A Welders Tale Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Pete and Blair eventually set up in an apartment close to us, within six months Blair broke the news she was pregnant. Robin had looked for a reason to retire early and this seemed to be the perfect excuse! Robin informed the school she would be retiring after the end of the school year. Blair carried full term, during the summer a beautiful pair of twins were born, Megan and Alexis. Baby showers, congratulations and pictures filled the early days of the event.

Chad too was moving forward with his life. He had met and married a wonderful young girl named Mia shortly after Blair and Pete got hitched. Things were going well for the family it seems. Robin and I were together, Blair and Pete starting a family, Chad had just gotten married.

Looking back I remember the one Sunday Robin had everyone over for a party. Chad and his wife Mia (now pregnant herself) Rachel, Sparky, Jack, Marie were all in attendance. After the meal Chad, Pete and I walked out to the shop we used to work in together. Sparky was at the house talking to Rachel, Jack and Marie. The three of us reminisced about the things we did in that shop. As we started to leave I looked up just under the large tree, on the picnic table, Robin was holding Alexis, Blair holding Megan.

"Peter I am so happy for you, the baby's are adorable! I hope you are as lucky as I am, my kids are the best thing that ever happened to me." I gently gave Chad a nudge in recognition. "You have made me a very happy grandfather."

Peter looked to Chad for just an instant their eyes met in a very sober way. The hesitation was brief but perceptible.

"Ah, thanks David that means allot coming from you." Peter replied looking at me in a suspecting manner. He then looked at Chad I could now see I was missing something. Duh, David I thought to myself, of course, Chad is a bit jealous Pete had the first grandchild!

"Don't worry Chad just because he got there first doesn't mean your new addition won't be just as welcome!" I teased.

I left them standing there talking as I walked back towards the house stopping to talk to Robin, Mia and Blair. I watched Robin holding Alexis and she was in heaven. Blair was looking back at Peter and Chad her smile was missing.

"Is everything ok down there?" Blair was still focused on her brother and husband.

"Sure why not?" I glanced back they seemed to have stopped talking when I did so."Just reminiscing about the "old" days in the shop. That and how happy I feel being a grandpa!" I said to Blair.

"I think your brother is a bit jealous you and Peter had kid's first that's all." I added.

Blair looked at Robin and she was no longer smiling now also. Blair stood and asked Mia if she would mind holding Megan for a few minutes. Mia gladly accepted, Blair walked down to the two men now talking again. I kissed each of the babies and headed up to the porch to talk with Frank and Sparky.

Marie and Rachel walked in the opposite direction heading over to where Robin and Mia were setting. I sat down on a chair on the porch across from Frank. I looked back down at the shop. Blair was waving her arms, something got her animated. Peter looked up in our direction he said something to Blair and Chad, they moved into the shop out of sight.

"Is there a problem?" Jack asked.

"Nah, just a bit of sibling rivalry. You know the younger sister the first to have babies." I explained.

Jack looked at Sparky he gave him the same look Peter gave Chad. I wondered if I had a sign on my back or something. It was a perfect day to just do nothing but relax and hang with friends. Still when they had all left I looked to Robin and let out a sigh of relief.

"Are you ok honey?" Robin looked at me with concern.

"Sure, you know me, not a big crowd kind of guy!" I explained noticing her concern.

"Are you sure that's all, nothing upsetting you?" Robin was listening carefully to me, she could read me like a book, and whatever she was looking for was missing.

"Nah, sometimes I don't know how you do it, all of the arrangements, the cooking, the cleaning, entertaining you are amazing!" I kissed her then focused on her. Then it hit me, she was hiding something from me, I can read her also! "Are you going to tell me what it is?"

Robin looked surprised at first then fear set in.

"I don't know what you are talking about?" She tried to play it cool but I could hear the uncertainty as she spoke.

"Well when you do can we talk about it then!" I kissed her again letting her know I was dropping it for now. Robin kissed me back accepting my decision.

"You go ahead, I'll finish here." Robin offered.

"No way, we are finishing this together, then we have something else to work on together!" I teased her.

