A Not So Miserable Old Cow

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Our first job was to go through the list of companies and contact the CEO s of each to warn them of what is about to happen. Initially they were to refuse to return his call. Then they would accept the call and inform him that they were generally but not specifically unhappy with his business direction.

The climate activist were wholeheartedly behind us and increased their campaign in opposition to his company's fracking sites' based on the negative environmental impact.

Postings of this increased activism on social media increased social awareness of the situation.

Also increased, was the pressure placed on politicians, particularly those who supported this process.

It was also announced by one of the companies that a plan to produce solar/thermal electricity had progressed beyond the testing phase and was now ready for implementation. This process would take sea water, pump it through tubes stretched out in hot dry areas that receive a huge amount of sunlight. The super-heated steam would pass through generators and then condensed and used for agricultural production in special farms. The super saline remaining water would be pumped to large evaporation ponds for salt production. No water is wasted and the generators would power all pumps and the considerable excess power introduced into the electricity grid. The cost of production would be the maintenance of infrastructure, the environmental impact, nil.

By the time that he had, reluctantly it must be said, agreed to the meeting, we had a very strong case.

He addressed the meeting of shareholders. "This meeting has been called because there is a groundswell of opposition to the direction that this company is taking. I oppose this meeting on the basis that it is in the best interests of this company and its future commercial viability that is should proceed in the current direction. If you were to peruse out financial statements you will realise that we are in a very healthy position going forward. To change direction at this time would adversely affect our bottom line. I move that this be put to the vote." He was obviously confident that he had the numbers, believing that he still held the majority of shares. "I ask for a show of hands." He was shocked when the hands were counted and he did not have the numbers. "I am asking that the eligibility of those here that have voted are checked."

Aaron stood. "That has already taken place. Each person represents individual blocks of shareholders, when tallied they represent fifty four percent of the votes."

"That cannot be. This company is mine, I started it and I have run it for twenty years without opposition."

"That might be true, but this company is listed on the stock exchange and shares have been acquired over the years by many different people representing many different companies as well as individual investors. You have not held a majority of shares for over a year. The companies that have purchased shares belong to a group of companies that are part of a holding company wholly owned by your mother. The individual shareholders are, your mother, myself, my grandson and your grand-daughter who acquired the shares that were held by your late wife."

"But her will is subject to a contested probate."

"Even if she loses control of those shares that she has inherited from your wife, it is still not enough to overturn the decision of this meeting. On behalf of those present I move a motion for the dismissal of you as chairman of this company, I call for a seconder of this motion."

"I second it." Granny said.

"All those in favour of this motion would you please raise your hands."

The votes were counted and the motion passed. My father was no longer Chairman of his company.

"You have not heard the end of this!" My father's parting shot as he stormed from the meeting.

One thing about cowards is that, when they are successfully opposed, they tend to lash out at everyone around them. The first to feel the brunt of his rage was Cynthia, his PA and the woman who had expected to be his next wife. It did not take her long to realise that he was no longer the man that she had experienced until now. She contacted Granny and asked for a meeting. I was invited.

"Thomas told me that what was stated at his wife's Coronial hearing was untrue, and I, based on my relationship with him, believed him. I have now seen him in a different light, and it saddens me to say this, but I now believe the statements to be true. I have resigned my position."

"I would withdraw hat resignation."

"Why?"

"Moves are afoot to have him removed from, not only company chairman, but company manager. He will soon be out of a job and unlikely to find a new one any time soon."

"Why are you doing this, he is your son after all?"

"If you knew the man that I know and not his public persona, you would not have asked that question. His treatment of his wife was being transferred to Sinnead here. I could not, would not, stand by and see that happen. I had to do something."

The social media platforms had a field day, broadcasting his movements in terms that stepped over the boundaries of satirical to the point that he threatened to sue the platforms for allowing lies to be published.

He approached CEO's of other gas exploration and production companies but they were reluctant to support him.

The continual misinformation and provable lies that he posted on his social media sites became more and more irrational to the point that he was banned from these platforms. The greater the opposition, the more irrational he became.

His income stream was depleted to the point where he applied for his separation entitlements. When it was pointed out that, as he had been summarily dismissed from both his chairman and his manager positions, his entitlements amounted to one months salary, plus accrued annual leave, and as he had not been setting aside monies to cover his superannuation, nothing more. He really lost the plot.

He stayed in his home until he realised that he no longer could afford his utility costs or the council rates that were now due. He was forced to sell and move to more modest accommodation, a small cottage in the hinterland.

"Do you think we should throw him a lifeline?" I asked Granny one day when Simon and I visited her. Yes, I was no longer living with her, Simon and I have our own home, but we visit her and Aaron often, not because we have to, but because both of us love the mental stimulation that such visits bring. Plus, drum roll please, we want to tell her that she will soon be a great-granny. We will introduce our children, we plan more than one, to the wonders of this amazing woman who, not only saved me from a fate worse than death but has guided me throughout my life. "Alright Simon, introduced me to the most amazing man ever. Is that good enough?"

No longer is Granny the 'miserable old cow' that lives down the road. People now approach her on the streets, and when she goes into a shop, I think the word 'obsequious' is what I'm looking for, they can't be any more attentive if they tried.

Simon and I hadn't invited the local residents to our wedding, but the church was packed and a huge crowd had assembled outside to wish us well. Such is her fame.