A Para-fable

Story Info
A tale of learning and acceptance.
1.4k words
3k
1
5

Part 1 of the 2 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 07/22/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
RiverMaya
RiverMaya
76 Followers

(I wrote this story many, many - many - years ago, intending it to be more than just one chapter. But JK Rowling's magnificent Harry Potter series was born and I felt my story and its three main characters paled in comparison.)

*All characters in this tale are above 18.

----------

PROLOGUE

Summer had once again arrived at the small school by the foothills of High Mountain. With her came the sweet smell of jasmine, and it was the scent of these flowers that had awakened the wise teacher, Falcon Eye, for the past week.

But today was different; yes, the sweet fragrance of jasmine still hung quietly in the morning mist -- but today... today, Falcon Eye had finally come to a decision. Among the many students who were in his care, he had finally chosen the three most deserving to take the supreme test.

The sun had just begun to peek over the horizon when Falcon Eye called the first student.

Scholarly but self-effacing, Lemuel, the governor's nephew, quickly followed Falcon Eye, as the master, bent by many years of teaching, led the young scholar to a small room at the end of the hallway.

When Falcon Eye opened the door, Lemuel was surprised -- for the tiny room was dark and empty. There were no chairs, no tables and its one small window was boarded shut.

"My son, you have spent three years with me. All that I know, all that I cherish -- these I have shared with you. Now, before I let you leave, will you fulfill one more task for me?"

"Gladly, master," the young man answered.

"From all that you have learned these past years, fill this room with what you value most," Falcon Eye said.

----------

The sun had reached the top of High Mountain when Lemuel once again stood at Falcon Eye's door.

"Come, master, I have done what you asked. I have filled the room with what I value most."

The old teacher saw a small smile on Lemuel's lips as they made their way back to the tiny room. Was it a smile of triumph or satisfaction? Falcon Eye could not tell.

"Look, master!" Lemuel said, as he opened the door for his tutor.

The old master was taken aback, for the governor's nephew had filled the small room with books.

All kinds of books were everywhere in the room! Thick books covered the floor, thin books were on the window sill, they lay in piles and stood in rows all around the room.

"This is quite a feat, my son. But why did you choose to fill this room with books?" Falcon Eye asked.

Lemuel cleared his throat, then drew back his shoulders.

"We learn everything from books, master. All the knowledge in the world has been written down on paper so that every generation can read them."

Falcon Eye looked into the student's clear brown eyes. Yes, Lemuel was a fine young man, but that was the problem -- he was young, perhaps too young.

Falcon Eye placed a hand on the shoulder of the governor's nephew.

"You are right, Lemuel. The knowledge of the world, perhaps even of the universe, has been written down. But courage, loyalty, faith, hope and love cannot be put on paper. These we learn only by living them. You will have to stay for another year, my son."

----------

The sun had passed the tip of High Mountain when the old teacher called the second student. Mariquita, the mayoress' daughter, came at once. She was tiny and delicate and walked with very dainty steps. She always wore a flower in her long black hair and she was the envy of all the other girls in the school.

Mariquita curtsied before Falcon Eye.

"I am here, master."

"Ah, my dear, you have been in my school for three years now and you have done so well. Everything I know and everything I cherish I have passed on to you. Now before I let you leave, will you do just one more task for your old teacher?"

"Of course, master."

Falcon Eye led Mariquita to the tiny room at the end of the hallway and opened the door.

"Fill this room with what you value most, my child."

----------

The sun had started to come down behind High Mountain when Mariquita knocked on the door of Falcon Eye's study.

"Come quickly, master. I have filled the room with what I value most."

The young girl held the old man's hand as they made their way to the tiny room. Falcon Eye smiled as he watched Mariquita's quick steps on the wooden floor.

"Perhaps she is excited," he thought.

"You will be surprised, master," the young girl said, as she opened the door for Falcon Eye.

