A Simple Conversation

Story Info
One night changed everything for a mother and her son.
13.8k words
4.81
143.4k
351
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
scribbleskillz
scribbleskillz
2,060 Followers

Author's note

It's interesting what can happen in the span of a few hours with a few shared words. In this story, we will find how that applies to a mother and her son whose relationship changes within a single conversation.

If you have concerns over what content may be in a story, please read the story tags before proceeding. If a subject is not of interest, this may not be the story for you. For everyone else, I hope you enjoy.

As always, all characters are over the age of 18.

* * *

April 2003

Evelyn Harper wouldn't normally drink scotch, but tonight was an exception. The bottle, a single malt, was already set at the wet bar, accompanied by two simple lowball glasses. Ice was at the ready, though not required. It mellowed the experience, and something that she had learned was that even the most peaty spirits were best tackled in small sips. It let your palate adjust, slowly. Eventually it leads to a more pleasurable experience, but always best performed one sip at a time.

Looking around the room, her lips moved, speaking in less than a whisper as she inventoried the scene, taking stock of the cozy den. She would sit in the tufted chaise lounge, while he likely would reside on the armchair beside it. He would keep his drink in his left hand, closer to the coaster, which would keep his attention fixed on her. There was just something special about the way he looked at her that sent her heart fluttering and this should maximize that outcome.

As she walked about, she stopped for a moment at the bar catching her reflection in the wood-framed standing mirror. She smiled, noting the results of the last few days of pampering. Her blonde hair recently trimmed and styled to hang layered and just below her shoulders. The spa treatment had put her so at ease, skin still soft and tight, eyebrows expertly trimmed. She opted for a very light and natural approach to her makeup tonight and was pleased with the results. She looked regal, sophisticated, and dare she say; sexy.

Stepping back, she noted her attire, adjusting her pose to see herself from as many angles as possible. Her top fit perfectly, a white sleeveless button-up blouse, top two buttons undone. As she pushed out her chest, the buttons stressed to hold her bust, just barely hinting at the black bra beneath. As she looked lower, she focused on the black pencil skirt. It hugged her hips, the bottom hem sitting six inches above her knees. Turning around, she smiled seeing how it accentuated her backside. She smoothed out the pleating, picking a strand of lint off her rump before looking down to her feet where she wore two black pumps, or as she called it, her "lucky pair." Everything was perfect, and according to the grandfather clock in the corner, she still had ten minutes to spare.

Evelyn closed her eyes and took a deep breath, counting to twenty while inhaling and another twenty to let the air back out. Calm. Collected. She opened her eyes, slowly, making eye contact with her reflection in the mirror. The woman before her looked ready. With another deep breath, she nodded her head and relaxed.

A sudden yet soft tap on the window perked her ears. Driven by curiosity, she approached the diamond-grilled windows that overlooked the outside courtyard. The patio lights were still off, so there wasn't any motion. But what was that-

Another soft tap, this time right in front of her eyes. On the glass, perfectly between the diamond muntin bars was a single spec of water. Then another, and another. Within moments a soft pitter-patter could be heard as drops of rain began to sprinkle across the panes of glass.

What started as a light sprinkle quickly evolved into a downpour. Out in the streets, people ran down the sidewalk, some laughing, some grumbling as they passed the multiple stoops of the crowded brownstone townhouses. The few cars out on the narrow roadways found themselves navigating flooded streets and bike lanes due to the overwhelmed storm drains. Many failed to slow down or neglected it altogether, and sent large waves of water spraying on the bystanders that happened to be near.

"Come on, man!" Aiden yelled as he stood on the sidewalk watching the car continue on its path, seemingly oblivious or non-apologetic to the deluge it sprayed upon him.

It was insult added to injury. Already soaked, Aiden turned, adjusted his backpack on his shoulders, and carried his bicycle up the steps to a dark blue door.

"Mom! Hello!" he called out as he entered, dripping. Immediately he found a pile of towels in the entryway.

"Hi, Baby-Oh!" Evelyn said as she rounded the corner and caught sight of her son. "You're absolutely soaked! Aiden, the towels! Use them before you drip all over the hardwood."

"Thanks," he said as he picked up a rag and wiped his face, dropping his backpack by the door. "I'll need a few extra for my bike."

"Use those first. I'll get more."

Aiden cleaned off his bike and left it to lean in the entryway while his mother returned with another towel.

