A Second Chance

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Laura looked at me and gently took my hand and replied, "That is the most beautiful thing I've ever heard. You are just full of surprises, aren't you?"

"We never knew he had such a beautiful voice!" added Sheryl.

I just laughed and replied, "Me either!" I suddenly felt Laura squeeze my hand and as I looked at her I saw the same look on her face that Kate used to have right before she'd tell me she loved me. But in Laura's case, nothing was said and looking back; I should've known then that nothing would ever need to be said for me to understand what she meant. But at that time I was still unaware so, I just smiled back at her and said, "Now you know why I 'm here huh?"

Laura's eyes were dancing like candles and all she could say was, "Wow!"

We adjourned to the back of Mike's house that faced beach that was basically nothing more than a steel framed box that was covered with a glass roof and supported by glass walls with a lounge table and four lounge chairs. Where the room joined the house was a full wet bar and as we sat down and Mike was fixing our drinks; Laura looked at her watch and said "Tom, I'm gonna have to be getting back pretty soon!"

However; Mike being the type of person who didn't mind to butt into someone's personal business, grinned and blurted out, "Why? Do you have to be somewhere or are you just bored with our company?"

Laura shifted uncomfortably in her seat and replied, "Well, no, but, I just didn't want to over extend my welcome or impose on you guys!"

Mike laughed and, after setting our drinks on the table, he put his hand on my shoulder and, pointing at me, said, "It's like this Laura. You came with ugly here and that more or less makes you family. So don't ever think that you're gonna wear out your welcome here, okay? Besides; it's almost four o'clock and the traffic this time of day sucks, so stick around and enjoy yourself!"

Laura smiled warmly, then looked at me and said, "Okay, but under one condition!"

"Name it!" replied Mike, still grinning.

Laura sat up and replied, "Because I teach Contemporary American History, and because it appears to me that you two apparently were directly involved with ninety-eight percent of what I'm trying to teach; I'd like to ask you some questions about it, if that's alright?" Then she looked me directly in the eyes and added, "And I want the truth!"

I looked over at Mike and all he did was shrug his shoulders as if to say, "Don't ask me!" I finally relented and thought, "What the hell?" So I looked back at Laura and replied, "Alright! We'll do this but, you must understand that there are some things that neither Mike nor I will ever be able to talk about. Okay?"

Laura just smiled at me disarmingly and replied, "I'll tell you what, I'll ask the questions. Answer the ones that you can and don't worry about the ones you can't, okay?"

I looked over at Mike who nodded his approval and then back at Laura and, with a sigh, said, "Okay! You've got a deal!"

For the next three and a half hours; Laura bombarded us with a barrage of questions and when something came up that we couldn't talk about; she went on to something else, unmoved in her determination to find out all she could. It was apparent by the questions she was asking that she had truly put in many, many hours of study and forethought as well as research to have the knowledge she possessed. She insisted that we be as graphic as possible excluding nothing. It was then I discovered that she had a photographic memory and I was, once again, truly amazed at her brilliance. During the interview and every so often, she would glance at me and smile with her eyes blazing. By the time it was over, it was going on 8 pm and I was worn out mentally, but charged emotionally. I didn't realize it then but, that was when I first fell in love with Laura.

On the drive to take Laura back to her car on campus; I had put the top back up because there was a slight chill in the air. Laura put her hand on mine and said, "I wanted to thank you for today. I had a very nice time."

I smiled and replied "I'm glad you enjoyed it!" With her hand still resting on mine she said, "Ya know; you're a pretty amazing guy, Tom?"

"Nah, not really, I'm just someone who's trying to put his life back together!" I replied.

Then she leaned over closer to me and took me by the bicep and wrapped her arms around it and softly said, "I know! Sheryl told me that you'd lost your wife not too long ago and I just wanted to let you know that, I'm very sorry, and if you want someone to talk to; I'm here!"

"Thank you, I appreciate it!" I replied.

The rest of the ride was quiet as we listened to the music, each of us in our own thoughts. Laura remained wrapped around my arm throughout the rest of the ride back to her car. When I pulled into the parking lot, she directed me to her car. It was an Acura Legend that was somewhere between ten and fifteen years old. When I pulled up next to it; she leaned up and quickly but softly kissed me on the cheek.

"What was that for?" I asked.

She giggled then replied, "I was wrong about you Tom McNeal and that was my way of saying, I'm sorry!"

