All That Glitters Ch. 59

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The children went back to their instruments and Alafka was surprised to note that the Piscium children were trying to teach the other two one of Seeka's more recent songs (Seeka was the premier singer of the Byandi and a friend to the Piscium family). She smiled inwardly as she heard the others trying to copy Ikekiya and Zarreniya.

"I am surprised they know of Seeka's songs," Marraallan, Alafka's PA mentioned.

"Not so surprising," Sylvie Kinlo, Hanalei's PA answered for the family. "She is a personal friend of Junelliya."

"Excuse me?" Alafka replied.

"Why yes, do you not know that she is Dr. Junelliya Herlan, Doctor of Music, one of the most renowned human musicians. She and the children personally played with Seeka during the Second Denders Summit."

"Come sit at the table," Hanalei said as Junelliya and another female that Alafka didn't know opened the table up and added a couple of extensions to it.

Alafka looked around and didn't think there was enough room at the table, large though it was.

"Do not worry," Junelliya said on seeing her look. "Not everyone here will be staying for the meal."

As Junelliya had predicted, several people left but even as they left, others came in.

"Hello Mylat Alafka," Fiona Marsh said as she entered the apartment. Along with her were her aide-de-camp and her PA. "I don't think I had the opportunity earlier to properly introduce my staff. This is Captain Émilia Pétillante, my Navy aide-de-camp, and this is my civilian PA, Grace Elizabeth Holloway, daughter of Wilford J. Holloway, the President of the Union."

"Hello," Grace said, extending her hand to Alafka. "I am not sure if you are aware but Martte Garnal Mutt Herrtt will be arriving on station next week to study at the university here, as I am doing."

"What are you studying?" Alafka asked, unsure because the female looked younger than she expected.

"I am studying Political Science here at Malton University," Grace told her.

"My apologies, I didn't think you were old enough, you look far younger than I expected," Alafka replied.

"That's quite all right. I am indeed younger than you would expect for a university student. Despite missing many hours of study because of my father pulling me from school for one event or another, I finished two years ahead of my class. I took a gap year to do grunt work for my boss here but part of my 'workload' is studying at the university," she laughed.

"Oh, I am here to study human political science to see the differences between the human and Byandi programs and structures. This was because of what the Asoc >Catal said about your 'Good Governance' program. My mother tweaked on that. Wait, wasn't it you who suggested that to the Asoc?" Alafka wondered, remembering something from the vids she had seen.

"It was," Grace answered. "They were wondering how they could deal with the way the Gurn were much too independent of Asocan Law and their methods of governing. Once the Asoc read through the basics on the program, she wanted to see if the Asocans could adopt it to their own use, much as the Toolend adopted the Code of Conduct of the Council of Empaths for their own use among the Toolend Telepaths.

"Hanalei was made Gurn Piscium by the Asoc. She had already begun the Good Governance program because of the interactions she had as the principle shareholder at Denders Resort where there has already been two Greater Community Summits. The Asoc wanted her to assist in determining what parts of the program could be adopted by the Asocans.

"Martte Garnal is coming to the station next week to start her studies on the program. Between the two of us, you, Gurn Piscium, and the Ambassadors, it's going to be an interesting time here on the station," Grace finished giving Alafka a smile.

Alafka grinned back (a daunting image because of the much wider Byandi mouth).

Three more people came to the apartment as others left. The children greeted them excitedly.

"Miss Aylliya, Miss Clarrisiya, Miss Urano!" the children called out as they and the Cats clambered all over them much to the delight of the two newcomers.

"Aylliya and Clarrisiya are our Grand Master Empath specialists working with empathic children who come into their powers early. They have been hired by the daycare to help with the Asocan gifted children coming to the station. Urano is the head of our daycare/school facility. It will be open for inspection on Monday next and will be open for business two days later," Hanalei explained.

"I met Urano and Clarrisiya earlier today. My mother was given a quick look at the daycare today, so I saw some it ahead of time. It was still missing much of the furniture but I am told all that will be there by Monday," Alafka replied.

"It will be all hands on deck this weekend for many of us as we help put the daycare into operation," Junelliya told Alafka.

"Émilia and I will be lending our hand to that," Grace told Alafka with a wink.

