A Simple Life Ch. 72-83

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Old timer!?"

The owner and Winona start to banter once more to the amusement of the other patrons as I make my way out the door unnoticed. At a brisk pace I walk around the corner and take deep breath of the fresh morning air. The noise, the chaos, the crowd...gone. In the relative quiet of the alley I am able to find myself again.

***

Chapter 77

I am not sure how long I am standing there when I hear a quiet shuffle behind me. Looking back I see Winona leaning with her back against the wall about twenty feet away, cleaning her glasses as casual as could be. I don't know how long she'd been standing there waiting for me but clearly at least a couple of minutes.

When she notices me notice her she slips her glasses on and asks. "You cool Sprout?"

I approach her, my head bowed. "I-I'm sorry."

She smiles. "You don't need to keep apologizing. You didn't do anything wrong." With a soft stroke of my hair she leans closer. "Better now?"

I nod. "That was...a lot. I-I don't do well with crowds."

"And here I was hamming it up like an attention whore."

"No! I l-loved it!" I giggle. "It was so funny. You d-didn't do anything wrong either. I just...I just need to get b-better at that."

"No hurry." Her hand finds its way to rub my shoulder. "Still coming up to the shop with us?"

"I'd like to." I say.

"But?"

"But...I'm going to need some time alone." I whisper. "I-I-It's not that I don't like being with you!"

"It's cool Sprout. I get it. Russel needs his recharge time too." She says. "How about this. Come up with us then take a hike up the hill. Take all the time you need. You said you were going to scout around for good shots. That was quick thinking by the way."

"Yeah! I-I'd like that."

"Well alright then. Let's go."

Winona takes my hand and holds it tightly before leading me back to the truck. She didn't care who saw us hand-in-hand. More precisely, she was proud to be seen with me. And boy oh boy was I proud to be seen with her! My head up, my shoulders square, I walk beside her like a preening pure bred being lead down the aisle for best in show. Winona looks over at me and look back, and we both laugh.

"Wanna drive?" She asks as we approach the truck.

"Um, I c-can't drive manual."

"We'll have to fix that." She leaves me at the passenger door then hurries around and unlocks the truck. We hop in and soon are on our way. "I just gotta stop off and pick up some cleaning supplies at the hardware store."

"Oh! Um. W-We've got a big sale on right now, if you don't mind the store brand."

"Oh yeah?"

"Mm hm." I nod. "Plus the hardware store's not open for another hour."

She shrugs. "Sounds good."

We drive to my work and easily find a spot in the nearly empty lot. The store had only opened fifteen minutes ago so it was mostly just the early bird gray hairs. I thought I might actually pop with happiness as I enter the store and notice the heads of my coworkers turn at our entrance. Winona grabs a basket and we start for the cleaning aisle.

"Avery. You don't work today."

I look to see the manager approaching. "Hi B-Brenda. I'm j-just shopping."

"Oh. Usually never see you in here on your days off." She turns to Winona.

"Um, th-this is m-my...um..."

"Girlfriend." Winona steps forward and offers a hand. The pair of them shake. "Nice to meet ya Brenda."

"Girlfriend." I whisper with a smile.

"Avery!" Brenda laughs. "You've been keeping secrets."

"Yeah." I giggle.

"This guy, always so quiet. Well you look after this guy, huh?" Brenda steps back, hands on her hips as she looks back and forth between us looking genuinely happy for me. "I don't know what I'd do around here without him."

"He's in good hands." Winona says.

After a bit more friendly chit-chat we carry on and pick up a general cleaner and one another for the washroom along with some heavy duty paper towels, rags, and a couple of scrubbing pads. As we peruse the options I occasionally catch my coworkers sneaking peeks down the aisle, probably in disbelief that I'd gotten such a great girl. They weren't alone. Just being with Winona, watching her go about the most ordinary things, I am in awe of her effortless coolness and beauty.

We are coming back down the next aisle over when a shampoo catches Winona's eye. As she looks over the hair product my gaze was locked on something else. Something across the aisle. Something I'd stocked just recently. Something that stirred inside of me a deep shame...but also a fascination that even after all this time I could not shake. I had been teased mercilessly about them for years and yet...and yet... I look left. I look right. When I see nobody looking I tug at Winona's sleeve.

"Daddy?" I whisper.

This gets Winona's attention in a heartbeat! Forgetting all about shampoo her head snaps my way as an approving smile grows. "What is it baby girl?" She asks, keeping her voice low so as not to embarrass me with my pet name.

"Um." I had no sooner gathered my gumption when it was evaporating again. "Um..."

"Go ahead." She touches my arm. "What is it?"

"Um." I point at the nylons across the aisle. With my cheeks burning and my voice so quiet as to barely be audible I ask. "C-C-Can y-you...b-buy me...um..."

