All That Glitters Ch. 34

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The Chief of Services stepped forward and received a missive to read to the crowd.

"Only mere mur ago, an attempt was made on the Kumaraie's life. The attack was thwarted by the presence of the Atohan and the Chlaerge who sounded the alarm before the attackers could surprise the Kumir-Rai.

"Many were injured in the defence of the Kumaraie. They will be given the distinction of being named Sai-Rai. This distinction will also go to Jarl-Het Sai-Ro, Raymond Clark Sai-Ro, Kim Oshiiru Sai-Rai, and Gillaya Sai-Rai.

"The Atohan, will not be given the distinction as her title supersedes the title of Sai, however, all should note that this is the second time that the Atohan has stopped an attack and possible coup against the throne.

"The Kumaraie will allow the Houses of those who have died to claim the bodies; however, the senior members of the House in Court will be required to again swear fealty to the Kumaraie, under the gaze of the Chlaerge, in order to claim those bodies," the Chief of Services declared.

The vid monitors were showing the bodies of the fallen, many were crying out when they saw them.

An elderly Pod-Drran came forward and knelt.

"My Kumaraie, members of my House are among the fallen. I do not know how it is that this Rai and Ro were convinced to join those who attacked you but I would ask to accept your generosity and claim the bodies for burial," he said.

The Kumaraie nodded to the Chief of Services.

"You may claim the body, Ro, but you must swear your fealty to the throne before all those who are here," he stated.

The elderly Ro stood, drew his Kaldar, knelt with his Kaldar held before him in both hands. "I, Gand, senior Ro of the House Shet, do swear my allegiance and the allegiance of the House Shet, to Kumaraie Na-Maj Se-Lam Pod-Raie," he said in a clear, strong voice.

The Chlaerge did not react, giving out sounds of sadness to the senior Ro for the losses of his House.

The Kumaraie stood. "Gand-Shet Ro, I accept your fealty and the fealty of your House. You may claim the bodies of the members of your House," she stated before all.

Gand-Shet rose and sheathed his Kaldar. He told the Chief of Services which of the bodies he wanted to claim, getting a nod in return. He bowed low to the Kumaraie and went to the two bodies he was claiming.

Another came forward, but this time, when the Rai attempted to swear fealty, the Chlaerge reacted badly. Immediately, members of the Kumir-Raie were there to disarm the Rai and place her in manacles.

"Seal the Great Hall!" shouted Mand-Tre Kumir-Rai. The Kumir-Rai snapped into action, twelve of their numbers taking post before the six great doors, ensuring the doors were sealed.

"Know all, that the Kumaraie demands an act of fealty from all in this hall in the presence of the Chlaerge," the Chief of Services declared in a thunderous voice.

"Bring forth the Kumir-Roe," Mand-Tre called out.

The twenty-four members of the Kumir-Roe came out from a side room and knelt before the Kumaraie in four rows of six.

"Jarl-Het, how fair you my Sai-Ro?" the Kumaraie asked.

"I have seen better days, My Kumaraie, but I will survive," he stated, giving a short Pod-Drran laugh that ended abruptly as the laughter caused him pain.

The Kumaraie smiled. "So it would seem. However, I have sad news for you, Jarl-Het, there is only one candidate for Kumaroe left standing, or in this case, in repose after medical treatment.

"Will you accept the role of Kumaroe and stand at my side for the Pod-Drran?" she asked.

"What of my request, My Kumaraie? Will you give it your blessing?" Jarl asked.

"I will, Jarl-Het. You will be known as Jarl Se-Lam Pod-Sai-Roe. Will that please your, My Kumaroe select?" the Kumaraie asked.

"It will, My Kumaraie. I will be pleased to stand at your side for the Pod-Drran. In the name of the Goddess, I will give you my loyalty, my strength, and my heart, My Kumaraie," Jarl stated.

"Help me stand," Jarl demanded of the Chiksta-Dae.

"You should not be up so soon, Jarl-Het! It is not good for you!" one of the Sin stated firmly.

"I will not accept fealty of the Kumir-Roe laying on my back!" Jarl-Het answered.

Kim and Gillaya came over and helped him to stand, his arm around the shoulders of the much taller Gillaya while Kim hugged his hip to keep him upright. Two of the Cats came and settled on each of his shoulders, glaring at those before them.

