A New York Haunting: Pt. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Neither do I. That's why I scarcely know how to account for it."

Ondine motioned towards the path, and they started slowly walking again. "Perhaps simply begin with the first thing you saw?"

He nodded. It was easier like this --- walking without her big eyes staring up at him. "In both instances, it was approximately an hour and a half after I entered the room --- between 4 and 5 am. I was sitting in the chair next to the bed, writing." The recitation of these preliminary, uncontroversial facts calmed him somewhat.

He continued, "As I was working, a sudden icy draft swept through the room, extinguishing the fire --- extinguishing it completely without a trace of embers or smoke. Immediately, I was rendered immobile in the chair --- horrorstruck and utterly paralyzed in limb and voice. My heart was pounding, and my eyes were starting from my head with the absolute conviction there was some demonic presence in the room with us. Even though my eyes could move, they could see no visible being." Anders shook his head. "Nevertheless, I felt the presence approaching --- a dreadful change in the air current --- I felt it directly before me next to the bed."

He sensed Ondine's gaze fixed upon him in rapt attention.

"Then the bedcovers were turned back by the invisible force ---" At this juncture, he paused, searching for suitable words. "The being --- ghost, demon, wraith --- it... erm... proceeded to... engage in relations with you."

Her sharp intake of breath made him turn towards her. She had halted upon the path. Wide eyes regarded him from under the brim of the boyish cap. "What do you mean?" she demanded.

"Erm --- marital relations. Sexual intercourse."

Her mouth dropped open, then snapped shut. "Mr. Røkke, this tale is taking a preposterous turn! You said yourself there was nothing visible in the room. How can you then describe such a... such a disgraceful scene?!"

He swallowed. "I surmised what was happening by the... by the effect... by what was transpiring with you. Your legs were open, and your body was moving on the mattress in a... erm... in a certain telltale rhythm."

She stared at him blankly. "And you simply watched this extraordinary event?"

Anders shook his head in frustration. "With every breath and muscle, I struggled against the force that had fixed me to the chair, but I was powerless to aid you."

"What of myself?"

"You appeared to be in a trance with your eyes closed and your body pliant to the ghost's will."

Ondine's arms crossed over her chest. She looked even smaller and more vulnerable in the oversized male garb. "I trust these supposed 'relations' took place under the bedcovers?" she asked.

He debated a chivalrous evasion for a second, then shook his head truthfully.

Her eyebrows quivered. "But I was wearing a nightgown, of course."

"Well... that is to say... the first night, yes --- but the ghost lifted it up. The second night, he... he removed it," he stammered.

In the dim light, Anders observed the outraged tears spring to the girl's eyes, and his heart twisted. She turned and stalked away.

He hastened after her, matching her brisk pace to stay by her side. They were nearing the park entrance by her home.

"You claim this visitation happened both nights? Why did you not speak of it after the first night?" she said, not looking at him.

"It seemed so improbable, I was initially convinced I had fallen asleep and dreamed it. It was only after the more elaborate events of the second night I realized it could not be a dream."

"Doubtless, the entire thing was a dream, Mr. Røkke!" Ondine declared. A moment later, she abruptly stopped in her stride, her stony gaze meeting his. "More elaborate? To what do you refer?"

Anders cursed himself for the poorly chosen words. His fingers straightened and re-gripped the leather strap of her bag on his shoulder.

"Mr. Røkke? Pray, don't patronize me." The silvery moon highlighted her tense features.

He cleared his throat. "The invisible being engaged with you several times, in a... erm... variety of manners." At her fearful and bewildered expression, he mumbled, "There are several methods by which a male and female can copulate. The ghost's inventiveness in this regard was evidenced by --- I beg your pardon, Mrs. Van der Veen --- the visible effects upon your private parts." His cheeks grew hot in the cool night air.

Ondine's face jerked away, but not before he beheld her utter mortification. She strode away from him again. Berating himself, he rushed after her.

He had just caught up to the girl when her abrupt about-face almost caused him to collide with her. With a terse motion, she reclaimed her portfolio bag from his shoulder.

"I thank you, Mr. Røkke, for regaling me with this most fascinating fairytale," she said coldly. "I do hope you have gleaned from it every measure of amusement you had anticipated. Good evening, sir." Turning on her heel, she walked away.

Anders quashed his first instinct to hurry after her. She had made her wishes clear, and he would not importune her further. Instead, he stood dejected on the path, watching her small figure march into the darkness without a backward glance. He lost sight of her as she crossed the avenue.

"Thank God, I didn't tell her about the frigging," he muttered.