Alone with the Trees

Story Info
Seventeen years create changes for Adrian and Christine.
18.5k words
4.82
11.2k
32
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
PickFiction
PickFiction
1,433 Followers

All of my writing is fiction, and the stories and characters are products of my imagination. They were created for my fun and, hopefully, your enjoyment. Some of the events in the stories are not particularly condoned nor encouraged by the author but are there to create and enhance the story of the imaginary characters and their lives. Comments are always encouraged and carefully reviewed. All characters within the story that need to be are 18 years of age or older. I hope you enjoy! And take a second to vote and comment.

◇-◇-◇-◇

SENIOR PROM 2006 the big sign said, and I could barely believe I was there to see it. And I was there with none other than Christine Cummings, much to the chagrin of half of the male members of the senior class. It was difficult to imagine that it had happened. I had asked her early, on a whim since I knew that she would get a hundred invitations, and when she said yes, I nearly wet my pants. I started to ask her if she was sure but cut off before I said it.

It was several weeks before the prom, and I was beaming, although I found I hadn't become one of Christine's close buddies, or maybe close friends was a more appropriate way of saying it. She spoke to me when we passed in the hall, which was new, but that was the extent of our familiarity.

I told my best friend Les that Christine was going to the prom with me, and he nearly choked because he was laughing so hard. I decided I wouldn't share my good fortune with anyone else.

Of course, my mind was in a turmoil most of the time, often wondering if I had only imagined Christine saying yes. That thought tormented me daily, and it was often her bright "hello" that made it seem real again.

Two days before the prom, she slipped me a piece of paper with her address, phone number, and some simple instructions, i.e., call me to finalize our arrangements. "Finalize" seemed a bit strange since there'd been no preliminaries that needed finalization. But I was more than happy that I had Christine's phone number and would be calling her, probably tomorrow. And I was the only one that would be calling her about prom details. I was still trying to wrap my mind around the fact that she'd said yes.

"Hello." A bit of a questioning tone to her voice.

"Hi, Christine. This is Adrian."

"Oh, hi, Adrian. I'm so glad you called. I was getting anxious about prom night."

"Oh...um...sorry. I just wanted to make sure everything was set before I called."

"Nice. Go ahead, then."

"Well, I have an idea. I hope you're okay with it."

"Oh? Some kind of surprise?"

I thought I heard a tiny laugh. It was now or never. My mom had insisted I do it, so I had little choice, not having a lot of experience with dating and proms.

"Um, how would you like to go to Reeb's for dinner at about seven?"

I was totally ready for a refusal on that one, but Mom had insisted.

"That sounds like fun. I know some of the others are going to Willard's, too."

A quick shifting of gears. "We could go there if you'd like."

"If you've planned on Reebs, that sounds perfect to me."

What was going on here? This was Christine Cummings I was talking with, and she was being kind, considerate, and very sweet...with me, Adrian, the bumpkin.

"I have a reservation for seven, so I'll pick you up about twenty till if you think that will work."

"My dad likes Reebs, and we've eaten there several times. I think twenty till sounds perfect, and I'll be ready. I'm looking forward to it, Adrian."

I hoped she couldn't hear my heart pounding as I heard her say, "I'm looking forward to it." Geesh, this was Christine Cummings, in my opinion, the best-looking girl in our class. Not everyone agreed with me, but it didn't matter. She was.

Of course, it was near the end of April, and the weather was very warm, which allowed for all kinds of possibilities in the way of apparel. I was pretty anxious (read that drooling) thinking about how Christine might be attired. Whatever it might be, I knew she'd be beautiful. I had a summer-weight suit that I thought looked nice and was a little cooler than my regular dress suit.

Dad had just picked up a used 2004 Volkswagen Jetta that he was allowing me to use, after a long lecture, of course. I had cleaned it, even though Mom wouldn't tolerate even the suggestion of dirt in the new car. A couple of spritzes from the can of "New Car Aroma" I'd picked up for the occasion, and I was ready.

At precisely twenty minutes before seven, I knocked on the door of the Cummings house. Five seconds later, the door opened...and I couldn't breathe. She was breathtaking in a lime green strapless dress, not exactly revealing cleavage, but not hiding the swell of her breasts either. I'm six foot three, and, with her heels, she was nearly eye-to-eye with me.