As one, the Kumir-Ro stood, pulled their Kaldar, knelt with their hands outstretched, their Kaldar held in their hands before them. One by one, the gave the oath of fealty to the Kumaroe select. The Cats did not react, much to the pleasure of the Kumaraie, who had many of the Kumir-Ro purged previously.

"You have done your duty, Jarl, now let your private Sin take care of you," the Kumaraie said in a tone that would brook no dissension. Kim and Gillaya let the senior Sin take Jarl from them as the Chief of Services brought a pallet for him. He was swiftly taken from the great hall to the Kumaraie's private apartments, his Kumir-Ro in tow.

The Kumaraie stood in all her imposing height.

"You will all swear fealty before you are permitted to leave this hall," she bellowed. "The Chlaerge will look into your souls and declare if your act of featly is real or not. Those who do not pass the inspection of the Chlaerge will be dealt with severally."

Five at a time, the senior members of the Pod-Drran elite were brought forward to swear fealty to the Kumaraie. Many failed.

The Kumaraie was watching one elderly Ro in particular. He had always voiced his comments on her edicts, sometimes supporting them, many times not.

"Gend-Hurl Ro, step forward and make your act of featly," the Kumaraie snapped.

"Why the charade, My Kumaraie? If you wished to remove me as the thorn in your side, why do it in this manner?" Gend-Hurl demanded.

"Look around you, Gend-Hurl. There are many here that I thought loyal to me who are now in restraints. There are many here who I have despised who are not in restraints. The Chlaerge are indeed looking into the hearts and souls of those in this hall, Gend-Hurl, your Kumaraie included. While I would like to see many in this hall suffer at the claws of my jailers, the Chlaerge are not allowing me to take vengeance against my foes in this court.

"Dissent is something that is needed to keep your Kumaraie honest. The power that comes with this position can take the soul of its holder, Gend-Hurl, as was exemplified by the former Kumaroe.

"Only those who have the will, and the courage to speak out when your Kumir-pair do something that is not right will keep one such as I, who has all this power in her claws, honest.

"While I would like to see you in the claws of my jailers, Gend-Hurl, you provide a function that is necessary. So long as your comments are honest and in support of the Pod-Drran if not necessarily in support of the Kumir-pair.

"Swear fealty, Gend-Hurl, and let the Chlaerge judge if you should be dealt with as one who cares for the Pod-Drran, or as one who cares nothing for them," the Kumaraie finished.

Gend-Hurl drew his Kaldar and knelt, making his act of fealty to the Kumaraie. As he finished, one of the Chlaerge suddenly landed on the blade of his Kaldar. Its red eyes looked into his bluish-green eyes. Its head twisting and turning constantly.

Gend-Hurl felt something touch him and knew fear. The Kumaraie had been right! The Chlaerge were indeed looking deep into his heart and soul!

The Chlaerge bobbed its head up and down several times, then made a soft sound before turning and leaping high into the air and returning to the Kumaraie, where it perched back on her shoulder.

"The Chlaerge has judged you, Gend-Hurl," the Atohan pronounced, standing, another of the Chlaerge on her shoulder. "This means that while you speak out against the actions of the Kumir-pair, you do not do so with malice in your heart. I would charge you with one action, however, and that is to remember who you are addressing, Gend-Hurl.

"This is your Kumaraie. If you are to speak out against something that she has done, then you must also put forth options for her to act on. If you cannot bring forth options, then do not speak against her actions. Do you understand, Gend-Hurl?" the Atohan demanded.

Gend-Hurl stood, replaced his Kaldar in its sheath, and bowed low to the Atohan, and then to the Kumaraie. He was still in shock at the feeling of being touched by the Chlaerge. He would indeed remember this day and would follow the advice of the Atohan. It was good advice, especially if he wanted to live which, despite his age, he did.

There were 642 Pod-Drran in the Great Hall. At the end of it, there were 62 in chains, with another 23 of the attackers that made a total of 85 disloyal among the political elite of the Pod-Drran. The numbers were fewer than was expected, but still significant, especially when one of those was the Kumaraie's Seneschal, who now awaited his fate.

Of the twenty dead, eight had not been claimed, unwanted by their Houses because of the unforgivable act of betrayal to the Kumaraie. Their names would be erased from their House's ledgers.