"Of course!" She turns and starts to look over the rows and columns of pantyhose. "Of course." Setting down the basket she slides an arm around my shoulder and pulls her close to her side, almost like she was protecting me. Even if she wasn't I sure felt protected.

Pressing in tight to her side I whisper. "I w-w-want the sheer ones. On the bottom row." How many times had I held those exact hose in my hands trying to gather the courage to buy them? Too many to count. And every time my courage had failed me.

"Mmm, very nice." She gets down to a knee and looks at my choice. "What's your size my girl?"

"I..." Again I glance left and right, my heart pounding fast. With nobody looking I allow my voice to go a little higher and softer. "I d-don't know."

She gives me a look. "With that waist? I think you're a small."

I let out a little gasp as she pulls a package from the hook and tosses it in the basket. This was really happening! My very own nylons!

"Ooo, these white stockings are cute." She grabs another package and tosses it in with the first. I giggle and sort of shuffle in place with contained excitement. "You've got some sheer and some white, might as well throw a black one in here. How about a pattern? You want hearts or dots?"

"He he he! Um, d-dots please. Dots."

A third set is added to the rest. Winona stands and picks up the basket and turns to face me. With a smile that touched my heart she reaches up and gently touches my jaw. "Anything else?"

"No." I shake my head. "Th-Thank you, D-Daddy."

"Anytime baby girl." She gives me a single tender kiss. "Anytime at all."

Fawning over her more than ever I follow her to checkout barely looking at anything else but her. From habit, and just to be helpful, I bag as the cashier rings the stuff through. The nylons are put through as easy as could be. They were simply nylons after all. Something we sold everyday. But to me the purchase was monumental. I hide my giddiness as best as I can as I slip the items into the bag. Ohhhh, what would they feel like on my skin!?

Winona makes the purchase and soon we are heading for the door.

"Hey! Enjoy your day off Avery."

"Thank you Brenda! I will!"

***

Chapter 78

On our drive up to the garage I sit fawning over the three pairs of nylons 'Daddy' just bought me. The fact it was Daddy and not Winona or Mommy made it feel extra sexy and extra naughty, which just thrilled me to bits. I could not wait to model these for her. Behind the wheel Winona glanced over every few seconds looking as happy as I felt.

"Thank you." I say for the third time since we'd left.

She laughs. "You're welcome, again!"

I giggle and put the hose away. "I like your dad."

"Yeah. And he seems to like you." She says. "How'd ya do it?"

"I d-dunno. I was...I was just honest with him." I say. "I told him that nobody could get between us. N-Not even him."

"My guy!" She nods. "Balls of steel."

"It w-wasn't so scary." I say. "He's actually r-really nice."

"Yeah, he's the softie." She says. "Mom's the hard ass. You might get a rougher ride from her."

"Oh."

"But Dad's on our side." She says with the utmost confidence. "She'll have to come around now." She slows at the T intersection of the highway then blows right through the stop sign when she sees nobody coming to cross the lanes into the gravel entrance of the garage. "Hey! When do you think I could meet your grandpa?"

"Oh, um, I dunno. A-Anytime really." I say. "Hey, what's going on?"

Up ahead was Amos talking to the driver of a flatbed truck. Loaded on the truck are a stack of huge sheets of cardboard. As we approach I see that the cardboard itself is just packaging.

"Cooool!" Winona exclaims as she parks the truck. "The sign's here."

We hop out and hurry up to stand beside Amos. In his left hand he held mighty Brutus as he pet the orange puffball with his right. I'd never seen the little kitten happier.

"Here they are." He says as the driver in the cab gives us a nod. "This is my kid Winnie and her guy Avery."

I was tickled right down to my toes that Amos was already introducing me as his daughter's 'guy', as if I were a part of the family. We each greet the scruffy and bleary-eyed driver before Amos sets us to work.

"Alright you two mooches. Time to pay off that breakfast."

"Hey! Avery never agreed to do any heavy lifting."

"I d-don't mind." I say to her softly.

"Ah, you're the best." She smiles a smile that was way more than payment enough for any amount of lifting. "Come on. Let's grab some gloves."

As Amos and the driver chat Winona and I carry the stuff she'd bought at the store inside, most of it staying in the office with just my nylons going into her suite. She tucks them into her underwear drawer and gives me a saucy look as she pats the dresser. She was looking forward to seeing them too.

"Hey, the place is really coming t-together." I say as we head back.

"Yeah. The place was in great shape, way better than we expected. We're pretty much ready to open already." She says as she rummages around the garage to find us some gloves. "Even the sign is early. Everything is just...happening!" She shoves my pair into my hands and soon we are outside again.

"You coulda at least unstrapped'em." Winona gripes to her father as she loosens the tiedowns.

"Gorilla not understand tiedown. Ooo oo oo!"

