A Simple Life Ch. 50-59

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I liked her. I liked her so much. I might even love her. There was nothing about her that wasn't absolutely perfect. The only woman I had even heard about that might rival her perfection was my grandma. Oh how I wished I could go talk to Grandpa right now and tell him everything. Well...not quite everything. Just the important stuff. But I knew he was up late last night at a party and I didn't want to wake him. I would talk to him first thing after work. My big date aside I desperately wanted to see him again. I had to go see him every chance that I could...because soon those chances would be gone forever. And with that thought comes the first dark cloud to my sunny mood. My now misty eyes drift from the mountainous island interior toward the port at the peninsula's tip. How could life be so kind and so cruel all at the same time? How could it offer me something so wonderful as my night with Winona with one hand while taking my Grandpa away with the other? Why did life have to be so hard? I sigh. But whoever said life would be simple?

After a deep breath I focus again on the good feelings still filling my sails from my first date with Winona and daydream about what the second one would bring. I'm not sure how long I sit out, long enough for my half drank tea to turn stone cold, but when I come back in Brayden was sitting up.

"Good m-morning Brayden."

"Yeah." He grunts.

"Would you like some t-tea? I have a pot made."

"Nah." He rubs his eyes, picks his nose, and scratches his balls in that order and all with the same hand. "I gotta get lookin for a job."

"Oh!" I say, hope blooming. "I saw a help wanted sign at the..."

"Hey." He cuts me off and points. "You didn't come home last night."

Instead of answering I just sit with a tight lipped grin and blush.

"Eyyy! Avie!"

"What?"

"AVIEEE!"

I giggle. "I-I-It was late and we h-had some wine. Winona didn't want to d-drive."

"You smashed her!" He claps then pumps a fist. "Fuckin A dude!"

"It w-wasn't like that." I say. "She's not that k-kind of girl."

"Yeah right. ALL girls are that kind of girl dude. Don't let them fool you, they want it as much as we do." He gets up and comes over to clap my shoulder with his nut scratching hand as he scratches his ass with the other. "I don't get how the hell you get more pussy than I do. It's because I won't simp for them I think." He stretches, scratches his hairy belly, then stumbles toward the kitchen in search of breakfast. "Women can't handle a man who thinks for himself." He punctuates the point with a rip-roaring fart.

"You're probably r-right."

"Wanna pick up more cereal when you're at work."

"Sure Brayden."

"Well she's sure not my type but hey, whatever gets ya off man." He rummages through the cupboard. "If you want to put a good word in for me with Kayla though...fuck yes!"

I ignore the comment knowing damn well Kayla wouldn't touch Brayden even in a hazmat suit. She might be 'Kinky Kayla' with an ever growing list of lovers, with one more now that Briar was quite possibly among our rank, but she had high standards. If she couldn't be your friend she definitely wouldn't share her bed.

"Ahem, um, I saw a help w-wanted sign at that shoe store beside the pet shop."

"Shoe store? I don't want to be smelling nasty feet all day."

"Oh."

After a moment he pulls down a pack of ramen and tears it open. "I might check it out. If nothing else hits."

I smile. "You'll find something Brayden. Just b-believe in yourself."

"Pff, right." He dumps the noodles and spices in a pot and fills it with water. "You think Winona and her Dad are looking for someone? I can turn a wrench or whatever."

"What? I thought you h-hated them."

"I don't HATE them."

"Y-Y-You said they r-ripped you off."

"They did! They're crooks." He says. "But they're honest crooks."

I shake my head. "I'd p-probably stick to the shoe store."

"Damn Avie, help a bro out here would ya?" Opening the fridge he peers inside. "We need some Sriracha too."

"I'll get some."

I sit with him as he slurps down his breakfast doing what I can to encourage his job search. I did not want the awkwardness and financial hit of Brayden coming up short when the bills were due, again. Despite initially blowing it off he seemed to be warming to the shoe store idea and the pair of us talk about what a job their might entail, him arguing the cons and me promoting the pros, and by the end the pros had won him over. It was going to be the first place he hit today.

"I think the Nguyen's own that store." He says as he heads off to make himself presentable.

"Yep." I say. "With Jeannie off to m-med school they're probably looking for someone to take her spot."

"Jeannie was cool." He says. "Hmm. I served them coffee a few times. They always left a tip. Maybe they remember me."

"Er, maybe."

"I'll use that. To break the ice."

"Sure B-Brayden." I say positively, not wanting to bring him down. "Good idea."

The buzzer goes off announcing somebody at the down stairs door. Maybe it was Winona!

I leap from my chair. "I-I got it!" Hurrying to the intercom I press the button and say in a cheery sing-song voice. "Who is iiiit?"

