Altering the Plans Ch. 02

Story Info
Toby tries to figure out where Maya fits in.
10.3k words
4.78
6.8k
7

Part 2 of the 8 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 07/04/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
PennLady
PennLady
1,733 Followers

Content warning: this story features a main character who leaves an abusive relationship, and whose ex engages in harassment post breakup. I would characterize it, in terms of storytelling, as "mild", although I realize that no abuse is mild or justified.

Chapter 2

Toby woke up early after a fitful night's sleep and decided he'd try to paint. He went into the guest room he kept as a studio and flipped on the lights. He put a new canvas on the easel and tried to turn his thoughts to colors and designs.

He picked up his palette and glanced at the colors on it. There were a lot of reds, but that wasn't what he wanted. Reds didn't work for Maya, he thought.

He barely knew her but couldn't get her out of his thoughts. Some people might put their thoughts into a journal; Toby put his into paint on canvas.

Maya made him think of cool blues and greens, with flecks of gold like the ones in her eyes, and also, some black. It bled into the other colors as he dabbed some paints and strokes on the canvas. He frowned; he didn't like to think of her being scared, but he didn't know what he could do about it.

He put down the paints when his phone chirped. Krista texted, reminding him of the morning plans, and Jackson's text came next, saying he was ready to go.

Toby drove his pick-up truck to Jackson's before heading over to get Krista and Maya. The truck had seen better days, but when it came to moving and hauling, it was indispensable. The trusty gray pick-up had been used to move him, Krista, and assorted other people.

He wondered how much stuff Maya would have, and hoped none of it was furniture. The quicker they could be in and out, the better.

"Can we stop for some breakfast?" Jackson asked as he climbed in. "I'm out of food."

Toby snorted. "You're not out of food. You're just lazy. Come on, not even cereal?"

Jackson shook his head. "You are so mean. I'll forgive you. I'll put it up to a lousy night's sleep."

Toby had to laugh despite himself, even though his friend wasn't wrong.

"Besides," said Jackson, "I can't cook, you know that. And breakfast is my favorite meal."

"True." Toby nodded. He'd known Jackson for years and could probably count on one hand the times he'd seen the man even use a microwave.

"What do you think the girls will want?" asked Jackson. "Wait, sorry. The ladies. The women. I shouldn't say girls."

"I don't think they'd care," said Toby, "but okay. Why don't you text Krista and ask?"

Jackson jabbed at his phone, which always amused Toby. For some reason his friend seemed to think he needed to whack the phone into submission.

"Krista says she'll take a sandwich, and Maya said she's good."

"Okay. We'll swing by McDonald's on the way. It's easiest."

"My favorite." Jackson grinned. "Thanks, man. That gets the day off to a good start."

"Happy to help." Toby covered a yawn.

"I was kidding about the lousy night's sleep," said Jackson. "You okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine." Toby didn't want to admit he'd hardly slept. He'd lain awake, staring at the ceiling or the wall, wondering what had come over him. It was all related to Maya, he didn't question that. But then he was lost. Did he like her? Was he just feeling sorry for her?

And what next? Say he liked her—there was nothing saying she liked him. She'd been afraid of him, which he'd never intended. In the dark, he'd gone over the afternoon in his head repeatedly and each time his behavior seemed worse. When he'd at last fallen asleep, long past midnight, he had thought he was lucky Maya hadn't cowered in the corner.

"You're thinking about Maya," Jackson said.

"What? What are you talking about? How could you possibly know what I'm thinking?"

"I'd say you're an open book, but it's really a matter of deduction." Jackson held up a hand and ticked off his points with his fingers. "First, you're going to help a stranger move. You're a good guy, Toby, but not usually that good. Second, you haven't been yourself since she came in yesterday. You miscounted the register three times when you closed."

Toby wanted to protest but couldn't. Jackson was right.

"Third, I know you feel bad you scared her, because going back to point one, you're a good guy. So." Jackson nodded for emphasis. "You were thinking about her, and couldn't sleep, and are thinking about her now. Am I wrong?"

"No." Toby sighed. "Nice going, detective."

They pulled in to the drive thru and Toby ordered, making sure to include a sandwich for Maya. He was willing to bet she needed to eat, and if not, he was sure Jackson would take any extra food.

"What are you going to do about it?" Jackson asked as they drove to Krista's.

"About what?"

"Maya. The fact that you're into her. Going to ask her out?"