Winona rolls her eyes and pulls the top sheet from the pile as Amos regales the driver with an embellished account of the breakfast he'd had to pay for. One by one we carry each sheet to the front of the business where I could see along the front wall near the roof a row of mounts already put up. As we work we talk and laugh about me getting shanghaied into this. Minutes pass like seconds until we slide the final one from the bed.

Amos pats the truck's hood. "Catch ya later Daryl."

"Yep."

Amos falls in behind us as the driver heads on his way, a curious Brutus bobbing along in his big mitt. It made me so happy to see Mama's runt find a loving owner. Winona and I had barely set down the last one when her dad already had pulled a box cutter from his pocket and held it out to her.

"Let's see'em then."

Winona rolls her eyes again at him getting us to do everything while he did nothing but her excitement to see the signs herself overrode any objections. She cuts open the first one along the edge and tears it open. What is revealed is a big, glossy red 'E'.

"Oooo." Winona runs a hand down the letter. "Nice."

"Look perfect size too. I was worried they'd be too big."

"No way, they're perfect." She takes the letter and walks down the end of the building it and sets it leaning against the building under the furthest mount.

She moves onto the next one, a 'G', then sets it next in line against one of the bay doors. And so it goes until we watch 'GARAGE' slowly spelled out in reverse. Next is an 'S', which I help Winona place, along with an apostrophe. As she moves to open the next one I notice Amos looking at me with a big old grin on his face. He shoots me wink though I hadn't a clue as to why.

As Winona opens the next sign she stops and looks at the giant 'N'. "Shit! They fucked it up."

"Did they?" Amos asks, a twinkle in his eyes.

"Well shit. I'll call'em and..."

"Hold on." He says. "Let's see what it spells first."

She gives her dad a long suspicious look before carrying on.

"I." She announces at the next one then hurries to the last without even placing this one. She tears the last one open then steps back to look at the row of letters. "W? WIN'S? What? Win's Garage? That doesn't make..." She lets out a gasp as meaning hits her like a lightning bolt. She turns and looks at her father in disbelief. "That was supposed to be Amos' Garage! What!? Win's!?"

"Short for Winona." His already wide smile grows even more. "Surprise."

"NO!" She exclaims then launches a forceful shove into her dad's chest. It would have put most men on their ass but with Amos it barely backs him up a step. "NO! NO WAY! Get outta here!" She looks back and forth between the signs and her grinning Pops.

"Yep. Definitely a mistake." He says in mock grimness. "I hope they've got a return policy."

"But...but..." Winona effusive surprise was swiftly transforming into tears. "Noooo!"

"Come here kid." He passes me Brutus and opens his arms wide.

Head down, tears flowing, Winona steps into her father's embrace. He wraps his huge arms around his daughter enveloping her in an all-encompassing dad hug. In that one instant I could see their whole life together. From the moment he first held her as a helpless infant, to a rambunctious toddler, to a willful girl, and now as the dynamic woman she was I saw the pure love of father and daughter play out before my eyes. It was simply the most beautiful thing I had ever seen.

"But...this was your dream Papa." She sniffles, her voice small and meek. "This place was your dream!"

He shrugs and pets her long hair. "Any dream worth havin is a dream worth sharin. So ya like it?"

"Like it? Like it!?" She pushes off of him and heaves a punch into his gut, which he just laughs off. "You big...stupid...gorilla!"

"Ooo oo oo!" He scratches his head ape style.

Winona throws herself back into her father's arms and hugs him around his neck, planting a big kiss on his chubby cheek. "I love you Pops!"

He closes his eyes and squeezes his kid tight. "Love you too Winnie-bear."

***

Chapter 79

This was beautiful. This was wonderful. There was such a warm and wholesome feeling surrounding this incredible moment and I felt so very blessed to have witnessed it. But this moment was theirs. I keep my distance and pet Brutus' soft head to let them have it without distraction.

After their hug they approach the letters and start talking about how they're going to set them in place. I wait for a pause. It comes when Amos opens up one of the bays then heads into the shop to grab a power wrench for the sign's bolts. I take the opportunity to sidle up beside to Winona and say. "I'm going to go t-take my walk now. Unless you guys n-need some help."

"Ah. We got it covered Sprout." She puts an arm around me and gives me a squeeze. "Can you believe this? I almost feel guilty making him pay for breakfast." After a second. "But not really."

I giggle. "He's a good dad."

"The very best." She says as proud as a daughter could be. With a hard kiss to my head she pats my shoulder. "When should I start to worry?"

"Worry?"

"How long are you going to be?"

"Oh." I say. "C-Couple hours? I should be b-back by lunch."

"That long?"

"Sometimes it's a c-couple days."

"Good to know." She kisses me again. "I'll miss you."

I smile. "I love you."

