Alex's Gifts Ch. 24

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
MagnusRhodes
MagnusRhodes
1,071 Followers

Alex began to feel his anxiety rise, he couldn't afford to mess up and have to spend the weekend retrying the assessments. He wouldn't miss the camping trip for the world, he hadn't looked forward to something so much in quite some time.

"Alright, let's get started," Emily said. "Faith, you know the drill."

Faith nodded and stepped forward. "Alex, what are the first three steps of our emergency action plan when a victim requires resuscitation?"

"Signal, rescue, and provide care," Alex said quickly.

"Natalie, what three steps do you take once the emergency is resolved?"

Thinking for a few seconds, she responded, "Report, advise, and release."

"Alex, what do you do if you see someone drinking alcohol on YMCA property?" Faith asked.

"Confiscate it and escort the offender to security."

Faith nodded. "Natalie, why is a proper scanning technique important?"

"You can't save what you can't see," Natalie said immediately, repeating the sentence that had been drilled into their heads during the first day of training.

Faith continued peppering the duo with a wide variety of questions for several minutes before rounding on Alex and asking, "What would you do if you couldn't save someone?"

"I'm sorry?" Alex asked. That wasn't the sort of question that their training covered.

"Please answer the question, Alex," Emily said.

"I don't think I've ever considered I couldn't save someone. I'd try my best and hope that it was good enough," Alex said hesitantly, hoping he wasn't missing an obvious answer.

Faith nodded and Alex let out a lungful of air. "Natalie, what do you do if you catch your colleague breaking the rules?"

"Is someone's life in danger?" Natalie asked, hoping she'd get some clarification.

"Someone's life is always in danger around water," Faith asserted.

"I'd report them to my supervisor on duty," Natalie said, inflecting her voice almost as if she was asking a question, betraying her uncertainty.

"Very good," Emily said. "You've both done exceptionally well with the handbook training. And I trust you to make the right decisions on topics we haven't covered. You have demonstrated sound judgement. Please see that you continue to exercise it while you are at station in this complex. Now, let's move on to the practical skills evaluation."

For the next hour Faith quickly demonstrated recovery and first aid techniques that they'd practiced in the previous days and then had either Alex or Natalie repeat what she'd done. None of it was new, but the pace at which they were forced to make decisions and act was much more realistic and stressful. Alex faltered on his first retrieval and had to retry, but once he had his nerves under control his instincts kicked in and he became as comfortable in the water as he'd ever been. Natalie was also thrown for a loop when Faith quickly changed the type of victim recovery in the middle of a retrieval, switching from a passive victim to a hostile one and pulling Natalie under the water. But she recovered, having practiced extensively with Max, and quickly regained control of the situation.

Panting from the non-stop exertion, Natalie and Alex climbed out of the pool together once Faith signaled they were finished.

Emily addressed them again with her clipboard in hand. "Very good. Nice adjustment Natalie, and great recovery after that first mistake, Alex." The pair grinned at the complements, knowing they'd put everything they had into the training exercises.

"The hard part's over, let's take a short break. Get changed and meet me in the classroom in ten minutes. Faith, please go relieve Max. And thank you for your help."

"Thanks, Faith," Natalie said, smiling at her new friend.

"Nice work guys!" Faith said cheerfully as she walked away to meet with her colleague across the large aquatics center at the public pool.

Back in the locker room, Natalie and Alex changed in silence. Both too focused and high on adrenaline to engage in conversation. Gathering his things from his locker, Alex left first and walked to the empty classroom. Max joined him moments later, almost as if he had planned the ambush.

"Hey man, heard you guys are doing well."

"So far so good. I'm hoping the worst is behind us," Alex said.

"It is. The CPR and first aid tests are pretty simple. Just do what Emily does and remember your training," Max said.

"Glad to hear it. This has been more stressful than I anticipated," Alex said.

"Not gonna lie, it can be a stressful job. But in short bursts, not like what you've been doing the past few days. So how's it going with you? Everything cool here?"

"Yeah, actually. After you talked to me earlier about Emily I kind of had it out with her. She was trying to get me to do things, you know how she is. I straight up said to knock it off. I think the point got across."

"I wish I had the guts to do that right away. Would have saved me some grief. I guess I've always been too much of a pushover with the ladies," Max said with a faint smile. "What about Faith?"