I grinned and said, "Well, in that case; apology accepted!"

Laura just shook her head, giggled then said "I guess I'll see you in class tomorrow?"

Yeah, I guess so!" I replied, not wanting her to go but knowing she had to.

"Okay then, have a good night!" Laura said.

Chapter Five

When I walked into Laura's class, the whole room fell silent as every eye of every student followed me to my seat. Shortly after I'd taken my seat, Laura walked in followed by the same girl I'd seen her with in Vincente's. She scanned the room with hardened features. When she saw me, her face softened but just slightly enough that I was the only one able to pick up on it. Then she addressed the class and said, "I have the results of your quiz from Monday. It looks like most of you read and absorbed the assigned material. Some of you didn't do so hot and I think you know who you are. You're smart enough to get into this University, so, I'm going to assume your progress will improve over time. But, don't take too long!" Then she came around to the front of her desk and leaned against it and said, "However, one of you scored perfect. Mr. McNeal, would you stand up please?" When she saw my face turn ashen, I saw her raise an eyebrow and then smile daringly at me.

Once I was standing up, and with all eyes on me, Laura said, "Ladies and Gentleman, through a little inquiry; it has come to my attention that we have a bona fide combat veteran among us. Mr. Tom McNeal is a retired Commander in the U.S. Navy and, as luck would have it; he is also a real live U.S. Navy SEAL and was one of the guys that fought and lived through almost everything we're studying this semester." The room began to echo with whispered oohs and aahs and at this point I couldn't recall ever being more nervous or embarrassed in my life and it felt like I'd just been stabbed in the ass. To drive the knife in deeper Laura grinned and added, "So, for the rest of the semester; Mr. McNeal is going to share some of his experiences with us. Mr. McNeal, would you please come to the front of the class?"

As I picked up my books and made my way to the front, the blonde girl that came in with Laura, began to pass out paperwork to the rest of the class, while Laura said, "This is my teaching assistant, and she is passing out your test results.

When I finally arrived to Laura's desk where she was now seated, I said, "May I talk to you privately, please?" Laura rose and led me into the hallway right outside the classroom doors. When the door closed I looked at her and asked, "What are you doing?"

Laura smiled at me and replied, "Well, seeing as how there's not much I can teach you, and they won't let me give you a C.L.E.P. exam, and, in order to earn the 'A' that I've already given you for this course; you're gonna help me teach these kids!"

"I can't do that! I don't have any teaching experience!" I explained.

She smiled at me and said, "Look Tom, I reviewed the textbook last night when I got home and I agree with you that it's Whitehouse polished Bull Shit! I want someone who knows the truth to tell it to these kids so they won't go blindly through life believing the same crap that I was fed. I'm asking for your help, are you up to it?"

I just laughed and said, "An 'A' huh?"

She smiled warmly and, smacking me on my waist near the top of my butt, said, "Yeah! Now go in there and amaze me even more than you already have, Commander!"

The minute I walked back into the classroom; a young lady in the back raised her hand. I acknowledged her and said, "Yes?"

She stood up and said, "I've heard that combat veterans have nightmares. Is that true?" I smiled and looked at Laura who just shrugged her shoulders." Suddenly I had an idea. I asked the girl what her major was and when she replied, "Psychology!"

I said, "Let me put it to you this way. I want each of you to close your eyes!" After I was certain that all eyes were closed, I said, "Now, I want you all to think about, in detail, the worst, most horrible experience you've ever had in your life!" I saw wrinkled and/or sad expressions throughout the room. Then I said, "Okay, that's enough!" When everyone had opened their eyes again I told them, "Now, I hope that whatever it was you thought about only happened to you once. But, I want you to try to imagine something like that, or maybe even worse, occurring on a daily basis for weeks, months or even years at a time!" Then looking back at the girl who'd asked the question to start with and said, "In answer to your question; yes, I, like all combat vets, have nightmares, but I think maybe you might be able to understand why now, huh?" I watched as more than several heads nodded in affirmation, which made me feel good.

Then a young man raised his hand and upon acknowledgement from me said, "I've always believed that there is no need for violence yet you represent the epitome of violence, and personally; I find killing to be a very heinous and senseless act regardless of the reasons for it. Furthermore sir; killing is a trained response and nothing else, and I find you and all people like you offensive!"