"You look like a drowned rat," she said with a smile. "That bad out there?"

"It's pretty gnarly. Sorry I'm late."

"You're fine," she said, waving it off with her hand. "I hardly noticed. You know, I would prefer you take a bus or taxi."

"Just trying to stay fit, Mom. Isn't a little exercise a good thing?"

"My love, you could miss a month at the gym and still be batting off the girls on campus, I'm sure. At least check the weather next time," she said. "Did you have dinner?"

"Yeah, I snagged something at the café before I took off."

"Good."

"You?"

"Had some leftovers from lunch with Tina."

Aiden toweled off his light brown hair leaving it wild and slightly shaggy.

"You ready?" he asked.

"I am, but you are not."

Aiden's brow furrowed.

"What? I totally am."

"Ha! The hell you are!" Evelyn laughed. "You are a mess. I'm not having you sit on my furniture like that. Go upstairs and get cleaned up."

"I didn't bring a change of clothes."

"Just grab something from your father's closet."

Aiden paused before responding.

"You still haven't got rid of them?"

Evelyn shook her head.

"Go," she said.

Taking a moment to look at his mother, he turned and walked up the stairs.

"Oh, and Aiden?" she called after him. He stopped halfway up. "You'll have to use my shower."

"What's wrong with the guest bath?"

"Plumbing's been making noises. I have someone coming out Monday to take a look."

"Okay. Thanks," he said, then turned and walked up the stairs.

Evelyn poured her first drink while listening to the sounds of the shower above her head. The solitude of the house now warmed by company, and her favorite company at that. Yet, the scene was still not quite right. Something was still missing. A grin spread across her face as her eyes settled on the old record player in the corner. Within moments the room was filled with the lightly crackling sound of a needle locked in the groove of a vinyl record and playing the smooth stylings of Ella Fitzgerald.

Drink in hand, Evelyn laid back on the chaise lounge, propping her head up on the armrest as she looked to the ceiling. Her mind's eye tracked to the spot where she suspected her son was just one floor up. She sang softly to herself, harmonizing perfectly to an improvised vocal solo.

When she heard the squeak of the shower stop, so did she. It was minutes away from game time.

Aiden's heavy footsteps announced his arrival as he walked down the stairs. His mother was already standing at the entry to the den, watching as he arrived. Her eyebrow twitched for a moment as this young man strode toward her. She had wondered what he would select from his father's wardrobe. He had chosen a set of tan slacks and a light blue button-up shirt. She was pleased to see they fit almost perfectly. The shirt was a little big, but he rolled the sleeves to fit his arms better. He had opted for bare feet, no shoes or socks. That part was interesting in its own regard. Perhaps he wasn't ready to walk in his father's shoes quite yet.

"Find everything alright?"

"Yeah. Thanks," he replied.

"Those look good on you. But your collar is not quite right," she said as she walked up into his space. As she had done a thousand times before, Evelyn reached around his neck and straightened the band and neckline of his shirt.

"You really should get yourself a girl to do this for you, you know."

"Working on that, Mom," he said.

"Good."

She tugged at the collar and flattened the creases across his chest.

"There. Much better." She beamed up at him with a warm smile, taking a moment to soak in her handsome son. "You really do have a lot of his features."

"I thought you got rid of his things already. Are we gonna talk about that?"

"Perhaps. Just not tonight."

"... Okay," Aiden replied.

"Come on."

Evelyn walked into the den and picked up her glass, then a second already filled with a generous pour. She reached out and offered the glass to her son as a deep roll of thunder reverberated through the house.

"Thank you," he said as he let his eyes fall to his mother. "You look great by the way. Absolutely stunning. Did you have already have plans tonight?"

"No," she said cheerfully. "Just wanted to look nice for you."

Aiden smiled and felt a slight warming of his cheeks. Evelyn noticed.

"Cheers," she said as they clinked their glasses. Her eyes never left him as they both sipped.

"Mmm," Aiden hummed and pulled back to look at the glass. "This one new?"

"No, not really," his mother replied, basking in the soft burn and notes of vanilla. "It was your father's favorite. I've grown to enjoy it myself."

She studied him a moment. "Do you not like it? I can get you something-"

"No, no, this is perfect. Thank you."

He took another sip and let the flavor splash across his pallet. Evelyn smiled.

"So," she said. "... what game shall it be tonight?"

"Whatever you'd like."

"You say that every week."

