All Comments on 'All That Glitters Ch. 42'

by bigtddybr

Sort by:
  • 17 Comments
Avalanche2015Avalanche2015over 2 years ago

Great continuation of the story, looking forward to the next installment and the taming of the Alliance. One small matter of use of language terms that is a bit irritating is that you use "vice" in place of "versus", I am not sure it fits at all and wonder if it is some sort of auto correcting or completing software you may be using when you write. The switch of words happens throughout the various chapters in your writing of this story. Very much enjoying the story, thanks for the entertainment.

bigtddybrbigtddybrover 2 years agoAuthor

Vice is in the dictionary. It means 'contrary to' but tends to be used more in Oxford English. It's use is slowly fading, but I have been around for some time and still like It.

janus48janus48over 2 years ago

Thanks for another great chapter! Looking forward to where you take us next.

Jedi_KhanJedi_Khanover 2 years ago

Aurelia sure is a force to be reckoned with, and she is continuing to gain more influence. I wonder if the Union and/or the Greater Community would consider the idea of at least partially lifting the general embargo on the Alliance, allowing specific houses that do reform their ways to enjoy some of the benefits, such as increased trade, while houses that do not reform remain blocked. For example, House Andomere and I believe House Hadron (I forget the spelling, the first house to be ruled by a woman), both of which are likely well on their way to ending their participation in slavery. Those two Houses would be allowed to trade with the Union in higher level goods, but not advanced technology. This would result in those houses seeing much greater profit than the other houses, as they would effectively control all trade to the outside while the rest of the Alliance suffers under the embargo. The other houses would have no choice but to change their ways if they wanted to compete. The only other option would be to be slowly driven into bankruptcy as they are forced to meet the prices demanded by the reformed houses in order to do business.

I'm also wondering if the Union has kept the option of blockading planet Andomere on the table, even with all of the developments that have been happening. I'm not sure it has occurred to anyone in the Alliance, besides Aurelia, that the Union is capable of not only deploying but also maintaining such a blockade. Sure, the power of the Union Navy is pretty fresh in their minds right now, what with the Great Raid and the loss of the pirate fleets, but I imagine a great many are thinking that the Union can't possibly keep up the pressure, that the Great Raid was a one-off and that a blockade can't be deployed or maintained. The Landstradt may need another, more directly impactful, demonstration soon.

On another note, on the last chapter I noted a bit of surprise that the Alliance currency is doing as well as it is in comparison to the Union currency, that the Union markets remain cautiously optimistic about the prospects for the Alliance. On the flip side, Pallanders has got to be one of the, if not the, most highly rated companies in all of Union space at this point. Forget Fortune 500, Pallanders has got to be one of the Fortune 10, considering they seem to be not only the exclusive shipbuilders for the Union Navy, but also the exclusive shipbuilders for the Greater Community. That has got to be doing amazing things for their stock price.

Anyways, that's enough for this comment. Sorry about the wall of text. Looking forward to more, as always.

mithanialmithanialover 2 years ago

Enjoying the story. I could see the alliance breaking up with member worlds choosing to abolish slavery and join the union. Especially if they happen to have a unique resource that the broader community would want or desire.

I also noted that the ship making company is doing well. But in truth it's the mining company as long as they are in lock step with pricing structures that should be seeing profit margins skyrocket. Really anyone trading with union members giving them something they want are the real winners.

My question here is how the feline race will react with them no linger being the defacto leaders of the union due to the human species being so adaptable and technologically savvy. I expect we may see some intra union conflict unless an outside threat arises.

cmn456cmn456over 2 years ago

Brilliant! Really like your story and how you write. Keep up the good work!

Thank you

Avalanche2015Avalanche2015over 2 years ago

Hate to harp on this, however I can find no reference to your use of the word vice in the various dictionaries posted online. The use of a two word combination as in: "vice versa" has the meaning you seem to intend which may be substituted for "versus" as one word but "vice" as one word does not convey the meaning you are asserting. All this aside I am very much enjoying your story and if you are able to source a reference to your understanding of the word use I am very much open to being "schooled" in it's alternate use. Best regards, and be well... /A

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

I am loving the tension you are building in the Landstradt. I am also loving that Aurelia seems to be gaining the upper hand in all this, while seemingly reluctant to concede to the Landstradt's requests for hosts for the Union and Greater Community personnel. Great story getting better and better.

Share the Love

Devir Ginator

prsstaridprsstaridover 2 years ago

There is still a strong possibility of a planet blockade. I had kind of expected the Union to show up in force and start blockading after the Alliance marched out the prisoners naked and it was reveled what happend to them after their imprisonment. All this occurring even before the ambassador was requested to the Landstradt.

The story took a more diplomatic turn so far. So it may still happen because so many are still happy with the status quo. In the last page of this chapter it was mentioned that only about 1/3 of the houses were severely affected. So that percentage may not be high enough yet to enact change. However with the capture of the pirate fleet, they might be able to do a prisoner swap without having to do a blockade. I would not be surprised to find out that several high ranking house's sons were captured from that pirate fleet. And knowing that the fate of the Marines and Raymond are tied directly to what will happens to the pirates. It still would not solve the slave problem.

arrowglassarrowglassover 2 years ago
Another absolutely splendid continuation of this story!!!

I cannot seem to get enough of this tall tale. The attention to many details make it seem so real, I find myself reading and re-reading it over and over!!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Thank you for continuing to write this story, I look forward to more !

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago
Vice

I thought that also, but

"In about six months time, Kelowna will be going into refit to change her profile. She will become a dedicated fleet tender vice the supply ship she currently is.

From Webster:

vice preposition

Definition of vice

: in the place of . I will preside, vice the absent chairman also

: rather than

dapidapiover 2 years ago

@Avalanche2015 I believe the author maybe a French Canadien. Vice=vs (versus) there are sometimes errors when translating Quebequois French to English.

It's a very good story that's in need of some editing and I hope there are many more installments to come.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Just a delightful chapter as is the whole story. Thanks you for sharing and please continue.

Ultimoter69Ultimoter69over 2 years ago

Hi I became a little bored with some of your earlier chapters but understand why now as your story has progressed. I have really enjoyed the latest chapter and look forward to your next instalment.

pk2curiouspk2curiousalmost 2 years ago

When Aurelia was Gordon . Prior to moving to Planet Adenomere Then becoming Aureli Adenomere . She assisted Kim with the escape of her chilhood slave/freind Ria . Hoping they could reunite in the future .

Ria was involved in the raid and is still around .

Kim was in the Ams entourage to Planet Adenomere .

How do Aurelia and Kim not recognize each other and ? Aureli hasn't seemed to have any memory of Ria in her life . Was this an oversight ? Or is this answered in the story still ?

firehorseukfirehorseukabout 1 year ago

"Know one is allowed to tend them, just to put new people in the barn as required.

->

"No one is allowed to tend them, just to put new people in the barn as required."

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userbigtddybr@bigtddybr
20 Apr 2024. Ch. 65 is nearing completion. Hopefully it will go to the editors by the end of next week. I want to put out at least one chapter per month. The new version of the Notes chapter (v 14), was finally posted. I do not know why it takes so long to post these Notes cha...

story TAGS

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES