All Comments on 'A Nestling's Observations'

by rawallace

Sort by:
  • 18 Comments
Boyd PercyBoyd Percyabout 3 years ago

Thanks for your observations!

5

oldsage_1oldsage_1about 3 years ago

Not exactly sure how or whether to score this post. I thank you for sharing your personal views. Like you I try not to score based on the story content. I may not like the particular fantasy but feel others may find it enjoyable. I am probably an easy target in that I give a lot of 5 star ratings including all of your stories I have read, I have only given two 1 star ratings both due to god awful out of character endings. I enjoy the female take on sex and follow many of the female authors here on Literotica. I wish there were more quite frankly.

Don't apologize for being a new author it takes practice like any other still. I enjoy watching new writers develop and polish their craft. My concern is you will polish your craft here and leave us for greener pastures. But then again as I used to tell my customers, "Profit is not a dirty word."

Keep writing but write what you enjoy. I'll keep reading, scoring and commenting. I enjoy a good story with sex where it would normally occur. After all this is an erotic site and yes when sex happens the hotter and more graphic the better. In your case from a female perspective. I may be 77 but still willing to learn not that new knowledge will see much practice! ;-)

Hope my ramblings weren't too boring. The take away if there is one: Keep writing please I really do enjoy your work.

Cheers

SAGE

woodwardwoodwardabout 3 years ago

Of the stories I have selected to read, I have very few I have given a hate or dislike. In general if an author has made an real effort, spent the time to craft a story, I usually give them an average with comments to encourage them to improve. I am not an author simply a reader who enjoys the author's efforts.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
My opinion...

There are simply too many authors in Literotica that if each does what the readers want, in the end, they would end up writing the same stories the same way. I have my favorite authors and am adding more to the list. When I pick up an author, I generally read all of their stories alphabetically if I like the first story that I read.

I have a word document listing all the stories that I've read, favorite stories that I want to read again, stories that I want to read in the future, and listed authors to read in the future. It keeps me from reading the same story twice by mistake. The word document also reflects stories that I read that doesn't make sense, or just isn't any good. As for grammar, it helps; but, unlike others, I generally don't complain. If I do, it's usually over "your/you're" issues. I do have you on my short list to read in the future.

My advice, continue to be yourself when you write. One added note, I'm not a fan of cuckold stories, or stories where the cheating spouse does not get caught. Not into open marriage/swinger stories either. Since I'm sexually straight, I don't read anything Gay or Trans; unless, for some reason, the author I'm reading writes a story. And to clarify what you said, you really don't need the explicit sex in a good romance story; unless, it adds to the story. And yes, again, I do have you on my short list to read in the future.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
ranking

Look at ranking in the business world. People know if you don't give a reviewed person 5 one low score from somebody will get them terminated. If people see something useful in an author they are doing the same thing. You are looking at the ranking too deeply.

Paiger123Paiger123about 3 years ago

I love your writing and appreciate the care given in grammar and spelling errors. I don’t always vote or comment on stories (unless I really liked or hated them) but I think it is more important to follow your passion and write what/how you want than to pander. Ask 10 different people about something and you will get 10 different opinions, few, if any, more valid than your own. So I guess what I am saying is for you to read the comments with a skeptical eye and continue to do it your way. (And this essay has inspired me to take the time to write more comments to authors)

AnotherChapterAnotherChapterabout 3 years ago
Good observations

thanks RA,

As a writer, I share many of your observations. Even though I am a male, and definitely of the senior demographic, I find the gender bias to be somewhat odious. I enjoy your writing and would encourage you to write what you enjoy and be true to yourself rather than pander to the ratings. Yes, they are an indication of how you are received, however there are also a fair number of trolls out there so you can’t let them define you. I don’t post a lot of stories here, but have done a few, mostly because writing a few short stories between the novels that I publish elsewhere and under my name gives me a break and lets me dabble in topics that are a departure from my more extensive work. I enjoy mild erotica more than most of the excessive over the top unrealistic marathon sexual gymnastics, but primarily it is the story that has to come first, and I like that about your work! I have been following you for a while now and look forward to seeing more of your creativity! Thank you once again.

yowseryowserabout 3 years ago

Thanks for a thoughtful piece

In some ways, Lit mirrors the timeless dance that has always existed between writers and readers. There is no money, or publishing/editing layer to get in the way, which simplifies, or perhaps complicates, the relationship. Writers want to connect with their readers, tell their story, gain pleasure from their creative activity in the pursuit of a time-honored craft. Earn some respect, recognition. Readers want a good story.

.

I am sorry your strong-woman stories haven't done better, they certainly belong here, and it is certainly possible to find success with those attributes (some of mine have.) But it seems clear that certain themes are generally not going to resonate well with a majority, and it is up to you how you proceed, but I would hope you remain experimental in your approach.

.

