Always

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

*****

Raph had just finished his shower in the hotel room in Kansas City and had laid on the bed to watch some TV when he decided to text Riley.

"Hey you," he typed in what was becoming his customary greeting.

"Hey you," she replied.

"How's your evening going?"

"Good. I went into work today and Maria called afterward so she came over for supper and then we're going to watch some Netflix. How's your day been?"

"Not bad. Weather was good on the way up. We got here just after noon so while the client went off to whatever it is he's doing, I got to have some good old Kansas City BBQ. Then I went walking around, but it wasn't the same doing it solo so I came back to the hotel, took a shower and now I'm just laying here watching TV."

"What are you watching?"

"It's an infomercial about the worlds sharpest kitchen knives. You can saw a nail in two and then slice a tomato so thin you can see through the slices. It also cuts beer cans, radiator hoses, and seat belts but will also slice your bread without mushing it."

"Oh Lord," she typed.

"Don't laugh, Darlin' I'm getting you a set for Christmas," he warned.

"I would cherish them forever."

"Seriously, I could lay here and text with you all night, but go, visit with Maria and watch your Netflix. I'll be here if you need me."

"OK, you're right. She's sitting over her watching me, trying to figure out what I'm smiling and giggling about and I'm afraid she might be feeling neglected. In case I don't talk to you again tonight, sweet dreams, Raph."

"I can guarantee it. Good night, Riley."

Raph put his phone on the charger and continued to stare at the TV, but his mind was 425 miles away.

*****

"I bet I can guess who you're texting with," Maria said, watching Riley.

"And who would that be?" Riley asked teasingly.

"I bet it's your tall handsome fly boy."

"And why would you say that?"

"Because of your smile, and your blush. You're practically glowing."

"Oh shut up, I am not," she said, but the more she denied it, the redder her face got.

"Do you want me to leave you alone to talk to him?"

"No," Riley said, putting the phone down on the table, "we just said goodnight so I'm all yours."

"Well that was quick," Maria said, surprised.

"I told him you had come over for supper and Netflix, so he told me to go ahead and spend time with you and he'd talk to me later," Riley told her.

"Oh, how sweet. Now I like him too."

"Oh no sister, this one is mine," Riley said, making a face at Maria.

"Not like that silly, I just meant that I like him because he's not trying to hog all your time. He realizes that you still need your friend time."

"Yes I do," Riley said, leaning her head over on Maria's shoulder. "So what are we going to watch?"

"What else," Maria laughed. "Something romantic."

*****

Raph had just finished his preflight checks and was waiting for his passenger to arrive when his phone chimed.

"Hey you," he read when he opened the text from Riley.

"Hey you," he quickly typed back.

"Do you know when you'll be coming home?"

Home. The way he read it gave Amarillo a feeling he didn't have before. They say home is where the heart is, and his heart was definitely in Amarillo now.

"I just finished prepping the plane for departure so as soon as my passenger gets here I'm ready to go. My scheduled takeoff time is 4:30. Flight time about 1:30."

"So you'll be home and finished by 7:00 or so?"

"That sounds about right. What'cha thinking?" he asked, his curiosity getting the best of him.

"I was wondering if you might like to come by and let me feed you supper."

"Depends, what are you making?" he quipped.

"You'll have to come by to find out," she returned.

"Well, I do love a good mystery. Can I run by my apartment and shower first?"

"Of course. See you tonight and be safe."

"Always," he replied, putting his phone in his pocket just as his passenger came out of the door.

"Ready to go?" Raph asked.

"Yep," he answered simply, passing Raph and climbing aboard the plane.

Raph just shook his head slightly, smiled and boarded.

*****

Riley worked busily in the kitchen. She'd made a salad, some garlic bread, and the sauce was simmering on the stove top, and had the water ready to boil the pasta as soon as Raph arrived.

She set the table for two. Checked to make sure there was tea, soft drinks, and water. She wiped her hands on the front of her apron and using a spoon, tasted the sauce. It was just right.

Riley had just turned the fire on under the water when the front door bell rang. She hurried down the hall to the foyer and opened the large wooden door.

Raph stood, his mouth slightly open. She was a vision. She had her long brunette hair in a pony tail, a wisp of hair had fallen down in her face, which was blushed slightly from the cooking. She had on an apron over a tee shirt and yoga pants and was barefoot, her toenails painted a bright red.

