All Comments on 'Afterglow'

by norafares

Sort by:
  • 152 Comments
MsCherylTerraMsCherylTerraabout 4 years ago

Lovely story as always! 5 stars, and not just because I'm biased ;)

Bebop3Bebop3about 4 years ago

Brilliant story, Nora.

steeltiger01steeltiger01about 4 years ago
Amazing

Nora, does everything you type turn to gold? Road story, yes, but also a gorgeous, sprawling love story. Your characters are people, real and breathing. Watching them become more than what they were makes this an incredible ride.

Thank you for sharing your talents.

tizwickytizwickyabout 4 years ago

Absolute masterpiece, extremely well written! I loved every part of it and the story deserves to be continued. There are many chapters left to be written of Ellie's and Ahmed's revenge and their eventual triumph. Thanks for sharing and keep up the great work!

BarryJames1952BarryJames1952about 4 years ago

Marvelous. Every sentence pulls you to the next one. You feel pulled to read it. You have to know what is next. Your brilliance as a writer amazes me. Thank you for sharing your incredible talents.

moorejomoorejoabout 4 years ago
Another great read from norafares

I really enjoyed this story and as always, the writing and character development are excellent. I would have liked to see Sergio get what's coming to him, particularly if Ellie was the one dealing out the pain, but like Mick says, "You can't always get what you wa-ant. But if you try sometimes, you get what you need!"

Your really captured the range of emotions for both main characters, from tough, vulnerable, scared, pissed, it was really a pleasure to read. As always, I can't wait for the next one.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago

Oh, hell yes! Thank you. Thank you very much.

linnearlinnearabout 4 years ago
Simply Amazing

Such a good story, nice development of the plot and enough back story to feel involved in it.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Only on page two as of now...

But had to come here and leave a comment commending you on the attention to detail given to life and culture of South Asia. Brilliantly done. I suspect you are related to someone from Pakistan, aren't you? :D

AngelCherysseAngelCherysseabout 4 years ago
Hope indeed!

I have seen so much junk of late. It sometimes seems like all my old favorite authors are gone and not replaced. Then I read a gem like this story and my faith in good, solid, thought-provoking storytellers is restored. Just as some stories deserve less than one star, this one, and its author, deserve more than five.

tangoperutangoperuabout 4 years ago
Outstanding story, but...

Next time make somebody else read it before posting, in order to catch the typos and malapropisms. Otherwise, it was a great story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Interesting and well crafted....

I've been to virtually everyplace mentioned. Rather naive about Islam, and there are few more wretched, barbaric places than Pakistan.... it's also a problem with the plot that the woman wasn't just put on a plane to Pakistan. There's no obvious reason for the extended "journey". Still, this is vastly better than what we normally see here and, as other have said, far more entertaining.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Great job

Great geographical details

Great character development

When does sequel post?

gatorhermitgatorhermitabout 4 years ago
What an incredible story

The last three paragraphs of this story are about as powerful as anything I have ever read. I hope this couple can pop out a few more rug rats to go with their brood.

BurntRedstoneBurntRedstoneabout 4 years ago
Amazingly well crafted story!

Damn.

The intriguing story, the depth of the characters, the tight pacing, the meticulous world building, the intense tension, the unleashed emotion...

Damn.

Solid work, Nora.

HDVictory1HDVictory1about 4 years ago
Fantastic

Thank you for another wonderful story.

Love the internal struggle of both main characters as well as the redemption theme. Satisfying journey down the highway.

boatbummboatbummabout 4 years ago
So What Happened To The Drop?

Was she set up by Sergio? By the competition? By the cartel?

Maybe I missed the answer to this puzzle but it nagged at me all the way through the story.

Wonderful story, thanks for sharing it with us.

chastenchastenabout 4 years ago

That was very well done. Thank you.

BaggyUKBaggyUKabout 4 years ago
Nothing else to say...

I think all of the superlatives have already been used...how about speechless with admiration ☺ 5*. Thank you very much.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Truly great story with......

Unanswered questions. How will they escape Sergio and the father in law. How long before he can't handle the peace? Let's get to work on the next chapter! 5*

dwoelfledwoelfleabout 4 years ago
Completely Awesome

Two anti-heroes totally captivate you in this outstanding story. A brilliant piece of writing. Should be 6 stars.

