Altering the Plans Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Toby didn't think so, and could see that Krista didn't either.

"Let's get back. We'll sort things out then," said Krista.

Smart, thought Toby. Krista was always smart. Knew when to have an argument, when not to, and when to let it wait.

Back at the house it didn't take long to get Maya's things inside. Toby wondered what to do next. He didn't like the idea of leaving her alone at the house. Dean didn't know where Krista lived, but it probably wouldn't be too hard to find out. He wondered if he was being paranoid, but figured it was better to be safe than sorry.

"Well, that was a hell of a thing," said Jackson, dropping into a chair. "I swear, if it wasn't before noon, I think I'd happily down a few shots of something."

"It's five o'clock somewhere," Toby said, but the joke was flat.

"Oh, god. I'm so glad that's done." Krista came downstairs and flopped onto the sofa. "I'm exhausted and it's barely—" she checked her phone for the time "—eleven. Christ."

"How's she doing?" asked Jackson.

"Okay, I think," said Krista. "She didn't say much, but it's a lot to process."

"I bet. You know, I'm sure she appreciated it, but I didn't want you to get physical with that guy," Toby said to her.

"Then he shouldn't have gotten physical with her," said Krista. "Besides, it's not what you think. He grabbed her arm, and I made him let go, then right before you came up and it looked like he wanted to hit one of us, she turned to get between him and me. She was protecting me."

"Oh." Toby didn't know what to say and fell back on sibling banter. "Like you needed it."

"I know." Krista sighed. "She's something, isn't she? Wow, I'm glad we found her. I think she would have gotten away from him, but it might have taken too long. He was such a creep. I'm glad I talked her out of doing this by herself."

"Me too," said Toby. Dean had no doubt taken his anger out on Maya's sewing machine, and Toby was sure Dean would have taken it out on Maya if she'd been alone.

"Found her," Jackson said with a smile. "Like she's a stray."

"Don't knock it," said Toby. "You were a stray too."

"Yeah, yeah, I was," Jackson agreed. "Thanks, guys."

Krista smiled and patted his arm. "Any time. Okay, now that we've had time to regroup, the question is what do we next? None of us want to leave her here alone, right?"

"Damn straight," said Toby.

"Oh, Toby, before I forget, I checked in with Ashlee. She told me your two o'clock called and rescheduled for four." Krista yawned.

"All right." Toby thought. He wasn't sure how well the idea would go over, especially with Maya, but it was worth a shot. "Since that's the case, what if I stay here for a while? At least until Lacey gets home? I don't want to make Maya uncomfortable, but we need a plan."

"Hold on, let me text Lacey." Krista sat up took out her phone. "She usually comes home around three or so, but sometimes she gets held up."

"I'll go back to the shop," said Jackson. "We shouldn't leave Ashlee alone for too long, and I do have an appointment."

"Maybe you should stay," said Toby, rethinking the plan. "She likes you better. We could offer to reschedule, maybe even give a discount."

"Well, sure she likes me better," said Jackson. "I'm not as scary as you. But don't worry. She'll warm up when she gets to know you. Just don't be, so, you know, intimidating."

"Thanks," Toby said drily.

"Hey, Maya. You okay?" Krista asked as the other woman came down the stairs.

"Yeah, mostly." She tried a smile, but Toby could see it was an effort. "I didn't realize you'd all still be here. Thank you so much for everything."

"Now, listen," said Krista, "you're about to say that we should go and you'll be fine. And I'm sure you would be, but I'm going to ask you to humor us."

"Right," said Jackson. "Especially me. I didn't like that guy. So, if you don't mind, one of us is going to stay here at the house with you for a bit. We'll take turns so you won't get too sick of us."

Maya laughed softly. "I see. Well, I don't see how I could refuse, and I'll be honest, I don't want to. I don't know what I would have done without you, all of you."

"Good, that's settled." Krista smiled. "Jackson and I are going to head to the shop and Toby will stay for a bit. Lacey should be home around three, she says."

Maya thanked them again and Krista and Jackson got up to leave, with Jackson already speculating on lunch possibilities. Toby smiled to himself. That was Jackson, he thought, moving on and not dwelling on things.

"I see you got the short straw," Maya said.

He was puzzled. "Pardon?"

x-x-x-x-x-x

"Well." She cleared her throat and looked away. "I mean, I appreciate that you're staying, and I won't get in your way. I know I can't be your favorite person, and I don't blame you. I'll just go upstairs and you can hang out or whatever until Lacey gets back."

