A Second Chance Times Three

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

******************************

It was the Wednesday following dinner at Phil and Barbara's when I woke up to cloudy and overcast skies. A quick check on the Weather Channel showed a line of severe thunderstorms headed my way. The prediction was for the storms to pass through somewhere two and three in the afternoon.

"Well Chance it looks like we just might get our walk in before the nasty weather arrives. What do you say, let's get going."

We were well into our walk through the park and almost to the dog park when I heard the first rumblings of thunder in the distance.

"I think we better start on home, Chance, before the storm strikes."

Too late for that as the rain drops began falling.

"Hey, buddy, let's head over to the 'Pub' and wait out this rain shower."

When we got to the 'Pub' there was a sign on the door proclaiming they were closed for emergency repairs.

Looks like we are going to get pretty wet before we can get home, I thought to myself.

Then there was a flash of lightning followed by a loud crack of thunder.

Just then Emily showed up and said. "You can't walk home in this weather, Not only will you get soaking wet, you run the risk of being struck by lightning. Follow me to my car. It's right over here in the parking lot."

As the three of us raced to her car the heavens open up, soaking us with driving rain. Emily clicked her remote to unlock the car and I opened the rear door. Chance needed no coaxing, jumping into the backseat, as I quickly took my place in the front next to Emily.

Starting the car she headed to the exit and I began giving her directions to my home, as she had never been there.

"When you leave the parking lot turn right. Go to the second traffic light and turn right again."

I continued giving directions as the rain came down harder and harder making it difficult to see even with the windshield wipers on high speed. This coupled with the heavy wind, gusting to as much as 80 miles per hour made driving extremely difficult for Emily.

Finally, we arrived on my street. "First house on the right," I told her.

As she started up the driveway I retrieved my smart phone from my jacket pocket. After selecting the appropriate App, I tapped in the correct four digit passcode which turned off the alarm. Then from a list of options I selected the one I wanted and entered the same passcode causing the garage door to open. After we were safely inside I closed the garage door behind us and after letting Chance out from the backseat I opened Emily's door.

She was still seated and her entire body was trembling with both hands firmly clenching the steering wheel.

"Come inside with me, Emily. We have to get out of these wet clothes before we both catch pneumonia."

She reluctantly released the steering wheel and slid out from the driver's seat. As her feet touched the floor both of her knees buckled and she would have fallen had I not caught her.

By the time we entered the house she had somewhat recovered but was still shivering uncontrollably. Leaving her in the kitchen I went into my bedroom and retrieved a pair of warm-up pants and a matching sweat shirt both three times too large for her.

Returning to the kitchen I handed them to her saying, "Here go into the bathroom and change. The pants are way too big for you so tuck the shirt inside and pull the draw strings as tight as you can. Bring all of your wet clothes, including your underwear, for me to wash and dry."

I had no sooner placed her clothes into the washing machine when the electrical power to the house went out. Ten seconds later the emergency generator kicked in providing power everywhere except to the laundry room and outside irrigation pumps.

Walking back to Emily I explained what just happened and walked her into the living room and we took a seat in front of the gas fireplace which I lit with the remote.

I turned on the television hoping for some news about the storm. By now it was was just after five and the evening news was on. It appeared the storm was stronger than predicted and had spun off several tornadoes that did minimal damage with no loss of life. It did bring down several large trees and numerous power lines. The public was urged to stay inside at home until emergency crews could make things safe for driving.

"It appears you are here for the night, Emily," I told her.

"Oh, thank goodness. I was not relishing driving home in this weather. I was so scared driving here in this awful weather."

Getting up from my seat next to her I told her I was going to the kitchen to make us something to eat.

"May I help you," she asked.

"Nope. You stay her and keep warm. I'll be just a minute or two."

I returned ten minutes later carrying a tray with two bowls of steaming hot tomato soup and two grilled cheese sandwiches.

"Comfort food." I announced. "Anything special you would like to drink?"

"No. What ever you have," she replied.

I decided to make two mugs of Irish coffee.

When I handed one to her she took a sip and exclaimed . . . . "Oh! This is just perfect."