As you have noted, craft excellence does not necessarily translate into a good reception; the scoring here ultimately is a popularity index, and like you, I am astonished that relatively poorly written pieces often have the capacity to achieve enthusiastic reception, while imaginative, well-constructed tales may do poorly. I think this is the author's paradox, and the trick, if their is one, is for you as an author to find your story, tell it to the best of your ability, and be pleased at the chance of nearly instant publication and wide readership. Lots of ways to grow here.

.

As you likely know, this gets discussed in the Author's Hangout a fair amount, and if nothing else that forum provides an insight into other writers' approaches and tactical adaptations.

.

Keep writing, I would hope you stretch your limits and not pay excessive attention to readers' reactions. You have an extensive and wide-ranging corpus to build on.

LiteroticauthorLiteroticauthorabout 3 years ago
Terrific

I've added your story to my favorites, which is a collection of author interviews in one place. Some of the interviews are by others, and some are the authors interviewing themselves, like this essay. Your "Just Out of the Egg" is already there.

Ravey19Ravey19about 3 years ago
Good Observations

Well, my profile doesn't help you at all, unfortunately, as it's mainly blank.

I'll admit that my reading ranges across a number of categories and I can get immersed in one for a couple of weeks before moving on though I usually come back to romance. I think that once someone finds a writer they're happy with in the categories they write in they will stay with that writer. Although the problem is that when the writer starts in a new category do they have the depth of knowledge needed? A lot there will also depend on the depth of knowledge the reader possesses.

I don't think I'm very critical as I'd be a hopeless writer and appreciate the effort that goes into plotting and writing a great story. Therefore, I normally score quite highly but there again tend to be selective in my reading and pick higher rated stories.

One bugbear I do have is coming across stories that are well written but in a series of published chapters which then stop halfway through. If it's a multi part story I often wait until the final part has been issued.

It's courageous to go outside your comfort zone and write in other categories. That's the only way you can develop but it might and does lead to brickbats at times. I always thought Literotica was a "nice" environment where authors were helped but have heard one ot two instances where writers have been "dissed" unfairly here.

Don't give up. You're one of my favourite authors. And most of that is down to your talent.

pantographpantographabout 3 years ago
You don't need to change anything

I don't know how common this is, but twice a week I read a Literotica Romance story to my wife (who like me, is in her 7th decade). She definitely prefers longer stories with a coherent plot, interesting characters, and caring intimacy. Currently your stories are among her favorites and I don't think we have rated any of them less than 5 stars. So please continue to ignore any imagined need to modify your style to appeal to the purient males who apparently dominate both the readers and writers here and don't have an appreciation of your fantastic work.

onedegreeawayonedegreeawayabout 3 years ago

You are absolutely correct. Nothing kills a story for me than bad grammer, either punctuation, spelling, or word choice. Too many don't understand how a comma cuts a sentence into nice bite sized pieces without causing the reader to hyperventilate. The last sentence I wrote is comfortable to read, establishing everything needed to convey an idea; who, what they're doing, and the result.

It could be written like this. I explain the who. Then introduce what's happening. Then I go into the result. But I'm not using commas. I'm using periods. The reader feels short of breath. They have to stop. Take a breath. And keep reading. I read a lot of stories like this. But just the first paragraph. Mostly half a paragraph.

And characters don't monologue in a conversation with each other, they break it up into those bite sized sentences unless they're telling a story. Or giving a speech about how they're taking over the world and we're all DOOMED. Or you're David Weber.

Loose - Release, let go.

Lose - Misplaced, not winning.

Your(s) - Establishing possession.

You're - Contraction of you are, establish an action (You're about to lose it.)

Peak - Pinnacle, the top. Pike's Peak.

Peek - Take a sneaky look.

Oh, boobs can "peek" out of a shirt or they can have "peaks" in the freezer section, but outside of a really creepy video I once saw, they can't "peek" at you.

I apologise if I ranted a bit too much, but terrible Grammer getting 5 stars? Yuck. Plot. Plot gets five stars, not me needing oxygen in order to read it.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Keep on writing your stories your way, a string of sexual encounters with the focus on graphic sex isn't my idea of erotic writing. Your stories are entertaining, captivating, and erotic as can be!

dmallorddmallordabout 3 years ago
Sharing a Few Thoughts on Your Article Nestling's Observations

As a new writer here [less than six months], I found and still find, it difficult to get around this site. But I'm glad I found your article and share a similar train of thought regarding feedback and ratings, from a male perspective. I began writing as the virus settled upon the world. I labored intently on my first novel/novella piece for many days, until, late one evening I froze at my table, wondering if anyone would read it. So I stopped and published it at a breaking point in the story 'to test the waters.' After four weeks, 3,800 readers had looked at it. [I'm not sure if the 'view' count means they actually read it or just dropped in and out afterward like someone thumbing through a magazine.] However, a few did it seems, but there was no feedback of the kind you and I seemed to be craving as new writers.