DFWBeastDFWBeastabout 4 years ago
Outstanding!

Nora,

Very beautifully done! Thank you for the most enjoyable read!

Killian

tkh3nkey2110tkh3nkey2110about 4 years ago
Great action / adventure, and romance all rolled into one

Well crafted characters. Locale descriptions are superb. Action sequences are well done. A really wonderful story. A 5 Star Rating.

BigJohn601BigJohn601about 4 years ago
This was the first of your stories I have ever read....

But I promise you it will not be the last. Very well written. Thanks.

LordSlamdawggLordSlamdawggabout 4 years ago
Bulletproof Plotting Internationally Gallivants with Byzantine Method

I have read a number of wonderful and skilled stories thanks to this Highway Song event. So far this is the best.

Ergo the obvious score

Full marks *****

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Been to Pakistan and Turkey... Amazing Detail.

They are both absolutely wonderful and beautiful places. Don't know what that idiotic anonymous comment above is all about, the people are just as wonderful. Thanks for catching the cultural details Nora. Think I got the hots for Ellie. Your writing is too good to be true.

CaOldDogCaOldDogabout 4 years ago
Awesome

What a great story - not the usual on this site, much better! I give stories full marks 5* sometimes but, this story is way above that. Thank you for the story!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
One of the best I’ve ever read on this site.

All that I can say is thank you very much! *****+

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Category

Why is this story in loving wives? Great story.

CaOldDogCaOldDogabout 4 years ago
Follow on story?

You left us wondering what happened with Ellie's initial drug drop and why she was being followed on the plane on her last trip. One could guess that a rival to Sergio's gang had intercepted the drop and that they were following Ellie to get to the supplier? A follow on story could elaborate on this and then on Sergio's and the old man's plotting and our hero's response. This story was fantastic as a stand alone so while continuation is not necessary, your readers might enjoy it a whole lot ;-)

teedeedubteedeedubabout 4 years ago
Extraordinary

All of these 'Highway' stories have been over the top, but this one is so very different. Thanks for a different view of the world. Great story.

terraknorterraknorabout 4 years ago

I don't have to words to fully describe how much I liked this story. Thank you for sharing with us. To answer the Anon who asked about "Why in Loving Wives" - Ahmad and Ellie married - and she, if not he, has accepted that they are truly wed. At least that is one of the feelings I take away from this story.

Crusader235Crusader235about 4 years ago
Wow

I've read hundreds of stories on lit, but never have I read a better adventure story. Five stars ain't enough. I can only hope there may be more to come for Ellie, Ahmed, and family. Thank you for it.

onlythelonelyloveonlythelonelyloveabout 4 years ago
Thank you

I very much enjoyed your work. I would add only that the cleanup at the end was a little too fast for me. When I had gotten to the start of page eight I was wondering how you could bring this to a conclusion that did not feel rushed. And the answer was that you chose to skip over some things such as extricating a child from the madrassa and the tension that would involve. And the moment of reconnection when he first sees his son again. That would be a challenging assignment. A lot went on in that thirty minutes ... yet I was also happy not to dwell with the tension at that moment, and I love a happy ending— even if there is a likely expiry date on it ...

tkh3nkey2110tkh3nkey2110about 4 years ago
Incredibly good read

I have not read a lot of Nora Fares, but with each new story that I read I get pulled in more and more. This is a totally new story line. I haven't seen anything similar to it. Nora has a great imagination and a nice touch with emotions. A 5 Star Rating. Thanks.

Hooked1957Hooked1957about 4 years ago
Brilliant

Great character development. Great emotion. Great story.

Another 5-star effort.

Thank you for sharing your talent.

Hooked

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Brilliant

Brilliant Story, brilliant writer and incredible RESEARCH to put this together. You are one of the best.

5 STARS IS NOT ENOUGH.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Really well written story, and what a clever way to cover your characters.

Not science fiction, probably social fiction. The two main characters are very interesting and compelling, but the reality is they are probably complete bullshit. So who knows how middle eastern assassins and West Coast drug mules normally behave? I suspect you have created westernized sanitized characters with exotic labels, but really made in China. Sorry, but I sense a fake. But its a perfect fake, because I am clueless how such people really live and act and feel. But I suspect its a bit less virtuous, totally self serving, and maybe just a tiny bit sociopathic? But of course, true love transforms monsters, right? Kind of a dark world version of Beauty and the Beast?