Sitting together in front of the fire, with Chance sleeping at our feet, the stress of the day soon caught up to us. I dozed off and when I awoke some time later I found Emily fast asleep snuggled up to me.

I carried her into the guest bedroom laid her on the bed, removed her shoes and threw a blanket over her. Kissing her lightly on her forehead I left the room, turning off the light.

Returning to my room I found Chance already curled up on the rug next to my bed fast asleep.

It was just after three-thirty in the morning when Chance woke me up when he heard the emergency generator stop when the power came back on. I went downstairs and re-started the washing machine and waited in the kitchen until it stopped and then placed her clothes into the dryer.

When they finished drying I took them out and folded them neatly with her panties and bra on top. Then I snuck quietly into her room and placed the folded clothes on the chair next to her bed and returning to my room I went back to bed and slept soundly until after nine in the morning.

I had just finished my second cup of coffee while watching the morning news broadcast when Emily entered the kitchen dressed in her freshly laundered clothes. She walked over to me, pulled me to my feet and gave me a long lingering kiss on my lips.

Pulling back from me she said. "Thank you for everything, last night especially," and kissed me again.

"How about some breakfast? I can make you bacon, eggs and toast." I offered.

"That sound great, but coffee first."

Just then the news broadcast resumed announcing the roads had been cleared and would re-open to the public in early afternoon.

"After we have breakfast can we go for a walk with Chance before I have to leave?"

******************************

From this day forward Emily and I were exclusive. Almost everywhere we went Chance went with us. On the few occasions we went someplace he couldn't, he stayed with my mom and dad or with Phil and Barbara.

In the first week of August Emily called me with exciting news. She had found a job teaching elementary school and would start the week before Labor Day.

I was happy for her but was somewhat saddened as we would miss our morning walks through the park. She soon found an apartment only a few blocks from the school. She would now be able to move from her aunt and uncle's home.

I offered to help her with the expenses, but she said she had enough in savings to cover the first and last month's rent as well as the security deposit.

"Since I will be able to walk back and forth to school I can postpone getting a car of my own for awhile," she told me.

When she started her job she was given a class of fourth graders, the same grade level she had previously taught. For the next few months everything was fine.

While Emily was at work Chance and I took our long morning walks. In the evening, after Emily got home, I would go over to her apartment, fix dinner for us and help her grade papers.

Then one afternoon in early November, as Chance and I were getting to ready to leave for Emily's apartment, I got a frantic phone call from her.

"Rick, I don't know how he found me, but he did. I was walking home from school, almost to my apartment, when I saw him in his car driving past. I don't know if he saw me or not. I ran inside and locked the door behind me."

"Good. Just stay inside and keep the door locked. I'll be there in a few minutes and let myself in withe the key you gave me," I told her.

"Damn!! Just as things were looking up for her that S.O.B., Randall Cummings shows up."

Five minutes later I let myself into Emily's apartment. I found her in the bedroom.

"Call 9-1-1 and report him in violation of the restraint order issued against him. Meanwhile stay hidden until the police arrive."

I had no sooner said that when there was the sound of someone pounding on the front door.

As I opened the door a man, I assumed was Randall Cummings, pushed past me demanding to know where Emily was and who the Hell was I?

Chance immediately went to protect me from him. Cummings produced a gun and threatened to kill him if I didn't lock him up.

Having no choice I took Chance over to a closet, opened the door and commanded him to "STAY". As he went into the closet I saw Emily huddled in the corner with her cell phone to her ear.

I quickly closed the door before Cummings could see her. As I was turning to confront him he hit me on my right temple with the gun he was holding and back handed me on my left temple, raking the gun across my forehead.

I was knocked down from the force of the blows, sitting on the floor with my back up against the sofa with blood streaming down into my eyes.

"Now, who are you and where is Emily?" He shouted.

"She is my fiancée. We are getting married the end of next month," I explained.

"NO!! You are not doing anything of the sort, you bastard. She belongs to ME!!" He screamed.

With that he shot me in my upper left shoulder and I passed out from the pain.

******************************

I was sitting on the floor of the closet, with Chance alongside me when we heard a gunshot.