"Oh, maybe I should help some, too," said Alafka.

"Extra hands will be appreciated, as 'many hands make work light'," Aylliya quoted.

"I will have to remember that saying," Alafka said with a smile.

The door chimed but everyone was in the kitchen.

"Raymond, Liea, Kim, and Gillaya are here," Ikekiya stated.

Zarreniya turned, waved a hand at the door and it opened, much to the surprise of Alafka and Marrallan, both reacting to what they had just seen. Junelliya raised a finger to her mouth and wiggled it to the pair in warning.

"I'll explain later," Junelliya advised them quietly, getting nods of understanding from the two.

Raymond and Liea were introduced to Alafka and her people.

"Oh, bodyguards," Kim said. "You will have to go through my program if you wish to work here."

"We are the Brucomma of Mylat Alafka," one of them stated rather imperiously. "Your program would be beneath us."

"That's nice, however, you may interact with other bodyguards on this station, including Violletiya, the Piscium family bodyguard. If you fuck up and get in her way or allow others to get to the members of the Piscium family you will answer to me, do you understand," Kim stated.

One of the Brucomma stood and raised her staff. She was unceremoniously dumped onto the floor and removed of her weapon by Kim.

"Do. You. Understand?" Kim snarled.

"Enough!" Alafka answered for her. "You will report to Kim as she requires and when your schedule permits."

"No arguments, Mylat?" asked Hanalei.

"After seeing Kim so effortlessly disarming my Brucomma, all three of them will learn at her hand," Alafka stated flatly. Her people bowed their heads in submission to her order.

"You good, she better," Zarreniya informed them.

"Kim know blade. You know staff. You teach us staff?" Ikekiya asked, surprising the Byandi.

"It is very difficult to learn how to use the staff," the Brucomma who had been dumped replied.

Both children stepped away from the table and pulled what turned out to be wooden Damate. They then went through half-a-dozen complex forms with the blades.

"We learn," Zarreniya explained, again surprising the Byandi.

"May I," Alafka asked. Zarreniya passed her the wooden Damate. Alafka found it much heavier than a standard Damate.

"It be for practice," Ikekiya told them. Alafka understood the extra weight. She passed the blade around to her staff before giving it back to Zarreniya.

"You taught them the blade work?" Alafka asked Kim, getting confirmation from her.

"May we see some of you own blade work?" Alafka asked.

Kim stepped back and went through four Kata's for the Katana. The speed of her strikes was frightening to the Byandi who had never seen anything like it. The blade was a blur when in motion. It paused for barely a moment before she began the next Kata. When she returned the blade to its sheath, the Brucomma suddenly understood what they were dealing with. This person was a master blade user! The click of the blade engaging the sheath at the end was enormously loud in the sudden silence of the room.

"Wow, Miss Kim. I did not know you were this good," Armando exclaimed after, a look of sheer incredulity on his face.

"Kim teach us, she teach you," Ikekiya told him. "But you need do what she say."

Armando looked to his mother, a look of pleading in his eyes. "As long as you can assure me that you will not abuse what she teaches you, you can learn whatever she will teach you," Juliana answered the unasked question.

The two girls took hold of Armando's hands and put him in line with them in front of Kim. The two girls bowed and waited for Armando to do the same.

"Sensei!" the girls called out. "It mean teacher," Zarreniya whispered loudly to Armando getting laughter from the adults.

"It's dinner time," Hanalei called out getting everyone to sit at the table. She brought over the large pot while Junelliya gave out bowl like plates and fresh baked bread. Soon all were eating the very delicious meal.

"This is very good," said Saalaa, the lead of Alafka's Brucomma.

"Mommy can teach you," Ikekiya told her, getting a look of surprise from Saalaa.

"You would do that?" Saalaa asked.

"Of course we would. We like teaching people how to make us of our Anuuran spices," Hanalei answered.

Conversation became a little livelier as the food disappeared. Until finally everyone helped with the empty dishes. Even Alafka was employed at washing dishes along with Grace Holloway. The two were surprised to be paired with each other.