"So you should be used to it by now."

"Chess?" she inquired.

"Sure. It's been a while since you kicked my ass in that, so why not."

Evelyne smiled and turned to walk away.

"Take a seat. I'll get the board," she said looking over her shoulder.

Aiden couldn't help but notice the sway in her hips when she sauntered away.

He sat in the armchair and watched as his mother returned setting down a finely carved wooden box with a marbled chess board inlay. As Evelyn sat in the chaise lounge, mother and son pulled out two drawers hidden in the siding and began to remove the chess pieces from felt-lined cubbies. Both players set their figurines in their proper places until the board was prepped and ready.

Evelyn reached out and took a single pawn from each side; one black and one white.

"You ready?" she said as she put her hands behind her back and swapped the pieces.

Aiden nodded. She brought out both hands, each hiding a pawn curled up in her fist.

"You pick, my love."

He looked back and forth between the two, knowing well that a pawn was hidden in each. The only question was which one held which color. He tapped her right hand.

Aiden watched his mother smile as she turned her hand over and opened her fist to reveal... nothing.

"Mom..." Aiden groaned as he rolled his eyes. "We still doing this?"

"What?" Evelyn gasped and then looked at her empty palm. "That's so odd! I swore it was there a moment ago. Unless... wait. Don't move."

Her eyes fixed on something just over his shoulder.

"Mom, don't."

"No, wait a second. I think I..."

She reached out to her son, her hand disappearing behind his left ear.

"There it is!" Evelyn exclaimed as she pulled back and held a white pawn in her fingers.

"Ha-Ha, Mom. Very funny," Aiden said, voice rich with sarcasm.

"You used to love that trick," she said then set both pieces in their proper places on the board.

"Yeah, when I was like eight. And that was with a quarter which you always gave me," Aiden said as they both rotated the board; Aiden with the white pieces, while Evelyn had black.

"So? It's so much harder with chess pieces. Besides, what's wrong with a little sleight of hand?" she asked as she brought her feet up beneath her, ankles crossed as she leaned into the armrest.

"Nothing. Nothing. It's fine." Aiden moved a Pawn.

"Are you sure? I can still give you a quarter." Evelyn moved a Pawn.

"Yeah. Let's just play." Aiden moved another Pawn. "It's your move, Mom."

Evelyn moved her Queen.

"Checkmate," she said.

Aiden stared at the board.

"How..."

"The Queen has you in-"

"No I see that, but how did you do that so quickly?"

"I took the opportunity."

Aiden looked up at her as she leaned back, hiding her smile behind her glass.

"Should I have gone easier on you?" Evelyn asked.

"No, No. It's fine. I'm a little out of it, I guess."

"Or maybe it's because I'm that good." Evelyn rose and finished off her glass. "You up for another drink?"

Aiden downed the rest of his as well.

"Absolutely," he said smiling and handed her the empty glass, "But only one finger, please. I'm going to head home eventually."

"Oh, Honey. I don't think you should be riding your bike out there tonight. Why don't you spend the night?"

"I don't want to be a bother."

"You know very well that it wouldn't be the case," said Evelyn and she poured herself another two fingers, then the same for her son. "There are already fresh sheets in the guest room."

She walked back to Aiden and handed him the glass.

"Please, I insist."

Aiden sighed, accepting the alcohol.

"Okay, Mother."

"Mother? You make me sound so old, but thank you." They reset the pieces. "You want to go again?"

Aiden nodded and made his opening move.

Their game continued like this, void of conversation but still rich in atmosphere. The rain pummeled the world outside only to be muted into constant drumming against the windows and walls. The great clock in the hall continued to slowly tick with a melodic chime every fifteen minutes, all while their pieces clicked and clacked on the board as the players moved them into varying positions of attack and defense. Neither Evelyn nor Aiden was aware the record singing in the corner had long since stopped.

"Were you always good at chess?" Aiden asked.

"Not at first. I played a lot with your grandfather."

"Really? Grandpa? He was always so serious. I never thought he'd be into games."

"Everything's a game," Evelyn said as she moved a piece.

Aiden took a moment while staring at the board in contemplation.

"I want to ask you a question," Evelyn began, "But I'm worried it would be too motherly of me to do so."

Aiden chuckled.

"What's up?"

"I noticed that for the last few weeks, you haven't brought up anything about that girl you had been seeing... Jennifer?"

"Jessica."

