All Comments on 'Alone For Christmas'

by sack

Sort by:
  • 43 Comments
TE999TE999over 17 years ago
Brought a tear to my eye.

A truly touching story. You have the gift for evocative storytelling, sack. Good luck in the contest.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Heartwarming story.

A perfectly lovely Christmas story - of which there are too few that really evoke the Christmas Spirit. I think of the old song, "I'll be home for Christmas..." Perhaps Christmas will always be - Where the heart is. Terrific story! Such a enjoyable read. Mr. Sack, you've done Christmas proud!

DesertPirateDesertPirateover 17 years ago
Perfect

An important train of thought this time of year. Thanks for a wonderful story.

angelicminxangelicminxover 17 years ago
Beautiful

yet sad. The imagery was wonderful. Great bit of writing, Sack. Good luck in the contest! ~Minx

damppantiesdamppantiesover 17 years ago
Touching

That was a very sad story, sack. Thank you for adding the author's note at the end though. Good luck in the contest.

RogueLurkerRogueLurkerover 17 years ago
a story to make you think

An emotionally resonant story ... well done.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
I have to agree with the previous comments

sack,

it is a very sad tale; One that I had to read several times and think about before I felt myself able to comment. The sad part was the loneliness he lived through each day as he carried the ashes of his memories with him until his grief and sorrow caused him to take the final step. In his case the love remembered was not sufficient to carry him through the daily sorrow of his empty and now loveless life. Thank You for reminding us that we all need to love one another and to do good unto all. Ronnie W.

rachlourachlouover 17 years ago
beautiful...

A very poignant tale of loneliness and grief. Thank you for the read and well done.

Selena_KittSelena_Kittover 17 years ago
Awww...

Couldn't you have written a sappy romance or a bizarre erotic horror? Noooo you have to go make me all weepy... fine, you succeeded, are you happy? :D Great job, Sack, good luck in the contest.

sexygodess06sexygodess06over 17 years ago
Isn't that the truth?

We take life for granted...I had someone pass right b4 xgiving two years ago..and it was going to be the first reunion with family in decades. thx for the nice read.

drksideofthemoondrksideofthemoonover 17 years ago
Once Again...

...you have touched my heart, Sack. Your stories always make me pause and think. Thank you for writing this piece. Well done, and good luck my friend.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
More complex than it seems at first glance.

There are layers of meaning in this story for all of us.

I sent an email to an old friend a few weeks ago - a friend I had been out of touch with for a number of years. In the email I told him, " ... that in the end all we have are our friends and family."

As Sack asks we should remember not only our friends and family but those lonely souls that time has passed by. An apparently meaningless act of caring might unknowingly change a persons life ... as simple a gesture as this story!

Kind regards, Jack (aka Jake Rivers)

Tony155Tony155over 17 years ago
Thoughtful

Your story was not something I expect to see in Lit, but it was one I expect from you. You've given us a story full of longing, heartbreak, and despair, but also one of thought and soul searching. A must read for old and young alike. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Poignant

And very beautifully written. Lovely job, sack.

FtF

BelegonBelegonover 17 years ago
A Sad Tale...

...but certainly one worth telling, and well told at that. An outstretched hand always pays us back in ways that we underestimate. Some ways are expected, others often are not...

TiggerTooTiggerTooover 17 years ago
Not the usual.

There are some unusual stories here on occasion that are not the usual mindless drivel and really show great depth of understanding of our multi-faceted experiences in life.

Things are not always as we find them early in life when we're stupid and think things will always just keep on, keeping on, the way they always have.

Thanks for a wonderfully sad and uplifting story.

Phil

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Depth and Poignancy

I know that is an unusual title for a comment left on a story here, but it is fitting. This is not the usual story in any sense. It is so very well-written; both image and emotion are striking and complex. Thank you for sharing this story! You have true talent and skill.

~Good Luck in the Contest~

bearleebearleeover 17 years ago
Not sure what to say

Excellent story but then it reminded me of some people I won't see later this month. So it's a fiver but then I'm thinking, didn't you write another sad story around this time of the year about a candle girl or something like that(guess I could go check). Sometimes I'm not sure how much I like the holidays anymore. I'm beginning to feel this comment makes no sense anymore except maybe to me.

sacksackover 17 years agoAuthor
Author comment.....

