A Simple Life Ch. 50-59

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"What is it Avery?"

If I couldn't tell Grandpa...who could I tell? "It, um...it wasn't actually pajamas."

"Oh?"

"She got me a..." Again I peek back at him, wanting to see his reaction. "...a nightie. A girl's nightie. And I p-put it on for her."

He gives me a long look then rises to come up beside me. Slipping a hand on my opposite shoulder he asks. "And?"

"And...I-I-I liked it." I nervously glance back and forth between his face and the ocean. "I-I think I looked really pretty in it actually."

"I am sure you did Buttercup."

Feeling nothing but love I continue. "It was turquoise with green lace. It was so smooth and felt so nice on me. And so pretty. I slept in it. It was wonderful Grandpa."

With a warm smile he gives my shoulder a light squeeze.

"I-I-I shouldn't have told you that."

"Come on now." He gives me a shake. "You can tell your old Gramps anything. You know that Buttercup. Anything."

"Yeah." I say, feeling really good for telling someone despite what I'd just said. "It's kinda weird though."

"What? You think you're the first one of us to rock a dress?"

"What?"

"Didn't I ever tell you about Halloween of 73?"

"No."

"Anna and I went as Sonny and Cher." Staring straight ahead his eyes twinkle as he sees not the ocean and the crimson-orange sky but a memory of his one true love. "She was Sonny. I was Cher."

"Cher!? Pfff!"

"Don't you laugh at me." He says with playful indignance. "I made a pretty damn fine Cher thank you very much. And your Grandma...she looked SO cute in that mustache." He smiles, his eyes still distant. "It tickled when we kissed."

"He he he he."

"It started a whole thing for awhile. From 73 to 84, if I was ashore, we'd go as a famous music couple. Yoko and John. John and Olivia. Kenny and Dolly was fun." He grabs his pecs. "I had these two humongous water balloons for boobs. They were bouncin and floppin all over the place."

"PFFF!"

"It was fine until Anna squeezed too hard and one burst! Not only was I all wet...I only had one tit for the rest of the night!" He says. "I was one miffed Dolly."

"Ha ha ha ha! Grandpa!" I burble. "You did that!?"

"What?" He raises his chin. "You think a hard workin fisherman can't get in touch with his feminine side?"

"No." I can't stop giggling. "He he he he."

"And I can tell you that your Grandma was the perfect gentleman. Opened doors and pulled out chairs. She really knew how to treat a lady."

"He he he he he!"

"And I can also tell ya, we didn't just wear the costumes to the parties either. Heh." He laughs. "Don't tell her, but sometimes when your Mom was off to sleep we'd break out the outfits."

"Pbrlt! Really?"

"Variety is the spice of life mah boy." He pats my shoulder. "We even did Ike and Tina." He cringes. "It was the 70's but...eeesh. The less said about that year the better. I don't know what we were thinking. That one's just between you, me and Grandma, Buttercup."

"My lips are sealed."

"And the last year we did Johnny and June. In all black...mmm mmm, my Anna was something that night." That soulful tone in his voice, I felt that I knew it a little better now. "And everybody agreed that the dress I chose really showed off my legs."

"I bet you looked great Grandpa."

"I'll show ya. I've got some pictures around here somewhere."

"Yes! I wanna see." It takes a second but I realize that I'd heard the name 'June' just recently. "June? Oh! Johnny, as in Johnny Cash."

"And June Carter. Yeah."

"Johnny is Winona's favorite."

"The gal's got good taste, in music and men." He gives my shoulder another squeeze and another pat. "Remember the reef to starboard."

"Aye Cap'n."

"I'm gonna go find those photos and set the table. You can tell me the rest over supper." He says. "Gimme a shout when we're dropping anchor."

"I will." As he goes to pull away I stop him. Letting go of the wheel I grab him up in another hard hug.

"Eyy!" He chuckles and hugs me back. "Bonus hug!"

"Thank you Grandpa." I whisper.

"Thank me? For what?"

"For just...being you."

***

Chapter 57

Careful to give the reef along the west side of the cove's awkward opening a wide berth I steer Bella into the glassy waters of the quiet cove, pleased to see no other boats within it. Tonight it was all ours. With high craggy walls on three sides and a steep forested slope up the other Moshe Cove was as cut off from the rest of the world as you could get. The only artificial thing that marred the natural scenery was the ugly cell phone tower that had been erected upon a distant hill to service the southern portion of the island about a decade ago. I had hated that thing when it first went up, complaining that it spoiled what was otherwise a perfect view. But tonight...tonight that tower was beautiful. It was a tread connecting us to the real world, and her. Winona asked that I call her and I had every intention of doing so the moment I could. I angle the ship for wind then take her to the far end of the cove where it would be the most sheltered and where it had the the most unobstructed angle to the tower. About a hundred yards out from my target I cut the engines and let the big girl's momentum carry us to a gradual stop.