"You are such a good man, I am so lucky to have you!" Robin kissed me long and hard.

We finished cleaning up then headed to the bedroom.

Blair began dropped the kids off each morning and Robin watched them as she continued with her college courses. Each night she would pick them up and take them home sometimes having dinner with us. January brought a new bundle of joy my first grandson Chen, named after Mia's father. Over the next couple of years they added David (after me) and a daughter named Kim to the family. Life was good and getting better. So I thought.

When Megan and Alexis were not yet four it slowly dawned on me that day care had become a mute point as they now occupied their own rooms upstairs. I am not sure how it happened but we now had two toddlers living with us full time.

Chad and Mia still dropped off the kids and picked them up each day with few exceptions. I assumed Peter was on a mission out of the country since he was gone months at a time. I was not privy to the details and knew better than trying to find out. Robin loved the little tykes and as usual I had a soft spot for baby girls.

Soon Blair herself was staying at night mostly on weekends. Blair showed no signs of unhappiness so I thought little of it. Robin was happy to have her around and so was I. Why should she stay in an empty apartment when we had plenty of room?

At times I was concerned it would be too much for a woman of sixty plus years. Far from it for me to suggest she back off a few days, I knew the lord himself could not tear these kids from her daily life. Robin did not look like a grandmother let alone the great grandmother she actually was. Robin never worked out a day in her life but she ate right and was always active. Her slender figure and personal grooming took ten or more years from her age.

When the oldest two started school I thought it would slow down but when a new minivan was purchased, Robin's taxi service started up. Bert Andrews came up with interesting projects every so often but I still worked for Mr. Clark and his company. The last year I was called back to the main shop full time. I preferred working at home so I semi retired from the shop only working there two to three days a week. I still did some work at home on my off days, this allowed me to make some money and keep an eye on the grand-kids when Robin was shuttling the others.

The grandchildren would get off the bus at our house or Robin would pick them up from school for sporting events. There was always someone over, coming and going, dropping off and picking up. Most week nights the large dining room table was filled with family and friends. Blair was teaching now, and was the first adult to arrive, she would meet me on the new couch (The old chair now gone) and together we would watch the five o'clock news. At five thirty dinner was started, I was in charge of cleanup with one unlucky grandchild.

Blair and Chad talked to me often about how much time Robin spent with the kids. I assured them as long as we had time for our vacations and a few nights alone for dinner and a movie they would get no complaints from me. Sometimes we took the whole family. The zoo and the local pool when they were young then theme and water parks, camping, and much more as they got older. I am getting ahead of myself but summers were always a great time.

I found great pleasure watching Robin interact with the kids she was the one that would always go on the scariest rides or the tallest waterslides. Robin was tireless playing, helping with homework and learning about their daily lives. The grandchildren were still too young to be in the shop but occasionally Alexis and Chen would wander out to help me. At times I even daydreamed what it would have been like if Robin would have been around when I was growing up. Any sadness soon disappeared when I remembered what I received in exchange late in my life. I wouldn't change a thing.

Three days after Blair's twenty seventh birthday party Robin went into the doctors, two months later the diagnosis was confirmed. After major surgery and chemo and more tests the future was uncertain.

Robin handled it with bravery and determination. If it was possible we were closer now than ever. She made it through this time but we both knew the future was uncertain. Both Chad and Blair stepped up offering their complete support.

Blair was spending more and more time at the house, supposedly to help with Robin and the kids. Then the news broke that Peter was leaving, moving out of the country to take a position with the company overseas. Blair explained they would be getting a divorce.

Peter and Blair's was a unique relationship, I could never put my finger on it but they never really seemed to fit. Peter was a great guy as far as I could tell, I had worked with him when he first started with the company. Peter met Blair here at the house, they dated briefly then married. I never heard her say a bad thing about him. He always seemed to take care of her and the kids financially but was seldom home. For me it was not a surprise, hell I seemed more of a father to Megan and Alexis since Pete was always away.

