A Quiet Lady's Place 02: Anna

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

One day while they were tinkering with an air conditioner's blower fan, Josh said, "Susan Ann is really fast and I think she will do great on the track team. You and Mom have been so nice to us for the past two years, and I am so happy being able to help her."

Rick replied to him, "Alice and I were talking the other day that you and David seem just like our own sons, and we are so happy Anna Lee met you in the park."

Josh and David did not talk much about their families, so Rick and Alice chose not to pry into their lives. Anna Lee had learned that life with their parents had been difficult because of alcohol abuse, and the guys currently lived with their elderly Aunt who did not have much money. Both of them loved and respected their Aunt, but their real joy in life was visiting Anna Lee's house on weekends, especially learning about small engines from her dad.

The three good friends were so excited about starting tenth grade, since they would now be in the same high school. However problems quickly surfaced on the second day of school.

Anna Lee's classes seemed to self-segregate by color or race, therefore she was anxious for her late morning math class, so she could catch up with Josh and David. It was going to be real nice having her best friends in some classes. She rushed into the math class and immediately wondered why Josh and David were sitting alone way off to one side of the classroom.

Anyway, she headed straight over to them saying brightly "Hi Josh/David. It looks like this is our only morning class together?"

Her two friends smiled, saying, "We also closely checked our class schedule and it seems we just share one morning and one afternoon class."

The class bell rang before Anna Lee could answer and the teacher said, "Miss, please take your seat."

She answered him, "I am new here and my name is Anna Lee Wilson. I will sit here with my friends for the advanced math class. I read the syllabus last night after dinner, which appears to be designed for three person teams. I was searching for Josh and David earlier this morning, hoping we could partner together, since we are best friends."

"Did you talk with your folks about this?" asked the teacher.

Anna Lee, "Why would I ask my parents? They are not taking the class. Besides, during dinner last night, my dad said Josh seems to be an expert in the old style 2-stroke and 4-stroke engines. This seems to be an integral component of the syllabus projects, so it's natural for us to partner."

Within ten minutes of the class starting, it was readily apparent that Anna Lee was close to being a mathematical genius and, by far, smarter than the teacher. So she quickly became bored and stopped participating in the asinine discussions. Following the class, she grabbed Josh and David, suggesting they start a math study group because neither of them would learn anything in this classroom.

Early the next morning, Anna Lee was summoned to the principal's office, who said someone had complained about her acting ugly in the advanced math class!

Anna Lee's immediate response was to laugh, "How could I be ugly to someone in a class where I did not speak. I do not know why this class is rated advanced. Please review my Mathematical Formula Analysis report from last year just before my 14th birthday. My report was rated in the South Carolina's top ten for mathematical originality.

The principal responded, "We are waiting on your parents, since you are obviously hanging out with disruptive people." Now Anna Lee understood. She was being attacked because of Josh and David being black, who also had not bothered anyone.

It was not a good meeting, with Rick threatening to pull his daughter from the school for being harassed. Mom-Alice was quiet, thinking this move may have been a real mistake.

Anna Lee did stay in the high school while remaining fast friends with Josh and David. They were basically ostracized by 95% of the students, as well as many teachers. Rick and Alice profusely apologized to Anna Lee for moving to this area and ruining her life. She waved them off saying, "One day I will succeed with my dreams and take care of you and my sisters."

Since no one socialized with them, Anna Lee, Josh, and David's in-depth knowledge and understanding of advanced math exploded exponentially, although they often received poorer grades than their work deserved. They scoured libraries and the Web for new and innovative versions of mathematical formulas and ideas, as well as state-of-the-art engineering concepts. Anna Lee had them furiously investigate anything listed as being new or developmental in the engineering field. She was not specifically interested in engineering, but Anna Lee was gaining a massive volume of knowledge pushing the guys toward excellence.

These self-motivated study projects with Josh and David were a top priority for Anna Lee! She did not want to get pregnant in the back of some pickup truck or back yard party, and be forced to marry a future farmer or shopkeeper of America. Then ten years and four kids later looking around, wondering what happened to her dreams and life.