"Ready to drop anchor?" I call down.

"Looks good. Say the word skipper."

"Drop anchor."

I hear the clickety-clack of chain for a few seconds. "Alright, we're good. Take her easy Buttercup." I reverse engine very lightly, creeping back to get us some play, then things are set and I reverse again until Grandpa was sure the anchor had bit. "We're good."

Anchor lights on and the engines off I climb down to find the deli section banquet I'd brought with me all prepared and laid out for us right there on deck. Grandpa was just pouring the wine and as he sets down the bottle I notice an old photo album on the table with a black cat on the cover.

"You found the p-pictures." I say as I settle into my chair.

He gives it a pat as he takes his place across from me. "The Halloween album. But let's eat first, I'm starvin."

"Me too!"

Under two strings of lights swaying to the cool, gentle breeze off the water Grandpa and I eat, drink, talk, and watch the picturesque scenery gradually go dark around us. At least two more times I tell Grandpa a more fulsome, though PG rated, version of Winona's night together and each time I am left aglow thinking about her. I just couldn't talk about her enough, both because it was my favorite subject right now and because that my words kept falling short of conveying just how incredible she actually was. Despite my limitations of vocabulary Grandpa seemed to understand exactly what I was talking about.

When I am done gushing over my date night it was Grandpa's turn to tell a few stories. He surprises me by breaking out a couple that I had never head before, ones that were a bit more mature and intimate than the usual Grandma stories. I hang on his every word as he tells me the tale of his and one true love's second date. To anybody else it might have sounded like a cliche account of a lovely girl, a disapproving father, a dinner and dancing out on the town, and bit of making out in the car. But it was the way he told it that touched me so deeply. The look in his eyes, the fawning descriptions, the laughter at the silliest little details, and the soft sighs followed by a few seconds silence, I now understood EXACTLY the emotions he was expressing. And as I listen I fall a little bit in love with Anna myself. My Grandma sounded like one amazing woman. If Winona was the number one lady to ever exist Anna was definitely the runner up.

As the wine and the words flow I feel the deep, indestructible bond between us grow even more. And I now feel the anguish of what he lost like I never had. Seeing him I wanted to be him. I wanted to be his age with all of these happy memories of a lifetime with my soulmate. But unlike him I wanted for my soulmate to be there beside me. To find a connection like that and lose it...I can't even imagine what that would do to a man.

The story of the second date concludes with another uncomfortable interaction between my Grandpa and Anna's dad to which I laugh and say. "He sounds terrible!"

Grandpa chuckles. "He was a father. Sometimes it's their job to be terrible." He takes a draw from his smoke and blows a cloud into the air. As we both watch it drift away he says in a soft and solemn tone. "I never really understood him until I had a daughter of my own. And then I got it."

"You didn't approve of Dad?"

"No." He says bluntly. "No I did not. But, she wouldn't listen. In matters of the heart...they never do." He swallows and stifles a cough. "But I'm glad she didn't. They gave me you."

Reaching across I squeeze his hand he squeezes my hand back.

"I, um, I-I hope it turns out better for Lauren and J-Jack."

"Me too Buttercup." He sighs and shakes his head sadly. "You just a be good uncle to that kid, okay Avery? Promise me that?"

"I...I promise."

"Take them out on Bella. Be kind to them. Let them know that they're loved and that, in this family, they are never alone."

The weight of his words hits me like a meteorite. He was telling me this because he wouldn't be around to do these things himself.

"Oh Grandpa!"

"Hey." He leans over and hugs me and kisses my cheek to comfort me. "I know you'll do me proud."

"I-I'll try." I sniffle, on the verge of tears.

"Hey." He takes up the book. "I haven't shown you the pictures yet."

We move our chairs from the table to look out over the cove side by side. Dark had fallen and out here, with no light around except the moon and those that we brought with us, the starry heavens are unveiled in all their glory. Along the way Grandpa has a coughing fit, the worst I'd seen yet. As he slumps down onto his chair and tries to contain it I hurry to his side and cover him with a blanket he had hanging near the hammock. I didn't know if he was cold or not but doing something was better than nothing. When the fit finally recedes he pats my hand and thanks me.

"I'm okay." He says through a gravelly rasp. "Come on." He motions to my chair.

I pull my chair right up tight beside his. Over our thighs he opens the book and begins to flip through.

"OH!" I gasp. "Grandpa! You're so pretty! Are those abs!?"

He laughs, running his fingers across the half-century old memory. The first page showed photos of him and Grandma as Sonny and Cher. Grandma was in cheesy bell-bottom suit and mustache and Grandpa in a very risque yet totally classy yellow skirt and top with the midriff showing. From his head hung a long, straight black wig that was very reminiscent of Winona's raven locks. I had expected the costume to be crass and done for humor but the make up, the fashion, the whole look was much more dignified than that. In the photo Grandpa was young, maybe just a bit older than I was now, tanned and slender. In his face I could see the hopes and dreams of a young man shining through. And, just like he said, Anna looked so darn cute in that mustache.

"Ohhh! You guys are so COOL!"

"Ha!" He is all smiles. "Yeah. We had our moments."

Page by page he flips through the album, stopping to tell the odd anecdote from that particular Halloween. The years flip by and before my eyes, beneath their cross dressing costumes, I see the faces of lovers whose love only grew deeper with time. The Ike and Tina year was conspicuously absent but the rest were all there and all of them wonderful. Along the way my Mom shows up, looking absolutely adorable in the little homemade outfits Grandma made her. It was weird to think that bubbly little baby was the unhappy woman that I knew all my life. Boy do we have a good laugh at the Dolly and Kenny year. Grandma in a beard, Grandpa with a big ol' pair o' titties and a big blond wig, Mom as an ewok, they looked to be having such FUN! And then the final year, Johnny and June. The costumes were more muted than previous years, Grandma in a nice black suit without a tie and Grandpa in a very charming green sleeveless dress, but the fun and the love still shone through. That exact same love I could see shining from Grandpa's eyes now, the separation of years not dimming that inner glow one bit.

It is with a wistful sigh he closes the last page. "After that I started running Bella here. I was just so busy." His voice a whisper he says. "You always think there'll be another year."

"That was awesome." I say. "You guys looked so good and so...HAPPY!"

"We were." He smiles. "Times were good and times were bad, but we were always happy."

I sit back, smiling. "Winona wants us to dress up too. For a convention. As Urbosa and Link from Legend of Zelda."

"I don't know that show."

"We've already done a little d-dress up. I dressed up as my character Althea while she r-roleplayed as her Lady Ara. It was fun." I say. "M-Maybe we could dress up for Halloween too. Just like you and Grandma did."

"Ha ha! Look at you. You are a chip off the old blockhead." He knocks his skull. "My boy!"

"Yeah." I giggle. My eyes drift up to the distant tower, now just a black silhouette against the star field beyond, and for long moment we fall silent.

"Call her." He says with a pat of my hand.

"Mmm?"

"Call Winona." He smiles. "I'll see you in the morning."

"S-Sorry, I didn't mean to..."

"It's okay Buttercup. I understand." Hugging the blanket around him and tucking the album beneath his arm he gets to his feet. "Mind looking after the mess?"

"I got it." I say with a wave toward the table. "You sleep well Grandpa."

"You too." Coming in behind me he grips my shoulder. "I love you Avery."

I look back and up at him. "I love you too Grandpa."

***

Chapter 58

I clear the table and do the dishes before grabbing a beer and heading back up into the wheelhouse to make my call. The phone had barely begun to ring before I hear a cheery.

"Hey!"

"Hi."

There's a funny moment of silence as each of us waited for the other to say something. And then, as things always go, we both try to speak at once. We laugh and then both say "Go ahead" at the same time which gets us laughing more.

"Shush! My turn." Winona chuckles.

"Yes'm."

"How ya doin? How's your night going?" She asks. "How was work? How's Grandpa?"

"Which one do you want me to answer first?"

"Sprout!"

"He he he. I'm doing great." Staring out I watch the moon's wavering reflection on the water. "I wish you could be here. It is so nice out here. So quiet. We went to a little cove at the south end of the island. It's super pretty."

"Aw, that sounds awesome. You should show me someday."

"I will." I smile. "Grandpa would love to m-meet you. And once I get my captain's license I can take Bella out on my own. G-Grandpa wouldn't mind. I'd just have to teach you a few things is all."

"Ooo! Captain! Very impressive." She croons. "And what would you teach me, Captain?"

I giggle. "Just a couple things. Bella's a big ship to run solo."

"I know you can handle a big gal."

"Pff!"

"Would I have to say Aye Sir and No Sir?"

"He he he! Oh yeah. Totally. You'd have to do everything I say. No questions asked."

"Oh really?"

"W-Well, discipline is very important aboard ship."

"Discipline eh?" She says. "I'd like to see ya try."

"Gulp!"

"He he he. So how's your Grandpa?"

"Oh good. We had a real nice meal. He showed me a bunch of pictures of him and my Grandma. They used to dress up together! They looked so cool." I chortle as I describe to her the Halloween costumes. "You shoulda seen them. Grandpa had abs!"

"Eh. Abs are overrated."

"Oh?"

"I like my belly's soft." She says. "Like yours." I actually blush. "Ohhh Sprout." She sighs. "I can't wait to see you again."

"Me too." I say through a smile.

"I can't wait to touch you and kiss you again."

"Me too."

"Tell me what you're seeing. Let me imagine that I'm there."

"Well, I'm sitting in the wheelhouse looking out over the cove. I can see the m-moon in the water. It's really pretty. The water's really dark. The stars are incredible and the moon has the island bathed in this really nice light." I say. "I shoulda brought my camera."

"That's okay." She says. "I can see it all. Hmmm. Very pretty. It's like I'm right there with you."

"Yeah." I say I look to the empty space to my right. "There's a spot right here beside me."

"If I were there I'd put you on my lap and hug you so hard. I'm in a Mommy mood tonight."

"Mmm. I'd like that." I whisper, almost feeling her arms around me. "What else would Mommy do?"

"She'd say, good boy. Good boy. You're a good, good boy."

"Ohhh. I like that."

"She'd hold you so close and snuggle so hard and make her special guy feel so good."

"Ohhhhh." I curl up on the couch and lay my head against the back, imagining that it was her shoulder.

"I miss you little one."

"I miss you too Mommy."

We both let out a long and longing sigh.

"Damn it. You're gonna make me cry Avery. Ahe-hem!"

"Cry!?"

"You're just so... You're not the only one who cries ya know! I'm allowed to cry, okay?"

"Okay." I was smiling so hard.

She clears her throat. "Hold it in Winona. Channel Daddy."

"Pff!" I giggle. "What would Daddy do if she were here?"

"Nuh uh. Daddy don't play over the phone."

"No?" I coo in my baby girl voice. "Please?"

"Ha! Nice try Sprout." She lets out a hard breath. "Okay, we gotta stop. Whooo."

I giggle again. "You're fun Winona."

"You too cutie." She says. "Hey...uh, I guess I better warn ya."

"Warn me?"

"Yeeeah." I could hear the cringe in her voice. "Remember how I said that I wasn't gonna tell my folks about you for a bit, to spare ya from their...erm, attention?"

"Yeah."

"Well, I kinda let it slip."

"Oh?"

"I guess I kept talking about you or something. I dunno. But they kinda figured it out somehow. Not for sure, I denied everything, but they're definitely onto us."

I grin. "You were talking about me?"

"I mean I think I mentioned you once or twice." She says. "In relation to the game and stuff. Ya know? Just, be ready. I wanted to tell ya so they didn't blindside you."

"Is it cool they know?"

"Oh yeah. You know how parents are though. Expect a man-to-man from Pops in your near future."

"Eep!"

"Hey! Speaking of the game, we still cool to use your place?"

"Oh! Uh..."

"You said we could game there."

"Yeah. Yeah! Sure." I say, already worrying about Brayden. "Kayla didn't want to host?"

"And have 'Babe' listening to our every word? No way dude. It's creepy!" She says. "Alright then. It's a go. 7 still cool?"

"Cool."

"Briar's got everyone super pumped to roll up some characters and get going. Even Riley." She says. "She was wondering if she could get your number."

"Briar?"

"Yeah. I guess Kayla won't give it out."

"Yeah." I say. "She knows I get u-u-uncomfortable when people call me unexpectedly. It's okay if Briar has it though."

"You sure Sprout?"

"I'm sure." I say. "I can't wait. This is gonna be fun!"

"I know! But I'm so nervous." She says. "My first real group as the Fable Master. It's a lot of pressure. And it's happening so fast! I thought I'd have more planning time."

"You'll be amazing. I know you will."

"Thanks Sprout." She says warmly.

We talk for a long time meandering from one topic to the next, just happy to hear the other's voice. She tells me that she thinks they got their paperwork sorted but they won't know for sure until Monday. I tell her the big news about becoming an uncle and she is really pumped about the fact that if it was a girl she'd have my name as her middle name. She tells me about the hijinks of the latest episode of The Bailey Bunch. I tell her about Brayden trying for the 'Help Wanted' sign we saw at the shoe store. She tells me about how much Brutus was being fawned over by her Dad and how much her Mom thought it ridiculous. I tell her more about Grandpa. The conversation was about nothing in particular yet it meant everything. Outside of Grandpa who was the last person I could just hold a regular, relaxed conversation like this? Kayla maybe but even with her I never felt this at ease. And as we talk I occasionally look up at Grandma's photo with pride of place above the wheel among the various knick-knacks. Had I found my Anna? It sure felt like it.