There was nothing I could do to stop Rick's dog. He broke through the closet door and grabbed Randall by the wrist of the hand holding the gun.

I could see and hear everything through the open closet door. I actually heard his wrist snap as Chance's jaws clamped shut. Randall screamed and dropped the gun as he grabbed at his broken wrist.

Then Chance went over to Rick and lay across his lap protecting his upper body.

All the while this was happening I was telling the 9-1-1 operator what was going on.

"He just shot my boyfriend," I yelled into my cell phone.

"Stay where you are. Do not move. The police are just outside your apartment." I was instructed by the operator.

The next thing I knew, Randall had retrieved his gun, now holding it in his left hand. He screamed at Rick that now he was going to kill him and his God Damn dog.

As he began to raise the gun the front door to my apartment crashed open.

"POLICE!! POLICE!!

DROP YOUR WEAPON!!

PUT THE GUN ON THE FLOOR!!

DO IT NOW!!

Hearing that Randall spun around firing his gun wildly, hitting nothing.

The police officer fired back twice and he didn't miss, striking Randall dead center in his chest. Randall fell face down on the floor and didn't move.

The next thing I knew, three EMT's, one pushing a wheeled stretcher, rushed into the room. One of them stopped, rolled Randall onto his back and felt his neck for a pulse. Looking up at the other two he shook his head 'NO'. He then joined his colleagues at Rick's side.

I managed to pull Chance away from Rick. I believe he understood these men were there to help him, not hurt him. Chance was covered in blood . . . Rick's blood from when he was leaning against him trying to protect him from being shot again by Randall.

The three EMT's worked feverishly on Rick and managed to stabilize him enough to place him on the wheeled gurney.

"Where are you taking him?" I asked.

"The nearest Trauma Center is at Mercy Hospital," one answered as they rushed out.

Some how I managed to hold myself together before calling Rick's parents and when his dad answered I told him briefly what had happened and where they were taking him.

"His mom and I are leaving right now," he quickly answered.

"I have Chance with me," I replied. "I'll be there as soon as I can."

Then I called my aunt and uncle's home. Aunt Barbara answered and I recounted what had happened.

She said she and Uncle Phil would be at my apartment in ten minutes. Eight minutes later they showed up each in their own car.

"You're in no condition to drive," she told me. "Get in my car. I'll drive you to the hospital. Phil will stay with Chance."

She was right. I had been operating on an adrenaline high for the better part of the last two hours. It had kept me somewhat calm. Now I was crashing, emotionally and physically.

"So much blood . . . so much blood. Why? . . . Why? Oh God. Why did he have to get shot and hurt so badly?" I said aloud as my aunt drove to the hospital.

"Because he loves you. Rick truly loves you. You can see his face light up whenever he sees you. He would do anything to protect and keep you from being harmed." She answered.

"Oh! I love him so much. Please God don't let him die . . . please don't let him die." I cried and prayed.

Arriving at the hospital emergency room Aunt Barbara sent me in while she found a parking space.

With some trepidation I ran into the emergency room. The woman behind the desk was of no help when I inquired about Rick. All she would tell me was that he had been admitted.

Then I saw Rick's parents standing and talking to a man wearing regular clothes, not hospital scrubs. He handed a manila envelope to Rick's fatherAfter looking inside it he shook the man's hand and with a grim face turned to Rebecca, Rick's mother and embraced her.

At that moment I was so afraid that Rick had died I started crying again.

Rebecca turned, saw me and motioned me over to her. Grabbing me tightly she whispered in my ear. "He's alive. Still in surgery, but alive."

Then I lost all control of my emotions. Sobbing and shaking so badly that she had to grasp me to stop me from collapsing.

******************************

After I dropped Emily off at the emergency room entrance it seem to take forever to find a parking place. Finally I found one some distance from the entrance. Hurrying inside I saw Emily being held by Rebecca as she sobbed. Fearing the worst I rushed over to console my niece and Mrs. Steiger.

Just as I got to them Emily turned toward me and fell into my arms, "He's alive . . . He's alive."

