A Simple Life Ch. 72-83

Story Info
An interesting breakfast and a much needed recharge.
17.1k words
4.91
2.5k
10
0

Part 8 of the 8 part series

Updated 03/14/2024
Created 03/29/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
grimbous
grimbous
1,038 Followers

Author's Note: As is probably obvious by now ASL has turned out to be much more of a serial slice of life drama-romance first and an erotica second. If you're sticking around expect large swaths of story between the spicy bits (though they will come). And be ready for a long ride as this story, as of writing this note, is at chapter 126 and it is still going strong. Okay, you've been warned. Happy reading!

***

Chapter 72

That night I barely get a wink of sleep as my mind turns over and over and over again about what had happened. I chastise myself for all the things I did wrong and replay the moment Winona became upset with me. How would I do it different if given the chance? What should I have done or said? I think about the situation this dumb black eye had gotten me in and consider how to make sure it never happened again. How was I going to deal with Jack? If only he wasn't family, it would have been so easy. I also think about Winona. What was she doing right now? Was she still upset with me? Was her night as sleepless as mine?

For all my worries and anxieties however there were also so many good feeling mixed in. The way she spoke to me at the end, the way she was so careful to contain the anger that I knew was in her heart to speak to me with such...respect. It touched me. With the exception of Grandpa my family's habit was to shoot from the hip when emotions got high, to inflict as much damage as possible before their blood cooled, then apologize for everything after the fact. Not with Winona though. During our first argument she had held her tongue. She left before she could say anything truly hurtful. Despite being upset her first concern was to do no harm. And she assured me that she loved me before she left. Maybe that was the norm with other people but words could not express what that all meant to me. How I loved that woman.

What fun we'd had tonight! The game. The smooching. The laughter. The sexy times in here. I could still taste her. Mmmmm. And then there was the balcony and the utterance of those three simple little words that changed my world forever. Nearly the perfect night...if not for this stupid eye.

Back to the beginning my thoughts go along with the rise of all my fears and worries to start the roller coaster all over again.

At 6:30 am I give up the pretense of sleeping and shuffle to the kitchen for a morning tea. As I sit and watch steam rise from my cup the way last night ended gnaws at me. I look to my phone. No. It's too early. She won't even be up yet. Besides, she'll think me some desperate weirdo for contacting her at this hour.

I sit there in my quiet apartment until my tea, still full to the brim, wasn't steaming anymore. "Screw it."

Grabbing my phone I head back to my room. Instead of using it however it is slipped into the pocket of my jeans the moment I am dressed. What I had to say couldn't be said over the phone. I NEEDED to see her face. I NEEDED to feel her hands in mine. I need to be in her presence so that I could grovel with all my heart. And I needed to do it before her dad got there for the day.

I am dressed, freshened up, and already slipping a jacket on when Brayden come stumbling out of his room befuddled and disheveled.

"G-Good luck on your first day of w-work!" I say as I am stepping out the door. "I know you'll do g-great."

"What the?" He blinks and squints. "Where are you...?"

I am gone before my dozy brained roomie can get the question out.

Outside I find the air chilly and the slowly brightening unbroken ceiling of clouds as gray as yesterday, but at least the rain had stopped. I zip up my jacket, pull on my helmet and start up my bike. Before I know it I am weaving through town on the way to the highway out of it.

As my tires turn so to does my fatigued mind. What was I doing out here at this time of day? Gah! This was nuts. I was nuts. I couldn't just roll up to Winona's now. I needed to let this breathe. I needed to collect my own thoughts before facing her again I needed to get a plan of action. This could have waited a day or two. Geez Avery, calm down would ya? This love stuff had me acting crazy.

I laugh at myself and my silliness. Ah well. A ride in the fresh morning air would do me wonders. Opening up the throttle I rip along the quiet highway nearly as fast as my little dirt bike could go. I had the road all to myself, that is until I see a truck coming the other way on the long straight away into town. A brown truck. An old, brown F-150. A familiar old, brown F-150. I knew that truck!

She spots me as I spot her and each of us pulling to the shoulder and slamming on our brakes. We overshoot each other by about twenty yards. I am off of my bike, helmet thrown to the ditch. Winona is out of the cab, door slammed behind her. We run for each other, our need to touch overriding our care at how silly or crazy we looked. We meet across the center line of the highway. She takes my hands in hers and squeezes them tight. Under her slightly bloodshot eyes I see the same dark circles I'd seen in the mirror under mine.

"I'm sorry!" We both say at once. We laugh.

