A Promise

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Watching Mike pull Summers out of the bar I had to smile. Randy Hixson, little guy that he is, was following and still yelling at Summers.

"Pretty slick idea Remy," Gary said as he handed me a beer. "What would you have done if it didn't work?"

Staring at Gary before I answered, I finally gave him a smile that didn't go to my eyes. "I would have done what was necessary to protect Ally. I think a little friendly persuasion would have made him see the error of his ways."

"So, you going back to Van Buren," he asked. "Or are you coming back to the real world?"

"I've got one more thing to do before I go back. I have to talk to Ally, and then it's back home for me."

"Good luck bud, you guys belong together."

It had been a little late after the confrontation at the Deuce so I waited until the next morning to call Ally. "It's over," I said after she answered the phone.

"Did you do something that's going to cause you trouble?"

"I wanted to but I didn't. "

"So what happened?"

"We went to the Double Deuce looking for Jake and Gary pointed him out. Remember Mike Adams? He was waiting outside with Randy Hixson, you know the guy from the convenience store. When we saw Jake, we called Mike to come in. Randy identified Jake as the guy that robbed the store and beat him up. Mike arrested him and I don't think Mr. Jake Summers will be a problem for a long time."

"Thank you Remy." After a few seconds she continued, "Can we get together and talk; maybe for lunch?"

What do we have to talk about I thought? Ally said it all when she divorced me. I was silent for what must have seemed like a long time. "I ....okay. How about Rigazzi's at one? I haven't had really good Italian food since I left the city."

Rigazzi's was a very old, family ran, Italian eatery; located in a huge cluster of Italian families know as The Hill. It was an area that the immigrants from Italy settled in when they came to America. Rigazzi's had been our favorite restaurant before the divorce.

********************

My timing must really be off, I thought as I sat anxiously at a table in Rigazzi's main dining room. I'm 20 minutes early again.

The room was wide open with an ornate carved wooden bar against the side wall. Behind the bar was an antique mirror, which had Rigazzi's name in actual gold leaf across the top. The room resembled what it was; a neighbor bar that families could come to for good food. Rigazzi's had bought and taken over the house next door for the added dining space there and on the second floor of both buildings.

I was watching the door and couldn't help but smile when Ally entered. The sunlight behind her blocked her features but I would recognize her even in bad lighting. Standing I held her chair when she got to the table. Sitting back down I motioned to the server and he brought two 24 oz. fish bowls of St. Louis's finest brew; Budweiser. The glasses had been in a freezer and had an ice layer surrounding them.

"You remembered," Ally said and smiled. "That's what we ordered every time we came into the restaurant."

"For a long time I didn't know they served anything else," I answered. The waiter came and we placed our orders.

"Remy, I would like to ...." Ally started.

"Let's wait until we're done with lunch." I suggested. It was a matter of not really wanting to hear what she had to say and I wanted to enjoy my Mostaccioli Special.

After we had eaten I said, "You called this meeting; you have the floor Ally," I was trying to interject some humor into a tense situation.

"When you move back to the city and resume your career what would you think of us getting back together?" Ally asked. She saw the shocked look on my face. "I apologize Remy I think, no I'm sure, I made a mistake in leaving you. You were doing what you thought was right for us. I'd like to give us another chance."

Before I could respond she continued. "I know you'd be putting in a lot of hours, just like before. I feel that the few hours I can get with you are better than getting nothing without you. I love you Remy and I'd like another chance."

I looked down at the table for a few seconds then replied. "I'm not coming back to St. Louis. I like my life down in Van Buren and don't want to leave it. After I got to Van Buren, I realized I was almost burned out. I like my more simple life. I'm gonna keep working construction: at least for now."

"I could live in Van Buren; it's a nice little town. Nice people," Ally replied.

"What would you do for work Ally"?

"They've got schools in Van Buren don't they? I have my state teaching certificate for classes through high school."

I tried to stop it but a smile crept across my face. "If you come down I would have to teach you to catch and clean fish, you know."

"I'd like that," Ally replied her head slightly tilted with a wide grin.

Not The End -- But A New Beginning