"Jesus, man. Give her a break. She just broke up with her boyfriend, and he hit her." Toby was still angry about that. "I seriously doubt she's looking to go out with anyone at the moment."

"Yeah, you're right." Jackson nodded. "She needs a little time."

Toby parked and turned off the ignition. "I hope this goes smoothly," he said as they got out of the truck. "And you." He pointed at his friend. "Don't. I know you. Don't."

"Me?" Jackson looked pained. "Don't do what?"

"Don't conspire with Krista to set me up with Maya."

"Would I do that?"

"Yes."

Jackson got the food while Toby got the coffee. "I'm not nearly as sneaky as you think I am," Jackson said. "Besides, I've already told you. You're into her, you should ask her out."

"Leave it alone, Jacks." Toby stood aside with the drinks while Jackson knocked on the door. He heard Krista yell something and walked in as Jackson held the door.

"Hi, guys." Krista came and took one of the cups. "Oh, good, more coffee." She opened the lid and drank almost half of it in one go. "Wonderful."

"How can you do that?" Toby shook his head. "It didn't cool off that much."

"Never mind. Where's the food? I'm starved." Krista led them into the kitchen, where Maya sat at the table, staring at her phone.

Toby didn't like the look on her face as she tapped and scrolled. Nor did he like the bruise, which was darker than the day before. The slightly-large clothes she wore made her look small and vulnerable. It was hard not to go into angry protective mode, but he reined himself in; after all, he barely knew her and she might not appreciate that from a stranger.

"Hi, Maya," Jackson said as he put the food down.

She looked up, startled, then relaxed. "Hello, Jackson. Thanks so much," she said. "Hi, Toby." She darted a glance at him but looked away quickly.

"No problem. Here, have something to eat." Jackson unloaded the bag and pushed a sandwich towards her. "Lacey around?" he asked Krista, and Toby detected a hopeful note in his friend's voice, and some disappointment when Krista said Lacey was at work.

"Oh, thanks, but I'm not hungry," said Maya.

"You should eat," said Toby, and winced when Maya jumped. He took a breath and ignored Krista's glare. "Sorry, I'm not a morning person. But really, you should have something. Ow." He rubbed his arm where his sister had smacked him.

"He's not the most tactful, but he's right, Maya," said Krista. "Don't make yourself sick on top of everything."

"I know. Thanks." Maya looked at Toby and held his gaze, which he took for progress. "I appreciate the offer, but I really couldn't eat right now. I'm too nervous. I think once I have my stuff, I'll be good." She set her phone down and he saw her hands shaking a little; she really was nervous, he realized.

"Do you have a lot of stuff?" Jackson asked as he ate.

"No, mostly clothes," said Maya. "My computer, my portfolio—that's about it. I, um, started to get it together last night so it should be pretty quick."

Toby saw her put her hands in her lap, presumably to hide the trembling.

"So no furniture? No big sofas or anything?" Jackson asked.

"The biggest item is a sewing machine, and it's not that big and all packed up."

"Thank god." Jackson made a show of wiping his brow in relief and Maya laughed.

Toby ignored the twinge of jealousy that tugged at him.

"Are you ready, Maya?" Krista asked as they finished.

"No, but let's go." Maya gave one last glance at her phone. "The sooner we do this, the sooner it's over."

Toby and Jackson followed Krista and after about twenty minutes, they pulled up in front of a brick-front two-story townhouse. The tiny lawn was neat and the house looked well-maintained. Toby was surprised; he'd expected something different. More ostentatious, perhaps, since Dean had seemed like the type to want to show off.

"Ready?" Jackson asked as they joined the women.

"As I'll ever be," Maya said, but didn't move.

"Come on, it'll be quick." Jackson slung an arm around Maya's shoulders and nudged her forward. Maya gave him a startled look, but didn't make him move his arm.

Damn it, Toby thought. How can he do that? If I'd done it, she'd have run away.

They reached the front steps and Dean opened the door.

"Maya, you're back. Thank god, I was so worried."

x-x-x-x-x-x

Crap, Maya thought as she stopped. She hadn't realized how much she'd been counting on Dean not being home. She didn't buy his concern for a second.

Jackson gave Maya's shoulder a squeeze, which gave her some encouragement. She liked Jackson and his laid-back personality, which made her wonder why she wished it was Toby next to her instead. That was stupid. He didn't even like her. Focus, she told herself.

"Hello, Dean. I'm here for my things."

"Look, Maya, you're overreacting, like you always do. You know you want to come back. You don't need these people here." He was performing the role of the worried boyfriend, but she saw it was just that—an act.

