A Ph.D. in Chemistry Ch. 01

Story Info
Recently starting her first professor job, she meets him.
1.3k words
4.04
6.5k
2

Part 1 of the 4 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 01/21/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Notes from the Author:

This is my first time writing really anything, so please if you enjoy this or even if you don't please leave a comment to let me know how I can improve. Also, this is chapter 1 in a series of chapters. I don't know how many there will be as I have not written them yet. I will try to post more chapters soon.

Hope you enjoy this.

-Lovelyelephant28

Chapter 1

Sometimes I think about what people will say about me after I die. Will I be known for being kind? Adventurous? Smart? Or maybe, and I have a sneaky suspicion that perhaps I will not really be known for anything at all... perhaps my life thus far has been lived in the shadows, as a background character in my own life.

Looking at myself in the mirror. I am plain, nothing special. Lifeless brown hair in a generic mid length style. I run my hands along my curvy but not in the perfect proportions like Ashley Graham body.

I re-adjust my glasses pushing them up the bridge of my nose. I am average. My sense of style could use some serious revamp and my self confidence- ugh I do not even want my inner monologue to go there. I slip on a simple black trouser and a floral print button up, I pair my most basic look with a white cardigan. sigh guess this is as good as it will get.

I head towards the kitchen in my small but cozy apartment. My cat named Noble follows me like a shark circling prey, waiting for his breakfast. "MEOW!" he squeals. He is making sure I have not forgotten him. I shake my head and grab his food from the cupboard that he has aptly placed himself Infront of. I grab some overnight oats from the fridge and my lunch and prepare myself to head out. On my way out the door my phone buzzes

Sofia: Hey, what time will you be picking me up at?

Matilda: be there in 15 mins just dealing with Noble before I leave.

Sofia: OK, I'll have a coconut milk latte ready for you!

Ah, Sofia, my best friend since god knows when. Sofia lives about a 10-minute drive from my house and due to a couple of major speeding tickets and general poor driving ability requires rides to work everyday.

Thankfully, her and I both landed professor jobs at Boston University.

Sofia has her PhD in English Literature, do not ask me what she does because I have no idea. But I love her anyway.

My own PhD is in Chemistry. Today will be my first day teaching students, having started in the summer there were not any classes to teach. Today at 10am I will be teaching Organic Chemistry I (a freshman course). I was stoked! Not only was Organic Chemistry my favourite courses during my undergrade but it was also my focused subject during my PhD and is currently my area of research. My research for the next while will be in the field of organic electrochemistry and applications of nanomaterials in Organic chemistry.

I check my smart watch and realize that I have been too into my own head thinking about current academic papers and that I was going to be slightly past the 15minute window I had given Sofia. "Shit, Shit, Shit!" I grab my bag and my food and give Noble a pat on his soft grey head, he purrs. I slip on my comfortable and practical black flats. I zip out the door and head to my 2012 Hyundai Elantra (still have student loans to pay off) and head towards her apartment.

I admire the craziness and beauty that a large city like Boston has on my way. I turn on probably my favourite song of all time, no body no crime by Taylor Swift and Haim singing along I pump myself up letting all my nerves and excitement turn into self confidence. I tell myself "You, are a bad ass smart bitch and your students will respect you." Ah dreams.

I arrive at Sofia's and I can see she has a slightly pissed off look on her face, I smile sheepishly knowing that I am not in her good graces today. But I see she has my latte so it can't be all bad. She slips into my car and the car immediately smells like everything good, vanilla with a slight floral scent. She smells divine. Sofia also looks as chic as ever in a gorgeous white silk blouse paired with a stylish yet smart black and white printed blazer along with a high waisted pants of the same print clinched at her waist with a brown Gucci belt. Her hair a gorgeous and shiny Auburn colour was tied back in a perfectly done bun. She oozed sophistication and style.

"You're late." she says while shaking her head and tapping her watch.

"I was thinking about research papers and my class today, sorry." I tell her in a slightly ashamed tone.

"Ok, I forgive you. Now let's get going! I need to be there by 9am to prep for my class on Literature: The Classics." She demanded. And on we went the drive takes about 20 minutes during rush hour traffic, so we had some time to talk. This part of my day always calmed me down. On a day like today this was a much-needed drive.

Sofia told me about a new guy she started seeing. "His name is Lucas; he is tall like 6'5" tall. He is hot as well with ashy blond hair and ugh drool. I think I am in love." she swooningly tells me.

While doing this she pulls out her phone and shows me a picture. And I can't deny it he is perfection, damn. I need to get myself one of those. Unfortunately, my love life has been a sad miserable hole of emptiness. I've had my fair share of casual hookups for sure. But nothing ever really stuck. Now at 28 my prospects were becoming slimmer and slimmer. Honestly though I've never felt like I was missing something. I mean the past 10 years of my life have been devoted to getting my degrees and now with my first real job I am accomplished and am one of the youngest professors in the faculty of chemistry. A badge I wear with pride and honour. I sigh and tell Sofia how happy I am for her and if things become more serious, I would love to meet him.

We arrive at the faculty parking lot. I had negotiated a parking spot as part of my contract and with each passing day I am grateful. Once parked I give Sofia a hug and wish her luck on her first day teaching and she does the same for me handing me my latte, so I won't forget.

"Text me when you are done for the day and maybe we can do wine and pasta at my place tonight?" I ask.

"You bet! Love you girl, you will rock it!" she exclaimed.

We both head in opposite directions. I head towards my lab situated on the third floor of The Metcalf Science Center. Because I am brand new this year I am working under the guidance of a more senior professor with tenure. Dr. Frank White. He is a stern but kind man. With a full head of white hair and a complexion that has seen a little too much sun. Dr. White looks like your favourite grandfather. Frank took me and another young professor on this year to prepare for his retirement next year. The other young professor named Dr. Henry Marcus did his PhD at Stanford working under some of the top people in our field. He has a very impressive resume and unfortunately, he will be my competitor in getting a permanent spot in taking over Frank's lab. In every sense he is so much like me, but we also couldn't be more different.

During the summer two things have become clear to me about Henry:

1. I hate him

2. He is absolutely fucking gorgeous.