A Second Chance Times Three

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Will you look at that" Doctor Sherman exclaimed, "he has calmed completely calmed down. This dog trusts you implicitly."

As I held him the assistant administered a sedative and the puppy soon fell asleep in my arms. Placing him on the stainless steel table, I once again left the room.

Twenty minutes later Doctor Sherman appeared and sat next to me. Opening the palm of his hand he said. "This is what we removed from his paw."

It was a one and a quarter inch long finishing nail.

"How in the Hell did he manage to do that to himself?" I questioned.

"He didn't," Doctor Sherman replied. "Some sadistic bastard did it to him. I've heard about this kind of thing but it is the first time I've witnessed it."

"These SOB's run dog fighting exhibitions and they incapacitate the bait dog. In this case, for whatever reason, they went too far and realized that the spectators would notice that everything was not on the up-and-up. So they decided to get rid of the dog. If you hadn't found him he would have died or had been crippled for the rest of his life. Because of you he got a second chance."

Glancing at his watch he announced, "he should be waking up in a few minutes and I think you should be there when he does so he doesn't panic."

Walking back into the examination room I looked at the puppy laying on the table with his right front paw heavily bandaged. It was at this moment that I realized that there was no way I was going to be able to leave this dog with someone else as I had planned.

As he slowly woke up from the anesthetic, he saw me and began wagging his tail. At that moment I was convinced I had made the right decision. He would stay with me.

Two hours later I was on my way home with my new buddy. Doctor Sherman had given me instructions on what and what not to do while the puppy recuperated. No long walks until the bandages came off. I was to take him to my vet for a check-up in four days.

"I don't have a vet . . . any recommendations." I asked.

Taking his card from his pocket he wrote something on the back.

"This is the best animal hospital in the area. Tell them I sent you and they will treat you right."

"Thanks, Doctor. I'll be sure to look them up. Now, how much do I owe you?"

"You're keeping him, right?"

"I can't give him up Doctor Sherman . . . I just can't."

"Well, just cover the cost of the anesthetic and we're good."

On the drive home I realized that my apartment complex did not accept pets of any kind. Well given the events of the last two days I needed a change of scenery and since my lease was up in ten days that didn't present any problem.

I called my mom and dad and explained the situation and asked if they would mind if I came home for a few weeks until I could make alternate living arrangement. They welcomed me and my new found friend with open arms.

Looking down at the puppy I began talking out loud to myself.

"Well if you are going to live with me I need to give you a proper name. I can't continue calling you 'pal' or 'buddy'."

"Doctor Sherman said you had been given a second chance. So I think I'll name you Second Chance. But I'm going to shorten it to Chance. What do you think about that?"

He looked up from his seat next to me, wagged his tail and placed his head across the center console in my lap.

"I'll take that as a 'yes'. Okay, then Chance it will be."

From that day onward Chance and I bonded. I found him very easy to train using both verbal and non-verbal commands.

He, in turn, was absolutely devoted to me and very, very protective. Whenever a stranger approached he would interpose himself between us until I gave him the command to stand down.

******************************

A few weeks after returning home dad informed that his great-uncle had died. I remembered him fondly.

Uncle Wolfgang had come to the United States shortly after World War Two. His wife and young son had been killed in the last few weeks of the war and had been buried in Germany.

He had never remarried, instead throwing himself into his career.

Mom told me a story about the first time I met him. I was just four years old. When I was born my mom and dad named me Frederick, after my dad, and Wolfgang after him.

It was a surprise birthday party his friends and employees had thrown for him. I marched up to him and said in a loud voice, "Happy Birfday, Unca Wolfie."

The guests held their collective breath, waiting for his famous temper to explode.

Instead, he knelt down in front of me, shaking my hand and replied, thank you Frederick Wolfgang. I am so very happy to finally meet you."

From that day forward my great great uncle became a close part of my family's life.

I was saddened by the news of his death, but not surprised as he was in his early 90's and for the past few years his health had been declining.