"What about her?"

"She talked to you about anything?"

"No, why?" Alex said, not knowing where Max was headed and not willing to break confidence with what she'd told him earlier that morning.

"I tried to get her to leave with me. I'm not trying to cause any drama, I just...she's the one thing I regret about quitting." Max was clearly torn by his decision.

"Ah, and I take it she turned you down?" Alex asked, knowing the answer.

"Flat out. I guess I shouldn't be surprised after everything we've been through over the years." Max sighed and hung his head.

"That's rough, but I honestly think you're doing the right thing from everything you've said. You need a fresh start. I know what that's like, it's why I'm here," Alex offered.

"That's the main reason I'm out of here in a week. But I just can't shake it. Will you do me a favor and talk to her? Maybe see if there's a way she'd reconsider?" Max asked with clear desperation in his voice.

"Nah, I can't do that, I hardly know her. If she wants me to tell you something, I will, but I'm not going to get in the middle of you two." Max had obviously wrapped himself tight around Faith's finger for some time. "Look, just go and do your thing. You'll forget about this place before long."

Max huffed and stood. "Alright bud, you're probably right. Thanks for the chat." He clapped Alex on the back and turned to leave.

"No worries, take it easy Max." Alex shook his head as the despondent lifeguard left the room. He couldn't help him, and he didn't want to. Max chose his own way and in doing so opened a new path for Alex. He was grateful, but had no reason to become embroiled in the man's own regrets.

Natalie entered moments later and noticed the concerned look on his face. "Something up?"

"Nah, not really. I'll tell you about it later," Alex said. "Ready to be done with this?" he asked, seeking a change of topics.

"I am, it's been a long week. We still on for Monday?"

"I'll call you when I get home from the airport. My mom's coming home, I'm picking her up at two. I have a laptop ready for you. We'll just need to get you set up with access to all the servers. There are a few jobs we can start with, small bugs you can help me fix for an old client."

"Sounds great. Are you glad to have your mom back?" Natalie asked.

"I am, it'll be interesting though. She's been gone for almost two months, a lot has happened," Alex said. He didn't even want to think about what challenges her presence would bring to his new life.

Emily entered several minutes later with a stack of papers in hand. She gave one to each trainee and then said, "This is the written part of your final test. It covers CPR, use of a defibrillator, and the basic first aid techniques we went over yesterday. You'll have thirty minutes to complete it and then we'll move on to the practical exam."

Alex flipped through the five-page test and breathed a sigh of relief as he read several of the multiple-choice questions. Marking his answers quickly, he finished in ten minutes and took some time to review while Natalie wrapped up her test. They handed in together and took their seats.

For the next half hour they watched Emily demonstrate first aid and CPR techniques. She called them up one at a time, asking questions to simulate a real-life scenario. Each small test ended with them performing a procedure on one of two dummies, one adult-sized and a smaller version meant to mimic a child. As Max had told Alex, it was simple going. Watch, learn, repeat and use the accumulated knowledge from the past week to make the right decisions. Both him and Natalie made a few slip-ups but quickly caught themselves and corrected, earning satisfied nods from Emily.

"Very good you two. Please give me a few minutes to grade your written tests," Emily said and then left for her office with papers in hand.

"Well?" Alex asked.

"Piece of cake," Natalie said, flashing him a toothy grin.

"Yep. No big deal," Alex sighed, finally able to relax. The weekend couldn't come soon enough.

"I talked to Lily yesterday. She seemed different, really happy, but wouldn't say why," Natalie said.

"I've noticed that too," Alex said, trying hard not to give too much away. "She's definitely turning the corner. I think her new job is helping. She can stay busy and have fun instead of moping around the house all day."

"Makes sense. I heard you guys are going camping this weekend."

"We're leaving this afternoon. I'm hoping Emily is okay with me taking the time off. We haven't talked about schedules yet."

"Faith said it's pretty flexible. I wouldn't worry about it. I'll be here, so I can cover for you. I definitely owe you one," Natalie said, smiling warmly.

"Thanks, Nat. I appreciate it a lot. I know this weekend means a lot for Casey and Lily."

"Sam said she's coming too. You know she's always had a big crush on you," Natalie added, smirking as Alex shook his head.

"I know. I like her too," Alex replied, blushing slightly as he thought of the last time he and Sam were together on his bedroom floor.

