America's Watching

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I simply said, "Come here" in a loving yet somewhat forceful tone.

She came over and sat next to me on the couch and I put my right arm around her and held her tight for nearly a minute before asking, "Is that what you think I am? A wimp?"

She began crying all over again before stopping long enough to say, "Maybe...no...oh I don't know dad. I'm so confused."

I nodded saying, "Yeah...me too."

I paused for a few more seconds before telling her, "Look Lynn, I was debating telling you about this, but I guess you painted me into a corner. Well that and the fact that what little pride I have does tend to get a bit bruised when I hear that people are calling me a wimp. Especially my own daughter."

I could see the sadness in her eyes as she realized how deep her remarks about me being a wimp had cut me. Still, she carried on, "What is it dad? You can tell me."

I looked at her and brushed away her tear with my left hand and said, "You remember me being home late yesterday and today?"

She nodded.

"Well...yesterday I called the executive producer of the show, some guy named Blevins. He's a little fucking weasel if you want to know the truth."

Then I remembered I was talking to my daughter and apologized. She giggled and said that it was alright and that it was nice to see me showing some emotion.

"Well you would have loved the call then. Anyway...I explained the situation to him and my fears mom was going too far for just some game. It was then he explained that your mother had signed a binding contract to have all ties to the outside world severed until the time she was either voted out, makes it to the final night as a competitor or is voted out and sent to that other house where the losers go before going back on the final night to cast some vote."

"Peer house."

"What?"

Lynn rolled her eyes, "It's called 'Peer house'. That's where they'll send mom if she's one of the last eight voted out."

"Yeah...whatever. Anyway, He said it wouldn't be fair to the other houseguests if your mother was given special privileges. He told me that any direct contact would mean that the houseguest would immediately be sent home."

"But dad...doesn't he know this is an emergency?"

"He says it's not. He says if he deems it necessary, he can maybe call your mother off to the side and tell her of my fears, but it would be his call and that he is nowhere near ready to make that call."

"Why not? Dad, that other guy is seducing mom and could possibly cause a divorce. You said so yourself."

"I realize that, but this is a good example of how the world works and why most of the time it's about money.

"Money? I don't follow."

"This producer's a slime ball honey, no question and to him it's all about the ratings. He admitted that everyone watching is on the edge of their seat wondering if the faithful wife and mother is going to fall from grace or come to her senses before she goes too far. I believe it would be called ratings gold."

"So mom was set up?"

"It's nothing like that punkin'. He admitted that he couldn't have asked for a better scenario that they have and had always hoped that a season would play out like this one is. Yet I believe him when he says that the people on the show aren't told how to act and that their actions aren't scripted."

I paused before continuing, "So we're back to your mom being a big girl and hoping she makes the right decisions."

"Maybe he was lying about the contract bring binding, dad. Ever think of that?"

"Yep. That's why I talked to a friend of mine at work yesterday. His brother's a corporate lawyer and he said as a favor, he would look over the copy of the contract your mother signed and tell me whether or not it's binding. That's where I went this afternoon."

"Is it? Binding that is."

"I'm afraid so. Those network folks know their stuff. We really are at the mercy of the producers when it comes to contacting your mother and they're not going to be in any hurry to do that. So we're screwed."

She scoffed and replied, "Let's just hope that mom doesn't get screwed next."

She then turned red when she realized what she said, but I only held her tighter and told her I understood her frustration. I also told her I agreed with her assessment of the situation.

I could almost see the wheels turning in her head before she called out, "Well...then let's take matters into our own hands."

"How's that?"

"Let's go get her. We'll sneak in and kidnap her or better yet, bust through the front gate and force them to hand her over."

"Watch a lot of TV, do ya"?"

She folded her arms and frowned.

"Listen sweetie, I know your hearts in the right place, but we have to look at this logically. Don't get me wrong...I would love nothing more than to go all Rambo on their asses, but it's not realistic."

At least the Rambo reference made her smile.

