Altering the Plans Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"How long has it been since you've seen either of your parents?" Jackson asked. "And can you tell me your secret so I can use it?"

Toby scoffed out a laugh. "I don't know, and the secret is to do something they disapprove of."

"Damn, that hasn't worked for me."

"Maybe you didn't have enough variance in expectations," said Toby. "There was no way my dad with thirty years of military service was going to be happy with his son running a tattoo shop." It was bad enough when Toby hadn't wanted to go into the military himself, he thought. When he didn't even want to pursue a traditional degree and career, he and his father had argued constantly.

"Too bad, man, because you're good at it. Krista, too. Chandler's is one of the top tattoo places around, every list I see."

"Good to know."

"All right, that's enough slacking," said Jackson. He gulped the rest of his water and put the bottle down. "Let's do this again, up to a hundred, and if I win, you buy me dinner."

"I do that half the time, anyway," Toby said, standing to stretch.

"If you win, I'll cook and you have to eat it," said Jackson.

"That's not winning. Nice try. You will not talk me into throwing this game." Toby grabbed the ball and dribbled a little to loosen up. "

"That's okay, I'll just cheat." Jackson snagged the ball and arced in it for two points.

"You're in trouble now, buddy," Toby said.

"Hey, I win," said Jackson.

Toby stared at him. "We just started. You only have two points."

Jackson held up his arm and pointed to his watch. "Time to go to work, amigo. We'll barely have time for the lunch you have to buy. Since you lost."

"I didn't lose," said Toby with a half-hearted glare. "You cheated."

"Gotta be flexible, man," Jackson said. "Not my fault it's time to go. Plus, I told you you could cheat. Not my fault you didn't take advantage."

Toby shook his head and wiped his face with a towel. "This was rigged. I'm taking it to the refs."

Jackson laughed. Toby did too, feeling better than he had in a couple of days. Maya had shaken him a little, but now he had some perspective. Yeah, she was cute, and his protective instincts had gone into high gear when he saw someone vulnerable being threatened. That was all it was, he thought. Now the drama was done, and he'd settle down. There were more pressing matters, like where he and Jackson would get lunch before going to work.

x-x-x-x-x-x

"So, how are you?" Allie asked when Maya called her a couple of days after ending things with Dean.

"I'm good, Allie, really." Maya smiled and switched the phone to the other side. "You don't need to worry." She was relieved to talk to someone she'd known for longer than a few days, and who was familiar with her history. Krista and the others had been wonderful, but there was a different comfort in talking to her cousin.

"Are you serious?" her cousin asked. "Your boyfriend hit you, you had to break up and move out, your job fell through—how could I not worry?"

"I'm not the first person to deal with it, I'm sure." Maya tried to downplay it all. "Honestly, the worst thing is that he destroyed the sewing machine."

"No, the worst thing is that he hit you. I know how much you loved it, but the machine can be replaced." Allie sighed. "Really, Maya. Are you okay?"

"I am, honest," said Maya. "I know it sounds a little crazy, but I guess it happened at the right time around the right people. Krista and Lacey and everyone have been so great. I'm not used to having people to rely on—present company excepted of course."

"Well, I'm trying to find some time to come see you and meet them but it's hectic trying to get organized for school. Gabe wants to come, too."

"Sure, that'd be terrific," Maya said. "I'd love to see you guys and have you meet everyone. Then maybe you can tell me if I have my head on straight."

"What's up?" asked Allie. "What's wrong? Dean hasn't done anything else, has he?"

"No." Maya sighed. "There's just—there's a guy and I'm not sure what I think, or should think, about him."

Allie laughed. "You sure do bounce right back."

"No, it's not like that," Maya said. "I'm mostly trying to put it out of my head right now. I still need to figure things out. I'm not in any shape to start seeing anyone."

"Probably not," Allie agreed. "But that doesn't mean you need to take a certain time to deal with it. Don't worry about how long you think it 'should' take you. If it takes a few days, fine, if it takes a couple of months, fine."

Maya sighed. "You're right. I'm just all over the place right now. I'm still mad at him and mad at myself, but I'm glad it's over, and then, I don't know, I feel . . ."

"You feel guilty, don't you?" Allie asked. "Maya. Come on."

"I feel stupid. Angry. And then guilty."

"But why?"

"Stupid because of Dean, obviously. Angry at myself because I should have ended that a long time ago. Guilty because they've all been so nice and helpful and I've just been—I don't know. I feel like I'm useless and imposing."

"Maya, you're being too hard on yourself," Allie said. "You've been through a lot in a short period of time. I'm really glad you've met all these people, and that they could help you. I know you, so I know you feel like you owe them—"

"I do."

"Don't interrupt," Allie admonished.

"Sorry."

"Anyway, I know you feel like you're in their debt, but even if you have to think of it that way, worry about it later. Not everything has to be repaid like a bank loan."

Maya gave a small laugh. "I know, I know. You're right. I'm trying not to think like that but it's hard."

