A New Encounter Ch. 11

Story Info
The fleet prepares to move out.
7k words
4.76
7.3k
39

Part 11 of the 11 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 07/08/2010
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
DMaster_14
DMaster_14
1,067 Followers

A New Encounter Ch. 11

Senior Captain Divel, now Commodore was still gathering up her data files when Yeoman Aqiltid approached and waited silently to be acknowledged.

"Yes Yeoman," Divel asked simply as she closed her case.

"Admiral Nordaltim wishes to see you in her office immediately Commodore."

"Of course," Divel replied easily. After all what else could one say when summoned by the fleet's commanding officer.

Aqiltid led the Commodore through the bustling outer office of the Senior Admiral and knocked quietly on the hatch frame and announced her.

"Admiral, Commodore Divel," Aqiltid said clearly.

"Come in Commodore," A stern voice said from out of sight and the yeoman waved the Commodore through the hatch and then closed it silently.

"Commodore Divel, reporting as ordered," Divel said, coming to attention three steps from the admiral's desk.

"Relax, Commodore, take a seat," Nordaltim said with a smile. "This is my office, not a parade square."

Divel blinked and then settled herself in the comfortable chair in front of the desk. She sat upright and looked squarely at the admiral wondering what was going on.

"Commodore," Nordaltim began casually. "We have a problem. I have reviewed your file, and the file of your predecessor, Commodore Legan. You clearly have a problem with authority, and Commodore Legan had a problem with you, why is that?"

"Admiral," Divel said cautiously, "as I stated in the briefing room, I feel that an officer is required to say what they really think, regardless of the outcome to their career. We are required to follow orders, but in analysis, it is necessary to speak out if we find something. Those two requirements are not always compatible. As such, I have had occasion to conflict with my superiors."

"Indeed," Nordaltim remarked. "Commodore Legan as noted several instances of insubordination in your file when you disregarded her comments on your analysis."

"Yes Admiral," Divel responded without heat. "I felt that the Commodore was disregarding vital information on the subjects and brought them to her attention."

"Oh, I noticed that just before each notation, the Commodore had presented an analysis to her superior and that each time your analysis was correct. The most impressive one was on the enemy intentions of the exercise Doral Run. You correctly ascertained that the enemy was hiding a significant portion of her fleet under stealth and sent your comments in time to save our fleet, but Commodore Legan deleted your comments from her report and advised to proceed. The only thing that saved your tail was the time stamp on the message that CIC kept. She couldn't get to it to delete it."

"Yes Admiral." Divel said.

"And the only thing that saved Commodore Legan was her friends in high places on the council." Nordaltim said. "I am sure that you noticed the reaction to Commodore Legan's arrest by Council member Stantrvelos. I can only assume that she is working frantically at this moment to delete any record of her supporting the Commodore."

"I am certain that I don't know Admiral." Divel said respectfully.

"You have made quite a career for yourself without any form of patronage or higher support, but you do realize that without any form of higher level encouragement, you will never break into flag rank?"

"Admiral," Divel said with deep breath, "I had never thought that I would make Captain, never mind Commodore, as I am not from a fleet family and have no sponsors. I am ready for the challenge, but I did not go looking for this promotion."

"I am aware of that Commodore," Nordaltim replied quickly. "But you need to be aware of the inner workings of the higher level command now that you have been shoved into them. Commodore Legan had her sponsors and as such, they will be looking for a way to either cut you back down or cut her completely loose. I think they will go for letting her go after that display in the briefing, but I can't be sure and you need to be warned."

"Thank you Admiral," Divel said with a small smile.

"Don't thank me Commodore," Nordaltim said raising a hand, "just go out and show that it was the right decision, or we could both be on our way out. Get with your department and get it into order, you have full authority to do whatever you feel is necessary to make this work. My yeoman has your orders and promotion paperwork ready; see her on your way out. Dismissed Commodore, you have a lot of work to do."

"Yes Admiral, and thank you for the chance." Divel repeated, getting to her feet, saluting and leaving the office.

Divel stopped at Aqiltid's desk and the yeoman handed her a large folder containing both data orbs and hard copies.