My heart falls as the familiar voice on the other end sings back mockingly. "It's Jaaaack." The mock cheeriness then cuts off sharply. "Open the door dummy."

***

Chapter 53

With dread in my heart I stand near the apartment door and await my big brother Jack. I hoped that he was here to talk to Brayden but something inside of me told me that I wasn't going to be so lucky. As I hear the heavy footfalls approach our door I prepare myself as best I can.

There are two rapid knocks followed by the door swinging open. Standing at our door I am surprised to see not just Jack but his wife as well.

"L-Lauren!" I say, genuinely pleased to see her. "Jack. Wh-What do I owe the p-pleasure?"

"Hello Avery." Lauren says in the one of a kind husky and sultry voice of hers. She steps in and we give each other a friendly hug of greeting. "Been awhile."

"Y-Yeah. I've been b-busy."

"I bet you have." With a strange scowl Jack walks past us, swinging the door closed behind him. "Hey Pussy."

"Hi J-Jack."

"Ya home Bray?"

My roomie sticks his head out of from the washroom, his toothbrush sticking out of his foamy mouth. "Hey dude."

"Whatcha up to. The boys are going to shoot some pool. We're gonna tie one on."

He ducks back in and spits. "Not me man. I am BROKE!"

"Ha! You're always broke."

As they banter I lead Lauren to the table. "Do you want a tea or something?"

"No. We won't be long." She says as she takes a seat. "I was hoping to see you at the party last night."

"Yeah. S-Sorry." I say. "I had a d-d-date and a party at Kayla's."

"And how is Kayla?" Lauren asks. "I haven't seen her in awhile."

"She's good."

"So you two are giving it another go? Or is it just another friends with benefits thing?"

"Oh no." I say. "Sh-She wasn't my date."

"Oh!" Lauren sits up with a bright smile. Leaning across the table she says. "Do tell."

Just then though Jack and Brayden's conversation had caught my ear.

"Who the hell job hunts on a Saturday?" Jack scoffs. "And why the hell do you wanna sell shoes anyway?"

"What's wrong with selling shoes?" Brayden says.

"You need to get a real job."

"Th-That is a r-real job." I say in defense of my roomie. We had JUST overcome Brayden's natural inertia and now here comes my brother to put another hurdle in his way. "A g-good job too."

"Says the fuckin grocery bagger."

"I'm a c-clerk."

"Ooooo!" He waves his hands. "Excuse me, clerk. Still a loser job." He looks at Brayden. "Come on man. Come out with us. Be like the old days."

"Well...maybe."

I sigh and abandon the fight. There was no point going against Jack. I don't even know why I try. Quietly Lauren reaches across the table and pats my hand, perhaps understanding right where I'm coming from. She had to live with my overbearing older brother after all. Lauren was so nice. I couldn't understand what she saw in my jerk brother.

"Your date?" She asks.

"Ha! He went out with Winona." Brayden cuts in. "Winona Crow. That big mechanic chick."

"Woof! Woof!" Jack laughs. "Dogface Winona."

I scowl at my brother, seething on the inside. He sees me and smiles a big mocking smile. We both knew there wasn't one thing I could do to him that wouldn't be repaid a hundred times worse.

"Don't mind him." Lauren says softly. "Did you have a good time Avery."

I turn to her and try to block Jack out. "I had a g-great time. She's r-r-really nice."

"That's wonderful." She says. "You'll have to bring her over sometime. I'd love to meet her."

"Yeah." I mutter half-heartedly.

"Yeah right." Jack says. "Little pussy boy here never comes to see his family. Too good for us or something."

"I'm n-not."

"I do wish you would have been there last night." Lauren smiles. "It was kinda important this time."

"Oh?"

"Brayden didn't tell you?"

"T-Tell me?" I look to my shirtless roomie who just shrugs.

"The big news." Lauren gives Brayden a look.

"News?" He says. "Uhhh..."

"Oh my God, Brayden!" She laughs. Looking back to me she says. "You're going to be an uncle Avery."

"I'm going..." I gasp. "No! You?"

She nods. "Thirteen weeks."

"Oh! Ohhh!" I leap up to run around the table to give her another hug. "Congratulations!"

"Thank you." She hugs me back. "We found out a bit ago but waited until last night to tell everyone."

"Everyone was SUPPOSED to be there." Jack says walking up to me. "Everyone but you showed. Afraid to come around or something?"

I offer my hand and he shakes it in a too hard grip. "C-C-Congratulations Jack."

"Real happy news, huh?"

"Y-Yeah! The happiest."

"You were the only one missing." He says, his eyes glaring straight into mine. "Ya kinda let us down there Avie."

"B-B-But...Grandpa wasn't..."