"Would you like to come in?" she asked, surprised at the mute expression on his face.

"Very much," he said, finally finding his voice.

"Well I'm just finishing up so come on back," she said turning and walking quickly back toward the kitchen. Raph had to close the door quickly and then try to keep up, else he feared he'd get lost in the large house.

As they entered the kitchen, the water was about to start boiling and steam rose from the pot. She measured out the amount of pasta she wanted and dropped it into the pot.

"Have a seat," Riley offered, pulling out a bar-stool tucked under one end of the kitchen island. "The pasta shouldn't take but just a few minutes."

Raph took a seat, content to just watch her move gracefully and efficiently around the kitchen, stirring the sauce, turning the fire down just a little before replacing the large clear lid on the pan. She hummed to herself as she worked. Raph didn't know the tune and it was barely audible. He wasn't sure she even knew she was doing it. It was just one more thing he loved about her.

Riley pulled a piece of the pasta out of the boiling water with a pasta spoon, blowing on it, then squeezing it with her fingers.

"Okay, I think it's ready," she said, turning off the fire under the steaming pot.`

"Can I help with that?" Raph asked quickly.

"If you wouldn't mind," she said. "Can you bring it to the sink and pour it into the colander?"

"Yes ma'am," Raph said, taking the two pot holders she held out to him. He lifted the pot, moved carefully to the sink and poured the water and noodles into the large colander, letting the water drain. Riley turned on the sprayer and sprayed the noodles with cold water to arrest the cooking. When she finished, she placed the colander into the top of the now empty pot so that any remaining water could drain there safely.

"OK, I think that's everything," she said, untying her apron and hanging it on a hook, inside the pantry door.

"This smells great," Raph complemented.

"Thank you, it's my grandmother's recipe. Sit down, I'll make you a plate. What type of salad dressing would you like?"

"Do you have Catalina, or French?" he asked as he sat down at the table.

"We have Catalina," she said. "It's my favorite."

"Really? Me too," he said. "Could she be any more perfect?" he thought to himself.

Riley served up a bowl with salad, a steaming plate of spaghetti with homemade sauce, and a loaf of garlic bread, already sliced.

"This all looks wonderful," he said, still secretly surprised that this woman of unimaginable wealth had slaved over a hot stove, for him.

"I hope you like it," she said, pensively. "It's a Texas take on an Italian dish, so of course there are chilies and peppers in the sauce."

Raph took a bite of the pasta and sauce and while it did have a decided 'kick', the flavors blended well and the heat wasn't unpleasant. If fact, it was remarkably good.

"I've never tasted anything quite like it," Raph said. "It's wonderful. I love it."

Raph could see the relief in her eyes and saw the tension drain from her shoulders as she assumed a more relaxed posture. She really did care what he thought and wanted to please him. Raph felt like Rod Serling should be narrating his life right now.

"I'm so glad you like it," she said, laying her hand on his on the table. For a split second, Raph stopped chewing, breathing, thinking. The touch of her hand on his skin was like a conduit directly into his soul. It lasted only a fraction of a second, but its affects would last a lifetime.

"Thank you for making me supper," he said softly.

"Thank you for coming to supper," she replied.

Raph leaned toward her, and she to him. Their lips were only inches apart, their eyes slowly closing....

"What smells so good?" came a booming voice from the hallway.

Raph and Riley sprang apart, but both looked like the cat who ate the canary when Steve Barrett walked into the kitchen. He was an impressive figure at 6'4" with a large barrel chest and arms that tightly stretched the sleeves of his white button up shirt. His hair was the same color as Riley's, but with graying at the temples. He was walking toward the stove when he saw something out of the corner of his eye and turned to cast his gaze upon his daughter and a young man he'd never seen before.

"Hi Daddy," Riley said quickly. "I thought you were out of town until the weekend."

"Well, I was able to wrap up my acquisitions early and come home," he said, turning his eyes to Raph.

"Daddy, this is Raph, Raph Savage," she said, introducing him.

"Savage? Are you of the Utah Savages? Started out in Coal mining in the 40's." Steve asked. His mind was an encyclopedia of powerful and influential families and people.

"No sir, I don't believe so," Raph said.

"Raph's a pilot Daddy. He's the one who flew me and the girls down to Mom's in Austin," she told him.