Yet somehow there was something missing between Blair and Peter all along, if you ask me it was passion. Since my relationship with Robin was so secret, and the line of work I was in was confidential, I guess I never really tried to find out why. Their divorce was more than amicable it was downright pleasant. If anything Blair seemed happier, Peter and the whole family remained on very friendly terms, inviting him over on the rare occasions he was in town.

I know these things go on each day but when it happens to your family it's never easy .Blair now a professor had the summer off from the university where she was teaching and spent most every day with Robin. Robin was doing much better, her chemo ended months ago, but she still tired very easily. Not only that but she seemed to be distracted lately as well. I knew her better that anyone but Rachel, something was bothering her. It was like she wanted to say something but couldn't seem to find the right moment. I tried to be accommodating, a couple of times I think she was close, but always seemed to hold back at the last minute.

Robin's cancer was a definite wakeup for what we hold dear and what is just stuff. I have been a very lucky man these past twenty or so years, but you can only dodge so many bullets. I still remember the call I got one day while I was working in the shop out back, it was Chad. Chad Clark, Sparky's dad. He wanted to be the one to tell me Sparky had died. He could not tell me how, I guess it really didn't make a difference. It was years before I learned the truth.

I asked him if they had told Rachel. He said that he was hoping I would do it in person before she learned from some other source. Mr. Clark was out of the country and felt a phone call would be inappropriate.

I took Robin and Blair with me, Rachel knew the moment she saw me and the two of them crying what had happened. I left them both there that night. Rachel was devastated for many months, I offered to have her move in with us. She refused of course but thanked me for the offer. He was more than a friend he was like an older brother I never had.

Fourth of July brought a big gathering of friends and family. Frank and Marie came with most of their kids and grandchildren. Robin spent the day watching the grand kids with their friends playing about. Marie and Blair handled all of the meal preparation. It was dark before the last of them left to go watch the fireworks on the edge of town. Robin was almost sixty five and for the first time started to look more her age.

Her body may be frail but her spirit was always strong. You never talk about what can happen when someone has been this sick, positive thinking is a part of keeping hope alive. There was no certainty but for us hope was alive, the response to treatment had been better than encouraging her last check up was clean. Still the reality is always there for a relapse. She was uncommonly quiet something I attributed to her hectic day. I went to the bathroom and took care of my personal grooming and change into my pajamas. I entered the bedroom I picked up my financial magazine and started to read.

"David can we talk?" I looked to Robin she had tears flowing down her cheeks.

"Are you all right?" I put the magazine down and turned to her.

"David I'm scared, I need to tell you some things, but I am scared to!" All I could think of is she had some news about her health she was hiding from me.

"Robin it is ok to be scared, I am scared too, but if something is wrong we will find a way to deal with it."She looked confused for a moment. "We will find another doctor we can go to the best!"

"No David what I have to tell you is much worse!" Now I was really concerned. What could be worse than her health? She started with.

"David you have been a wonderful son............" I knew this was bad, we had not brought up our true relationship for a long time, basically since we had been married. "..... you are a wonderful father, but most of all you are a wonderful husband, and by that I include lover. For as long as you have known me, you know Rachel has a special place in my heart. Yet you have never once asked me about it. Not once have you hinted, not even teased me. Yet I am sure you know at times when I go over there, or she here we do more than talk." Robin smiled but still she was uneasy in the way she did it. A weight was lifted, if that's what this is all about we have no problems.

"Robin I knew Rachel was part of your life before me, and I want her to be part of your life with me. Am I curious yes, but I love you, and Rachel being part of your life is who you are. Besides you always make me feel like I am the most important person in your life when we are together."

"David please stop you are just making this harder!" Robin looked at me not with anger but with humiliation. "There is someone else I need to talk to you about!

Someone else? Who could that be I thought to myself?

"Who?" I asked. Then it hit me just as she said it.

"It's Blair!" Robin saw my concern.

"David please just listen, there are many things I need to tell you, many things. It will not be easy for me or you, this I know, but please just listen. Promise?" It was all I could do not to interrupt but with age comes certain wisdom, one of which is patience, I could react later, and facts are what I wanted now.

"Promise." I replied. I looked back at Robin and assured her I would hear her out.

"Blair has been living a lie for over six years, Rachel has been part of it, I have been part of it, and to some extent Sparky had been part of it. Now his part is small, namely keeping the secret. How he found out I am not sure, we did not tell him, that we do know. Blair thinks he figured out the eyes."

"The eyes?" I asked, I was more confused than ever just bringing up Sparky's name shocked me. He knew a secret and did not tell me, it brought a smile to my face, that would be like him.

"David please!" I acknowledged my outburst and had her continue. "Blair has brown eyes, Peter has brown eyes. The twins have bluish green eyes much like mine. Brown is a dominate gene eye color, blue is a recessive gene. If both parents have brown eyes the children will have brown eyes. She hesitated......., however if one parent has blue eyes..........., such as yours and the other parent has brown eyes such as Blair then the children of the parents can have blue, or in this case bluish green eyes or brown." Robin stopped talking letting me try to understand what she was talking about.

"Robin what exactly are you trying to tell me?" My voice trailed off. Again she answered just as it started to sink in.

"David! Megan and Alexis are your daughters!" Robin informed me.

Stunned was an understatement, blown away was still too tame. I was floored.

"But that is not possible, Robin I swear I never! I mean she is beautiful and sexy and...... The only time we were even undressed was ...... you were there! You know I never even kissed her! " I was starting to defend myself, trying to recall if by chance I had a drunken night I did not remember.

"And the mother of your children, and no you did not, we did, more specifically I did!" Robin was crying a river as she looked on at my disbelief. "I will tell you how first and then the why but please hear me out before you say anything. Remember you promised!"

"PROMISE? You tell me this and expect me to stay silent?" I was losing my temper, never a good thing.

"David do you want to know or not?" She wept. I thought long and hard.

"Ok, I will try.......... Tell me." I really did not have much choice.

"Blair has always loved you, not just as a father but as a man. Remember when she turned eighteen? Rachel and I took her on a weekend trip. She confided in us her true feelings for you. I made her a promise if she could wait until the time was right, I would help her with her with her quest. That one night, the one years ago. Well it was kind of a test of sorts, she agreed that you were not ready. A few years later she wanted to try again but I did not think the time was right. The compromise was that I would help her get pregnant with your sperm. The same sperm we had frozen years earlier when you had your surgery."

I had to think back to when I had my prostate removed. Robin continued.

"Blair had helped Peter out of a few jambs, and in return he agreed to stay quiet when he learned she was pregnant. By agreeing to act as the father it provided him with his needed cover. Financially they were comfortable, so as long as was convenient they stayed married. You see David, Peter is gay, he always has been." Robin said. Personally I have nothing against gays, but to hear I was that clueless was just another blow to my ego.

"Robin I didn't know!" I replied trying to defend myself.

"That is why Blair stays here, why the kids live here, she wants to be around you, and she wanted your children to be around you. Peter has been in a relationship for years, which is what Blair had helped him cover up. When I got sick he was worried I might pass on and Blair would be free to have you for herself. The opportunity came up for Peter and his partner to start fresh overseas in a place that is a bit more accepting of that lifestyle. That is why the divorce has been so smooth."

Deep down I always knew he was different. I could see how he might be gay, but he never let on. I kind of smiled inside knowing he hid it so well. I was more intrigued than mad now.

"Now the why, first why did I deceive you, you of all people are the innocent one here, you and the children. I could tell you it was because Blair threatened to blackmail me, which I knew she would never do. Or that I was afraid she would try and drug you and do it some way herself, they...we had many crazy plans." Robin moved from her side of the bed, she straddled my legs facing me sitting on my lap.

"But the truth is I wanted to do it, I wanted her to have your kids, I wanted you to give Blair something she has dreamed about since she set Chad up for the fall to bring you home to us. I wanted to repay her for all of the happiness you have given me, and them since that day. I knew you would never agree to it, no more that you would fuck your own mother, but you did. You fulfilled my dreams to make me the proudest, luckiest and most loved woman I ever dreamed about."