"No. Me." She insists as she gazes deep into my eyes. "You're right Avery. I don't know your family. I don't know your brother. I don't know anything. I just met you and, even though I feel like I know you, I have so much to learn. And...and...I want to learn! I want to learn everything about you Avery." Her outpouring of words were coming one on top of the next. It was as if she were worried if she didn't get them all out at once they'd never come at all. "I'm sorry I didn't trust you. I'm sorry I tried to meddle in your family. I'm sorry I left. I'm...sorry."

I'm crying, again. This woman just had a way of getting my tears flowing.

I sniffle and grip her hands as tight as I can. "I'm s-s-sorry. I'm sorry I t-tried to k-keep you out. I'm s-sorry I didn't explain it right. I'm s-sorry I tried to ignore it and avoid it wh-when I c-could see how important it was to you. There's n-nothing wrong with wanting to protect your friends. It's...w-wonderful! I want the r-r-real you." I sniff and swallow. "Just, w-with my f-family..."

"Leave it to you."

"Yeah. I'm s-sorry. It has to b-be that way."

"Alright." She sighs and pulls me into a hug. "When you do need help, you'll let me?"

"Yes." I whisper. "I will. I swear I will."

"When you're ready to talk about it?"

"I know you'll be there."

"Okay. Okay." She kisses me. "Okay?"

I smile and nod. "Okay."

Her eyes meet mine and she slowly pulls me in for soft, tender, loving...WHOOSH! HONNNNK!

A truck from the power company roars past us. From out his open window the worker shakes a fist and swears back at us. "God damn crazy kids!"

We look at each other and begin to giggle.

"We almost died!"

"Pfff! Y-Yeah!"

"HA HA HA HA!" Our joined laughter rings out across the peninsula.

"Hey, what are ya doin for breakfast Sprout?"

I grin, feeling not at all tired. "Whatever you're d-doing. And I d-don't have to work today. I got n-nothin but time."

"Hey, hey!" She pats my chest. "My man." Putting her arm around my shoulder she leads me toward my bike. As she rolls my bike to her truck I start looking for where my helmet rolled. Just my luck I find it in a thick clump of thistles.

"Found it!" I stand and hold up over my head.

"Right on!" She calls back from the bed of her truck. She had already hoisted my bike into the box...without help...without a ramp...without even putting the tailgate down. Dang that girl was strong! I was starting to wonder if I was protecting Winona from my brother or the other way around.

***

Chapter 73

On the way back into town I learn that it was no coincidence that Winona had been driving that road at the same time that I was. Like me she was coming into town specifically to make up. In the hot, heady flush of new love each us had worried that our little spat spelled an end to something magical that hadn't even gotten a chance to begin. We were both being silly, as usual.

Once in town we head for the best breakfast on the island, and for a working class gal like Winona that meant Chub's. The whale shaped sign on the historic brick building read 'Baleine Bistro' but anybody who had been here for more than a couple months knew it simply as Chub's. It got this moniker from the nickname of the previous owner, a loud and portly man with a famously jolly smile. His son, who took over the place back in the 90's when Chub Senior passed on, had inherited his father's grin though none of his girth. Despite being as thin as a cornstalk the name had been passed on to him. Tourists believed it was used ironically but we locals knew that it was simply a shortening of Chub Junior. Though 'Junior' was now well into his seventies he was still as spry as a man half his age. The lunch and dinner menus were your standard American Chinese fare, though his noodle dishes were to die for, but it was his simple, affordable, belly filling breakfasts that made Chub the hero of every man and woman earning an honest living on Ehkolie.

Even at this hour the place was already bustling. As the bells above the door announce our arrival Winona and I are hit with a concussive wall of voices, laughter, and the clatter of cutlery on plates. The main room was a large open square with a counter along the left wall, the kitchen at the back, booths around the other two walls, and a dozen or so tables filling the center. Decorating the walls was a history of our island in photographs. From the grainy black white early days right up to the construction of the latest tidal power project.

"I see a table." Winona says loudly as, on her tip toes, she peers over a group gathered around the register.

"H-H-Hold on." I say. "I w-wanna show you something."

"What's that Sprout?" She leans in to hear my naturally soft voice.

"Look at this." I lead her over to one of the framed photos just beside the entrance. A little sticker at the bottom read 'Docks, 1980'. I point at a tiny yellow and black blob on the deck of one of the trawlers. "That's my Grandpa."

Leaning in she pushes her glasses higher up her nose and squints. "Really? How can you tell?"

"He told me." I say with a smile. "Cool, huh?"

"Yeah!" She pats my shoulder and starts to look around. "Hey, you got any pictures up here?"

"Me? Oh, oh no. I-I just mostly t-take'em for myself."

"Oy." Comes a sharp voice that cuts through the chaos. "Micheal's boy. Avery, right?"

I turn around to see the scrawny septuagenarian. "H-Hi Chub."

"Don't see you in here too much." He points to the far corner where one of his granddaughters was hustling to clear a booth. "Spot right there."

"Th-Thank you." I say, though my voice is swallowed by the noise.

"How's that kooky Grandpa of yours?" He asks as he guides us along at brisk pace.

"He's...good." I lie.

"Good, good." He says. "You got that garage open yet Winona?"

"Not yet." She says. "Soon."

"Alright! Great, great." And with that as a goodbye he hives off to go schmooze some other customers. In the times I'd been here I don't think I'd ever seen him still for more than a few seconds.

We take our seats, opting to sit side by side instead of across from each other for a better view of the street. The fact that it would allow us to hold hands was ENTIRELY coincidental. All around us locals traded gossip, political opinions and off-color humor as we peruse the menu.

"The Full Chubby." Winona says after just a glance.

I giggle at the silly name. "Um...I w-wish they served the c-clam noodles this early."

"For breakfast?" She laughs and gives me a playful shake.

I giggle more. "They're SOOO good. I-I'll just get the pancakes."

"Hold on Sprout." She raises a hand and waves to get the attention of the nearest server. "Amy!"

"Winnie." Nods the woman who had just cleared our table.

I am struck with horror as Winona asks, voice loud enough to carry over the din. "Hey, what are the chances we could get some of those garlic clam noodles?"

My eyes bulge as I shrink in my seat, my face heating with an intense blush as I hear a few chuckles from those around us. What was she doing!? You couldn't order those for breakfast. It was against the rules!

"W-Winona...!" I peep.

"Sorry, after 11." Amy says.

"Aw, come on Amy." Winona prods. "Hook us up."

"I-I-It's o-o-okay!" I say as loud as I can, which turns out to be a pitiful squeak. "P-P-Panc-cakes are f-f-fine."

I am aghast as Amy turns and shouts across the busy room "Ey Grandpa! Ey Grandpa! EY, YA DEAF OLD BUGGER!"

"WHAT!" He snaps.

"Someone wants the clam noodles."

"WHA!? For breakfast? Who wants noodles for breakfast!?"

"Right here!" Winona joins the shouted conversation, her arm around me as I try to disappear into myself.

"YOU?"

"Yeah man." Winona replies. "Best noodles in town. How about it?"

"Why you want noodles now?"

"I got a craving."

"No noodles for breakfast!"

"Why not? Come oooon."

"Come on Chub!" Comes a voice from the crowd to a sprinkle of laughter. "Give the lass some clams."

"Oh sure! Give her noodles and next you ALL want noodles! NOODLES ARE FOR AFTER 11!"

"Come on Chub, rules are made to be bent." Winona laughs, loving this back and forth. "Have a heart. I'm just dyin for them clams."

"No!"

"Give ya half off an oil change. How's that sound?"

"Hell of a deal Chub." Comes another voice. The whole damn place was getting into it.

"Mmm, fine! Fine! Give the girl her noodles." Chub waggles a knobbly finger at us. "Expectin big tip!"

"You'll get it." Winona shoots him a wink. "Thanks old timer."

"OLD TIMER!!!"

The entire restaurant erupts with uproarious laughter. In the meantime I'm looking for the nearest hole to dive into. An ant burrow would have been enough.

Amy turns to face us again with a humongous smirk. "And what'll you have?"

"Full Chubby for him. Sunny side up, rye toast." Winona says as she slides the menus over to Amy.

Amy looks at us, eyes twinkling in mirth as her grandpa continued to make a meal of the scene. "Anything to drink, ma'am? Martini perhaps?"

"Nah. Coffee for me. He'll have a tea." Winona says once it was obvious that I'd been struck mute. "And waters for both of us."

"One Full Chubby. One Garlic Clam Noodles. Coming up!"

"Ask and ye shall receive Spout." Winona says as she gives me a celebratory squeeze.

When I find my voice again I lean close to her. "I c-c-can't b-believe you d-did that!"

"What? You wanted noodles." Hidden between us she slips her hand into mine. "It never hurts to ask."

"I...I...pbbbt!"

Squeezing my hand she says softly. "I screwed up again."

"No. No." I say. "No."

As I feel her hand squeeze mine I wonder...what was I actually upset about? Because she made a scene? Who cares? Everyone here seemed to love it. Even Chub, despite his protests. It would give them something to talk about and laugh about for a couple of minutes before they move on, brightening everybody's day in the process. And while I was sitting beside her it's not like she'd actually put me on the spot. She took on the brunt of the oddball order herself. And, best of all, I was about to get the meal I actually wanted. I NEVER would have had the courage to ask for it myself.

