of time, but he said to just show up."

"Good luck, Jaime," Nina said.

"Thanks gals. See ya!"

Jaime exited the same hotel room she had stayed in a few weeks before when she had first met Craig. A quick wave to Tiffany in the lobby, and she started out for Steve's on the Bay. It was later in the summer, and there were more tourists out than last time; many families wanted to squeeze in one last vacation before the summer ended. Though she had tried to conceal her identity at first, Jaime soon found this to be futile thanks to her suit making all the national news networks. Thankfully, everyone that recognized her was kind and supportive, not focusing at all on what she did for a living and instead praising her courage. Still, all that mattered to Jaime was Craig.

As she entered the bar and grill, Jaime found the place packed with customers. Steve was swallowed up by a gaggle of patrons at the bar area, so she decided not to approach him just yet. Scanning the room, she at last saw Craig sitting at an isolated high-top table in the far corner. But as she was about to move closer, she saw that he was not alone. It was hard to see her from a distance, but Jaime could tell that it was an attractive blonde woman. They were laughing, smiling, and making constant eye contact as they talked. Jaime saw what she had feared all along: Craig had moved on. Even as she wanted nothing more than to run up to them and beg him to take her back, Jaime knew she was better than that. Moreover, Craig deserved better than that. With tears welling up in her eyes, she turned and dashed out the door.

*****

"Craig, I think this is the start of a beautiful friendship."

"No complaints from me, Alison."

"Craig!"

"Huh? Dad, what's up?"

"Get outside right now. I just saw Jaime here, but she ran out 'fore I could catch her."

Craig leapt to his feet. "I'll be back in a minute, Alison." Hustling to the door, he asked, "Dad, why would she run out?"

"She probably saw you with Alison and figured y'all were on a date."

"Ah, shit..."

Picking his way through the mass of people, Craig finally made it to the door and exited into the hot evening air. His eyes scanned the beach frantically, but there were more people out than he expected. Just as he was about to give up, he saw it: a flash of long, auburn hair on a petite young woman. Craig ran as fast as he could across the sand, bumping into people every so often. He was afraid he'd lose her at first, but soon managed to get within earshot of her.

"Jaime! Jaime, wait!"

Jaime froze, recognizing the voice right away. She slowly turned to look behind her.

"Craig?!"

"You came back! Oh my God, you actually came back!" Craig panted as he caught up to her.

"I... what are you doing out here? Craig, I saw you in there... with that woman," Jaime choked out through her tears.

"That was nothing! Dad saw you run out, so I came after you! I'd be a damned fool to let you get away a second time!"

"Craig... shit, Craig, I'm so sorry!" she cried, collapsing into his strong chest. "I should have never said what I said! Please, please forgive me!"

"Jaime, it's alright. I'm sorry, too. I flew off the handle, made a total ass of myself."

"No you didn't-"

"Yeah, yeah I did. Jaime, I've been watching the news nonstop since you left, keeping track of your legal battle out in LA. I heard your public statement, saw all those actresses and directors rally to your side, and I thought, 'Damn... she actually did it! She became that tough-as-nails woman she never thought she'd be!' It made me realize how stupid I was to walk out on you. Don't worry, Mom and Dad set me straight."

"That's good... wait, your mom set you straight? How?!"

"I had a dream about her," Craig explained. "I had just had a fight with Dad over going back to Nashville. He agrees with you, by the way. Hell, he even fired me to try and motivate me."

"Fired you?!" Jaime laughed.

"Yeah. I didn't accept it at first, but that's when I had my dream about Mom. I have no clue how real it was, but damn did it feel real. She gave one of her signature Lynn McNeal lectures about listening to my gut. She convinced me that I was in danger of missing out on something very special if I continued down the path I was on."

"I take it she meant your music career?"

"Yeah, partly. But she also mentioned... you."

"Me?" Jaime asked in surprise. "But... I never knew her?"

"I don't think it matters," Craig grinned. "She just told me to follow her best bit of advice: the head plays games, the heart doesn't know what it really wants, but the gut don't lie. My gut was screamin' out loud every time I thought about you, and I was just ignoring it."

"And what was it saying?"

auguy86
auguy86
1,175 Followers
1...345678