"You have to watch out for that one. She'll act shy until you get her in a corner and then you better hold on tight," Natalie said with a laugh.

Alex chuckled and said, "Reminds me of someone else I know." He stared at Natalie and waggled his eyebrows.

Natalie blushed and smiled at the floor. "You're impossible, you know. Yesterday wasn't even fair. You and Faith totally trapped me!"

"Hey, that was all Faith. Well, mostly." Alex snickered and then straightened up asking in a more serious tone: "Are you two seeing each other?"

Natalie sighed. "We're going out tonight."

"Good, I'm happy for you."

"Thanks, I didn't expect this to happen. I've never really dated another girl before, but maybe that's the change I need," she said, breaking eye contact and gazing unfocused at the floor in thought.

"If the scarecrow thing doesn't work out you can always just say you're playing for the other team. Although that might not have the intended effect."

"I'm sure of that. Guys can be such creeps."

"Tell me about it," Alex said, laughing softly in self-deprecation. He again grew serious and said, "One of Casey's friends came over this morning. A drunk guy came into her room last night and she was lucky to get away. Still ended up with a bruise on her face." Natalie's face twisted into a shocked expression as he continued, "Luckily her brother was home. The bastard's either in the hospital or jail now."

"Holy shit, that's horrible," Natalie exclaimed, her jaw hanging open and eyes wide in bewilderment.

"Yeah it is. I think she'll get over it though, she's strong. We might take her with us on the camping trip. If not, Carrie will look after her."

"That's good. Let me know if I can help. I've had more than one close call myself," Natalie said softly.

"Wow, Nat. I'm sorry. I know Lily also went through something years ago, she just told me about it. I can't believe how common that is, it's disgusting," Alex said while shaking his head and watching Natalie's shoulders droop. "When you talked about creeps before I was just thinking harmless flirting, maybe some obnoxious behavior, but nothing you couldn't walk away from."

"Yeah, well, now you know. It starts harmless, but you never know which guy's going to turn out to be an asshole. And it's not easy to talk about when it does happen. People don't want to listen and half the time they try to blame the girl for something she did, or how she dressed. That's almost worse than what could have happened."

"That's what Carrie said, about it being hard to talk about, I mean. If I can help, or if you ever need more than a scarecrow..." he left his offer hanging.

"Thanks Alex, you're one of the good guys. Even if you did trap me in the shower and have your way with me," Natalie said with a smirk.

"Hey now, I seem to recall saying you didn't have to do anything you didn't want to," Alex said in mock offense, glad that Natalie's mood was lightening.

"I know. I was kidding. But thanks, I did mean that part. What's her name? Casey's friend?"

"Sonya, she was at the party last weekend," Alex answered.

"Okay, give her my number and tell her to call if she needs someone to talk to."

"Will do," Alex nodded.

The two turned as the door opened and Emily re-entered the room with a smile on her face. "Congratulations, you're both officially lifeguards!" Alex let out a low whistle of relief while Natalie clapped and bounced in her seat.

"What now?" asked Natalie with evident excitement.

"We need to talk about scheduling. You are going to need to pair up with Faith or Max your first few times here so we'll need to stagger when you are on duty. I am also considering hiring another full-time lifeguard temporarily. Originally I wanted you two to fill in for Max, but with him leaving in a week I'm concerned Faith may be overloaded. In the meantime, I'll fill in as needed, but my time is also limited."

"Understood," Alex said. "Natalie and I talked. I can't work this weekend and am taking a trip out of town for a couple days next week, but after that, my schedule will open up."

"Yeah, I can take this weekend and whenever you need me next week," Natalie said.

"Alright, please write down your availability through next weekend and I'll sort it out. I want to keep you guys at around twenty hours to start, roughly two full and one or two half shifts. Depending on how that works out, we can adjust." Emily handed them each a piece of blank paper and a pen.

"Sounds good," said Alex while Natalie signaled her agreement with a nod. The two quickly scribbled their available times and handed the sheets back to Emily.

"Ok, Natalie I'll see you tomorrow morning at nine, meet up with Faith when you get here. And Alex you can start Monday for a half shift in the morning," Emily instructed. Then added, "Great work you two, glad to have you officially on board."

"Thanks!" Natalie said, then stood and gathered her things. "I'll see you in the morning. And I'll see you Monday afternoon, Alex. Have fun camping."