"I know. Look, your mom and Roger, I know they weren't there for you, so you had to rely on yourself," Allie said. "And that's a good thing, but it made you think needing or accepting help is a bad thing. We all need a little help sometimes."

"You're right," said Maya. "You are, I know it."

"Of course I am," Allie said primly. "And you're wise for recognizing it."

"Even I can see the obvious," Maya said, laughing.

"Ok. Listen, I have to go, but I'll come see you soon, okay? Take care, Maya."

"Thanks. Just let me know when." Maya disconnected after the women said good-bye.

Her cousin had a point, Maya thought. Maya's parents had divorced when she was young. Her father traveled for business, and had visited her whenever he could, but her mother had had primary custody.

Both her mother and stepfather had believed a person should be self-reliant, and that asking for help was a sign of weakness. They'd impressed that on both her and her step-brother, Landon. Requests for help as she as growing up, after a certain age, became variations on "look it up." They would help if necessary, but kept it minimal. Maya had learned quickly to fend for herself at school and socially; she had dreaded anything from school that required parental attention beyond a signature.

It hadn't gotten easier when she'd found her talents lay in more creative fields. Her father had encouraged her, which she'd appreciated, but her mother and stepfather felt such things were impractical and pushed her to find something more serious, when they bothered to talk to her at all about it.

Spending the majority of her time with people who looked down on what she loved to do was difficult, but Maya refused to give it up. She'd persevered with support from her father and a few others, and waited. She'd bided her time, taking courses at the local community college when she could, working and saving until she found the right opportunity to leave.

She had thought things were looking up a bit when she started seeing Dean. He'd seemed nice, at first. They had a few things in common and although he hadn't been too impressed with her artistic endeavors, he hadn't tried to stop her, either. He'd ignored it, Maya realized, and that was positive compared to a lot of her previous experience, and so she'd taken it.

Now that was over, and it hit her that she was glad. Maybe not happy, but relieved to be rid of him, of the constant complaining and negativity, and what she now recognized as the abuse she'd suffered. It might not have been physical until the end, but even with this little bit of hindsight, she could see how he'd pushed buttons and manipulated her.

Coming to the tattoo shop brought it all to a head. He'd ignored and belittled her in front of Krista and Toby, and then had blamed her for making him look bad.

No more of that, she decided. It hadn't been long, but she already knew she wouldn't let it happen again. She couldn't. Since she'd broken up with Dean she felt more relaxed than she had in years, maybe ever. She felt like she finally had the chance to be herself, the way she wanted to be.

That was a chance she didn't want to lose.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x

A couple of weeks later life seemed mostly back to normal. At the shop, Toby finished the design for a client and laid the tattoo gun down.

"There you go, all done," he said.

"Great. Thank you." His client, a woman named Sharon, smiled at him. She laid her hand on his arm and said, "I really appreciate your work." She looked pleased with the bird he'd just inked on her arm, a small but colorful cardinal.

She was gorgeous, Toby thought. She had sleek blond hair, blue eyes, an inviting smile and a body he knew people would kill for. But she wasn't Maya, and he had no interest.

For the millionth time, he wondered what was wrong with him. He'd thought his feelings for Maya had been a result of the stressful circumstances of meeting her, but they hadn't gone away, and had grown more intense. Since there was nothing he could do about it, he ignored it, as he'd been doing for the last couple of weeks.

Toby made himself focus on his client. "Thanks. Mind if I take a picture?"

"Sure." Sharon nodded and he snapped a quick photo with his phone to add to his portfolio.

"Hold on a sec, almost done." Toby gently applied the anti-bacterial ointment, and then the dressing. He could feel Sharon staring at him and wished he had Jackson's easy way with people. His friend would have flirted, or at least joked with her, but Toby was lost.

He reached for a sheet of paper. "Here, take this, and follow the directions." She looked disappointed as she took it from him. He took a breath and gathered his thoughts. Sharon had been pretty much an ideal client, and deserved better than this.

"Sorry, it's been a long day," he said, and she brightened. "You do want to follow the directions, though. We want the tattoo to look good, but more importantly, we want you to take care and not get any infections."

"No, I wouldn't want that." Sharon smiled again and sat up. "So, do I come back for a follow-up, like a doctor?"

"If you have any questions or problems, please let us know, but no, you shouldn't need to come back."

"All right," she said with a sigh.

Was she pouting? Toby wondered. Jesus, she was pouting.

"If you have any other questions, Krista can help you out." Toby tried to keep his tone light. "Thanks for choosing Chandler's."

He busied himself cleaning up, relieved when he heard the door chime. Sharon had been his last appointment, and he was looking forward to going home.

"You missed a chance," said Krista as Toby came out front.

"A chance at what?"

"At Sharon. Your client." Krista shook her head. "You can't tell me you didn't notice. She was sending signals like crazy."

"I don't think I missed anything," said Toby. "Dodged a bullet, maybe."

"Yeah, definitely," Jackson chimed in. "She looked dangerous." He paused. "Maybe I should call her."