Dad told me that he wanted no funeral service or any type of memorial gathering. His body was to be cremated, returned to Germany and be buried with his wife and son.

About a week later my dad phoned me on my new cell phone while I was out walking Chance.

"Rick, you need to come home as soon as you can. There is an attorney here wanting to speak with us about Wolfgang's estate."

"His estate . . .?" I asked.

"Yeah. I don't know anything more about it. He just said he needed to speak with both of us."

When I arrived home mom met me outside the front door saying she would look after Chance while dad and I met with the attorney.

Walking into the living roomI was met by my father and an older man I judged to be in his late 60's. He introduced himself as Martin Simmons.

"I was Mr. Steiger's attorney for over forty years," he told us.

"For the past twenty-five ears I have never seen him happier. He was always talking about 'His Family'.

"You," nodding toward my father, "your wife and son made a huge difference in his life." He explained to dad.

Turning to me, he continued. "You became the grandson he never had in his life. From the first time he met you he became a changed man."

"Now upon his death I have been charged to execute his estate."

Handing each of us a document, he went over the particulars.

"You see from the document in your hands that Mr. Steiger was a very wealthy man. He has left a considerable amount of money to the charities and organizations you see in front of you. The remainder of the estate he has left to you both."

There is only one stipulation and that is you may not divulge the monetary amount to anyone."

He then handed a sheet of paper to dad and me. When I looked at it I was blown away. It was a lot of money . . . . . a whole lot of money. I would never have to worry about finding a job for the rest of my life.

******************************

With my new found wealth I soon located a house I felt comfortable in purchasing. It was a two story and had four bedrooms with two full bathrooms in a great neighborhood. The backyard backed up to a county park that included a two acre fenced area exclusively for dogs.

It soon became a daily ritual for me to take Chance for a walk, on his leash through the park. Then we would enter the gate to the dog park where I could unleash him to race around while I sat on a bench in the shade of a large oak tree.

He would race around chasing butterflies, which he never could catch, and explore all the smells and scents the two acres had to offer.

When he grew tired he would return to me and we would continue to the far side of the park. Across the street was a dog friendly pub where I soon became a regular patron. I had a reserved seat against the far wall. Chance would receive a bowl of fresh water and a couple of dog biscuits from the waitress while I ordered a beer and some lunch.

It was a Saturday afternoon about six weeks later and Chance and I were seated at our usual table. I had just ordered a beer and was looking over the menu when I happened to glance up toward the entrance. I saw Phil Collins and his wife, along with a younger woman that I did not recognize, walk into the dining area.

All of the tables were occupied so I stood up and caught Phil's attention. Gesturing to him I held up my right hand with three fingers extended and pointed down to my table.

When they walked over I asked if they would like to join me.

"We most certainly would," he replied. "This place is packed."

"Rick, what has it been? Almost a year since I last saw you. How are you getting along?"

Before I could answer he interrupted me. "You know my wife Barbara and this is her niece Emily Drake."

"Emily just recently moved here and is staying with us for awhile."

All during the introductions Chance had stood between me and the three of them. I gave him the non-verbal command to relax, that these were friends, and he resumed his position sitting next to me.

Just then the waitress appeared and took our lunch orders.

As soon as she left, Emily turned to me and said.

"What a beautiful dog. What is his name? How old is he?"

"His name is Chance and as near as I can figure he is about a year old or, maybe, a little younger."

"What an interesting name."

"Yeah, I shortened from Second Chance to just plain Chance."

I then proceeded to tell her, Barbara and Phil the entire story of how I came to acquire him.

When I got to the part to how the vet found the finishing nail in his paw, I glanced at Emily's face to see a look of first horror and then anger.

"How could anyone do that to a poor, sweet puppy," she whispered to herself.

Just as I finished explaining why I had to give up my apartment and move in with my mom and dad the waitress appeared with our lunch order.

The conversation then moved in another direction as we ate.

After lunch Phil asked me, "so what brings you here?"

"I walk Chance every day through the park in the morning, except Sundays. Sunday we go to my parent's house for the day."