"Adrian, come on in," she said, extending her hand to take mine. "I want to introduce you to my parents."

I was properly introduced, fumbling with exactly what to say as was my wont. Christine and her parents seemed to ignore it and did everything they could to make me feel at ease. I was sure they were curious as to why their daughter had accepted an invitation to the prom from me.

"Pardon me for being a pushy mom, but there's a reason for it. What time are you guys planning to be home?"

I looked at Christine, wondering.

Her turn to look back at me with a big smile. "Eleven-thirty, okay?"

I wasn't going to disagree. "Sounds good."

"Mom, go ahead and tell him."

"Adrian, I've made my signature pecan pie, and I'm inviting you to come in when you bring Christine home to share a piece with us and tell us about the prom."

More time with Cnristine, so how could I refuse? "Pecan pie, huh," I said with a big smile.

"I think you've got him, Mom."

"We'll see you then," Christine said, taking hold of my arm as the parents told us to have fun.

My dream was coming to fruition.

There was one other prom couple at Reeb's, but they showed no interest in joining us, so Christine and I had a table to ourselves. As we sat down, I wondered what we'd talk about.

"Only two more weeks of school," Christine began. "I can hardly believe it after thirteen long years. What are you doing to do now?"

That was just one of the questions for which I had no answer at the moment.

"I've been considering several things, Christine. Dad would like me to go to technical school to learn some kind of a trade. Mom wants me to go to the community college and get at least a two-year diploma and then on to a four-year college if possible. I've actually looked into the military as a way of getting some free training while I'm earning a living, meager as it might be." I thought that sounded a little frail, but it was the truth.

"Wow, lots of options, Adrian. Good luck in whichever one you choose."

"How about you?"

"I'm headed to Stanford to study biology, I think. My parents want me to get a medical degree of some kind, but I'm not sure yet."

"Stanford. That's in northern California, isn't it?"

"Yeah, Palo Alto, if you know where that is."

I laughed. I was with the smartest, most beautiful, and talented girl I'd ever been around, and she was making me feel perfectly comfortable like I belonged here. I mean, I'm not ugly, but I'm never going to be a movie star or in one of those aftershave commercials, either.

"You going to play volleyball there?"

"I'm going to try. They've had fantastic teams every year and are expected to be one of the top two or three in the country next year. I hope I can be a part of it."

"My gosh, Christine. Top two or three in the country. Good luck on that." I loved sports and had seen her play several times and knew she'd been all-state the last three years and for good reason. I debated as to whether to ask her if she'd gotten a scholarship. "Were you lucky enough to get a scholarship for your volleyball?" As the words left my mouth, I could have kicked myself. She wouldn't get it because she was lucky but because she was good.

"A partial for volleyball and a couple of scholastic ones as well, so I'm all set."

I think "all set" only told half the story. Christina was "all set" without any of those scholarships, as far as I was concerned.

Dinner was good, and I don't think Christine even noticed that every male in the restaurant was ogling her at one time or another. Initially, I was jealous, but then I began to feel almost aristocratic, being the escort of this compelling girl.

On the ride to the prom, Christine asked, "What kind of music and dancing do you like, Adrian?" From the corner of my eye, I could see that she was looking directly at me, and it was all I could do to keep from meeting her eye. Dad had emphasized safety during my lecture, so I kept my eyes on the road.

"I like most music, but..." this was a little embarrassing, "but I'm not much of a dancer." I knew that before I asked Christine for the date, but since I'd expected a "no" answer, I didn't think it mattered.

She reached across and touched my arm. "Don't worry, we'll get along fine."

I was almost ready to ask her why she had agreed to go to the prom with me, but I wasn't quite that comfortable with her yet, even though she seemed to be doing her best to make me as comfortable as possible. Maybe later, or maybe I didn't want to know.

As soon as I opened the passenger-side door of the Jetta and Christine stepped out, she took hold of my arm, gave me a big smile, and said, "Let's go have some fun."

We walked into the big hall just like that, and I have to say that I think everyone in the place looked at us with surprise. With the slightest pressure on my arm, she directed us toward a table directly under the big senior prom sign, where several of her friends were seated.

"You guys all know Adrian, don't you?"

Some nods and a couple of yeahs came from people who probably knew who I was since the school wasn't that large, but none of them knew me or have ever talked to me. I knew all of their brains were in gear, the tiny wheels working to come up with a reason that Christine was at the prom with me. Evidently, she hadn't shared that information with any of them.

"What's that you're drinking, Haley?" she asked her best friend.

"Some kind of punch they made. It's good," Haley replied.

"No kick to it, though," someone else said to several laughs.

Christine glanced at me.

"I'll be right back," I said as I headed for the table with the big punch bowl.

A parent was manning the punch service, and I received two filled glasses along with a "have a good time."

That was my plan.

As I headed toward the table, I could see everyone there leaning toward Christine, and they all appeared to be talking at once. I was sure there were mostly questions, and my name was in all of them.

"Thank you so much, Adrian. That's very sweet of you," Christine said when I set the glass of punch in front of her. She took a sip and looked at Haley. "You're right, it's good." Another sip and a smile toward me.

We sat at the table and talked, waiting for the music to begin. Actually, I listened while the others talked as I didn't have a lot to contribute to their conversation. But, when the music began, Christine was on her feet almost instantly, her hand extended toward mine. I took hold and followed her to the dance floor, possibly walking but most likely floating on air.

I had danced some with a couple of other girls at football dances, so I knew a little of what to do. But doing it with Christine seemed almost surreal. The smile never left her face as I put my arm around her waist, and her arm went around my shoulder. Her hand gripped mine tightly, and the aroma of whatever perfume she was wearing found its way to the "permanent memory" portion of my brain.

"Don't worry," she said softly, close to my ear. "You just move around, and I'll follow your lead."

I began to move in what I thought might be dancing motions, and Christine was right there with me, nodding, smiling, and occasionally gracing me with a "very nice." Having her so close to me with her big brown eyes fixed on mine was, well, indescribable, to tell the truth. It was a reverie of bliss that I prayed would never end, despite knowing that it had to end sometime soon. But I planned to absorb every look, touch, aroma, and word of this evening.

The music ended, and we returned to the table for some quick refreshments that I'd grabbed as we passed the table filled with plates of cookies and snacks. Christine took another sip of her punch and leaned in close to me.

"You did well with the dancing, but I have an idea. If we get a little closer together, I think I can lead a little, and you can follow, and you'll learn an official dance. You seem coordinated, and I think you'll get it in one dance."

Closer together? It didn't matter what else she said, those were the two words that spoke to me much clearer than all the rest. I was surely game.

After the dancing, the conversation seemed much more centered between couples and not so much general around the table than it had previously been.

"Wow, just two more weeks," Christine said, looking up at the big sign.

"And you'll be off to sunny California."

"Not until August," she said with a chuckle. "I'm going to work at my dad's company for a couple of months, just helping out here and there. That will give me a little spending money to take with me." She was biting her lower lip.

"That's a long way from home, isn't it?" I ventured.

She looked at me quickly, the smile gone.

"And a little scary as well. I've been away from home for summer camps and volleyball camps, but never more than a couple of hundred miles, and they only lasted a week. Palo Alto is almost twenty-five hundred miles, and I won't be coming home on the weekends." A chuckle that didn't sound very sincere. "Plus, I doubt that I'll know a single soul there."

This was the first time I'd seen Christine, who always seemed to have the world at her feet, look and sound a little uncertain. I'd only really seen her from a distance, except for tonight, but this seemed foreign to her.

"How about volleyball people? Will you know any of them?"

"That's right," she said, the smile returning. "There's a girl I've played against three or four times that they recruited last year. I don't know her very well, but she'll be a familiar face. Thanks for reminding me."

The big smile had returned just as the music started.

We'd waited out the two fast dances, I think Christine sensing that I wasn't quite ready for that. A wise choice by her, indeed. But another slow number had begun, and I was ready.

"Let's go and see how our big experiment works." A bright giggle from her.

When we faced each other, her arm around my shoulder pulled me tighter against her, our legs touching, her breasts pressed against my chest, and her face dangerously close to mine.

"Let's both just slide our feet so we don't trample each other."