"Now wait a minute!" snapped Laura, as she stood to defend me. But before she could continue; I stopped her and smiled. She gave me a puzzling look and I raised my eyebrow at her.

Then I turned back and looked at the young man again and said, "So what you're saying is that you would never kill regardless of the circumstances, right?"

"That's right!" he said arrogantly.

I laughed and asked him, "Do you have any siblings?"

"Yes Sir, I have a younger sister!" he replied.

I turned, looked at Laura and winked, and then I turned back around and said, "Okay then, in that case; how old is she?"

"Thirteen, sir!" replied the young man.

Then I stood up and said, "Where is she right now?"

"Why does that matter?" he asked, defensively.

I looked at him menacingly and replied, "Because tonight I'm gonna come to her and beat and rape her and sodomize her. What do you think of that?"

The young man's face went beet red and he angrily replied, "No you won't either!"

"Why not?" I growled, baiting him.

"Because I'll blow your fucking head off before you get within a hundred yards of her, mother fucker!" exploded the young man.

"Oh, but I though you said you would never kill anyone?" I replied softly.

In uneducated defiance; the young man replied, "That's different and you know it!"

"It's no different so deal with it!" I said sharply.

Then the young man looked saddened at his own realization of self and replied, "But she's only thirteen, sir?"

I smiled, walked over to him then gently patted him on the shoulder and said, "Its okay, but this is what I'm trying to tell you. If the circumstance presents itself, we as humans will all kill to protect what we love and hold most dear. There's no denying what's in our nature!"

The rest of the class time ended up being a Q&A session and when there was only about fifteen minutes of class left; Laura stood up and interrupted saying, "Okay, we've got time for one more question and then class is dismissed!"

One young lady sitting in a group of five or six other young ladies, all of them very pretty, raised her hand and, after Laura acknowledged her, asked "Mr. McNeal how old are you?"

I laughed and replied, "First of all; my name is Tom and; I'll be forty one in just a few months"

Then the girl gave me a come hither look and said, "My name is Brittany Marks and I'm president of Kappa Delta and we think you rock!"

With that; the whole group she was sitting with stood up and yelled "KAPPA DELTA WOO-HOO!" making the class roll with laughter.

With a surprisingly loud and an almost jealous tone of voice; Laura hopped up and said, "That will be enough Miss Marks. This is not a frat party nor is it a sorority tea. You will keep comments like that to yourself henceforth. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes, ma'am!" the girl replied meekly.

"Okay, class is dismissed!" announced Laura, and then all of the students stood and slowly but steadily emptied the room.

After the last of the students had gone, all that remained were Laura, myself, and the blond haired girl I'd seen her with before we met. Laura motioned toward the girl and said, "Commander Tom McNeal, let me introduce you to my teaching assistant, Miss Zoë Daniels!"

Zoë smiled and extended her hand and said, "It's a real honor to meet you, Commander!"

As I shook her hand; I grinned and replied, "It's just plain old Tom and it's a pleasure to meet you too!"

Zoë just smiled and replied, "Thanks Tom! Laura's told me all about you and, because I'm a history major, I was wondering if maybe I could set an appointment to talk with you?"

I looked at Laura, who nodded her approval and then added, "Zoë's one of the brightest minds on campus and I think that would be a good idea Tom. Are you busy this afternoon?"

I shook my head and replied, "No! Why?"

Laura grinned and said, "Well, Zoë and I both are free and we were wondering if we could take you to lunch? Besides; it will give Zoë a chance to pick your brain. She's got a big paper coming up and, with your help; I think it will be one of her finest works yet!"

I grinned and said, "We're gonna study in a restaurant?" Laura and Zoë looked at one another, then at me and, in unison, replied, "Yeah, why not?"

I thought, "What the hell?" and said, "Because; you can't expect to be able to retain anything you've read with all the noise, so, how about if we go to my house instead and I'll make lunch for us all?"

"Where do you live?" asked Laura.

"Just a couple of miles down the beach from Mike and Sheryl!"

"You live in Malibu too?" asked Laura smiling.

"Guilty!" I said, grinning.

She and Zoë looked at one another excitedly, and then Laura said, "Give me your address and we'll be there in about an hour. Okay?"

"Okay!" I replied, then wrote my address and phone number on a slip of paper and handed it to Laura.

As she took the paper from my hand and read it; she looked up at me and smiled, then softly said, "I guess we'll see you soon!"