"These people are my friends," she said, "and I don't want to come back. I want to get my things and leave."

"Come on, we can talk about this," Dean said. He reached for her but she jerked back and his expression grew angry. "I'm not letting these strangers in my house."

"Then we'll wait here until you let us in," said Krista. "Take your time, we've got all day." She leaned against the stair railing and pulled out her phone, as though she had nowhere else to be.

Maya appreciated the gesture, but knew it wasn't true. She wanted to get this done and not impose on them any longer than she had to.

"Maya, please." Dean tried again. "Just come inside and the two of us can figure it out. By ourselves."

"Look, dude," said Jackson, "just step aside and let the lady get her things."

Maya was about to say she'd go in alone, just to get it over with, but stopped. She saw what Dean was doing: working to get her inside alone so that he could try to convince her to come back and be his punching bag, maybe literally, again. She'd almost fallen for it, but after talking with Krista and Lacey, she could see through him.

It struck her that having friends was giving her the strength to do this. All her life, she'd been told she should only rely on herself, and maybe a few select others. To do otherwise was to impose on people and a sign of weakness. Because of that mindset, she'd often gone along with the flow in situations, like this one, that were detrimental to her.

That was wrong, and she filed it away for later. She could handle this now. She patted Jackson's hand and went up so that she was on the porch with Dean.

"Dean, let us in or I'll call the police."

He laughed and gave her a condescending look as his concerned façade fell away. "Maya, for fuck's sake, you're being melodramatic. Plus, I work in the mayor's office."

"I don't care. I'm trying to collect my things, and you won't let me, so you're not leaving me much choice." She pulled out her phone and began looking for the local police number.

"Fine. Christ. Go in." He waved at the door.

Maya was relieved. She was acting braver than she felt, but at least it was paying off.

Maya led Krista upstairs to the bedroom and opened the drawers where she'd put some clothes. Krista began folding while Maya went to the guest room for her the other clothes she'd put there the night before, and her suitcase. Toby and Jackson had come inside as well, but waited by the front door.

She turned to take her suitcase and jumped when she turned around to find Dean in the doorway.

"Dean, let me by, please." She made herself look him in the eyes.

"Maya, come on. I'm sorry, all right?" His voice was calm but she could see the anger simmering in his eyes.

"Fine, thank you for the apology. Now please, move."

"Look, you know I have a short temper. I was in a bad head space yesterday." He reached for her hand but she recoiled.

She pushed past him and went to the bedroom, then turned to face him. "You hit me." She pointed at the bruise on her cheek. "You hit me, in the face, in front of people. That's not a 'bad head space.' That's abuse, and I won't put up with it."

He glared. "It was once, and I apologized. If you hadn't made me mad, it wouldn't have happened."

"No," Maya retorted. "You do not get to blame me for your lack of control. You're a fucking grown man, you should be able to handle things without hitting people."

"Maya, you know I have a short temper." His face darkened.

"So what?" she snapped back. "Lots of people have tempers and they manage the simple act of not hitting people, and not bashing them online." Maya shook her head and went to help Krista. "Good god, why did I put up with this for so long?"

"Maya, goddamn it, I will say when we're over, and we are not over." Dean grabbed her arm and squeezed hard as he pulled her back.

That'll be another bruise, Maya thought, and tried to yank her arm away. She couldn't, and despite her anger felt fear rising; would he hit her again, despite Krista in the room and the other men in the house?

Krista stalked over, calling for Toby and Jackson as she got between Dean and Maya.

"Let her go, you asshole." Krista glared at Dean and slammed her hand down on his arm. Whether it was the force or the surprise of the blow, he let go.

Maya could only breathe for a second, glad for Krista's steadying presence. Fear, pain and anger all swirled within her and it took a minute to regain her equilibrium. She was about to say never mind and just leave everything.

"Don't get in my way again," Dean growled at Krista.

Without thinking, Maya turned and stepped between them, bracing for a hit, but when nothing happened, she risked a look around.

x-x-x-x-x-x

"Toby! Jackson!"

"Krista?" Toby yelled as he dashed up the stairs, Jackson right behind him. "Krista, you okay?"

Toby followed the voices down the hall and saw Dean raising his hand. In two long strides he reached them and blocked the blow. He registered Maya and Krista standing together. Krista had an arm around Maya's shoulder as though hugging her, and Maya was facing Krista.

Just like Krista to get all protective, Toby thought.