Anna Lee wanted to study at a good university, and then maybe work for a major international company, enjoying life before settling down with a husband and family. However, she was now totally stuck in neutral because of the unexpected racially oppressive situation in her high school.

In 2018, Anna Lee practically went ballistic about a new company, Extravagance LLC, opening in West Charleston, since they were supposedly a leader in high-level specialty engineering custom projects. She tried contacting them about possible internships for local high school students and did not receive any responses. Anna Lee followed up several times by phone and on the company's Webpage, but the managers seemed totally uninterested.

Josh and David were becoming a little depressed, thinking they would not be accepted at a good Engineering University because of their school's racism.

Eighteen months later, in the fall of their senior year, an excited Anna Lee chased Josh and David down, saying word was out that the Extravagance LLC Company was failing badly and may be shut down in a few months. As a last resort, they were sending some hotshot guy down from the NJ Corporate Headquarters to save the company.

"So?" both Josh and David groaned.

"So, we are getting in there to at least talk and show them what we have to offer!" yelled a frustrated Anna Lee.

She commenced calling every day. The receptionist refused to connect her to the GM or President. Anna Lee finally asked her dad to take them to the company, where they would try to talk with someone.

They arrived at 2:00 PM, figuring lunch breaks would be finished, with Josh joking "Hey, Dad, you should wait, 'cause we are getting quickly thrown out of there."

David thought this visit could get interesting, as he rested by his truck waiting for the kids. He knew his daughter well and she could sometimes be quite stubborn.

Anna Lee was bound and determined to talk with the President of this company. She opened the visitor's entrance door, strolled right up to the reception desk, and loudly yelled, "No wonder this place is crumbling. You did not have the decency to acknowledge or return our phone calls."

One stuffy looking older lady said, "I do not know who you are young girl, and am calling the police if you do not leave immediately."

Anna Lee's dad had come in shortly after them, a bit worried that the boys could be right about being thrown out, since Anna Lee had a bit of a temper.

He said, "Come on sweetie, and stop bothering these people. They obviously do not want to see you three."

Anna Lee shook him off continuing to speak loudly; "I am Anna Lee Wilson, and these are my best friends Josh Adams and David Turner. All we want is to interview with someone on possible internships, and you people have been ducking us for 18 months."

As she was speaking, three people emerged from an office to the left of reception, one being a very tall lady with a tan skin color, the second one a dark black fierce-looking slim woman, and finally a slender Asian guy.

The receptionist said, "Ma'am, I have called the police on these disruptive people and they should be here soon!"

"Cancel the call now!" ordered the tall woman.

The receptionist mumbled something under her breath while dialing the police.

Josh looked intently at the tall lady saying, "Miss, she called you an ugly name!" He then looked sideways at Anna Lee, who nodded her head.

"Name's Eva," said the tall lady. "What did she call me?"

Josh said, "Miss Eva, I had a nasty ear infection when I was ten and lost my hearing for nearly two years, which has now fully returned. However, I was forced to learn lip reading and American Sign for two years. After I could hear again, I continued studying American Sign and reading lips because I felt it could be helpful in my future.

"She said, 'I hate that giant bitch. Who does she think she is?''

The fierce-looking slim black lady walked right up to the receptionist and said, "You're fired and out the door in ten minutes."

The tall, tan-colored lady fully introduced herself, "I am Eva Jane McAdams, President of EXTV. She is Jodie Davis, EXTV's General Manager. Tony Chan is the Engineering Scientific Director.

"What do you want, Anna Lee?"

Anna Lee lays side-eyes on Josh, who gives her a folder, which she passes to Tony.

"Please read this report."

She turns to Eva, saying, "We want a chance to learn more about the engineering business on an internship and are willing to intern free for a one-month evaluation. We have been constantly discriminated against and stiffed on our high school grades because we are best friends. Josh and David are the two nicest guys I have ever met. They are intelligent, funny, courageous, trustworthy, and most importantly, totally respect me. My dad, Richard Wilson, who brought us here, is standing over there and will vouch for everything I said."