After, Armando gave a brief piano recital and then the Piscium children sang some Byandi songs on the Ukelele. Junelliya was pressed into singing her signature song, the Pod-Drran Song of Life. Alafka and her group were quite surprised at how much they were affected by the song.

The Santos family left and Hanalei told the children it was time for bed. They gave hugs to all their friends, old and new, and said their good nights.

Once the children were done and tucked in, Junelliya turned to the newcomers. "I am aware that the Byandi do not like gifted people. However, here on this station, we are not only tolerated, we are welcomed.

"The children are only beginning to learn the extent of their powers. Whatever you see them do, act as if it is just a natural thing...nothing special. We do not want our children to have heads inflated by their abilities. We want them to learn that having the gift means sharing it and supporting others. Acting as if what they are doing is not only special but fearful or dangerous, you will defeat our efforts," Junelliya ended.

Alafka's group thought for a moment before each gave Junelliya a brief nod of acceptance.

"Hanalei, Junelliya, Fayad, children. I thank you for allowing my staff and I to join you this evening for your meal. I quite enjoyed the meal and the company. I think it will make living here a little easier for the time I will be on the station," Alafka told them as she prepared to leave at the end of the evening.

"You are welcome to come anytime, Mylat Alafka, however, in future you will have to bring some food as compensation for future meals. It is the tradition in this household," Hanalei explained. Alafka had noted that many of the guests had brought something that Junelliya had put away before the meal. She now understood what that was.

"That was an amazing evening," Marrallan remarked as the little group headed to Alafka's apartment. "I hope that we can do that again."

"I'm sure we will have the opportunity to do so," Alafka remarked hoping that it would be true.

"Well, there is always the cooking instructions," Saalaa reminded them. "We will have to see when they want to do that...

Executive Gymnasium, Echo Deck, Liramor-23, The Piscium System

Mylat Alafka and her people came into the gym a little early, surprised to see more than a handful of people waiting in the gym, she was also surprised to see two Pod-Drran in military style jump suits as the Pod-Drran normally wore their Ga-Den. The Santos family came in along with the Piscium family, their Cats riding their shoulders. She nodded to them as Kim came in behind the group with a few other people.

"Good morning all," Kim began. "For those of you who have yet to meet each other, all of those here today are designated bodyguards for one person or another on station or on one of the ships dedicated to the station."

Kim went around the room and indicated who was the principle and who were the bodyguards for each. "If you see any of these people in trouble, please assist their guards as required. You will not need to assist War Dragon Raymond Clark Sai Ro, nor Dragon Fayad Piscium Sai-Ro, who are both capable fighters, however, if their people need assistance please provide it.

"Of all the people you need to protect in this room, the two most important are the two Piscium children. Prophecy has indicated that their fate is tied to that of the Pod-Drran and Maha-Rrin and to their godparent's family, including that of Prakeshya Se-Lam Raie the supposed re-incarnation of the deity of the combined people, Poda-La, and the future ruler of the combined people, the Oranae.

"There are hints in those prophecies that the children's future may also be tied to that of the Greater Community. No matter what happens, they must live to fulfill those prophecies. This is the main reason we are teaching these two how to protect themselves despite their young age," Kim informed them.

"Mylat Alafka, the children have asked your Brucomma if they would teach them staff work. I formally ask the same of you," said Kim, giving Alafka a very low and unique bow.

Kim then took one of the Brucomma onto the mat. She knelt, Japanese style, at the edge of the mat and removed her swords, placing them down beside her before rising and walking onto the mat. Ululla threw her two wooden practice sticks and Kim had the Brucomma attack her.

This time, the Brucomma fared much better, however, the outcome was inevitable as Kim finally downed the female. She went through each of the Brucomma with the same results. She then began to show the Brucomma how she had defeated them and why, after which she showed them changes they could make to their techniques that would make it harder for her to defeat them.

Next came Mylat Alafka. "I do not get involved with fighting," said Alafka rather loftily to Kim.

"Try saying that to the person who attacks you after your Brucomma have been taken care of," Kim replied.

She put Alafka through what Alafka thought was a rather brutal series of exercises that left her sore and tired. Looking around, Alafka realized that everyone in the room was receiving the same treatment, regardless of rank, including the three children. She could not and did not complain, accepting the instructions given her by Kim and Ululla.