They all noted that the Kumaraie had forgiven those who had died with a Kaldar in their hands, the death of a warrior. She was aware that forces were acting against her people, and that she had to show there was another way forward. That act alone would be simultaneously maligned and praised by the great Houses.

Conference Room One, Liramor-23, Piscium System

"At least none of our people were injured," Fiona stated after receiving the brief on the visit to the Pod-Drran home world the next morning.

"We did not anticipate such an action against the Kumaraie," Raymond stated. "In hindsight, we should have known that action would need to be taken before the next Kumaroe was emplaced by the current Kumaraie. It appeared, that as long as one of their candidates was still in the running, the rebels were content to let the act play out. As soon as they no longer had a candidate running, they acted against the Kumaraie.

"Assassinating the Kumaraie would have destabilized the Pod-Drran political system. There were people waiting in the wings to take over. Unfortunately, they were not in the Great Hall, so did not have to pass the scrutiny of Junelliya and the Cats," Raymond explained.

"Regardless, this is the last time that Junelliya will go to that planet until she has given birth," Fiona stated firmly. "I would feel absolutely terrible if she was injured and lost the baby at this point in her pregnancy. I would prefer that she remains in the Piscium system until the birth."

"Unfortunately, there is the elevation of Jarl-Shet Sai-Ro to Kumaroe. The Atohan will be expected to be there. That will take place in four days, enough time for Jarl-Shet to recover from his injuries," Raymond informed her. "Ambassadors Charles Demoiné and Michael Renders will need to be present, as well."

"Fine, however, in the last two weeks of her term and the first two weeks after the birth, Junelliya will be in 'mom' mode. Is that understood?" Fiona demanded.

"Yes, Mother," Junelliya replied, with a bright smile. Fiona just scoffed at the comment, but she did look mollified by it. Juneya was suddenly on Fiona's shoulder, purring in her ear, before going back to Junelliya.

"She is thanking you for taking such good care of Junelliya," Fayad told Fiona with a smile. That got a laugh from those in the morning briefing.

"I think that this is an issue that needs to go to UDC HQ," Ambs. Michelle Halten said. "Normally, the Minister for Foreign Affairs would go to this kind of function, but we do not yet have full ambassadorial protocols in place with the Pod-Drran, or any of the other intelligent species for that matter. So the Minister might not choose to go. If not, he will send a Senior Ambassador in his place.

"As an aside to that, I received two notes this morning from UDC HQ, specifically from the Minister. The first, promotes me to Senior Ambassador status, which gives me the right to make policy in this location, subject to UDC HQ confirmation of course. The second, is a note to say that we will be receiving four additional UDC staff to assist the two missions here on Liramor-23, the embassy mission and that of the Ambassador at Large," she informed Fiona.

"Well, that is interesting news," Fiona replied. "Does that mean you will get your own dedicated fast ship? You can't keep borrowing mine, eventually we will run into a conflict of interest and that will always go my way." That got a laugh from everyone.

"Anything else?" she asked the group at larger. There wasn't.

"Right, Ambassadors, Junelliya, Fayad, Raymond, Liea, and Mind-Ur, please stay behind, we need to discuss our response to the upcoming elevation ceremony," Fiona said by way of dismissing the remainder.

Alien Station, Piscium System

Dr. Aruna had just finished making a smaller version of the large ICS antenna from the station. She had just completed its construction when the delegates from the Interspecies community came into the space she was working in.

"Good day to all of you," Dr. Aruna began. "Working with your scientists, I have been able to understand the principle by which the ICS functions, and thus have been able to change the design a little in order to put this into a smaller form," she explained as she pointed out the much smaller antenna.

"Later today, we will install this on one of our small fast ships and jump at least five light years away, then engage the device and try to contact this station.

"This is the antenna that I will attach to the ship, and this is the comms station that I will be using," she told them, indicating the two items. "The power source, of course, will be the same as is being used on the small ship.

"If this works, as I suspect it will, the ship should be able to contact this station not long after we jump. That would give us ICS comms with ships as small as the small ships we use for fast transports," she finished.

"We currently have only the Great Ships, interplanetary stations, and planets on this network. That is roughly 250 units," the Great Ship's Science Officer indicated. "If we can put the ICS on ships as small as you fast ships, how will we prevent overwhelming the entire system?"

"How do you prevent overwhelming your planetary broadcast systems, or your planetary computer networks?" Aruna asked. "You partial out frequencies within the radio spectrum dedicated to various subsets of communications, radio, video, computer networks, etc. I do not see why we cannot do the same for the ICS.