After his walk we always end up here. I like the place, it's dog friendly, the food is good and the beer is cold."

After hearing about Barbara and Phil's retirement trips Chance announced in his unique way that it was time for us to go.

******************************

Monday morning found Chance and me on our customary walk in the park. When we arrived at the dog park I was surprised to see Emily standing at the gate.

"Good morning, Miss Drake."

"Please, it's Emily, Mr. Steiger," she replied.

"Okay. Since we are on a first name basis, my name is Rick."

I opened the gate and we walked into the enclosure. Removing his leash, Chance immediately raced off on his quest to find scents to smell and chase the butterflies.

As we stood there, Emily turned to me and said. "I had a puppy once. I named her Daisy. She was so warm and soft and she loved to snuggle up in my arms to sleep."

"I had dated a guy a few times. His name was Randall Cummings. After the third date he started asking me to do things I was not comfortable with doing."

"When he brought me home I decided to break it off with him. He didn't take it well. I stepped inside my apartment and closed the door in his face as he was loudly complaining."

"The next day, a Saturday, in the afternoon he showed up again pounding on my door. Leaving the security chain on I opened the door to tell him to leave me alone."

"He slammed into the door so hard it broke the security chain. Storming into my apartment he loudly proclaimed 'He would decide when to end our relationship'."

"Daisy was in my arms and when he approached me, in a threatening manner, she began barking at him. He snatched her from me and threw her against the wall so violently that her back was broken. She died instantly."

"I screamed at him and he started to punch me with his fists. He broke my nose, blackened both eyes and split my lower lip."

"I managed to break free from him and ran out the broken front door. He followed and pushed me onto the ground and began to kick me. He broke three of my ribs and I suffered some severe internal injuries."

"My neighbor must have called the police when she heard the commotion and when they arrived they witnessed him kicking me. He was arrested and taken away. The police called for emergency medical assistance. I spent five days in the hospital."

"He killed my sweet little puppy!" She exclaimed and began crying.

I did the only thing I could think of doing. I wrapped her up in my arms and pulled her against my chest while she sobbed. After a few minutes she regained her composure.

Grasping her hand I led her to the park bench in the shade of the oak tree. When we were seated she held my hand while continuing to tell me what had happened.

"When I was released from the hospital I attended his trial. He was charged with Domestic Battery and sentenced to one year in jail."

"One year for beating me and killing my puppy! ONE YEAR!"

"As he was being escorted from the courtroom he saw me and loudly proclaimed, in a threatening manner, that it wasn't over. He would 'visit' me again."

"The judge heard him and brought him back before the bench and sentenced Randall to an additional six months and granted me a permanent restraining order. He couldn't come within 500 feet of me, my home or place of employment."

"When he left the courtroom again he didn't say anything but he winked at me with a smirk on his face."

"I knew right then that it wasn't over. He would violate the restraining order and this time he would most likely kill me."

"I called my aunt and she told me to leave everything behind and move in with her and Uncle Phil."

"So I quit my job with the school system, sold my car, grabbed what few possessions I had and moved here."

Just then Chance trotted up with a large tree branch in his mouth. Dropping it at my feet, it was clear he wanted to play fetch. I threw it some thirty feet away and he chased it down to return. This time he dropped it front of Emily. She picked it up and threw it and he immediately retrieved the branch and brought it to me.

This went on back and forth between Emily and me throwing the branch for Chance to retrieve. By the time he grew tired of playing Emily was giggling and laughing with all thoughts of her sad tale forgotten for the moment.

Looking at my watch I turned to her and asked. "It's almost noon. Would you like to have lunch and something to drink with Chance and me at the 'Pub'? My treat."

"Yes. I'd love to if it is not too much trouble."

Extending my hand, she grasped it and didn't let go of it as we walked from the park to the 'Pub'.

After lunch I walked her to the car she had borrowed from her aunt. Turning to me, as I opened the car door for he and hugging me she said.

"Thank you for a wonderful morning and for lunch. Words cannot express how much I appreciate you listening to me. I am so sorry I broke down and let my emotions show."