"Your orders are on the orbs, and I have included the traditional hard copy originals for your file, Commodore," Aqiltid said.

"Thank you yeoman," Divel replied with a smile.

"I have taken the liberty of including your new collar insignia and shoulder boards as well Commodore."

"That was thoughtful of you, thank you again." Divel commented, feeling truly grateful.

"If there is anything else I can do for you Commodore, just ask."

"There is one thing," Divel said rubbing her nose in thought. "Can you please contact the intel section and arrange a meeting for all hands in fifteen Vestos?"

"Of course Commodore," Aqiltid tapped keys on her desk unit and frowned at the display. "Conference room seventeen four twenty looks large enough and is available."

"That will be perfect, and have security standing by," Divel said as she started to move off. "I have a feeling that this is going to get ugly."

"Of course Commodore," Aqiltid said with a smile that was just short of a grin as she reached for the comm.

Divel stopped into the head and changed her insignia and shoulder boards. She checked her appearance and the only flaw that she could find was the fact that she was in a captain's uniform with commodore's shoulder boards, but there was nothing to be done about that now. She picked up her comm pad and as she left the head, she made an appointment with the fleet tailor shop to have her new uniform run up for the next turn.

She moved down the passageway with a confident stride, her anxiety hidden behind a calm front, but as she approached the conference room, she could hear the staff already in heated discussion about what had happened at the briefing. Legan's yeoman and executive officer had been there and had clearly informed the rest of the staff of the incident.

Divel stopped just short of the hatch and checked her pad; it showed that the last of the staff, her staff now, had just arrived and that the room was full to capacity, the security forces that she requested were stationed at both hatches waiting for her. There was no seat for her, but that was better. She tugged her uniform smooth and stepped into the room and closed the hatch behind her. The volume of the conversations in the room dropped instantly to deathly quiet.

"Good afternoon," Divel said. 'Might as well start out pleasantly,' she thought. "With the way rumors fly around this building, no doubt that you have already heard that Commodore Legan is in medical and that I have been selected as her replacement."

Divel could see the waves of hostility coming off most of the other officers in the room, but the support staff looked as pleased as they thought they could get away with.

"This is a permanent change to the staff in the section and I intend to go right on making staffing changes as I see fit.

"Captains Norfict and Gonvidal are forthwith removed from this section, report to personnel for reassignment. Commanders Brangren and Cathgoral the same. Security is outside and will escort you to retrieve your personal effects. You are dismissed."

The four officers sat and stared at Divel for several seconds and the as one they stood and moved out of the hatch at the far end of the room, shooting her dark glares.

"Commander Perangeon is promoted to Captain Senior grade and moved to the position of executive officer. Lieutenant Commander Jubasantan is promoted Commander and takes over section one from Commander Perangeon.

"The rest of the changes that I will make will depend on work load." Divel informed her stunned staff. "As of this moment, the previous policy of telling the senior officer what you think she wants to hear is completely revoked. I want honest opinions. I don't care if they differ from mine, I want to hear what you honestly think, but I want the data to back up those thoughts. If you are going on a gut instinct, then you had better find something fast to show that you are right. I need hard data, not pipe dreams that can get our people killed.

"You have all been briefed on the upcoming operation by the fleet. As a direct result of the briefing this morning, I have bought us two turns for review of the operational database from this planet that the fleet is going to move against. Get me some hard data on what is going on on that planet. Dismissed."

The staff got to their feet and headed out the hatch when Divel spoke again.

"Yeomans Mixtelos and Mabor please remain."

Mixtelos was almost out the door but Mabor was still in her seat. Mabor was Divel's yeoman and had been taking notes as well as recording the entire short meeting. Mixtelos moved to the side and let the other staff leave before she tried to return to the conference room. She knew what was coming and didn't want to hear her own firing. She settled back into her seat and waiting patiently for Divel to speak.

"Mixtelos, you were Commodore Legan's yeoman," Divel began. "Mabor is my yeoman, and I intend to keep her as such. However, you have certain knowledge that she will need. Now I am not replacing you," Divel added causing Mixtelos to look up suddenly.