"I don't want that old weirdo embarrassing us. I meant everyone else."

"I-I'm sorry."

"It's okay." Lauren says. "At least I know it was for a good reason. Don't worry Avery. We're going to tell Micheal right after this."

"God damn it." Jack huffs.

"He should hear it from us. This is important." Lauren insists. "Anyway, we thought Brayden would have spilled the beans to you for sure. The real reason we came by was to ask your blessing to use your name."

"M-M-My name?"

"Mmm." Lauren nods. "We won't know it's sex for a couple of weeks but we're already talking. We were thinking, if it's a girl, Avery would be a really pretty middle name. Would that be okay?"

"Uh! Buh! WHA!? Of course!" I say. "Oh my g-g-goodness!"

"I hope she d-d-doesn't talk like her n-n-namesake." Jack quips to nobody's laughter. He slaps my shoulder. "Only if it's a girl though. It'll be Joshua if it's a boy."

"I'm honored. Really. Oh my g-goodness."

"Thank you." Lauren rises. "I really hate to cut this short but we've got a few more stops to make before he ditches me for his precious boys."

"Bros before hoes." Brayden pipes up from the washroom.

Lauren rolls her eyes. We hug one last time. "Take care of yourself Avery. And hey, don't be a stranger. Okay?"

"O-O-Okay." I say. "Y-You'll let me kn-know when the b-baby shower is?"

"Of course."

"I am so happy for you b-both."

"Thank you Avery. That means a lot."

As she heads toward the door Jack says. "I'll be down in a minute babe."

She stops and shoots me a worried glance. "Come on Jack. We should go."

"Just be a minute. I want to talk to my brother about something."

"Jack..."

"I said..." His voice goes as hard as steel. My blood turns cold as I knew that tone too well. "...I'll be down in a minute. Wait for me in the car."

She stands a moment then nods. "Yes dear."

Lauren takes her leave and lets herself out. Facing my brother I wait and wonder what the heck was going on inside of that thick cranium of his.

Whap!

The very next moment I am on the floor with a chair on top of me and the dining room table knocked over at my side and all of its contents spilled over me and my work clothes. My eyes were starry and my cheek glowed with a sharp sting.

"Jesus!" Brayden comes out of the washroom. "Fuck dude! What the hell?"

"You stay the fuck out of this stoner." Jack barks. He points at me. "Get up. Get the fuck up you little pussy."

I push the chair off and sit up, stunned and confused. Holding my hurting face I am struggling really hard not to cry. "Owww. WHY!?"

He steps in and grabs me by the shirt. He hauls me to my feet and stands me in front of him. I hold my hands out in a feeble attempt to fend off another blow. I flinch as he stabs a finger into my chest.

"Are you and Lauren fucking around?"

"What!?"

Whap!

I stagger to the right, my shoulder hitting the sliding door of the balcony nearly hard enough to shatter it.

"Mmmm! Stop!" I plead, shielding the throbbing left side of my face with both hands. My left ear is ringing and I could taste iron. My face hurt real bad. "Ow."

"Stop fuckin sniveling and don't play stupid!"

"Dude, stop it!"

"I said stay out of this Bray!" He pulls me back in front of him. To my great shame I whimper and recoil in terror. "I kept wondering, why the fuck does she want Avery as a middle name? Why you of everyone in the family? My pussy little loser brother? She wanted it for a boy too ya know, until I put my foot down and said that's a sissy name. Then I put it together. I've been thinkin something was goin on for awhile now but I just didn't know who. And then it hit me on the way here. You and her. Her and you. It hit me like a bolt of lightning."

Thup! To emphasize his point he doubles me over with thunderous punch into my gut.

"GHHHH!"

The only reason I don't fall was that he continued to hold me up by the shirt. I feel a few buttons pop as I slump there gulping frantically for breath. "I KNOW that she's fucking around on me. I don't have proof. But I know. I'm not stupid Avery. She's always on my ass about getting you over for things and including you in things. You're always avoiding me. Then you try to take a pop at me yesterday? You never do that. Why you actin that way now? Huh? That's what really put it all together. And Bray tells me you're gone all the time, zipping all around the island with nobody else around. All by yourself. It'd be REAL easy for you to slide on by when I'm at work, eh? You slimy little fucking bitch!"

"You're c-c-c-crazy!" I whine.

"You wanna take another pop? Come on then. Let's go. Let's fucking go Avie."

"Nooo! L-Leave me alone!"

"That black slut best friend of yours has your head filled with all that free love and no strings attached bullshit. But you fucked with the wrong woman this time Avery. Lauren is MINE."

"I'm n-n-not!"

"I know you and her done it before. Maybe ya never stopped, huh? Maybe all this time."