******************************

As I stood there with my aunt and Mr. and Mrs. Steiger a doctor still wearing his scrubs approached us. Introducing himself as Doctor Stilwell he updated Rick's parents on his condition.

"He lost a considerable amount of blood from the wound to his shoulder but I was able to repair the damaged blood vessels as well as the surrounding soft tissue," he informed them.

"What about the wound to his head?" Mr. Steiger asked him.

"Well that's another story. It appears he was struck several times with a hard, blunt object. Wounds to the head and face bleed profusely giving the impression that they are much more serious."

"That being said," he continued, "I am more concerned about a possible fractured skull and brain damage. I'll know more after I get back the results of the CAT scan he is currently undergoing."

With that disquieting news he left saying, "I'll get back to you as soon as I get the results of the CAT scan."

We all just stood there without talking, each of us lost in our own thoughts.

Ten minutes passed before he returned with a big smile on his face.

"Good news. The scan showed no fracture to his skull. His EEG shows normal brain functions. But he does have a severe concession that we will be monitoring over the next several days."

"When can we see him?" Rick's dad asked.

"In about an hour. He is still in Recovery, waking up from the anesthesia. As soon as he comes around I'll notify you."

With a huge sigh of relief we were able to start talking with each other again.

Ten minutes later my aunt's cell phone rang. Removing it from her purse and looking at the display she announced. "It's Phil"

Answering it she listened for a moment before replying. "He's going to be okay."

Listening again she said. "Wait a second while I put you on speaker."

We heard Phil say. "Chance is okay. I took him to a vet to be checked out.. Unbelievably it was the same vet Rick uses for him. They recognized him and, more importantly, he recognized them. They checked him over carefully and found no injuries. I had them give him the full 'spa' treatment . . . a warm bath and had his nails clipped."

"

I am taking him home with me right now. I can tell he is agitated and worried about Rick."

"Thank you, Phil," Rick's dad said. "We appreciate everything you're doing."

Fifty minutes later Doctor Stilwell returned and told us Rick had been moved to a private room.

"He's still a little groggy so you can only stay for a few minutes and just two of you at a time."

Rick's mom and dad went in first and stayed for a few minutes. When they came Rebecca told me that Rick was still asleep. I went in and sat in a chair next to his bed.

His head was bandaged and his left arm was taped to the side of his chest. Holding his right hand I told him there was something I had to tell him before I left.

"Rick, I love you more than anything in the world."

Holding his hand I squeezed it gently and leaning over I kissed him lightly on his lips. His eyes blinked open momentarily before closing and he smiled before falling back asleep.

I kissed him once more and whispered in his ear just how much I loved him and would be back in the morning to see him.

As I, reluctantly, left his room I turned to look at him once more. He still had the smile on his face.

******************************

I woke up around seven in the morning to see a nurse recording my vital signs into her tablet.

"Good morning, Mr Steiger. How are you felling?"

"Well my head hurts, my shoulder aches and I'm hungry," I replied.

"I can't do anything about the first two of your complaints, but I certainly can address the third one," she said rolling the bedside table over to me.

Placing a covered tray on the table she removed the lid to reveal a plate of scrambled eggs, three slices of bacon and two pieces of butter toast.

"I'll bring you some hot coffee in just a moment," she said leaving the room

"Hey, how are you doing son?" My father asked, walking into my room.

"I'm feeling a lot better, dad," I responded. "Where is mom?"

"She downstairs, waiting for Emily to arrive."

"Dad, when I went over to Emily's apartment I had just come from the jewelry store. I bought a ring for her. I was planning on taking her out for dinner at a fancy restaurant and then a romantic stroll along the river before I asked her to marry me."

"I had the ring box in the pocket of my windbreaker . . ."

"You mean this ring box? Dad interrupted me, holding the ring box up and stepping over to hand it to me.

"They gave it to me along with your wallet, car keys and some other of your belongings."

Just then my mother and Emily entered the room.

Dad leaned over and whispered, "no time like the present to pop the question."

Taking my mom by the elbow he said, "I need some coffee. Walk down the hall with me to the vending machines."

Emily came over and sat in the chair by my bedside. "You are looking a whole lot better than yesterday."