And it was a fun romance. Well, except for a few details. Like the female is a guiltless drug runner feeding the addictions and deaths of unknown thousands, and the male blows women's heads off because he sucks at math and doesn't like wearing suits, and it pays better. But they're all rehabilitated and loving normal spouses and parents now, like everyone else, in Wisconsin. Where the wife and siblings will blend right in. But is the Arab assassin and his son going to get bleached?

OK. Its fiction, without the science. Facial recognition surveillance financed by cazoodals of drug and Jihad money will probably totally miss them, like a sloppy pistol shot. I'm sure they'll live happily ever after. For as long as they can stay alive.

Thanks for the effort. It was fun. Oh, does shooting the organ harvester make up for shooting the "wrong" woman?

ewray321ewray321about 4 years ago
Great Story

Loved it. So many authors do not take us on a adventure any more. Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
A Great Yarn

One can only hope that your considerable talent continues to develop. One can see you in the future on the bestseller lists.

technofrog2002technofrog2002about 4 years ago

That was truly a fantastic work.

I was so enthralled that I could not put it down. The character development and the details were so well done they pulled you into the story. I applaud you for a job well done.

TheLoneStrangerTheLoneStrangerabout 4 years ago

Easily worth 5 stars!

Excellent story. I will be checking out your other work soon.

Freddog6601Freddog6601about 4 years ago
Excellent!

This is the first of your works I’ve read. It won’t be the last.

Well done.

patilliepatillieabout 4 years ago
Yes that’s a 5

Nice job-I really got into it, making the pages fly past. You have left it open for more stories involving these characters-and I hope you do so!

stev2244stev2244about 4 years ago

Great story, not just the plot and writing. I especially enjoyed to learn something about those countries. They are usually just a decorative background for war or terrorism stories. Now we could see some of the culture, cuisine and people. Well done.

ventureskrsventureskrsabout 4 years ago
Question?

As CaOldDog asked, what happened to the initial lost drug shipment and why were those bad guys looking all over for her in Turkey, Iran etc if all she was packing were her own organs?

Otherwise great character development and growth. 5 Stars

Rocket081960Rocket081960about 4 years ago
OUTSTANDING!

Very enjoyable! Thanks!

nestorb30nestorb30about 4 years ago

This was simply amazing

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Another wonderful tale!

Thank you for sharing your gift (again) ; )

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
A great story.

I have recently been reading LW stories and note that most of the highest scored stories actually could more easily be classified as romance, as this one could. I’ll still give 5*, something I rarely do, but feel it more a story of two people who fell in love and not a story primarily about a wife.

IrrumatioIrrumatioabout 4 years ago
Not really LW, but really great

Thanks.

Schwanze1Schwanze1about 4 years ago
Truly

Impressive. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Oh.My.Stars.

All 5 of them.

THANK YOU for sharing your immense talent as a story-teller with us!

TheShelbyTheShelbyalmost 4 years ago

everything was perfect , as if the author was travelled to all these places,, just wow!!!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Wooow

Started reading at midnight and read through the night till 5.30.

Worth it all Nora. 5.

Feedback. As an enthusiastic reader there are many potholes in organ kidnap closure.

Takes u away from the exquisite reality ur characters live in. Better to try harder to come up with a logical plot twist in the future . Cudos..

mingis1mingis1almost 4 years ago
Well done

Enjoyed the read... thanks

Ignore the gun comments

Keep writing

KenfromIndyKenfromIndyalmost 4 years ago
Don’t know how I missed this gem!

I don’t know how I missed this gem but impressive writing - storyline and characters.

I read it in several settings since work and sleep got in the way of my reading pleasure.

Well worth the time to read.

I will have to check and see what else this author has written. Impressive to break out so high in the LW list.

Please do Keep writing and I will keep reading!

rickydean56rickydean56almost 4 years ago
Please

Never stop writing. I have read all your stories even the LW which I normally skip. I can not get enough.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
As always, a really great piece

If you ever decided to publish a novel, I'd be one of the firsts to buy it. I love love all your work. Furthermore, as a muslim, I approve the depiction of islam in this story, though there's a tiny bit inaccuracy, no problem. I wonder if you are/were a muslim yourself. Anyway, can't wait for your next project!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Good story be very little sex

An engaging story but very little sex and what sex occurs is over quickly with little description.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
I like it a lot

My only question is how is this Loving Wives? I think it’s a romance

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Good Story

Same comment as anonymous on 06/19/20.