Looking up at Winona I smile. "Th-Thank you."

"Anytime Sprout." She grips my hand extra hard. "Hey, I was thinking...oh shit!"

Her wide eyes are suddenly locked on the jingling front door. The reason for her exclamation reaches my ears before my eyes.

"Amos!" Chub's piercing voice calls. "You and me gotta have a talk about this daughter of yours."

***

Chapter 74

Following Winona's gaze I look across the crowded diner to see her father at the door looking bigger and scarier than ever. Even among this room full of carpenters, fishermen and dock workers Amos stood out for his gargantuan size. Dressed for work he wore clean blue coveralls with a white and red patch on the chest that read 'Amos'. With Chub so helpfully pointing us out Amos scans across the room until he locks on. If I'd been hoping for a cheerful smile those hopes are dashed as his eyes narrow instead.

"Let me do the talking Sprout." Winona mutters. As if I wanted to take the lead! Yikes!

With a growing sense of dread I watch Amos makes his way through the seated diners, not an easy task given his sizable belly. He comes to loom over us.

Winona looks up with a chipper smile. "Mornin Pops. Wanna join us?"

"Yeah." He says. We have to shift the table all the way in our direction as he squeezes into the booth. "Saw your truck outside."

"Oh yeah?"

"Saw a bike in the back."

"Yeah." She laughs. "That's Avery's."

"Why?"

"Oh, well...I was giving him a lift."

"Bike broke down?"

"Nah. We thought we'd grab breakfast. Might as well ride together."

"Where you giving him a lift to at this time of day?"

"Well, Mr Nosy, he's coming up to help us." She nudges me. "Isn't that right Sprout?"

"Y-Yes!" I peep too loudly. "I-I-I have the d-day off so...I thought I could p-pitch in."

"Thanks pal."

"No p-problem."

"That's awfully nice of ya."

"A-Anything f-for a f-friend." I say. Winona and I glance at each other and smile despite ourselves.

"Right."

"What'll it be Amos." Asks Amy as she sets out our drinks. Amos gets a coffee without even being asked. "And nothing off the lunch menu!"

"Course not. I'll get my usual."

"One Jumbo Chub with a double tall stack of flapjacks comin up."

Amy heads off. Amos continues to sit across from us, his suspicious eyes lingering on one of us for a few seconds then flitting to the other then going back again. I suddenly understand how an amoeba felt under the lens of a microscope.

"Why's his face all red?"

"Because he's got a big gorilla glaring at him."

"Mmm." His eyes shift back to me. "So what are ya comin to help us with Avery?"

"He's..."

"He can talk for himself, can't he?"

"Of course he can. Tell him Avery. Tell him what you're coming to help us with." As Winona looks at me I could see the same panic in her as was in me. Neither of us had a clue how to answer that.

"Oh, you know. J-Just anything you g-guys need."

"Hmm."

"And! And! And, um, and..." My eyes cast about for something, anything, to grab onto. All I see is the other customers, the windows, and...the pictures. "Advertising!"

Both Crows look at me, equally confused. "Advertising?"

"Y-Yeah. I t-take pictures."

"He's a very good photographer. Super good. Like professional level."

"I th-thought I could scout the p-place out for some sh-shots. Help c-clean up the yard. G-Get it looking nice. M-Maybe you c-could use the p-pictures in the paper or online?"

"Oh yeah?" His mood shifts a smidgen from suspicious to curious.

"Yeah! Th-There's a cool look out just up the slope from there. I think I could get the garage with the whole peninsula and town in the background."

"Eyyy!" Winona hugs me happily. "Isn't he amazing?"

"We don't really have an online presence." He says, though I could hear interest piquing.

"Oh I c-can do that too." I say. "Set you up a couple of accounts, easy."

Amos being Amos he cuts right to the bottom line. "And how much is this 'help' costing us?"

"N-Nothing Sir." I smile. "I-I'm happy to do it."

"We'll give him credit on the photos though." Winona hurries to say. "Help him promote his work. Word of mouth and all that too."

"My...work?"

She shoots me a wink. "It's the least we can do."

"That's great." Amos leans back and nods. He takes up his cup of coffee, which looked like a thimble in his huge hands, and takes in a deep sniff. "That's really great." As he relaxed so did we. We'd gotten through the storm. He takes a long sip of his coffee, licks his lips, then says. "Now how about telling old Pops what's really going on between you two."

grimbous
grimbous
1,038 Followers