Giving me a quick kiss she got in and drove off.

As Chance and I walked home I thought out loud to myself, "she is a girl I would really like to know better."

Walking along side of me, he looked up at me and I could have sworn he answered that he agreed with me.

******************************

On our walk Tuesday morning I was pleasantly surprised to find Emily waiting inside the fence of the Dog Park. From a bag she had in her hand she withdrew a rubber ball about as large as a softball.

"Now Chance do you want to chase after this instead of that grungy old stick?" She bounced the ball on the path and then threw it.

He sure did and we played fetch with the ball for the better part of an hour. When we were finished she put the ball back into the bag for me to take home.

Once again we visited the 'Pub' for a light lunch and after eating we just sat and talked before she left to return home.

On Wednesday she arrived carrying a picnic basket and a small cooler.

"I can't keep letting you buy lunch for me so I made a picnic for us. I hope you like cold fried chicken," she said.

"I do." She, also, had some home made potato salad. In the cooler she had two IPA beers.

After eating we just sat and talked for a little while before heading back toward her car.

While I carried the picnic basket in one hand and the cooler in the other Emily held Chance by his leash.

When we got to her car I placed the basket and cooler in the back seat before opening the driver's side door for her.

"Oh! I almost forgot, Uncle Phil wanted me to invite you to dinner on Friday at six. Will you be able to come?"

I replied that I would very much like to come and asked what I could bring.

"Just your appetite and please bring Chance with you."

"I won't be here tomorrow or Friday morning," she told me.

"Aunt Barbara and I have errands to run both days. But I am certainly looking forward to Friday evening."

******************************

Friday evening at five to six saw me knocking on Phil and Barbara's front door. In one hand I held a bottle of brandy for Phil and two bouquets of flowers. One for Barbara and one for Emily. Chance sat patiently by my side waiting for the door to be opened. I had already instructed him to be on his best behavior. The door opened almost immediately. Standing there was Emily with her aunt an uncle directly behind her.

"Come in . . . come in," they said in unison.

"Dinner is almost ready." Just let us put the flowers in some water." Both Barbara and Emily said, as they led me into the dining room.

Phil slapped me on my back as he thanked me for the brandy. "We'll have some directly after dinner."

After dinner was over, Phil led me onto the patio, carrying two glasses and the brandy.

After pouring each of us a healthy portion he turned to me and said.

"I had a curious phone call yesterday afternoon. It was the HR Director of DDRS. Seems like Turner did not work out as the director of the tech department. As a matter of fact both he and his uncle were arrested for theft of company funds."

"Seems like the tech department employees began complaining about the lack of equipment and supplies. Independent auditors were brought in and discover the two of them were stealing the funds allocated to the department."

"As far as I am concerned they got what they deserved."

"Yeah." Phil replied. "I understand that both he and his uncle were arrested three days ago."

"The HR Director has been trying to get in touch with you to offer the position. Seems like your landline has been disconnected and your cell phone number is no longer in service. They were wondering if I might have some way to get in touch with you."

"When I gave them the cell phone I had for you, they told me it was the same one they had."

"I hope I didn't go out of bounds but I told them that even if they managed to contact you I doubted you would accept their offer. I mentioned your concept of loyalty. That it was a two way street and when they reneged on giving you my old position I didn't think you would be interested in their offer."

"No. You were right. That ship sailed when they passed over me for that jerk Turner."

"The reason I gave up the landline when I moved and changed by cell phone provider and number after I began getting calls and text messages from Turner soon after I resigned," I explained.

"At first I just blocked his number but when I received a call from Mary Beth's number with the same crap I lost my temper. I threw the cell phone against the wall destroying it."

"Phil, if you give me your cell phone I'll put my new number into your contact list."

"So, Ralph was arrested for embezzlement from the company?"

"Yep! When some of the department's senior members began complaining about a lack of equipment and supplies it triggered an outside audit and they were caught.

Just then Emily and her aunt joined us on the patio and the subject was changed and the evening ended on a pleasant note.