Might be wrong category. I think it’s a romance, but I might have missed it if you had put in romance category. Regardless, 5* story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Ridiculously great

Wonderful story, unique and compelling characters, absolutely loved it

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Great read

Throughly enjoyed this! The little details, such as the food and description of Islam in the context, it felt like I was traveling along with them. A bit more on how they worked thro his issues towards hope and acceptance that he is worthy of love would have been great.

PolyLvrPolyLvralmost 4 years ago
Jesus. Fucking. Christ!!! That was amazing. Again

Just..... wow

DoctimeDoctimealmost 4 years ago

Scary wow! What a captivating tale in so many ways. Well told and well written.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
5 stars great

but why is this in LW?

LT56linebackerLT56linebackeralmost 4 years ago
Great, Great, Great...

A good change from unlimited sex and gratuitous cheating. I kept waiting for the s...t to hit the fan, but it didn't. 10 stars( My math skills are getting better. Seriously. My granddaughter says soon I will be using flash cards. ) I hope there will be more about this family. Keep writing. The Bear approves. Allah Akbar .

The BEAR

dgfergiedgfergiealmost 4 years ago
GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT!

Hell of a story, action romance, commitment, courage. The story had it all. Keep writing

WhoGivesAShitWhoGivesAShitover 3 years ago

Excellent. I liked how their emotions weren’t overplayed. You immediately established that both were cool and analytical, and remained consistent throughout. I can’t comment on whether the characters were realistic, having never met or been a hit man or drug mule.

ChcanyonChcanyonover 3 years ago
Eat your heart out Clive!

It was a Clive Cussler book but with better sex scenes! Perfect!

garyr19680garyr19680over 3 years ago

Wow! Helluva story!

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Good

I lived in. Pakistan in the 1990s and you nailed it I knew Lahore and Islamabad well and have been to Muree to see the snow. Thank you for a great story, 5*.

eibirbeibirbover 3 years ago

An excellent story. Well developed characters struggling to new realities.

Keep up the good work.

EgregiousEgregiousover 3 years ago

What a ripping yarn, could not put it down. Stopped, halfway through for a cuppa tea and snack. Then read to the end. Love the line on page eight, "Who was this woman?" More, like this please.

NaiaTinkAbellaNaiaTinkAbellaover 3 years ago
EXCELLENT

Please write more

Clarissa72Clarissa72over 3 years ago
Wow!!!

That was simply EXCELLENT!!!🤗

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
WOW!!

What a story!!!! Couldn't put it down once I started....

InsigniaInsigniaover 3 years ago
If you are going to show us a gun...

I don't recall which of the regular commentors said that if your are going to describe a gun in a story you should make that a part of the plot or it is simply extra words. Hence, the feelings expressed by many that the botched drop should be resolved.

Otherwise, this story has some great characters that are developed nicely and we do root for them. The social studies lesson was a profound success. You also managed to work in a devout Muslim character without making him a cartoon. I was seriously amazed by the lack of comments regarding this aspect of the story. The human quality of the writing and the comments blew me away. Maybe LW gas changed since I disengaged in February 2020.

You really did a great job of taking the readers on a kickass journey to 3 continents, 6 countries and the Dells.

It is totally worth another installment. Maybe they could use those plane tickets to France? European Vacation meets Mr. & Mrs. Smith.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Impressive

This is beautifully constructed piece of writing with huge potential, please consider continuing the evolution of the relationships

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Wow

Fantastic story ,thank bebop3 for me finding you.Have read others of your stories.Will soon read them all.

immagetitimmagetitover 3 years ago
Beautiful beautiful one of the best on literotica.