I drove fast and flew home to give me some time to have something that would be almost ready to eat when Laura and Zoë arrived. I opened the windows and let the Pacific air permeate the house. I went out onto the balcony and lit the grill. Then I changed into a pair of cut-off shorts and tee shirt and went to work on lunch in the kitchen. About forty minutes later; I heard Laura and Zoë pulling up in the driveway. I went and looked out the front window and they were getting out of what must've been Zoë's jeep I almost passed out at what I saw. Both Laura and Zoë were wearing cut off blue jeans with socks and sneakers and bikini tops. Their hair was held back by ball caps on their heads. I had always loved the sight of Kate when she dressed this way and the sight of these two lovelies only added to my passion for the fashion. I went to front door, opening it just as they were about to knock, and said "Good Afternoon Ladies! Please feel free to make yourselves at home!"

As they walked in; Laura looked at me and said, "I want to thank you Tom for doing this for Zoë!"

I winked and replied, "Think nothing of it, Laura!" She smiled as they walked by and I closed the door behind them.

I brought them into the house and sat them down. As Laura looked out the back glass windows at the ocean; sighed and said, "My God Tom! This is beautiful!"

"Thank you!" I replied, then I asked "Are we gonna eat first or study?"

"Eat!" said Laura and Zoë, in unison then giggled.

When I asked them what they would like to drink Laura asked, "What are you drinking, Tom?"

"I'm having Bordeaux!" I replied.

Laura smiled and said, "Then I'll have the same!"

And then right behind her Zoë giggled, "I'll second that!" I went to the kitchen and got two more wine glasses and filled them both.

As I was bringing them back into the living room; I said "Now this particular Bordeaux is a very potent wine. It's Chateau Lafitte Rothschild and it sneaks up on you very quickly so; consider yourselves forewarned!"

Laura grinned and as I handed the ladies their glasses; Zoë said "I'll only have half a glass because I've got to drive!"

"Good for you, Zoë!" I said, praising her for her good sense.

Laura agreed and said, "I told you she was brilliant! However; I'm not driving so, after we eat and if it's all right; I'm going to lie out on your deck and get some sun while you're talking to Zoë!"

"That's fine" I said blushing.

From the moment they arrived I'd been fighting tooth and nail to try to keep from staring at their breasts while they were wearing their bikini tops. It was even more difficult as we ate lunch, but I still stayed strong. While I was in the kitchen doing dishes, I heard the back sliding glass door open and as I looked out the kitchen window onto the deck; I saw Laura walk out. Gone were the cut-off jeans leaving her wearing only her bikini? She was looking at the ocean so I was looking at her profile. She was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen and to me she looked perfect. From the top of her head to the bottom of her feet was a line of beautifully defined femininity. Her skin was tanned and smooth and, her stomach was toned and flat. The swell of her breast brought out the tingle in my groin that had only recently come out of hiding. Her body had the look of being sculpted by God himself, I swear. As I was gazing out the window; I felt something soft and smooth on the back of my shoulders and a voice behind me seductively breathed, "She's beautiful, isn't she?", snapping me out of the trance I'd fallen into. I turned around and Zoë was pushing her almost bare breasts against me on purpose now, and making it very obvious.

I gently pulled her away from me and said, "I really wish you wouldn't do that!"

Zoë looked at me and smiled, and then she put on a tee shirt she'd brought with her and said, "Because you acted like you just did, especially after what I did; that shows me that you are genuine and a really nice man!" Then she asked, "Can we sit down? The reason that I wanted to make an appointment to talk to you has nothing to do with history. There's something I want to tell you Tom!"

"Of course," I replied.

Then I pulled out a chair for her at the table and as we sat down, Zoë said, "If Laura knew I was telling you what I'm about to tell you, she'd be real pissed. So I'm gonna count on your discretion, okay?"

"Okay!" I answered.

Then she took a deep breath and began, "I'm not just Laura's teaching assistant; I'm also her room mate. I'm one of her two best friends and we are all each other have. You see my parents were killed when I was a little girl and I was raised by an alcoholic Aunt who didn't give a shit about her own kids, much less me. Laura's parents died in an avalanche when she was still a baby and so she was raised by her grandparents who are both dead now. Now, the reason I'm telling you this is because ever since you brought her home the other night; all she can talk about is you. I guess what I'm trying to say is that; I don't want to see her hurt!"