I nodded, and we began to move.

As Christine guided me around the floor with subtle pressure here and there, I found I was able to pick up a pattern. Of course, with our bodies snuggled together with her pressing against me one way and another, there was a natural reaction that I prayed she couldn't sense. If she did, it was never obvious. Near the end of the song, I was feeling bold.

"Let me try," I whispered in her ear, and she moved slightly away from me.

I began mimicking the movement she had shown me. The music ended a little too quickly for my liking, but when Christine stopped and looked at me with a knowing look on her face, I wondered.

"Adrian, that was nearly perfect. You are a quick learner. Maybe a fast one later on. You watch, and I bet you can pick it up from that."

We danced a few more slow dances, and I gamely tried a fast one with not nearly as much success. But, fumbling, bumbling, or dancing smoothly, just being with Christine was captivating, even more so than I'd imagined it would be. For me, at least, she was the ultimate.

But eleven o'clock came at last, and we walked back to the car, Christine clutching my arm with both hands now, her huge smile bathing me in its glow.

"So I don't forget to say it later, I had a wonderful time, Adrian. You're, well, very different from most boys that I go out with, and it was very refreshing."

What was it about me that was refreshing? I needed to know as it might be useful in the future.

"How do you mean that, Christine?"

She laughed. "I mean it in a very good way. You were just natural and easy to be with, with no pretenses or predilections."

I wasn't sure of that last word, but I was willing to accept it as good.

Her parents were waiting for us with freshly cut slices of pecan pie. Christine reminded me that it was her mother's "signature" pecan pie, I think sending a subtle reminder to compliment her. The pie was the best I'd ever had, and there was no chance of me not complimenting her.

They wanted to hear all about the prom, including decorations, refreshments, and, most importantly, the dancing. Christine looked at me with raised eyebrows, and I answered with a nod. She related the story of our evening of dancing, including my learning the foxtrot--I'd learned that's what it was called. The smiles I received as she told the story were priceless.

At last, my conscience notified me that I needed to leave. My evening in heaven was about to end.

"Let me walk you to your car," she said, taking hold of my arm one last time as we slipped out the front door. She squeezed the arm as we made our way to the Jetta.

"Adrian, I can't begin to tell you how much I enjoyed tonight, so let me try to show you." Her hands went to my cheeks, and a pair of warm and tender lips pressed gently against mine. A near eternity later, they left with a gentle pop.

I felt like thanking her for making my life complete.

"Me too, Christine. It was wonderful." It was now or never. "You and I didn't know each other before, and yet you said yes when I asked you to the prom."

"That's all true, Adrian."

The look on her face said she was teasing me. It made me feel good that she'd do that.

"I was just, um, curious about why, you know, you said yes."

"Adrian, don't be silly," she said, grabbing my hand. "You called, I didn't have a date, so I said yes. And I'm glad I did."

During the last two weeks of school, we often passed in the halls, always waving and calling hello. Of course, my friends grilled me mercilessly about the date...how was being with Cristina, was she a good kisser, and did I get any? I just shook my head to all their questions, leading to endless speculation.

On the last day of school, she stopped me in the hall.

"Adrian, have you decided yet what the future holds for you?"

I sighed, a half-smile on my face. "I think I'm just going to enlist, hopefully, get a few promotions, and leave after twenty years with a good retirement, and I'll only be thirty-eight."

"Wow, sounds like a great plan."

I never tired of that gorgeous smile.

"Still off to Stanford?"

"Yes, and I leave very early for a special volleyball camp, and then practice begins, as well as classes. I'll be busy for sure."

"But you'll be successful simply because you're Christine, and you do everything well."

"I hope," she said, looking a little less positive.

"You have my number. Keep me informed if you can."

"I will, and same for you." She quickly looked around and mouthed me a kiss.

I checked and sent one back to her.

She went one way, and I went the other, heading for the rest of our lives.

The prom date had been the best day of my life. Little did I imagine that it would be downhill from there.

◇-◇-◇-◇

"Adrian, you need to order bacon. Three of that group of six farmers that came in this morning had double orders, and we were already low." Jane held the last five-pound package in the air to emphasize her point.

PickFiction
PickFiction
1,433 Followers