I shifted strategies and added the balance of the story in episodes under incest and taboo category looking for larger response counts. In four weeks the count total was over 17,800 [not including the number when first placed in novels] but still met the same lack of formative feedback. Eventually, my one and only response regarding the novel piece was that it was a long, meaningless waste of space, or words to that effect, if I recall it correctly. Although, it rated a 4.56 at time of the comment.

Somewhat flustered, I consolidated the episodes as one novel again, under a new name and resubmitted it letting the editor know that it was previously published. It was rejected because 'readers get upset when they find they have read something already published'. The editor said to resubmit, if I wanted to, and ask for the old to be taken down. I did that. The result: since December 2020, it has 2,800 views with a rating of 4.56.

What does that indicate to me? Where you post matters more than the content. It went from almost 18,000 reads in four weeks to 2,800 reads in four months! The score remained the same!

Of late, after my eleventh submission, the comments I have received seem receptive to more writings, but none offer constructive criticisms that I require to sustain my impetus for writing. I stumbled upon the small icon that allows an export of story stats in a .cvs format and now I import that into an Excel spreadsheet for assessment. [Didn't find that nugget mentioned anywhere on-site] My overall ratings are above 4.5. Nine of the eleven submissions are marked HOT. My lowest was 4.11 and it was an unpolished, flippant one-off piece to help relieve some stress of the moment. In approximately four hours that submission had over 2,800 views. As of this writing, in four days it has been viewed 9,160 times. [Seems to add some evidence to your theory that sex-without-theme scores better.] What did I expect! - It is named Literotica.com after all! ;-)

Three of my articles are rated above 4.7 so it seems I may have some talent; not necessarily though. I did add a dash of sex to my stories; as your article mentions graphic sex seems to score better. I detected that early on when I first found Literotica.com last year. One flattering, anonymous commentator remarked that my sex scenes were almost literary in content while also pointing out I needed an editor. Perhaps that might be an indicator of writing talent or not. I just don't know how to find the positive feedback necessary to increasing the quality of writing from within this site.

I wish there were a writer's resource on Literotica that could act as a sounding board for writer feedback. Once, I had a two week writer's workshop that provided self-critique, peer-critique, and a final paper-critique with the instructor. [Not on erotic writing!] Perhaps there is something like that, or could be on Literotica - I just haven't found it.

- Just some added feedback from my perspective on what you have already noted.-

"No one appointed me a judge. I only have opinions and everyone has one of those." You said. That echoed, I enjoy your style and craftsmanship. Your writings show care and exhibit a well polished effort. Keep up the good work!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I find it strange that a turned on woman doesn't get more traction. I'm one of those old married dudes in a sexless marriage (not her fault, she tries but it doesn't work) so I read a lot here.

In real life, and in erotica, there is little that is more arousing to me than a turned on woman. That's why hookers aren't an answer for me, they are just doing their job. I want a sexual partner to be into it, really, really into it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

If it's in the Romance section, I want a slow build to a relationship. Even just hints about the sexual act is fine with me (ie, no explicit description). I for the most part do not read anything but Romance, First Time, Interracial and Mature stories. I don't want a stroke story, period.

Maybe it's just me, a rather lonely, straight, never married, rape surviving old maid that hasn't been in a relationship in over 30 years. I know I'm a minority here. I live the Eric Carmen song "All by Myself" every day.

ChopinesqueChopinesquealmost 2 years ago

I'm impressed with this, and with what is shown of the person. Good writing is .. a delight. And whatever the characteristics driving the stats, and the demography of the readership, this guy gets it: ladies can and do feel, perceive in depth and express in words their personal perspectives. How wondrous that we've been given two ways of being so human.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

I'm a 62year old male.

I look for stories written by females. Preferably stories about wives that cheat within the 1st year of marriage and they continue for 10-15 years. Before the loving, wife-worshiping-husband finally gives up and goes for the throat so to speak, boosts her from the house, cancels all credit for both of them and sues for custody. I don't need detailed sex senes (unless they fit the story).

I look for and read stories that claim to be or based on some true even. Why...? Because I was so damaged by my 1st marriage. I'm still trying to understand why women jump into bed w whom ever. My second did the same 'till I told her I was leaving... she can have the house, the IRA, the investments everything. Something shocked her. I didn't yell, beg, and break shit as before.

That time I was calm as Gandhi and quietly left... Only to be begged back after she needed and got a hysterectomy. (Hmmm) wonder why she begged me back after her sex drive was taken.

Recently read "A twenty fucking year lie."

It shocked me so bad, I trembled. I sneered. I was ANGRY... Why? Because it bought forward all the times I was deceived by women that claimed love, loyalty and trustworthiness. 44 years of heartbreak and still looking for the answer.

Keep writing I'll keep reading.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userrawallace@rawallace
UPDATE: It has been a while since I last published a story here. I've returned to the sci-fi genre this time with a short story I hope you will enjoy. Please feel free to leave comments both favorable and not so favorable. I appreciate them all. I enjoy reading a wide variet...