"Oh, well nice to meet you Raph, and thank you for getting my little girl there and back safely," he said, extended his large hand to Raph. Raph took it and winced at the strength in the older man's grip.

"Is that your grandmother's homemade spaghetti sauce?" he asked suddenly, taking a deep breath in through his nose.

"Yes," she said simply.

"Wow, you haven't made that since you were a teenager," he said, glancing again at Raph. "Well, if you kids will excuse me, I'll make a plate and go eat in my study," he said, turning back to the stove. He made a heaping plate and started to leave, but stopped short of the door and looked over at Raph. "Come see me in my study before you leave," he said. It wasn't a request.

"Yes sir," Raph said as Steve turned and left. Raph and Riley sat listening to his fading footsteps in the hallway.

"I'm sorry about that?" Riley whispered. "I thought he was going to still be gone tonight."

"Hey, no worries," Raph said, but he suddenly wondered. Was she embarrassed of him? It was obvious that he didn't fit into the ultra-rich circles that she was accustomed to moving in. Could he be a fling or her dirty little secret? He certainly didn't get that vibe from her, and she seemed to genuinely enjoy his company, so he decided to force down his own insecurities and just plow ahead and see where this went.

Raph had seconds of the delicious spaghetti and sauce and had two glasses of sweet tea. When they finished eating, he helped Riley clear the table, wash the dishes and put everything away. When they were done, Riley took Raph by the hand and led him out a large French door, leading onto a large patio. She didn't turn on any outside lights so the stars shown brightly overhead in the clear West Texas sky. She led him to a small patio love-seat where they sat down.

Raph decided to go for broke and lifted his arm and placed it over her shoulders. Riley snuggled into his chest, pulling her bare feet up under her.

"It's beautiful here," Raph said quietly.

"I love to sit out here on nights like this and just look at the stars and listen to the frogs and crickets," she said, pulling his arm down until his wrist rested between her breasts.

"I can see why," Raph said, bowing his head, smelling the clean smell of her shampoo, the soft floral scent of her perfume which was subtle but extremely pleasing to the nose. On impulse he softly kissed her on the top of her head. She raised her head from his chest, turning her face to his and kissed him softly on the lips. Their kiss soon became more passionate as their tongues intertwined. Her breath was becoming more rapid and her heart was racing.

When their kiss broke, Raph kissed her cheek, her jaw, her neck just below her ear. Riley reached up, cradling his head in her arm and extended her neck, giving him better access as he continued his soft kisses down her neck, onto her throat and up the other side. It was driving her crazy with desire. Her soft moans seemed to spur him on. After he had gone back up the other side of her neck, he once again wound up at her sensual lips.

Riley turned and draped her shapely legs over Raph's lap as she kissed him again, her arms wrapping around his neck. Raph reached his arm around her and pulled her closer. They continued to explore each other mouths, faces, and necks until both knew that to go any further would probably require more privacy that what the open patio provided. Both started to slowly ramp down until they were just sitting, holding one another, her head on his shoulder, his cheek resting on the top of her head.

"I could sit here like this until I turned to stone," Raph whispered.

"Oh Raph, I'm so happy right now. I don't even know how to explain it, and I'm not sure I even want to. It's like if I examine it too closely it would somehow ruin it. Like something that can only be felt but not really rationalized."

"I know what you mean," Raph said, "I feel like I'm in a dream and everyday I'm afraid I'm going to wake from it, and when I don't, I'm happier than I've ever been."

They sat silently, just basking in each other's closeness. Raph was listening to the sounds of the night and also to Riley's breathing. He realized that she was asleep. He could have sat and held her like that all night, but he doubted that Steve Barrett would appreciate that.

"Hey you," he whispered into her ear. He felt her stir.

"Hey you," she whispered.

"I think somebody's ready for bed," he said.

"I'm so sorry, I fell asleep."

"Don't be sorry. I can't think of a higher compliment than to know that you trust me enough to fall asleep in my arms."

"Oh Raph, of course I trust you. You make me feel safe, and special, like no one ever has."

"I ask myself every day, what could I possibly offer you? I finally know. My heart is all I have to offer that all of your money couldn't buy. I love you Riley," he finished, his voice coarse with emotion.