Toby stared at her like she had three heads, and she seriously wished for a time machine to undo the last fifteen seconds.

"You think I don't like you?" Toby asked.

"I'm sorry. Never mind." She shook her head. "That was a really tactless thing for me to say, especially after all you've done. Whoa." A wave of light-headedness swept over her and she grabbed onto the chair in front of her for support.

In a flash, Toby came to steady her. His touch was surprisingly gentle, and whether he meant to or not, he'd gone to her uninjured side, which she appreciated.

"Are you all right?" he asked, and once again, sounded sharp.

Why, she wondered, can I not do anything right around him? She took a deep breath to steady herself. "I'm okay," she said. "Really. I'm just tired and hungry." And emotionally exhausted, and confused, she thought to herself.

"That's right. You never ate." Toby looked down at her. "How about I go get something? No, let's get something delivered. What do you like?"

"I don't know. I mean, I don't know what's around here. Something simple. A sandwich would be fine."

Toby placed an order for sandwiches and fries, then pulled out a chair at the kitchen table, indicated Maya should sit down and handed her a glass of water.

He sat across from her. She met his eyes, looked away, then repeated the action and sipped at the water. She had no idea what to say, and was confused because after all that had happened, she seemed to like him. She could feel the attraction on her part, but doubted it was returned, and had to wonder if it was just a rebound reaction to him being so helpful.

"Why do you think I don't like you?" he asked. He didn't seem angry, just curious.

Maya shrugged and fidgeted with the water glass. "I can't imagine I've made the best impression," she said. "I show up out of nowhere and just . . . I don't know. Ask for help all the time. I've been pretty needy for someone you just met." Plus there was the confrontation with her ex while she hid in the back of their store, and then putting Krista in physical danger, Maya thought but didn't say.

"Yeah, well, sometimes it happens that way."

Maya wanted to sink through the floor. What should she say now? With a sigh, she went for an apology. "I'm sorry. I said everything all wrong and shouldn't have said anything at all."

Toby nodded and said nothing. Maya was relieved when the doorbell rang. Toby went to the door and brought back the food.

"Hope you're hungry," he said as he unloaded the bag.

"Suddenly, I'm starved," said Maya. "These look terrific. Oh, and a salad. Great. Thank you so much. How did you know to get a salad?"

Toby shrugged. "You seemed like the salad type."

Maya nodded and sat down, thinking that Dean wouldn't have done such a thing. He had always rolled his eyes whenever she'd ordered one if they were out, and certainly wouldn't have gotten one for her on his own.

They dug into the food, eating in a calm and even friendly silence. It was nice, she thought, not to feel as though she had to have a response—or a defense—ready. God, how had she come to think a relationship like that was normal?

"That was wonderful, thank you." Maya sat back with a sigh. "I think that's the first stress-free meal I've had since I've moved here." She laughed and shook her head. "God, I am such a mess."

"Maya, I'm sorry you got the impression I don't like you. It's not true," Toby said.

Maya was startled by his abrupt approach, but didn't interrupt.

"Look, I'll be the first to say, I'm not the friendliest person. Not the most outgoing. Krista got all those genes. I know people often think I'm angry or rude, and I'm sorry for that."

"I'm sorry, too," said Maya. "I shouldn't have jumped to any conclusions."

"It's okay. I'm sure it seemed like I was pissed off, and I was in some ways, but not at you. I was a little freaked out, actually."

"You were?" She was surprised. "I have to say, it seems like it would take a lot to freak you out. Certainly more than a jerk like Dean."

"It wasn't Dean that freaked me out." He paused, then said, "It was you."

"Me?"

"Yeah."

"Why?"

"Because I like you. A lot, I think. I didn't like how he was treating you, and I didn't like seeing you scared. I wanted to do something about it, but I didn't know what and didn't think it was my place. That all took me by surprise." Toby huffed out a breath. "I'm sorry. That's a lot to lay on you, especially after all you've been through. Krista can tell you, I'm not good at being subtle."

She just stared at him. He liked her? After all this? Did she like him? Should she like him? She was glad she was sitting down because she feared her head might start spinning again.

"Look, I'm not—I don't—Jesus." He tried again. "I am not trying to pressure you. I am not going to stalk you, or try to convince you to go out with me. You have a lot to deal with, and you should deal with it."

"Okay." Maya nodded. "I, um, don't know quite what to say."

"You don't have to say anything. Listen, I'm going to call the shop and check in. You look beat, you should take a nap or something." He winced. "Sorry, that probably sounded kind of bossy."