"Look Lynn, the studio lot and soundstages are secure and that 'Peer House' thing where they go if they get voted out is not only secure, but in a secret location. Even if I did get in I would most certainly get caught long before locating your mother. I would only wind up in jail. I wouldn't mind going to jail if I knew it would stop your mother from doing something she shouldn't be doing or if I could protect her from these morons, but that's not the case. No matter how hard I try I will never be able to get close enough to save her from herself."

She sniffled as she closed her eyes in angst. I knew the feeling.

"Besides if I tried to stop her by doing something stupid and causing her to be kicked off the show, she would hate me even more than she does now."

"She doesn't hate you dad. She still loves you."

"She sure has a funny way of showing it Punkin'."

Lynn realized that with the way her mother was acting, any attempt to assure me that she still loved me was going to be a tough sell.

I continued, "At this point about the only thing we can do is hope that your mother gets her head on straight and does the right thing on her own."

She looked up at me and with a sad smile said, "Nothing personal dad, but I was hoping for a lot better idea than that. Mom looks like she lost her mind or somethin'."

I returned her sad smile with one of my own while I held her tighter still.

"I know kiddo. I know."

She hesitated for a moment before muttering under her breath, "When did she get so stupid?"

Normally I would have scolded her for talking about her mom that way, but since I was asking myself the same obvious question I just let it slide. After all, when you're right, you're right.

I pondered if I should tell her the one disturbing option the lawyer said we have then decided that she had every right to know.

Again she saw me lost in my own thoughts and asked, "What is it dad?"

"Well...do you remember how you asked me a little while ago about if I would ever consider divorcing your mother?"

She sniffled while nodding.

"Now you have to know if it were to happen it would be the last resort. I mean there may come a point when I can no longer..."

I stopped.

She softly said, "I know" as she realized I was having difficulty finishing my last sentence.

I took a deep breath and continued, "Well the lawyer said the only legal recourse we have is if I file for divorce. You see since your mom signed the contract there's nothing we can do or no one we can go after, but if I file for divorce things change."

"Like what things?"

"By filing for divorce, aside from the obvious result within our family, I will then have the options of suing Jake as well as the network for alienation of affection for their part in causing the breakup of our marriage."

"Oh dad...no..."

"I'm not ready for divorce just yet, but your mother may be reaching the point of no return when it comes making the decision for me."

"I understand dad. It's just so sad."

"I'm sorry about all this Punkin'. And don't forget that she's still your mom. Don't let what's she's doing to me affect your relationship with her."

"Nice try father, but don't you think I deserve to be angry as well?"

I smiled at my daughter and asked, "Father, huh? Since when did we get so formal?"

She smiled back and shrugged.

I was proud of her while sad for her as well. Almost worn out, I found enough energy to say, "It's been a long day. Let's try to get some rest."

######

A few days later I was sitting on our front porch enjoying a cold one after work when one of my neighbors walked by and gave me the uncomfortable wave of someone who wasn't quite sure if that's what he wanted to do but had choice since our eyes met.

That brief gesture got me to thinking. It wasn't to last long but for a few moments it washed away the mental images of that asshole seducing my wife.

It was then my mind turned to the varying attitudes of our family, friends and neighbors. At first everyone was stunned. Hard not be if you knew my wife. Again...she did some mild flirting in the past and nothing more to my knowledge, although since all of this 'America's Watching' stuff started I wasn't quite as sure.

Anyway, like I was saying, everyone was stunned and also felt very sorry for me. I wasn't exactly fond of everyone feeling pity for me, but at least I knew they cared. It also validated my suspicions that there was a lot more going on than I wanted to believe and that those around me knew I wasn't just some over jealous ogre.

They couldn't understand why Sherry was doing what she was doing either and that boosted my spirits, if only slightly.

Though slowly attitudes began to change again. At first it was mostly the men, but soon many of the women also began to talk under amongst themselves and I got the impression they believed I was weak for allowing this to go on. I think they felt I should do something about it instead of just sitting around waiting for my wife to come home. I even overheard some conversations when they thought I couldn't hear saying they would never put up with such actions and they would have done something about it by now. Of course they never mentioned what that "something" might be.