Riley's head came off his chest with remarkable speed and her arms closed around his neck. She mashed her lips to his. Her passion was tangible. She kissed him for several minutes before she finally pulled away and looked into his eyes. A single tear fell from her beautiful hazel eye.

"Oh Raph, I love you too, and I give my heart to you as well," she said, kissing him again lightly on the lips.

Riley finally swung her legs down, placing her bare feet on the brick patio as Raph stood quickly and turned to offer his hand to her, pulling her up.

"Well, I guess I'd better not keep your dad waiting any longer," Raph said, hugging her to his chest, kissing the top of her head.

"Yeah, you're probably right. I'll show you to his study," she said, taking him by the hand, interlacing their fingers. She led him back into the house, through a large living room, up a grand staircase and finally to a large set of double oak doors. She knocked.

"Come in," Steve Barrett called from within.

Riley grabbed both knobs and opened both doors. Steve Barrett sat behind a large wooden desk. He still had on his white button up shirt, but his sleeves were rolled up and the top two buttons were open at his neck. He reached over and grabbed the plate he'd used for supper and held it out to Riley.

"Honey, would you run this down to the kitchen for me and give me and Raph a chance to talk?" he asked politely.

"Sure Dad," she said, taking the plate and glass from her father, "Be nice," she whispered threateningly. Steve just smiled at her.

Riley took the dishes and padded back down stairs.

"Have a seat, Raph," Steve said, indicating the two plush wood framed chairs facing the desk.

Raph picked a seat and sat down as Steve stood and walked over to a bar along the wall.

"What's your poison?" he asked, picking up an ornate glass bottle, half full of a brown liquid that Raph assumed was alcohol.

"I'm good sir, thank you," Raph said, hoping he wasn't insulting his host.

"Don't drink?" Steve asked.

"No sir," Raph said honestly.

Steve turned with a glass in his hand and looked at Raph for a minute before taking a big swallow.

"Good," he said simply before sitting down in the other chair on Raph's side of the desk.

"Tell me a little about yourself, Raph."

"Well, let me see. I'm originally from South Texas, my mother was a high-school art teacher and my father was a police officer. I attended and received a degree from the College of Aviation and Aeronautical Science in San Antonio. I got a job right of school with Charter Air here in Amarillo. I started out in single engine piston aircraft, moved up to multi-engine piston, and then to single and multi-engine turboprop."

"Sounds like you're a driven young man with a good head on his shoulders. You're not satisfied to do the minimum required to keep your job. That kind of initiative is painfully lacking in your generation. You come from parents with noble callings. Are they retired?"

"No sir, my mother passed from cancer when I was in high school, and my father with a heart attack my final year of college."

"I'm sorry to hear that son, I truly am. I'm sorry if this feels like an interrogation, but my daughter is my whole world. She's the eventual heiress to my business, my holdings, my fortune, everything. That's no secret and as such, she's been chased by every lowlife money grubbing bastard in the country. It's like she's some kind of damn Holy Grail prize. I'm sure you can see my cause for concern, and I haven't become the man I am by beating around the bush, so tell me Raph, what are you intentions with my daughter?"

Raph was truly intimidated by the man. Steve Barrett, up close, was a bear of a man. His eyes, although nearly the same color as Riley's, were more intense, like a bird of prey. Raph's palms were sweating and he felt like his forehead was sweating although the temperature in the large room was quite cool. He thought of a million things that he thought Steve Barrett wanted to hear, but finally decided to just be honest.

"Honestly, sir, my intention is to spend the rest of my life loving your daughter. She is the most incredible, intelligent, and fascinating person I've ever met. The simple touch of her hand makes my heart stop and then take off like a cattle stampede. I think about her every minute I'm away from her and when I'm with her I want time to stop and just be in that moment forever. I love that even though she's high society, when she's home, she wears tee shirts, and her hair in a pony tail, and goes barefoot out on the patio. I love to watch her face when she sees something beautiful like the old houses in the Garden District, or a child playing on a swing. I love her in spite of her being the heir to your business and your fortune, not because of it. I love her because to me, she's just Riley, a beautiful girl named after her great-grandfather, and because she cares enough for me to make me her grandmother's spaghetti sauce, and I love that she trusts me enough to fall asleep in my arms," Raph finished, having barely taken a breath. He'd said what he wanted to say, now he had to face those intense hazel eyes and that stared, unblinking, at him.