And surprised the teacher was, for the room was filled with flowers. Roses, carnations, daisies, violets, jasmine, wild flowers, garden flowers, hot house blooms... the room was almost ankle deep with them!

"These are magnificent, my child. But why flowers, Mariquita?" Falcon Eye asked the mayoress' daughter.

"Oh, master, I had to fill this room with flowers. It was drab and empty before. Look around you, it is so beautiful now because of these blooms. We must always strive for the beautiful."

The old teacher sighed and squeezed his student's hand gently.

Mariquita was bright and beautiful indeed, but perhaps a little too innocent of the world outside the school.

"You are right, of course, my dear, we must strive for beauty, even for perfection, in our lives. But what is beautiful and perfect cannot always be seen. You will have to stay for one more year, Mariquita."

----------

The sky had already darkened and the sun had nearly set on the horizon behind High Mountain when Falcon Eye called the third and last student to his study. Calmando, the farmer's son, had been working in the fields the whole day. His coat was soiled and his sandals were still caked with mud, but he removed them before he entered the room.

"Forgive me, master, for not coming earlier," the farmer's son said.

"Do not worry nor apologize, my son, for doing your duties. You have been with me for three years now and I believe it is time for you to move on and see the world outside our little school. But before I let you go, can you fulfill one last task for me?"

"Anything, master, you have but to speak."

Falcon Eye led Calmando to the same dark, tiny room at the end of the hallway. He opened the door and led the young man inside.

"Everything I know and everything I cherish I have shared with you, Calmando. Now before I let you leave, fill this room with what you value most."

----------

Night had fully set on the small school that lay in the foothills of High Mountain when Calmando gently knocked on the door of Falcon Eye's study. The old man opened the door.

"Master, please come. I have done what you asked," Calmando said.

Falcon Eye held on to the arm of the farmer's son as they made their way to the tiny room at the end of the hallway.

He was very tired now, he had walked the same passageway half a dozen times that day. He looked at Calmando walking beside him and was a little surprised that the young man did not look at all tired, even after a full day's work at the fields.

"Perhaps it is because he is young and strong", the teacher thought, "and... I am old."

At last, they reached the tiny room.

"Teacher, if you please," Calmando said as he opened the door and led Falcon Eye inside.

The room was still empty; there were no chairs, no tables and its small window was still boarded shut. But it was no longer dark, for the tiny room was brightly lit by the light of one candle.

"Why did you choose a candle, my son? Does it hold great value for you?" Falcon Eye asked Calmando.

The farmer's son looked around the room before he answered.

"Yes, master, light holds great value for me, but I think it holds greater value... for this room."

A smile as bright as the candle's light lit the Falcon Eye's face.

"You have chosen well, my son and I was not wrong in choosing you. You can now go out into the world, Calmando, and," he nodded towards the candle, "be that light for others."

RiverMaya
RiverMaya
76 Followers
  • COMMENTS
5 Comments
chytownchytownover 3 years ago
Thanks For Sharing****

This very enlightening story🕯🕯🕯🕯

rawallacerawallaceover 3 years ago
Light

You show your own light. Thank you for coming into our world.

RiverMayaRiverMayaover 3 years agoAuthor
Thank you To Bebop3

Thank you very much, Bebop3.

RiverMayaRiverMayaover 3 years agoAuthor
Rrply to Bebop3

Thank you, Bebop3.

Bebop3Bebop3over 3 years ago

Excellent story, Maya. You have a true gift.

Share this Story

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

Similar Stories

The Surprise A "date rapist" gets a surprise at a nightclub.in NonConsent/Reluctance
Jan's Evolution Ch. 01 Read my previous series. Sister Jan opens up.in Incest/Taboo
Pheromones - Alex (Re-Write) Pt. 01 I participate in a medical experiment.in Erotic Couplings
Genes are to Blame Ch. 01 A stone is the trigger - or not?in Erotic Couplings
My Brother Returns Pt. 01 Will Zachary ever acknowledge what’s unsaid?in Incest/Taboo
More Stories