Maybe that was the reason that Lynn began having the same feelings though I never asked her. Lynn didn't want to think that I was a wimp, that much was clear and she only alluded to it that one time, but I think my explanation convinced her that I truly was between a rock and a hard place.

Although I never asked her to, Lynn began to tell others about my meeting with a lawyer and the helplessness I felt in being in a position of watching my wife being seduced from afar without any recourse but to hope my wife comes to her senses.

At first a lot of the men probably thought they would handle things a lot differently and confront the guy by crashing the party. I'm sure when they gave it more thought they realized that there wasn't much they would be able to do either. Getting passed the guard at the studio would be hard enough, but then I would have to find the soundstage where they tape and get in there before being able to confront my good buddy Jake.

I would certainly be arrested long before Jake was beaten to a pulp. Being the angry husband that I was, there's not a doubt in my mind that my good buddy would require extensive medical attention if I were to ever get my hands on him. And before you think I'm just trying to be macho, I firmly believe it's in anyone's best interest to avoid any jealous or protective husband.

Rule of thumb, never prod the sleeping bear. It usually doesn't end well for the prodder.

In the end most folks realized I was far from accepting of my wife's behavior, but that my options were extremely limited. Though at the time of that uncomfortable wave from my neighbor, some felt that anything short of crashing through the studios front gate with a machine gun in one hand and a knife clenched in my teeth was a sign I condoned Sherry's actions.

Another one of my neighbors was approaching while walking there dog. Instead of putting someone else in the awkward position of having to wave to me, I stood up and my beer and I went inside the house.

#######

The following week was more of the same on the show. Jake was taking his time with my wife and while this was going on both he and Harley had a stranglehold on the house. Apparently they were capable in all forms of treachery.

Anyway, as promised by Zach Blevins, the show's producer had someone call the house and say that they were sending over a crew of two for Thursday's show. It wasn't going to be a big production, but they did have to set up lights for the one camera they were planning on using.

I told Lynn about the network broadcasting live from our living room and not surprisingly she was upset. Her opinion mirrored mine in that if we just sat there with smiling faces and acted if nothing was happening, her mom would just assume that we were on board with her "win at all costs" mentality.

I had an idea for making Sherry see the light before it was too late and Lynn loved it. It was probably our last and only chance.

Two network guys arrived and set up their cameras about an hour before just like they said they would and I could see they were disappointed to see only Lynn and myself were they only ones there. They asked who else was coming and were even more disappointed to hear that everyone else was busy with their own lives and couldn't attend.

Both guys were friendly enough and didn't appear to have the attitude that the other Hollywood people I spoke with had.

We were then told that we would be going live from our living room directly after the first break. We wouldn't have long to wait.

As they neared the first break Katy Ross the host called the houseguests into their living room where she was going to tell them that one lucky player was going to see their family and friends.

I looked over to Lynn and asked, "You hungry?"

She looked back and said, "Yeah...I could eat. What are you thinking?"

"Pizza."

She stood up and replied, "Sounds good. Let's go."

I took out my keys and started following her to the front door when a voice behind me called out, "Excuse me Mr. Carpenter, but you can't leave now. You're about to go live coast to coast."

I chuckled, "Actually I'm about to go to get a pizza. You guys want anything."

"No it's not that. Come on Mr. C., Blevins will kill us if you're not here."

"Sorry guys...nothing personal, but I just can't do this. If Blevins tries to blame you I'll tell him you had absolutely nothing to do with. Okay?"

He nodded and said, "Mr. C.? We're been following the show and just want you to know...well...we're sorry. Don't know what else to say except we'll watch your place 'til you get back."

I just smiled and nodded as I turned to catch up with Lynn.

We were just walking into Pizza Hut when my cell phone rang and I knew who it was even before looking. Both Lynn and I stopped in the parking lot as I answered in an over exuberant tone that did not match my mood, "Ah...Mr. Blevins...good of you to call. How's the weather out there in Californ-eye-aye?"