Eva was just getting ready to invite them to her office when Tony exclaimed, "Holy shit, this is your work, Josh?"

Josh turned, pointing at David, and said, "Our work together, but only because Anna Lee demands excellence in our math/engineering projects and pushes us to perfection. Our High School's advanced math teacher's concepts were outdated. Anna Lee started an independent study group for us investigating NEW mathematical and engineering theories."

Eva turned to Anna Lee's dad, "Mr. Wilson, rest assured, we will send Anna Lee, Josh, and David back home in a corporate Uber."

Anna Lee's dad smiled, giving her a thumbs up as he left while thanking Eva very much.

Eva invited Anna Lee, Josh, and David into her office, along with Jodie and Tony. She also asked a quiet-looking young lady named Jaime, "Please get Wanda for me."

Anna Lee quickly spoke up and said, "Ms. Eva, I truly apologize for the scene out front. I am certain that lady has stalled me on all of my many phone calls and possibly my emails." She opened her phone and gave it to Eva, saying, "That is a listing of every time I have phoned here for 18 months. No one had the decency to respond or give me a contact name."

"I have been scouring the Public Library's news, corporate tax records, and stock valuation section weekly since EXTV's opening was announced in 2018. Last week, I read the company was failing badly and could close in a few months. Also, that some hotshot guy from NJ ... Wait a sec, you are not a guy?" a stunned Anna Lee looked incredulously at Eva.

Eva smiled sweetly, "No, Anna Lee, I am not a hotshot guy!" She continued, saying, "It has been a very hectic day here, and none of us have eaten," as she waved Wanda in. "If you guys are also hungry, let's move this meeting into the conference room and order lunch."

Tony quickly spoke up, saying, "I need to take Josh and David into the engineering development lab for a few minutes. Maybe you can chat more with Anna Lee, and we meet in the conference room for lunch in forty minutes?"

Eva said, "Deal, and Wanda, we need three Non-Disclosure Agreements (NDAs) for our NEW interns to sign, as well as all the payroll stuff."

Wanda replied, "Um 'J', we have never had interns before, so what do I use?"

Eva said, "Use whatever you want for Anna Lee, Josh, and David. Just keep it legal. Can we afford $20USD/hour times three working twenty hours a week?"

Anna Lee said, "Wait, Ms. Eva 'J'. That's $4800USD/month for the three of us, which must be a mistake!"

Eva said, "No mistake Anna Lee. You will definitely earn it working for me!"

"So talk to me, Anna Lee," said Eva after the others left them.

"I want to start in the mailroom. You learn everything there is to know about the business working in the mailroom," Anna Lee said. She handed Eva her long-term analysis folder on the topic.

Eva's eyes opened wide in wonderment as she scanned the document. This early research study actually became the primary basis for Anna Lee's MBA thesis, "Women's Mailroom To The Boardroom Corridor Closed," courtesy of the World Wide Web.

PRESENT DAY:

One major new responsibility for Anna Lee was the final budget approval on EXTV's community-based activities, previously handled by Eva. Monitoring this project was an excellent fit for Anna Lee since she remained Eva's EA. They often worked together, both in the office and at Eva's home. Additionally, Eva was now Vice-Chair of the Corporate Non-Profit Foundation that provided EXTV some of the needed funds. It was quite telling that the previously almost bankrupt EXTV LLC now had both Eva and Anna Lee as board members of their giant Pharmaceutical Non-Profit Foundation.

Anna Lee quickly reviewed her company's local West Charleston external sponsorship activities calendar for 2026 and '27. She needed to estimate the time allotment required and the $USD she needed to budget for the next two years.

EXTV provided all of the direct funding for the WCCC Summer Splash event as sole sponsor for the second consecutive year, scheduled to start in two weeks. Understanding how this program functioned would be a good indoctrination for Anna Lee to learn the nuts and bolts of all EXTV's community support programs. She decided to review the entire Summer Splash operation would be her first priority as the new Marketing Director.