After, Kim asked the Alafka and the Brucomma to remain as the Brucomma had promised to show the children how to use a staff. The children did their best but had trouble even holding long weapons made for adults. Kim promised she would do something about that for their next session.

"Alright everyone, time for breakfast," Junelliya stated. "Saalaa, you can help cook it. We will show you how."

Alafka, and her staff, Hanalei, Junelliya and the two Piscium children all went back to their apartments sore but happy, the two children holding Alafka's hands all the way.

"Mommy, she like us," the children both said simultaneously as the door closed behind them. All of Alafka's staff stopped dead in their tracks at the comment.

"How do you mean, children?" Hanalei asked.

"She empath, but she no know how..." Zarreniya began.

"How to use her powers?" Junelliya asked, getting nods from the children.

"We can teach," Ikekiya stated, looking up into Alafka's face.

"That might not be wise, Junelliya," Marrallan informed them.

"Why? Because the Byandi persecute empaths?" Junelliya replied.

"You know this?" Marrallan asked.

"Of course I know this, the Mylatrin informed me of this fact. Adriné is afraid for her daughter," said Junelliya.

"Most Byandi empaths hide their powers from others. That can bring about terrible psychological problems for the gifted. That is why empaths are feared by the Byandi, because the have experienced empaths who have lost their minds by hiding what they are. Such things can cause dangerous situations to the psyche of the empath and as a consequence between empaths and the public at large.

"Empaths need to be able to make use of their powers for their own sanity. Denying them such can lead to real problems. It is better for Alafka and for Saalaa that they be properly trained," Junelliya explained.

"Wait, what!?" Marrallan exclaimed, turning on Saalaa.

"Me? I am not an empath," Saalaa argued.

"You are, you just don't know it. You have been successfully using some of your powers for years, but you are woefully ignorant of what you could be," Junelliya told her.

"I came here to be Hanalei's bodyguard, but my second function was to train Junelliya, who had just come into her powers and was soon going to become a problem to herself and others. We formed a 'Fellowship' to help train her. We can do the same for you and your Brucomma, Alafka," Violletiya let them know.

"There are enough empaths on the station that would be delighted to form a Training Fellowship with you," Hanalei stated.

"What do you mean by a Training Fellowship, Junelliya," Marrallan asked.

"There are two forms of formal instruction for Empaths, the 'Crush', which is a group of immature empaths, usually teenagers, who come together under the tutelage of a Grand Master Empath to learn about life and empathy.

"Then there is the 'Training Fellowship'. A Fellowship is put together normally to train one individual, usually an adult who has suddenly come into their powers," Violletiya explained.

"However, when we form a Fellowship, we usually include the intimate others of the person we are training. In Junelliya's case, that included Fayad, Hanalei, the Cats, who are also empathic, and later included the children.

"You both will have to include Marrallan and the other Brucomma as all of you will be working closely together with each other," Violletiya finished.

"Saalaa...time for other forms of teaching," Hanalei ended the discussion and pointed to the stove top. That brought laughter from Alafka who simply had not anticipated the comment. Breakfast was started and ended with full bellies and pleased smiles.

************

The next day, as the group came together again in the Executive Gym, Kim had a surprise for the children.

"These are expandable clubs, but we have made these ones able to expand a little further. In our case, these clubs expand into full sized staffs," Kim said, demonstrating with a flick of her wrist which resulted in a staff made for her body size.

She gave three similar pieces of metal to the children and showed them how to expand them. They expanded to the children's height. The children were delighted, especially when they learned that the staffs were not as heavy as the ones they had practised with the day previously.

The Brucomma were impressed and said so. Kim smiled and produced three more expanding staffs for them, each sized to their specific needs. The Brucomma tried them out and were more than pleased with the expanding weapons.

"Sometimes, for security reasons, is not possible to bring full sized weapons into an environment. We have these folding clubs that we use. These are a simple variant on the theme, allowing us to carry a hidden staff around with us," Kim told them.

Now having their own, child sized staffs, the children did much better in their practice. Armando was smiling from ear-to-ear after the morning exercises.

VIP Reception, Liramor-23, The Piscium System

1...456789