Thank you for writing this

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
not impressed...

with the grammar.

lie, lay, randomly and incorrectly interchanged.

lots of other issues, but i did not record them.

i´ll leave it at that.

dgfergiedgfergieabout 3 years ago

Thank you the story was just as good if not better the second time around. Please ignore the negative comments from 'anonymous' readers, they have no balls. Keep going Nora, you have any more action type stories? Love

WretchedMonkeyWretchedMonkeyabout 3 years ago

Okay, so I started reading this because it's been rated pretty highly but the subject matter didn't originally appeal to me so that could well contribute to why I just didn't get into this. I reached near the bottom of the first page, the end of the introduction to the mule and the start of the Hitman's introduction, but I just didn't like any of the characters introduced so far or feel involved in the story. If 10% of the tale is over and I'm not invested or really interested in what's happening then I'm probably not going to read any further, and I didn't.

I didn't hate it, I just didn't get hooked. Not rated.

BriteaseBriteaseabout 3 years ago
Best story for yonks

Somewhat familiar with some of the places you write about, even though it was in a time when it didn’t seem so dangerous as now. Bought back a few memories though. It’s the smells that evoke the deepest feelings which somehow your story bought back to me.

I wonder what happened to that girl that I was with? She’d be a grandmother or more by now.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
Good story

It just kept getting better and better

etchiboyetchiboyabout 3 years ago
Holy sh*t !!! I’m glad I tumbled across this one.

What a tour de force. And its’s free! OMG Can’t say enough good things about this novella. So I won’t, except —

5-stars & Favorite

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Outstanding!

john_sixfooterjohn_sixfooterabout 3 years ago
Second read, simply wonderful

A lifetime ago, I spent a lot of time in the areas you covered. Then, again, about 20 years ago. You wrote well, Nora. Good research, great writing.

10 stars.

EverRestlessEverRestlessabout 3 years ago

What an amazing story. I’ve never been to that part of the world, but your description of it is very lively and captivating. You opened a new world to me. 5*, without a doubt.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Best author I’ve on here.

woodmanonewoodmanoneabout 3 years ago
Very well done

Excellent story young lady. Plot line is solid, characters are fleshed out and keeps the reader on the edge of his seat. Don't know why I just came across this but I'm glad I did.

Thank you for your hard work.

Woodmanone

PeytonMirabellePeytonMirabelleabout 3 years ago

Thoroughly delightful read. I'm no expert on the cultures depicted but the rich descriptions painted a very convincing, very vivid picture of the journey. Thanks for sharing this beauty!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

loved it.

Comentarista82Comentarista82almost 3 years ago

You excel at depicting the smells, action and thoughts of those characters you've created. To be blunt, I thought at first this would not be something that would engage me...but your quality writing won me over! I cannot believe all the detail provided in terms of foods, countries, places, as I recognized quite a bit of Turkiye through Istanbul with its places and foods; I am a little shocked you did not detail Iran more, as that is a varied country in some of its customs and foods. However, how you described Afghanistan and Pakistan so exceeded any expectations I had, as you managed to convey all the sights and sounds to titillate the reader--as if the reader were right beside Ahmad and Ellie.

What a spirit you placed into Ellie, breaking the typical 'mule' stereotype, as when I saw her reaching for la mota, I thought she was just going to a low-level stoner or something like that. I cannot be sure if you detailed that simply for misdirection, but it certainly worked to hide a much stronger side to Ellie we may not have expected at first glance. Yes, she was a survivor and yes, she paid attention to her surroundings...but to place her next to Ahmed made both of them nearly unstoppable. Best of all, she never lost her innocence (not the most important part) you hinted at when Ahmad appraised her once.

Odd how you spoke of Ellie and mentioned "grace" at some point with her: I felt like Ellie was more like "Grace" should have been in Renascence--although that would have betrayed the title of the work to a large degree. What this felt like is somehow you gave "Grace" a proper send-off in this title...even if you didn't mean to. We don't witness a true ending, but here too is a very good ending from Ahmed and Ellie, yet it feels like a more fleshed-out ending for Grace too. Sound like some odd conclusions? That is just how it hit me.

A hands-down 5. This one has to date impressed me the most in several ways.

SebastianFlynnSebastianFlynnalmost 3 years ago

Nora,

Clearly a can't put down story. You have a serious talent!! I hope to read more from you soon. This is so far my favorite of your works; the characterization, pace, detail.

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
usernorafares@norafares
Hi there, I’m Nora :) I write about flawed characters navigating their way through life, often falling hopelessly in love along the way. I grew up on 90s swoony Bollywood films, endless piles of cheesy romance novels, and obsessively rewinding that part where Matthew Macfayde...

SIMILAR Stories