She smiles too. "Say it again."

"I love you."

"Say it loud."

"I love you!"

"In French!"

"Uhhh...la louuve de vouuu. Oui oui."

"Ha ha ha! You make my heart happy Sprout." Closing her eyes she holds me close, her face buried in my hair, then whispers. "Tecihila." I had never heard that Sioux word before yet I understood the meaning just by the way she said it.

I sigh happily and say one last time with feeling. "I love you."

"Mmmm." She pats my bottom. "Now get outta her before you have to see me blubber again."

With another giggle I give Brutus a nuzzle then set him down and watch him bound off toward the sounds of Amos' rummaging. Adorable. After thanking Amos again for breakfast and grabbing my jacket from Winona's truck I walk around back. I had intended on feeding Mama and the other kitties but I see that someone had beaten me to it. This brightens my already happy mood. They were in good hands. I walk briskly for the row of old cars that lined the back of the property to stop by for a quick visit with my feline friends before I headed out.

I find the young ones at play behind a rusted Buick as their watchful mother lounged at the edge of the long grass. The kittens mew and rub against my legs as I kneel to pet Mama. She stops me, her nose sniffing like mad as she smelled my hands.

"You're smelling Brutus." I say softly. "He's okay Mama. Your little boy is okay. Amos is going to look after him now. He's such a good d-dad. The b-best ever." I giggle. "His name is Brutus now. Can you b-believe that? Brutus!" She rises and arches her back for a pet. I stroke her from head to tail. "I...I think I'm g-gonna be okay too Mama. Winona is...um...she's...how can I even...? I love her Mama." I pet the old feline as she passes back and forth in front of me to receive them. "I really love her. It's just like G-Grandpa said it would be. She m-makes me feel...whole. Real. Brave. She makes me feel like...me. I c-can't really describe it. I love her and w-want to be with her." Leaning closer I lower my voice to share a secret. "I think...I think I'm going to ask her m-marry me." Mama meows. "I know! I know. It's too soon. It's way too soon." I sigh. "It won't happen for awhile. I know. I've got so much to do before I deserve her." My voice begins to tremble. "B-But, you see, I...really...want...G-Grandpa to b-b-be there. I want...him...to be there." I gasp. "He's s-s-sick M-Mama. Real bad. Real, real bad. As b-bad as it g-gets." I sniffle and wipe the tears from my eyes. "Hahhh. Sorry."

I take some deep breaths as I pet her sleek coat and recollect my emotions. Having had so little sleep last night my feelings were sitting right at the surface.

"Hohhh. Grandpa's got can...c-c-c-cancer Mama." Another deep breath. "Lung c-c-cancer." I struggle with another breathe as my chest tightens. "And I w-w-want him...us...to sing at...the wedding...s-s-so it's g-gotta be soon. I can't w-w-wait t-t-too long because...because..." Tears roll down my cheeks too fast to wipe away. "Sorry. Sorry. I'm t-tryin to be strong but...it just hurts." I thump my chest with my fist. "It hurts real bad Mama." I cry for a little bit before pulling myself back together again. "I've never been so happy and sad all at once. There's so much happening." I wipe my nose. "And I didn't even t-tell you that I'm gonna be an uncle. If it's a g-girl they're going to make her middle name Avery. Is that cool or what? I think it's cool. I'm g-gonna be the b-best uncle I can be."

Mama stops and sits. Looking up at me she tilts her head.

"This?" I touch my cheek below my eye. "J-Jack. Yeah. It was J-Jack. He b-beat me up ag-gain. He was j-just mad because he th-thought I did s-something bad." As I fall silent for a few minutes to pet her and scratch behind her ears my tears dry. "Th-That's one of things I have to do f-first." I whisper. "I'm...I'm g-gonna stand up to J-Jack. I'm g-gonna tell him that he c-can't hit me anymore. For real." I swallow and wipe my nose. "This stupid, stupid, stupid bruise. It made Grandpa upset. It almost ruined our whole game. We were having such fun! You shoulda s-seen me Mama. I really played an elf! And I w-was good! Everyone w-was happy with me. Until..." I sigh and lightly rub the bruise. "It made Kayla sad. It made everyone l-look and s-say things and f-feel bad for me. It made Amos think I w-was a fighter. It m-made Winona so mad! She was so angry! It made us h-h-have our f-first argument." I take another deep breath. "Never again. It will n-never happen again. It c-can't happen again. If I d-don't do something...Winona might get hurt. I'm g-gonna make him stop now Mama." Mama rubs her face against my knee and arches her back against my stroking hand. "Yeah. I'm s-scared too. But it's gonna be okay. It's gonna be okay Mama." Leaning down I hug my feline confidante and share some of the pets around to the rambunctious kittens around us. "I gotta go, okay? I love you. I love you all."