Maya chuckled. "It's fine. You're right, I am tired. I'll deal with the trash here. Go on and call the store and tell them thanks again. And I'm grateful to you, too."

"For what?"

"For going with me of course, but also, you helped keep me steady after I saw the sewing machine." She swallowed back the fear that rose up at the memory. "Just knowing someone was there and on my side was—really helpful."

"Sure. You know," Toby said as he pulled out his phone, "I did want to ask you one thing."

"Okay."

"Why didn't you want a tattoo? Although not getting one with him is reason enough."

She bit her lip as she collected the sandwich wrappings. "That was part of it, but really, I can't handle needles. It's a phobia. I've all but passed out getting shots at the doctor's. I tried to donate blood once, and let's say it didn't go well."

"Sure, I get that." He nodded. "Look, for what it's worth, a tattoo gun isn't like that. Not like that kind of needle."

She laughed. "I'm not sure 'gun' makes it any better."

"I guess not." He paused. "Listen, if you want some time, I can show you how it all works. Not that you have to get a tattoo. But I could show you the equipment, and if you ever wanted to see one done, we have a lot of customers who wouldn't mind if you watched. Might make it a little less scary."

"Oh." She stopped and considered. "I hadn't thought about anything like that. Maybe one day I'll do that." She gave him a small, tired smile. "But not today. I think I've had enough."

"Sure. I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to add any more pressure."

"I know, and you're not. I appreciate it." It was sweet, she thought, that he'd offer like that. He didn't know how bad the phobia was, but she could deal with that later.

Toby nodded, apparently not sure what to say next, but she saved him the trouble.

"Go on, call the store. I'll finish here and then I think I will go take a nap or something. I didn't sleep well, and it's catching up with me."

"Good idea. I'll be around, let me know if you need anything."

"Thanks, Toby."

x-x-x-x-x-x

"Hey, man. You ready to lose?" Jackson asked as he stretched. "I've got new moves."

Toby laughed as he secured his shoelace. "Every time you get new moves, you fall down."

It had been three days since Toby had met Maya and had his emotions thrown into a blender. He and Jackson had come to a local basketball court to shoot some hoops and relax.

They were both fans of the game, but neither had ever been too interested in playing seriously. Toby had played in high school—recruited mostly because of his height, which he'd hit around age fifteen—did well and had enjoyed it, but when the coach began to make noises about a basketball scholarship, Toby had known it was time to quit. He didn't like it that much, and at the time wasn't sure a four-year college was the way he wanted to go.

But that was years ago, and now he and Jackson would toss the ball, shoot some baskets and talk a few times a week. Toby liked the physical activity, and as Krista noted, it got him out of the house.

"You're either at the store or at home," she'd said. "You'll turn into a mole-person if you don't get some sunlight."

What could he say? He wasn't the most extroverted person.

Toby got up and stretched himself, enjoying the sunlight and the pleasant fall weather. Krista was right, he needed to get out. He'd been feeling tense ever since meeting Maya, and hoped that running around on the court with Jackson would give him an outlet.

"All right, man," said Jackson as he bounced the ball. "Here we go." He dribbled, feinted to one side and darted to the other, threw the ball and missed the basket.

"What move was that?" Toby asked, grinning. "You don't get points for faking me out."

"Just warming up," said Jackson. "I'm giving you a false sense of security."

"Give me the ball, Steph Curry," said Toby.

Jackson passed it to him and Toby dribbled, deciding what to do. Jackson bounced on his feet, waiting to block. Toby went forward, dodged Jackson's block, and lobbed it through the rim.

"There," said Toby. "Moves."

Jackson waved a hand. "You're taller. You have an unfair advantage." He took the ball from Toby and bounced it.

"I'm not that much taller than you are," said Toby.

"Yeah, well, you're skinny, too. Hey, look, there's Maya."

Toby spun around and Jackson zipped past him and scored. Toby scowled at his friend. "That's cheating."

"All's fair in love and basketball," said Jackson as he passed Toby the ball. "Not my fault you're easily distracted."

"Fine. That's how it is? You got it." Toby powered through Jackson's block and shot the ball, getting the rebound when it bounced off the backboard.

"Foul! Foul!" cried Jackson.

"Yeah, yeah, cry me a river." Toby passed the ball back. "Come on, LeBron, let's see these new moves."

"Okay. Play to fifty?"

"If you last that long."