"Thanks, I will. See you later," he responded as Natalie strolled to the door and left him alone with Emily.

Alex expected his manipulative boss to make some overt advance now but was surprised when she simply said, "I'll be in my office if you need anything," before leaving the room. He was happy to see that she'd kept her word and stopped with the games. Rising, Alex re-entered the aquatics complex and sought out Faith. He intentionally avoided Max, not wanting to get drug into any more of his drama just then. Intending to find Faith for a quick engagement, Alex grew disappointed when she wasn't where he'd expected. They'd gotten done early, it was just past noon and he had time to spare for the svelte brunette who made it clear she wouldn't mind more of his attention.

Alex entered the employee locker room, the last place he knew to look, and smiled when he found Faith rinsing off under a shower. She was still wearing her typical red one-piece swimsuit that did everything to highlight her long legs. Her hair was bobbed short, which helped accentuate her graceful neck and strong jawline. She stood nearly as tall as Alex, easily topping six feet. He watched her silently from the doorway for a few more moments until she spun and caught him peeping.

"Enjoying the show?" she asked with her thin lips curled into a smirk.

"I am. That's okay with you?"

Faith shook her head and shrugged. "I don't know what it is about you."

"What do you mean?" he asked with a slight smile forming across his mouth.

"You're just easy to be around. Unassuming, undemanding, not like most of the guys who try to get close to me. Not like Max," she added, her lips now curling into a frown.

"He ambushed me in the classroom during our break. He wanted me to talk to you," Alex said. He hadn't planned on bringing him back up, but Faith was obviously still dwelling on their earlier discussion and needed to let it go.

"About?"

"The conversation you two had this morning. He sounded pretty mixed up about it, like he was desperate for someone to help. I felt bad for him, but I didn't say anything and told him I wouldn't get in the middle of it."

Faith sighed. "Thanks. I appreciate it. I thought guys were supposed to stick together. What's the saying?"

"Bros before hoes?" Alex said and laughed. "Nah, it's not like that, at least not in my limited experience. He just needs to let go, and getting wrapped back up with you isn't going to help."

"You're pretty wise for someone with limited experience," Faith said. Alex shrugged in response as she continued, "Enough about Max. Tell me, are you trying to get close to me?"

Alex nodded, unable to deny his attraction to the tall flirty lifeguard. "That okay with you?" he asked again.

Faith chuckled and shut off the water. "You used to be shy, didn't you? I can tell."

"Now look who the wise one is," Alex said.

Faith walked up to Alex and seductively ran a finger across his jawline while staring into his brown eyes. "I haven't been able to stop thinking about yesterday."

"That was a nifty little trap you set for Natalie," Alex said, breaking into a grin.

"Oh, my sweet boy. Natalie was the bait. You're the one who fell into my trap," she said, then leaned in and kissed him, immediately opening her jaw and sliding her warm tongue into his mouth. They danced together for several moments before Alex broke contact with a question itching his brain.

"Then why did you leave?" he asked, referring to Faith's abrupt departure from the shower that left him alone with Natalie.

"Natalie wanted you to herself. She used to be shy too, you know."

"She still is," Alex said. "Until you get her alone, anyway."

"I know, we covered that, remember?" Faith said. Alex had forgotten, his mind still struggling to keep up with all of his various erotic encounters. "But now it's just me and you," she added, biting her lower lip.

Faith reached out and took hold of his hands, moving them to her hips just below the seams of her swimsuit. "You mentioned something about magic fingers earlier," she said, raising her dark eyebrows in expectation.

"How magic do you want it?" Alex asked with a wicked grin, slowly sliding a hand around the front and back of her thighs.

"Surprise me," Faith said then leaned in and kissed him again.

Alex dragged his palms over Faith's wet swimsuit, meandering towards the center of her body. His left hand reached around her back and traveled slowly across her first, round cheek, skipping lightly over the seam that pulled tightly into her soft skin. His right hand moved at a hastier pace, circling her smooth thigh and coming to rest cupping her domed mound. He pressed firmly against her small spongy hill with his palm and curled his fingers. Stretching his middle finger, he slipped into her crease, her swimsuit giving way as her puffy lips folded around his long digit.

MagnusRhodes
MagnusRhodes
1,071 Followers