"I know that Commodore Legan set certain standards for this section, but as of now they are no longer effective. As such you will maintain your position as Commodore's yeoman as will Mabor. I know that I will have enough work for the both of you.

"I also know of your loyalty to Commodore Legan," Divel said, her face getting sterner. "I am expecting the same loyalty to me that you gave her. After witnessing what happened this morning, Commodore Legan's career is all but over and I know just how important and vital a good yeoman is. Don't do anything to change my mind.

"Mixtelos, return to the Commodore's office and remove all of Commodore Legan's personal effects, Mabor, you can move mine in as soon as Mixtelos has completed that task. I will be with the council for the next several decos I imagine, that will give you time to get the section settled. Dismissed."

Both of the young females left the conference room quickly and quietly leaving Divel alone to her thoughts. She had thirty vestos until the council meeting and she knew that at some point she would have to deal with personnel, but they would have to wait. She rallied her thoughts and started to organize her mental files for the meeting coming up and moved out of the conference room on her way to the council chamber.

********

The council was just arriving as Divel joined them and she was directed to a seat just beside Admiral Nordaltim. Council member Stantrvelos shot Divel a dark look as Divel took the indicated seat, Legan's usual seat, she shifted to a neutral expression as Nordaltim turned to look at the council member. Prime Byrocnel called the meeting to order and the doors closed.

"Members," she began with a strong voice, "we are here to consider the briefing of Commodore Divel. You have all had time to study it and her conclusions and I want open and honest feedback. The Commodore is here to answer any further questions that you may have." Byrocnel nodded to Divel.

"Who would like to start?" Byrocnel asked as she sat down.

"I say we attack now," Stantrvelos said instantly. "There technology is inferior to ours and as such we have nothing to fear from these primitives." Several heads nodded around the table, but not all.

"And what of Commodore Divel's analysis," asked council member Bilnden. "If these creatures can indeed destroy one of ships just be using one of those..." she looked at Divel.

"Grenades Council Member Bilnden," Divel supplied.

"Yes grenades, thank you Divel, and by the way, in closed session like this we don't use titles of any kind. It speeds things up a bit." Divel nodded in acknowledgement but saw the look on Nordaltim's face and realized that she would still be held to military protocol.

"If Divel is correct and we still need the physicists to confirm that, but for the time being I think we should err on the side of caution, then once they figure it out they could destroy our entire fleet in turn."

"How could they figure that out?" Stantrvelos demanded hotly. "They would have no way of identifying the crew from one ship to another."

"Perhaps and perhaps not," Council Member Grupance put in. "We know that they have space scanning capabilities, how long before they can detect our teleportal and they will know that as the portal is used, the ship was destroyed?"

"They are not that clever," Stantrvelos dismissed.

"I would not be so quick to disregard them," Nordaltim countered. "According to Captain Mina, they captured several of our science teams prior to contact. I think it is safe to assume that they have scanned them and can probably detect the difference between us and their native species that we resemble."

"If they captured one of our teams, then why didn't they attack the ship while it was still in orbit?" Stantrvelos demanded. "Captain Mina was in orbit for more than a Nudvo (year), and they didn't even know we were there."

"We cannot prove that Stant," Grupance stated. "You can't prove a negative."

"In addition," Nordaltim commented, "we are still going through the files that Mina was able to draw from their secured system and we have not been able to debrief the science team. They were inside their secure base and may have input that we don't have."

Divel scrolled through her computer terminal as the argument continued up and down the table and noted two things that might just put the issue to rest, but she was not quite sure that she wanted to share both. Her internal struggle was noted by the Prime and she was surprised when she was questioned directly.

"Commodore," Byrocnel asked with a sly grin, "are you alright? You look like you just swallowed a sour burksal fruit."

Started, Divel looked up sharply and forced her face back into its normal non-expression.

"Yes Prime," she said looking directly at the leader of the council.

"Then tell us what you have found." Byrocnel stated casually.

Divel recognized an order when she heard one, regardless of how it was phrased.

"Yes Prime. I have just been forwarded two pieces of information that the council need to know, but I am not sure if it will help the situation or make it worse."

"Well spit it out and let us decide," Stantrvelos snapped.