Toby barked out a laugh. "Yeah, you do that, man. Best of luck, and don't come crying to me about it."

"What do you care? You've got Maya," Jackson said.

"You do?" Krista turned and raised an eyebrow. "That's news."

"What? No, I don't 'have' Maya. Christ, guys."

"Just as well. She could do better," Krista said.

"Nice. You're fired," said Toby, but Krista just laughed.

"You're still into her," Jackson said.

"Yes, yes, we've been over this," Toby grumbled. "Leave me alone."

"It must be serious," said Krista. "Otherwise you probably would have hooked up with Sharon, or any of the other women who throw themselves at you."

He gave her a look. "Women do not throw themselves at me."

"Of course they do," said Jackson. "They try you, you put them off, then they come to me. It's a good system and I think we should keep it going."

"So what, did Sharon just move too fast for you to catch her?" Toby asked drily. "And don't you have a crush on Lacey?"

"What? No. Don't be ridiculous." Jackson leaned against the counter, projecting calm. "Let's be honest. Lacey's beautiful. Any guy would have a crush on her, but I know my limits."

Toby saw through his friend's laid-back attitude, but didn't press the issue. But, he thought, it was nice to deflect everyone's attention from his own feelings about Maya.

"You should just ask her out, Jackson," said Krista. "She likes you."

"What? No." Jackson tried to shrug it off and gave them his easy smile. "She's too classy for a guy like me."

Toby chuckled and let it go. It was fun to tease Jackson, but it was hitting a little close to home.

He still wasn't sure why he was so attracted to Maya, and he'd spent a fair amount of time trying to figure it out. Maya was pretty, and sexy, but he'd found women attractive and sexy before. He'd had relationships, some good, some bad, some long, some short. It had hurt no matter who had initiated the breakup, but no one had affected him in this way.

He wasn't pining for her, Toby was pretty sure. He didn't think about her every minute, or even every hour. He wasn't absent-minded, hadn't made any mistakes at work, didn't sit staring off into space and daydreaming about Maya's long hair, brown eyes, and what he imagined were soft lips.

Not often, he amended. And not where anyone would notice.

It felt like he was biding his time. He wasn't entirely sure what he was waiting for, or how long he'd wait. He knew Maya needed time and space, and he didn't want to pressure her. He wished he could help her, but didn't know how, or if he should.

As if she had read his mind, Krista piped up. "I think Maya's really doing well. She seems way happier than when we met her."

"Low bar," Jackson observed.

"Yeah, but it's true," said Krista. "She hasn't found a job yet, and I know she's looking, but she's getting herself together. She seems more relaxed, she jokes around a little more. She's even being artistic again, she says."

Toby glanced up. "Artistic?"

"She's a dressmaker, and does photography on the side. Remember that portfolio she had when she got her stuff? It had some of her work. Pictures of dresses she's made and some other photographs. She's been trying to replace and recreate things but she said it's slow going."

Tony let out a low whistle. He knew from his own artistic endeavors how frustrating it was when you lost something. He recalled the wet, discolored portfolio from the day they'd helped Maya move out. She had looked both furious and determined when she'd come out with it.

"Have you seen any of her stuff?" Jackson asked.

"Yeah," said Krista with a nod. "She's really good, I think, although I don't know anything about sewing. But the dresses she showed me were gorgeous. It's a shame the job she came here for fell through, and I guess there aren't a lot of dressmaking options out there."

"I guess," said Toby. "Wonder what that pays."

"Probably not a lot, or not to start," Krista said. "Maya said she'll get a job that pays before she worries much about the dressmaking. She hasn't said anything, but I know she doesn't like that she isn't paying rent."

"I could move in and not pay rent," Jackson offered, "if it would make her feel any better."

Krista laughed. "Nice try, moocher. You know what I mean. She feels like she wants to contribute. No, like she has to."

"Yeah, I know that feeling," said Toby.

"But she has been, and we keep telling her that." Krista shook her head. "She cleans up, and cooks a fair bit. That's all really helpful. We keep meaning to do something for her, but we don't know what to do."

"She did seem like she needed someone to be nice to her," said Jackson. "Especially after all that crap with what's-his-name." He shook his head. "I can't believe that asshole broke her sewing machine. I mean, Christ, what a toddler move."

"I thought maybe Lacey and I could get her a sewing machine, but then I thought it might be too much, and I'm betting that's kind of a personal thing," said Krista. She sighed. "So I guess I'll wait until something else comes to mind. Ugh. I'm overthinking it."

"Yeah, you are," said Toby, and winked at her. "But that's why we love you."

"Oh, stop." Krista punched him in the shoulder, and he pretended it hurt, but he saw her blush. He always found it funny that his sister, who was tougher than most people he knew, was a softie under it all. She'd always been like that, though. She'd be the first to defend someone, and the first to help them out, as she had with Maya.

Back to Maya, he thought with a sigh. Well, he'd waited this long. He could wait a little longer.