"Very funny Carpenter, where are you? My crew tells me you up and left to go eat pizza just as we were about to go live. Now what's this all about?"

"What's what all about? Pizza? Well it's Italian in origin that started long before my time..."

"I know what the hell pizza is smart ass, I'm talking about leaving before going live."

"Oh yeah...that. I guess my daughter and I were feeling a bit shy tonight."

"Shy my ass. Now look, get your ass back to your..."

"I don't know if anyone ever told you this or not, but you say ass a lot!"

"Listen Carpenter..."

"That's Mr. Carpenter to you."

He paused for a moment swallowing just a smidgen of pride before continuing, "Please Mr. Carpenter, listen to reason. If you go home right now we can still get your family on air together for the first time since that first show when we taped you on your front lawn. We already explained it the first time as having technical difficulties, but we really need to have you and your family appear. The more the merrier, remember?"

"Oh yeah, I remember, but I'm afraid we can't make it tonight. Maybe we could try this again some other night, but then I can't promise I won't get a hankerin' for tacos or a cheeseburger."

Blevins was getting exasperated, which was fine by me.

"Time to play hardball Mr. Carpenter. If you do not return home this instant we will take legal action for breach of contract. Have you forgotten that your wife signed a contract to not only appear on our show, but to also allow us to broadcast live from your home when given 24 hours' notice?"

"So what's the problem? Sherry's on your show and your camera crew was allowed access as per the contract. Perhaps you've forgotten or was maybe never made aware that I never signed a contract with anyone involved with your network nor has Lynn or anyone else in our family. We do have a dog. Would you like me to ask him if he'd be willing to come on some night? He's with my mother in law tonight, but I doesn't hurt to ask him. He might not like short notice though because he'll need time to see the groomer first."

There was silence for a moment before he replied, "Your wife was crushed when she expected to see her loving family and instead saw they abandoned her. Is that what you want?"

"I quite honestly don't care what you tell her. Tell me...did all of her housemates go to comfort her or just one or possibly two?"

Silence from the west coast.

"Look at it this way Mr. Blevins, at least my wife didn't have to sit watching her replacement's arms are wrapped around me like I had to watch my replacements arms wrapped around her. Now you're obviously watching the show, so tell me the truth before we go any further. Did asshole have his arm around her right from the beginning and did she appear to not only allow it but looked comfortable doing so?"

Zach Blevins hesitated at first before asking, "I'm not sure I know what you're getting at Mr. Carpenter."

"Let me make it as simple as possible. Did they look like a couple? Did they look like a damn couple with chemistry? DID THEY?"

After quite a few moments of dead air and an audible sigh he simply said, "Good night Mr. Carpenter."

I was angry when I hung up, but I was still more confused and heartbroken. As Lynn and I continued walking towards the restaurant she said, "You were really enjoying jerking that guy's chain for a while there weren't you?"

I flashed a sad smile and answered, "As much as I can enjoy anything anymore sweetheart. So...on to more important things. What should we get on our pizza?"

That moment of enjoyment was far too brief, but at least it was something.

######

Like I said earlier, Lynn recorded the show that night and even though I already knew what to expect it still ripped my heart out of my chest when I saw it with my own two eyes. Since Lynn and I were already on the road to Pizza Hut when the show started; this is what we missed.

The host welcomed America back from the latest commercial break amongst loud cheering from the studio audience just outside the "house" where Sherry sat. Katy Ross asked Sherry if she would like to have a live look at her family and friends watching the show from the privacy of her own living room back home.

Sherry appeared ecstatic and had tears of joy running down her cheeks, but that was about to change. Oh...the tears would still be there, but the joy was about to disappear.

I part of me felt terrible. Despite everything that happened to that point I still loved her and my first response was to still protect her. But having witnessed what I did seemed to justify my actions to leave the house. At least I felt justified.

Sherry did seem genuinely excited to have the chance to look in on us, yet appeared to be very relaxed...too relaxed while leaning against another man with his arms draped around her. It was that chemistry thing again and I could actually feel a tightness in my chest.

123456...9