"I have just received an update on fleet status." Divel informed Byrocnel, ignoring Stantrvelos' demand. "If we delay for the two additional decos, then three of the six cruisers under maintenance will be able to join the task group, increasing the fire power available if needed."

"Well that certainly makes the delay worthwhile," Prime noted.

"And the other item," Nordaltim asked, well aware of Divel's habit of holding on to the bad news as long as possible.

"It seems that the royal yacht departed with the designate aboard, and..." Divel began.

"We are well aware of that fact," Stantrvelos interrupted with a sneer.

"Yes, Councilor Stantrvelos," Divel replied with practiced calm. "But what you may not know is that they have deviated from their filed flight plan."

"Their stated destination was Arcadia," Byrocnel said calmly.

"Yes Prime, however, they have not emerged at the required second jump point." Divel said.

"Could something have happened in FTL?" Stantrvelos said, almost hopefully.

"It is possible," Divel said cautiously, "but unlikely. The yacht's captain is one of the best in the fleet and her academy scores on astrogation and FTL were the top of her class. And of course, the yacht has fleet quality drive and nav systems. It seems unlikely..." Divel stopped talking as her terminal pinged to get her attention and she glanced down, her brow knitted in concern.

"Commodore," Nordaltim said quietly when they had waited for a short time.

"Sorry Admiral," Divel said contritely. "On a hunch I had the intel section run the vectors that the yacht used upon entering the last confirmed jump point, and it seems that their course was for the Dalness sector."

"But that is where..." Byrocnel said sharply.

"Where Captain Mina is currently located." Divel finished for her. "Yes Prime."

"But what in the name of Trelnor's Gate could she do there." Stantrvelos shouted.

"I have suspicions Councilor, but no hard proof and I would rather not speculate at this time."

"How long until we can confirm the yacht's course?" Byrocnel questioned.

"If it is simply a course change to the Dalness Sector, then they should emerge at the next jump point in seven decos.' Divel replied, checking her screen. "We would receive conformation almost instantly from the jump point traffic control. If the yacht headed somewhere else or had some form of malfunction, then we may never know for sure."

Byrocnel and Nordaltim shared a dark look and Byrocnel nodded once in decision.

"Admiral I want the fleet under way in three decos. The remaining three cruisers will have to catch up when they complete refit."

"I would suggest that Commodore Divel, accompany the fleet and complete your analysis enroute. Any new updates can come back to us via jump point communications." Stantrvelos interjected, a calculating neutral expression on her face.

"An excellent recommendation Councilor," Byrocnel agreed. "Commodore, have the remainder of your staff working on this planet's tech review while you are with the fleet. I want you to focus on their tactics and possible strategy."

"Finally," Stantrvelos muttered under her breath. This would be the perfect chance to get rid of this upstart and put her own people back in charge in Intelligence. She may not be able to save Commodore Legan, but her support officers especially Captains Norfict and Gonvidal would be a better choice than this krilno. Byrocnel shot her a warning look before turning back to Nordaltim.

"Admiral, your fleet's orders are to take their direction from Commodore Divel, but that they are not to fire unless fired upon."

"Prime, that is in direct violation of the First Mistress' orders." Stantrvelos spat, her fist striking the table.

"Correction Councilor Stantrvelos," Byrocnel said with forced calm. "That is in violation of the former First Mistress' orders, not the current First Mistress."

"She is not the First Mistress," Stantrvelos retorted hotly. "She has not been presented to the people, therefore she has no authority to issue orders."

"And she has not," Byrocnel noted calmly. "I am currently issuing orders that I feel would be best to keep the current situation from escalating."

"But the standing orders from the First Mistress were to take the required material from any species that we found compatible by force."

"Actually," Admiral Nordaltim interrupted, "her orders were to obtain the genetic material required by any and all means necessary, up to and including the use of force."

"Then that is what we must do." Stantrvelos demanded hotly.

"And that is what we are doing at this time." Byrocnel said soothingly. "By deploying the fleet we still have the ability to take by force what we need, but if we can negotiate a treaty giving us what we want without blood shed or the loss of life that I feel that we must pursue that course of action."

DMaster_14
DMaster_14
1,067 Followers