"That...w-was...j-just once...y-y-years...a-g-g-go!"

Whap! He hits me again with another open hand slap as hard as any punch. The room spins around me.

"DUDE!" Brayden steps forward only to get shoved back again. "Leave him alone!"

Jack drops me and I land on the floor in a heap. I roll over to turtle up and stare straight down at the carpet as a little pit-pit-pit-pit of blood drips from the tip of my nose. Standing over me my brother shoves me with a foot. "I'm getting a genetics test done. And I swear to God...if that kid ain't mine you're fuckin dead Avie."

I stay huddled small hoping and praying that the beating was over. He stands over me for a tense couple of minutes, letting his message sink in, before turning and marching from our place. The moment I hear the door slam shut the tears begin to flow.

"Aw Jesus." Brayden comes to kneel beside me. "You okay Avie?"

"Leave m-me alone." I whisper. He goes to help me up but I push him away. "Just l-leave me alone."

"Yeah, sure man." He sighs. "Jesus Christ. Fuckin Jack."

***

Chapter 54

I do cry but only for a little, on the outside at least. I stagger to my feet, sniffle, and try to wipe the blood and tears from my face. I look down at my ripped shirt, smoothing it out with my hands though I don't know why. "I gotta get changed for work." I whisper. I turn and on unsteady feet shuffle to the table where I stand it back up again.

"Dude." Brayden hurries to pick up the chair then starts to clean up the stuff that slid from the table's surface onto the floor when I crashed across it. "I got this Avie."

"Thank you Brayden." In a sort of daze I shuffle to kitchen and get some cleaner and paper towels then return to clean the spot on the carpet. "Gotta do it right away before it stains." My voice flat and unstuttering, my mind in cotton, as I daub the blood away. "Wanna get that damage deposit back eventually, huh Brayden?"

"Sure Avie." He says. "Hey man, you okay?"

"I'm okay."

"That was fucked up. I didn't...I shoulda...I shoulda..."

"It's okay."

"You aren't actually banging Lauren, are you Avie?"

"No."

"Didn't think so. Fuck man. I thought Jack would mellow once he got hitched."

I notice my clothes again. "Oh. I gotta get changed for work." I leave whatever it was I was doing and change from these work clothes into fresh ones. I was relieved to see that none of my blood had stained the shirt. A little sewing and a couple new buttons and it would be good as new. Just a bit of thread would fix all the damage done. That's good. I find myself in the washroom dressed in fresh clothes. I clean the bit of dried blood from the tip of my nose and around my lips then brush my teeth to get the red off of them as well. As I am staring at myself I notice a little bruising at the bottom corner of my left eye. Darn. I was hoping it wouldn't show. I'd have to pick up some concealer when I was at work today.

As I stand and stare into my blank eyes the fugue begins to lift and the real hurt sets in. Jack had promised that he wouldn't hit me again. He promised. It was that betrayal of my brother's word that hurt most of all. I also felt betrayed by myself. If only I hadn't taken that stupid swing at him this never would have happened. What had I been thinking? No wonder he thought something was off with me. This was my fault as much as it was his.

My hands on the sink I lean forward and study the shiner more closely. It was small but it was ugly. I hope it heals before Winona sees me again. She likes pretty things, not ugly things. Her baby girl would never have something so ugly on her face.

I am shaken from my daze by a light knock on the door. "You done in there dude?"

"Huh? Oh, y-yeah." I step back then turn to open the door. There I see my roommate dressed up in his best shirt, tucked in nice, and trousers, complete with belt. Rumpled though they may be he actually looked not bad. He was shaved, his hair combed, and while his cologne was heavy for my taste he smelled as good as Brayden ever got. "I thought you were going out with the b-boys?"

"I'm not in the mood." He says. Standing straight he slaps his belly then thrusts his arms out to the side. "What do ya think? Do I look like a shoe guy or what?"

"Actually...yeah." I say. "You k-kinda do." In all my life I don't think I'd ever met anybody that screamed 'shoe salesman' more than Brayden did right now. "You look g-great."

"Thanks man."

"Y-You'll do great." I say, genuinely a little proud of the guy. "D-Don't bad mouth anybody and y-you'll do fine."

"Me? Bad mouth? Pfff. I only spit facts. If they can't handle..."

"Brayden."

"Yeah, yeah. I'll mind my mouth." He says. "You want a ride to work?"

"No. I-I'll be okay. Thank you."

"Yep." He says. "Now out of the way bro. I gotta piss!"

"Oh!" I smile and hop to the side. "There ya go."

As I hear the stream hit the water, half the volume of Winona's, he calls through the open door. "I'm using you as a reference. Don't tell them I live with ya, okay?"