"Right. Jessica. So is everything still..."

"We're not seeing each other anymore."

"Oh. You seemed enamored with her. What brought that on?"

"Yeah, I liked her. Of course I did, but we both needed to focus on other things." Aiden took out her Bishop with a Rook. "Check."

"You haven't said anything about that before." Evelyn moved her King.

"Yeah, sorry about that," he took a deep breath and advanced his Queen. "It's just between school and work and... other things, we didn't get much time together."

"Other things?" Evelyn moved a Knight.

"... It's complicated, Mom." Aiden moved his Queen again. "Check."

Evelyn moved a Bishop to block the attack.

"Was there another woman?" she asked.

"No, Mom. Not really," he said as he moved his Queen to take the Bishop. "Check."

"Not really? That is a loaded response."

"We don't have to talk about it."

"I know, but I want to. I'd like to know a little more about what's going on with you. It's the least I can do for you after how much you have been there for me since the accident."

"Mom, seriously, it was nothing."

"No, it was everything. You were here anytime and every time I needed you to be. It's been difficult since he passed and without you, I don't know how I would have managed..."

Her voice trailed off as she slowly cocked her head to the side in thought.

"... Aiden, was it me?" she asked her son.

"What?"

"Earlier, you said you couldn't commit because of work, school, and other things. Was it me? Am I the other things?"

"Mom..."

"Aiden?"

He leaned forward and took a deep breath.

"... In a way, yes."

Evelyne leaned back, her eyes never leaving his face. He continued.

"She was concerned with how much time I was spending here. Spending with you."

"She was concerned?"

"Yeah."

"Really?" she asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Yeah."

"Was she jealous?"

"Maybe," Aiden shrugged.

"But what do you think?"

"... Probably."

"Oh," she said, then tried miserably to hide her smile.

"What?"

"Nothing, just... It sounds to me like there was another woman."

"Who?"

"Me." She held her chin up high, as playfully smug as she could manage.

"Jeez, Mom," he said while trying his best to hold back his smile. It was a battle he lost. "I don't know any other mother who would get as much excitement over finding out her son was dumped because of her."

"I'm sorry. I've just never been the other woman before and I want to bask in the moment a little."

Aiden rolled his eyes and let out an audible laugh. Evelyn giggled.

"Alright, alright. Take all the time you need," he said. "But at some point, can we get back to the game?"

"Of course," she replied. "Whose turn is it?"

"Actually, yours. I believe I have you in check."

This time it was Aiden's turn to be smug.

Evelyn took his Queen with her Knight. His confidence immediately waned.

"Shit," Aiden muttered. He leaned back as his eyes darted across the board. "You totally lead me into that, didn't you?"

"Language, sweetheart," Evelyn said as she leaned back, crossing her legs and smiling. "And I did indeed."

He looked at the board. "You... have me locked in."

"I do."

"How many moves?"

"I'll have you mated in six."

Aiden scanned the board trying to see her plan.

"How?"

"Baby, it was over once you lost your Queen."

"Yeah, I see that's a problem, but..."

"Go ahead. Play it out."

Aiden squinted, searching her eyes for any sign. Evelyn gave none. He returned his attention to the board, hand hovering over the pieces. He moved his Rook, taking out her Knight.

Evelyn moved a Pawn, opening a direct line of attack for her Queen to his King.

"Check," she said.

"Fuck," he mumbled, then quickly cast his eyes up to his mother hoping she hadn't caught his burst. She wagged her finger at him as she sipped.

He moved his King out of her way.

Evelyn advanced her Queen again, chasing his royal piece.

"Check."

Aiden reached to move, then hesitated. His King was cornered. The few moves it could make would only place it in check. His only options then were to either block the Queen or take her out and he had no pieces in place for the latter. His rook was the only piece available to block. Yet once that was done, there was nothing to stop her from taking that piece as well and locking him into checkmate. It was inevitable. She had already won.

Suddenly the room filled with a bright flash of light and a deafening boom of thunder, then their world was plunged into darkness.

"Mom?"

"Well, there goes the power," Evelyn's voice said in the pitch black.

"One second, I got something..."

A moment later there was a spark of light, then another, then finally a small flame shone from Aiden's small zippo lighter.

"There we go," he said as the two of them were bathed in a soft orange glow.

"Aiden Joseph Harper, tell me you haven't been smoking again."

scribbleskillz
scribbleskillz
2,060 Followers