Anna Lee studied the specific details of each group participating in Summer Splash this year. She noted a Foster Home Care Service group from a small community west of Columbia, SC, had been tentatively allotted space for ten children. This group's facility was nearly a three-hour drive from Charleston, so it seemed odd for the WCCC to financially sponsor them since the Summer Splash operated as a day program.

Anna Lee paused, wondering how the various non-profit groups and private families applied for and/or were recruited to participate in Summer Splash. The Foster Home children certainly could not commute round-trip six hours daily. They would need local housing for two weeks, which was not included in this year's budget.

Anna Lee contacted WCCC First Lady Marion James, requesting a meeting with her on the currently scheduled two-week Summer Splash event hosted by the church. First Lady James offered to meet at EXTV because it had been nearly two years since her previous visit there.

Two days later, First Lady Marion James arrived at the EXTV reception area. She was greeted by a nice young woman. While welcoming Marion to EXTV, the young woman introduced herself as Jaime Lou West, the new Front Office Supervisor.

Jaime continued, "Mrs. James, please follow me to Anna Lee's office where she is waiting for you. Would you care for coffee, tea, juice, or a cold soft drink?"

Marion James responded, "I would love a cup of hot tea with lemon, please."

Jaime tapped on Anna Lee's open door and said, "Mrs. James is here, and I will bring her a hot tea, along with a cup of coffee for you. After your meeting ends, I will be happy to give Mrs. James a brief tour of our facility, highlighting some of the recent improvements."

Marion James and Anna Lee exchanged greetings. Marion said, "Anna Lee, you must call me Marion since we are now working together on the Summer Splash Event!"

Anna Lee replied, "It is just so difficult for me to call you Marion, with your being Pastor James's wife."

"Okay, let's make a deal. I am Marion when we are working alone, but you may use First Lady James when others are present if that is more comfortable."

Anna responded, "Okay, Marion, this is primarily a get-acquainted meeting. The external community support funding budget is now my responsibility as the new Director of Marketing and Customer Service."

Marion jumped up and warmly hugged Anna Lee. "I am so proud of you and will continually pray for your success. You have worked so hard improving your lot in life, as well as helping many other young people in our West Charleston community. Pastor James and I rejoice in Jesus' Blessing of our church with your graceful presence."

Furiously blushing, Anna Lee thanked Marion, explaining that she had reviewed the participants signed up for the upcoming WCCC Summer Splash. She noticed that a Foster Home Care Service Group from slightly west of Columbia was included. She wondered why they were attending since their small township was almost a three-hour drive from Charleston. Anna Lee knew this long-distance would require them to house the Columbia group's children in Charleston for two weeks. She asked, "Is the WCCC Organizing committee physically and/or financially prepared to accommodate the ten children?"

Marion answered, "No one else was serving this group who had a real need for someone to help their children with summer activities. We, at WCCC, immediately jumped in attempting to fill this void." She went on to say they still had not solved the logistics or financial issues for their ten children. On Wednesday, she would drive to their facility for a half-day site visit, inviting Anna Lee along.

Anna Lee stressed to Marion, "If you are comfortable with confirming the Columbia Foster Group's invitation after our visit, I can assure you I will find additional EXTV funding to help with these unbudgeted expenses such as accommodations, food, and other travel costs."

COLUMBIA-SC VISIT:

Anna Lee and Marion departed for Columbia early Wednesday morning, stopping once for a short break. They were somewhat disappointed with the Foster Group Home facility's appearance, which seemed a bit run-down and shabby. Nonetheless, they completed their review, confirming the number and ages of their children visiting Charleston for Summer Splash (S-Splash).

They met and greeted some of the ten children who would attend S-Splash in Charleston ten days from now. Anna Lee was a bit intrigued by a set of shy twin girls named Krista and Kara Wright, who were so cute while unusually quiet for four-year-olds. Eventually, they wandered over by Anna Lee and Marion, saying hello. Anna Lee and Marion returned the twins' smiles, giving them warm hugs.