"Get your fucking hands off me." Dean tried to tug his arm free of Toby's grasp.

"Did he hit you?" Toby asked Krista, ignoring Dean's efforts. "Are you two okay?"

"We're fine," Krista said. "This dickhead just doesn't know when to take no for an answer. Do you have everything?" she asked Maya.

Maya nodded and made an effort to calm her breathing. She looked frayed but gathered herself. "I just need my clothes. If you, um, if you can just toss them in the suitcase, that's fine. Doesn't need to be neat. The rest of my stuff is downstairs."

"Jackson, stay here," said Toby. "Krista, can you finish with the clothes? I'll go help Maya get her things. You," he said to Dean. "Stay here and don't move."

Dean started to say something and Jackson cut him off.

"Shut up," Jackson said with uncharacteristic anger. "Just stay there, and don't say a goddamn thing. Go on, Toby."

Toby put a careful hand on Maya's shoulder. "Come on, let's go downstairs."

He followed her down the steps and had the feeling she was barely hanging on. She was flushed, her eyes were bright and her hands shook a little. Still, she moved efficiently, finding her computer and various accessories. He spied a plastic bag and brought it over, and she nodded her thanks as she dumped cords and chargers into it.

"That everything?" he asked.

"Just about. The sewing machine is over there." She turned to show him. Her eyes went wide and she clapped a hand over her mouth when she saw her sewing machine in pieces on the floor.

Toby wanted to take each piece and shove them down Dean's throat, but he held himself steady. It was more important to get Maya out of here, and she was at the end of her rope.

"Shit. Goddamn it." Maya pinched the bridge of her nose and took a deep breath.

Toby wanted to go offer some support, but wasn't sure if he should, or how it would be received, and so waited to see what she did.

"Okay, okay," Maya said. She exhaled. "It's just a thing. Just a thing. My camera's in the suitcase, and I just need my portfolio. I'm not sure where I left it." She rubbed a hand over her face and forced a laugh. "The damn thing is big, it's not the type of thing that's easy to lose."

"Is it upstairs? I can go get it, or have the others look."

"It might be, but I think the last place I had it was down here. I'll just look quickly." She ran a hand through her hair and went into the kitchen.

Toby wanted to follow her, but stayed in case Dean came downstairs. No way was he letting that jerk anywhere near Maya.

She came out of the kitchen holding a large leather folio, her lips pressed into a thin line.

"Everything okay?"

She paused before speaking, and even then had to try again when her voice caught. "No, but I have it. He poured water on it or something. It doesn't matter. I can recreate most of the stuff. I just—" She swallowed. "I need to get out of here."

"Damn straight." Toby went to the foot of the steps. "You guys done? Maya says she's ready to go."

"Okay." Krista came to the top of the stairway. "Maya, do you need to check for anything else? I've looked as best I can."

Toby glanced at Maya, who just shook her head.

"She says no," he said.

"Okay. Down in a second," said Krista. She disappeared and came back a minute later pulling Maya's suitcase after her. Jackson followed, keeping an eye on Dean, who glared as he sulked but didn't say anything.

"Let's go," said Krista. She handed the suitcase off to Toby and went to get Maya. "Come on, sweetie. We're done."

"The fuck we are," Dean snapped. "Maya, get back here, we are not finished." Any pretense of friendliness was gone.

"Listen, man—" Toby began. He didn't like to get in the middle of other people's arguments, but he was willing to make an exception here.

"Dean, shut the fuck up."

Toby, along with the others, stared at Maya. He watched warily as she stepped over and stood in front of Dean.

Maya's voice was quiet but firm. "Dean, to be clear: I. Am. Breaking. Up. With. You. I don't care if you like it or not. It's not up to you. Do not talk to me. Do not text. Do not call. If you do, I will document it all and call the police and get a restraining order, and I don't give a damn who you work for. I have pictures of my face to back it up and I'll get some of my arm too." She turned to Krista. "Let's go."

Dean seethed but said nothing as they left, slamming the door after them. They loaded Maya's things in the truck bed, although Toby noticed it would easily have fit in Krista's car. She really had just picked up and moved, he realized. That took some guts.

"Let's get this back to the house, and then we can get to the store," Krista said. "Toby, do you think it'd be okay if I took the day off? I don't think it's that busy."

"Sure, that'd be fine." He nodded.

"No, it's okay," said Maya. "I appreciate it, Krista, but you can go to work. I'll be fine."

PennLady
PennLady
1,733 Followers