Jackson grinned and got down to business. When he wanted to, Toby knew, Jackson could be good at just about anything. Also sneaky, so Toby kept his guard up.

The two of them played, trading trash talk and insults and jokes, until Jackson got to the fiftieth point.

"Whoooo!" Jackson punched the air. "Ha! Take that!"

"Sit down," said Toby. He grinned and tossed his friend a bottle of water. "I'll alert the media for your victory parade later." He drained half a bottle himself. "Also, I would have won if you hadn't cheated."

"If you're not cheating, you're not trying," Jackson kidded. He took the water and sat on a bench.

"I'll remember that next time." Toby sat down and leaned back, soaking up the sun.

"Up for a rematch?" asked Jackson. "I'll give you a chance. You can cheat, too."

Toby laughed. "Yeah, I'll get right on that."

"Yeah, I need a break, too." Jackson drank the rest of his water. "Not as young as I used to be."

"None of us are," Toby agreed.

"Hey, listen, you mind if I come in late tomorrow? I don't have any appointments until about three."

"Sure. Krista and I can handle any walk-ins. Everything okay?" Toby asked.

Jackson shrugged and reached for another bottle of water. "I don't know. My mom wanted me to meet her and my brother." He gave Toby a dry look. "That'll be fun."

"Steve still having problems?"

"Oh, always." Jackson rolled his eyes. "But hey, let's coddle him because god forbid he has to stand on his own two feet." He shook his head. "I shouldn't say that. Anyway, I don't know what it's about but I suspect they're going to ask me for money, or to prop him up a while or something, and I'm not going to do it."

Toby nodded. Jackson's relationship with his family was fraught, and was what had brought him into Toby and Krista's orbit in the first place three years ago.

It had been an odd night that started with Jackson's brother breaking into the shop and ended with them hiring Jackson after he'd offered to work for Chandler Designs to pay off the damage. Toby hadn't been sure about it, but Krista had taken him aside and insisted. She'd said she gotten good feelings from Jackson and thought they should hire him. Skeptical but aware of Krista's almost-perfect record when it came to people, Toby had agreed.

Since then he and Jackson had become good friends. He appreciated Jackson's goofiness, knowing that underneath it his friend was solid and dependable, as he'd shown when Maya had shown up and needed help.

"Yeah, family can be tough," Toby said.

"Heard from either of your parents lately?" Jackson asked.

"Dad's off camping in Montana or something, and Mom's all right I guess. Krista talks to her more."

"Think I could send my brother to Montana?" Jackson asked with a short laugh.

"It's probably beautiful out there," said Toby, "but I have to say, I'm a city guy."

"You could probably paint all kinds of stuff out there," mused Jackson. "Big Sky country and all that."

"Not worth it." Toby shook his head. "It gets too cold and my stuff is abstract anyway. I don't need to go to Montana to know to paint the sky blue. Besides I get nervous when I'm too far away from an actual paved road. All that nature would creep me out."

"Good point."

"Dad sounded fine last I talked to him," Toby said with a shrug. "He and Elise are good. They're visiting her kids after the Montana trip and might make their way over here sometime. Mom's opening her own boutique, I think Krista said. I forget if it's clothes or knick-knacks or what. Maybe both."

"That's cool," said Jackson.

"I guess so." Toby shrugged. "I think Krista was hoping Mom would ask her to come up and help."

"She didn't?"

"No. Krista thinks it's because she doesn't look the part, that Mom doesn't want her tattooed daughter showing up in her little suburb. Unfortunately, she's probably right, but to be honest, my mom was never the most maternal. I don't think she'd have asked even if Krista dressed in skirts and heels."

Toby had always felt bad for his sister on that count. He knew she wanted a closer relationship with their mother, but unfortunately it wasn't reciprocated. For himself, he hadn't cared as much, or claimed it anyway. Sometimes saying something often enough made it true, or close.

"That's too bad. Krista looks great in anything," said Jackson. At Toby's raised eyebrow, he elaborated. "Said the friend who has absolutely no designs on your sister beyond platonic friendship."

Toby laughed. "I know, you're too hung up on Lacey anyway."

Jackson gave him a look. "I am not hung up on Lacey. I admire her. Besides," he said, "her aunts wouldn't think I'm good enough for her, and they're right."

Toby shook his head and let it go. He thought his friend sold himself short, but didn't think that was something he could fix, though he tried here and there. Toby knew that what he could do was limited. Even if he and Krista thought the world of Jackson, which they did, it didn't matter if Jackson didn't believe it.