"Currently, we only use the generated mass to send items all over. We do not know the full range of these communications, only that we can instantly communicate with units over the area claimed by the Community of Sentients.

"Your scientists have told me that the range of the Community of Sentients is some 532 light years. If you include the area we humans hold, that would extend the range another three hundred light years, or over 832 light years. If you only add the planets and stations within the human sphere, you will be adding another 400 units as many of our planets have at least two orbital stations. Add the stations like Liramor-23, which are not orbiting an inhabited planet and you have another thirty units for the Liramor franchise alone. There are as many Great Houses in the human sphere as there are planets. Not all of those have assets away from their home planets, like Liramor-23, but many of them do. That adds up to 400 units alone, not including the ships in space, which could add many thousands of units.

"That is a lot of units to suddenly add to the net. We must find a way to differentiate between the units in the same way that we differentiate with our other communications systems. If we can do that, then we can provide subsets for communications on the ICS. I can see a subset for all twelve of the species currently in the community of sentients. Within that, we can partial out a series of frequencies for different priorities of the subset, such as the governments, the military, computer web use, etc.

"I suggest, once this experiment has been completed, that we sit down on Liramor-23 and determine how we are going to differentiate between the frequencies and how to allocate those frequencies for interspecies use," Aruna finished.

She signalled two people in mech suits who came over and picked up the heavy transmitter/receiver and the antenna for the ICS to move them to the bay in which the Valour was sitting, as it was going to be the test platform.

The delegates split up to find things to do before the test.

The Valour, Alien Station, Piscium System

Dr. Aruna, Annette Liramor, Fiona Marsh, Cdr. Malteyea her aide, a couple of scientists from the Byandi, and Capt. Abigale Moore, commanding The Valour, were sitting around the VIP table on The Valour prior to her leaving the Bay for the test of the modified ICS system.

"We can jump anywhere you want to, ma'am," Abigale told her boss. "If it's going to work it will work next door at Liramor-23, or sixty-five light years from here."

"Dr. Aruna?" Fiona asked her expert.

"I'll stick with a five light-year jump, if it works, then it will work anywhere," Ohi replied. "Besides, if it does work, then we simply need to send a message to identified units back at say, the Byandi home world. That would be a substantial test of the system and the Byandi scientists we have on board can confirm that we can get a signal to them."

"Does the system allow for a comms verification?" Malteyea asked. "In the military, we do checks for comms to ensure that we have contact with all other ships before we engage in exercises. If there the same protocol for the ICS?"

"There is," replied Camdu, the senior Byandi scientist on the small ship. "We can request a 'sweep' of the system. We do this every time that a new unit is included to the ICS net, which is what we will effectively be doing. Once we are able to contact the Great Ship or the station, we can then request a sweep."

"That would definitely confirm that all units can be contacted," Ohi replied. "We can then jump to a couple of different locations and repeat contact with the station to complete the test."

"Let's do it then," Fiona ordered. She opened her comp to Capt. Whatt, who was currently on the station.

"The antenna and the unit are installed on The Valour," she told him. "We are about to leave the bay and jump to our first location. Once we arrive, we will attempt to engage the unit. Give us half an hour after we jump to establish contact."

"Roger that, ma'am," Whatt replied. "I am in Station Control and they have given you permission to leave the bay at your discretion."

"Roger, The Valour requests the bay doors open for our departure," Fiona stated formally.

Abigale nodded and left the VIP room, headed to the bridge.

"Stand-by to leave the Shuttle Bay," her voice could be heard on the open bridge mike to the VIP room not long after.

"Pilot, bring up station keeping thrusters and back us out of the bay," she ordered.

"Aye, ma'am, lifting off the deck, thrusters at minimum to take us out, ma'am," the Pilot replied.

"Navigation, be prepared to jump as soon as we are far enough away from the station," the Captain ordered.

"Aye, ma'am, jump coordinates set, the computer will have the jump stats for us shortly," Nav replied.

"Science, be advised that your station will be linked to the one in the VIP room so that our guest scientists can have unfiltered data," she told Science.

"Aye, ma'am, I was aware and have already slaved my input to the other unit," Science stated. "We will be up and running as soon as the sensors are activated on leaving the station, Captain."