The story Bearlee correctly remembers is The Little Candle Girl from 12/04, and updated account of The Little Match Girl folk tale.

normiquenormiqueover 17 years ago
A beautiful, yet sad story,

written with grace and insight into the world of the lonely.Your compassionate side came out Sack. I applaud you.

kinky shy girlkinky shy girlover 17 years ago
wow

Not the typical christmas smut story, is it? Kudos on doing something original.

S-DesS-Desover 17 years ago
Well Done

A deep and challenging story, especially for one so short. I had a some small issues, but the story was unlike anything I've seen, so I gave it an unreserved 5. Good luck.

....Des

LeBrozLeBrozover 17 years ago
~~

Very deeply moving on an unexpected level. You could sense the unusual nature of this day when all his guests just suddenly appear; and after the fire that most touching of moments, when his pains finally end and he's no longer alone but rejoins for all eternity his one love.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Poignant

A beautifully written story, so descriptive yet not overly so, maintaining our interest in the man's former life and loves throughout. Each person mentioned suggests a relationship now lost or dead and the idea of the annual ceremony with the 'food' is very moving.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Well done!

This was a beautifully written and descriptive piece. Thanks for sharing it and good luck in the contest!

--E

MunachiMunachiover 17 years ago
beautiful and sad...

very good story...

geronimo_applebygeronimo_applebyover 17 years ago
Gulp

Awwww, man. Now I'm all sniffy. Well done, Sack. Good luck in the contest.

Rumple ForeskinRumple Foreskinover 17 years ago
Nicely done, Sack

You said a lot, and said it well, with very few words.

Rumple

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Very Well Done and So Moving

I think all of us would love the chance to once again see and be with all those who have been special in our lives. This would be especially true for one who is left to live alone after losing all those they truly care about and love. If only we all could have that last chance to be with them just before our days on this earth are done. I like stories that give me the chance to reflect on my own life and those who have been very special to me.

rgraham666rgraham666over 17 years ago
Nice

Having been alone at Christmas, I identify all too well with this piece.

SweetWitchSweetWitchover 17 years ago

As I peeled through the layers of this story I went through an entire array of emotions – from sorrow to anger to despondency to loneliness and sorrow again. In the end, as I read the final lines, I realized that it could also be seen as a happy ending. The writer brought this lonely, broken man to the end of this life and into the loving embrace of his loved ones in the next.

Absolutely, a well-done piece full of emotion and truth.

ungenderlessungenderlessover 17 years ago
Very moving

Great job on a sad, yet beautiful story. Good luck in the contest!

Skip1934aSkip1934aover 17 years ago
A reunion of the ages

Extremely satisfying as a story of memories of a lifetime in a short piece that binds the reader to his chair. Well done, and best wishes for a place in the winner's circle.

MusedMusedover 17 years ago
A very elegant short story

Beautifully written and beautifully poignant. Great job Sack, and good luck.

Boxlicker101Boxlicker101over 17 years ago
Poignant

Nor your average story here, but something to remind us that for some, Christmas is not a happy time of family gatherings. During the worst times of my life, I have been alone, even at Christmas, and it is not a good feeling. Good luck in the contest.

Salvor-HardonSalvor-Hardonover 17 years ago
Very very touching

I have to call my brother now

LustyLee77LustyLee77over 17 years ago
Really Great

I totally loved this story. It was well written and hopefully it gives us a glimps of the afterlife, the great unknown that we will all face soon enough. Keep up the good work and Merry Christmas.

AnonymousAnonymousover 17 years ago
Great

Thanks for your story. We all periodically need to be reminded of its message.

Boyd

windstormywindstormyover 17 years ago
This is awesome...

Oh, how you made me cry. It moved me so with so many emotions at once. And I do hope you had a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year. I wish you all the best in this coming year.

gotwood49gotwood49over 17 years ago
Very well done, sir!

I'm sorry it took me so long to get to this story. It's almost a tour-de-force of emotional writing, Sack: it's extremely moving and very emotional, yet easy to grasp. My hat's off to you!

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Heartwarming..

Beautiful. Simply beautiful.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago

Just what I needed, another depressing Christmas story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago

I second that emotion.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous