An Angry Man

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Saturday night Ted and Nora had their usual fantastic time in bed. As they lay in bed after, Nora asked, "What's going to happen, Ted? I mean, maybe it's weird to ask this, but are we exclusive?"

Ted laughed. He said, "You mean am I fucking my wife on the side?"

Nora giggled, "Yeah."

"I decidedly am not doing that. I'm a one-woman man. You could be that woman, if you want."

"I feel a little like I'm breaking up a marriage. You two have been together so long."

"It wasn't you. Once Cara left for her boss, I was done with her. After a few hours - not long, really - I found it freeing."

"And I got the benefit. I'm happy about that."

The next morning, they had another lively round and then went to make breakfast. Nora left a little early for her parents' house, to help her mother with a fancy cake.

Ted told the girls he was headed off for a bike ride with Miles. He'd see them later. He gave them each a big hug and peddled off.

Earlier in the week, Ted had prepped the gun and left it, loaded and wrapped, by the tree he'd selected. When he stashed his bike and headed there, he was half hoping that someone would have taken it. But it was there.

He had serious second thoughts, even as he was treed. But, he kept recalling the asshole's talk with his wife, Miranda. And then he saw his almost naked wife kissing the guy. He thought, 'Fuck it.'

Time for that bullshit to end.

-----------------

As Ted and Miles were sitting drinking beer after the bike ride, Robin came hustling out from the house. She said, "I saw on TV. Diamond's been shot. He's dead. Diamond is dead."

Ted stood up quickly. "Did they say about Cara?"

"They said a woman had been present but was not injured."

Miles said, "My God!" He pulled out his phone and got a news feed.

Miles had kept Ted's cell phone with him on the entire ride. It was still in his waist pack. He waited until Robin was looking at her phone and handed Ted's phone over to him.

But Robin saw that. At the time, she thought nothing of it.

Ted tried calling Cara. No answer. He said, "I better get home. Maybe someone called there."

He rode off on his bike.

When he got home, the land line was ringing.

"Hello."

"Is this Ted Vincent?"

"Yes."

"This is Detective Harvey of the APD. There's been a shooting, but your wife is not injured." A man's voice.

"You mean Diamond. My friend told me. What happened?"

"I can't comment on that. Mr. Diamond died. Your wife is here at the station. She's quite shaken up. I wonder if you can come for her."

"Sure. The main station?"

"Yes. Third floor. See the front desk."

Ted put some shorts and a T-shirt on over his bike things. He had his wallet and phone in the fanny pack. He got the car keys and went. He had no idea what to expect when he got to the station.

What he got was an invitation to give a statement. He was told that he could see Cara after that was complete.

Detective Harvey turned out to be an older white guy who looked fit, although gray. He had a partner, Stella Blaine. She was an attractive brunette, big and tall.

Ted sat in a small room with them and answered all their questions. They did give him his Miranda warnings. He spoke anyway.

They asked about his day and he laid that out for them - bike ride and all. Then they asked if he knew that Cara was involved with Diamond. "Yes."

"Did you....how did you feel about that?" This was Harvey.

"I didn't like it. But, I moved on."

"What's that mean?"

"I have another interest. Another woman."

"Oh. So, you have an open marriage?"

"No. No. She just announced that she was doing this. So, I reacted."

"Do you own guns?"

"Yes. I have a gun safe."

"We're going to need to see inside that. Soon."

"Okay. Well, when I take Cara home, you can come along."

The police took a lot of details about the bike ride, addresses, and who else Ted was seeing. Then they left him in the small room for some time. The door was locked. Ted just sat there, looking at his phone.

In about fifteen minutes, Harvey came back and asked if they could see the phone.

Ted said, "I'll give you the number. But the phone has some stuff on it about work that I do not want to be publicized. Nothing illegal."

"We could get a warrant."

"Then you may have to do that. Presumably it will have some limitations."

He gave them the number. Then he decided to simply allow them to dump the phone. He was told that would take thirty minutes. He handed it over.

Then they took him to see Cara. She was dressed in a t-shirt and jeans. Not hers. She looked spooked.

Ted said, "Cara? Are you okay?"

"No! Christ, he was shot. I was right there. Blood was everywhere."

"I'm sorry, Cara. Once they finish with my phone, I can take you home."

"Okay, Ted." A pause. "Ted? I'm sorry for all this. But....."

"We can talk more on the way home." He gave her a hug. Soon the detective brought the phone, and the spouses left the station.

When they were in the car, Cara asked, "Ted, did you shoot him?"

"No. I'm maybe not sorry he got shot. But I didn't do it."

Cara stared at him. She said, "I know you. You could have....but, you found that girl. So..."

"I just didn't do it. Was...I mean, did you see someone shoot him?"

"No. I heard a shot, and he exploded all over." She was crying now. Sobbing.

Ted pulled the SUV into their driveway. He escorted Cara inside, and met the police as they pulled up. He took them to the gun safe. They inspected the guns and asked about ammo. There was a box of 30 caliber cartridges, unopened. The other ammo didn't interest them. They left it all.

When they were back outside, Harvey turned to Ted and said, "We'll get DNA and prints from the gun we have. You'll be well advised to get out front of that, Mr. Vincent."

"Well, I don't know about any gun, and I didn't shoot anyone."

"Okay. We'll be seeing you."

Ted went inside to deal with his wife. Before he did that, though, he called Nora and told her what had happened. She knew some details. He asked if she'd come over later, once Cara was settled.

Then he called his folks and the twins. They had a long discussion about the events of the day. One issue was whether the twins would go to nature camp that next week. It was decided they they should go, to get away from any possible hullabaloo that might erupt. They'd talk to Ted and Cara each day.

Cara showered for a long time. Ted wondered about her mental state. It seemed to him that using the entire hot water tank up might mean some distress. Not surprising. He was waiting for her when she came out, in her robe.

He said, "It must be difficult. Are you clean enough?"

She smiled. "No. But the water ran out."

"Yeah. I guessed. What can I do for you?"

"Well, maybe we order a pizza. I'm starving."

Ted did that. He felt a pang of guilt for the peperoni. But he believed that some fat would calm them down.

Cara looked at Ted over the pizza. "I've been thinking about you. I'm not so sure that you're innocent. Where were you today?"

"On a bike ride with Miles. I told the cops."

"He'd lie for you."

"Yep. But he doesn't have to lie. I admit that I have some anger issues sometimes. But I didn't shoot the jerk."

"He was a jerk. You were right about that. Are you going to divorce me?"

"Probably. I mean, you just threw it in my face, Cara. After all this time. You wanted some rich boy. I grant you that he was good-looking."

"Sure was. To be fair, Ted, he wasn't.....he didn't really live up to his looks."

"Sorry."

"No, you're not!"

"True. Sorry I said sorry."

"You have some woman - Nora. She....I'm told she's younger an attractive."

"Yes, she's quite a looker, in an athletic way. She played college soccer."

"And she just snapped you right up. I bet you fucked her before I....had Byron."

"No. Maybe about the same time. We went dancing first. Why do you want to know this?

"I probably won't have a job. You're leaving me, I know it. I have to live, and we have the pre-nup."

"I won't let you starve. And maybe you will have a job."

"Maybe. Miranda probably isn't too happy with me."

Ted's phone buzzed. It was Nora. He walked into the living room.

Cara followed at a distance. She heard their professions of love. If she'd had shoes on, she would have kicked herself.

As Ted was telling Nora not to come over, Cara stepped not the room and said, "Let her come, Ted. I guess it's time for us to meet."

So, thirty minutes later, the doorbell rang and Ted ushered Nora in. Cara was now dressed, in the kitchen. She looked tired, but still attractive.

The two women stared at each other for perhaps a full minute.

Then Nora said, "I'm sorry for your ordeal. You must be very shaken."

"Thank you. I was. The whole thing's so screwed up. You took my husband."

"You left him. Not my fault."

They were about ten feet apart. Ted had positioned himself so he could intervene, if needed.

Cara was trembling. She started sobbing again. Nora stepped to her and hugged her.

Cara was crying on Nora's shoulder. Ted was astounded by this interaction.

Nora sat Cara down on the couch, keeping contact. There was room for Ted, and he sat next to Cara and hugged her as well.

Cara was sobbing with great gasps. She was chanting, 'Such a fool...So sorry...Such a fool...'

Cara's crying subsided. She sat up a bit and asked, Ted, "Do you think the hot water's ready?"

He said, "Yup."

She went up for another shower. After she emptied the tank again, Ted gave her a pill and she fell asleep on their bed.

Ted and Nora went to the guest bed room. They didn't want to leave Cara alone in the house.

They watched the news at ten. Diamond's murder was extensively covered. As it turned out, Diamond had had many affairs with married women, who mostly worked for him in some way. So, Ted was far from the only suspect. Later, on CNN, it came out that there were business reasons for some people to eliminate Diamond. On the internet, there was speculation that Diamond's wife may have been involved.

Ted turned off all media after eleven. He and Nora got into bed. Neither felt much like having sex. At first. But.....

Nora was quiet.

Ted woke up early, and checked on Cara. She slept until nine, then showered.

All three were at the breakfast table at ten, eating pancakes whipped up by Nora.

Nora's phone played Mozart. She answered and it was the police, trying to arrange an interview.

Nora asked Cara and Ted, "Should I have them come here?"

Cara nodded. "We can get an update."

So, at eleven Detectives Harvey and Blaine showed up and took Nora into a private room to take a statement. That took about twenty-five minutes. Then they were all in the living room.

Cara asked, "Is there any news about who did this?"

Blaine said, "Not yet. Lots of people had motive."

Harvey said, "Including you Mr. Vincent."

Ted said, "We've been over this."

"Yeah. Well, thanks for your cooperation, all of you."

They left. Robin called. She informed Ted that police had been by to take statements about the shooting. They had been polite but insistent and thorough. Ted told her that he'd see Miles at work.

The three of them were then at a loss about what to do.

Nora said, "Shall I leave?"

Cara said, "No. I understand....Ted may want you to stay."

Ted nodded.

They all sat on the rear patio and drank coffee. Cara was recovering her ordinary demeanor, but seemed sad. Ted and Nora both expected more problems.

Cara said, "I keep seeing him bleeding out. He never moved. I wonder if I'll always see that?"

Nora said, "My psych course on grief said that images are the most lasting thing, but that they fade and get mixed up over time."

Cara nodded. "I sure hope so."

Ted said, "Have you heard from work?"

"No. I mean, I worked directly for Byron. I haven't heard from him. But, I did function as a sort of dealer for stuff directed at him. I let some stuff through and took care of other things myself. Whoever takes over will need someone like me."

Nora asked, "Who will that be?"

"My only guess is Miranda. I know what was in his will, because I signed it as a witness. She gets all of it, except for some things for his mom."

Ted said, "Will you...I mean, do you want to work there?"

"Yes. Like I said, I need to support myself, eh?"

Ted looked at Nora. He said, "Well, until you get on your feet...."

Cara asked, "Did you two sleep in the house last night?"

Nora nodded. "In the guest room."

Cara said, "I hope that keeps up for a while. Until I get on my feet." There was a dual meaning in that statement and neither Ted nor Nora missed it.

Ted said, "Things will work themselves out. And the girls will be back next week for a while."

Cara asked, "Nora, I'm told you went to their game."

"Yeah. It was exciting."

Cara said, "I feel so stupid. He had a string of women. He manipulated all of us."

Nora said, "Well, he was a handsome asshole. You....just made a big mistake."

Ted said, "I think you'd been dissatisfied for a while. I mean here at home. Not at work."

Cara thought about it and said, "That's true. I don't know what caused it. Maybe a 'grass is greener' thing."

She paused. "Then a big hole opened up and swallowed my life." She got up and ran inside.

They other two decided to let her alone. They heard pots and pans.

Cara baked a chocolate cake, which was ready by noon. Nora and Ted eventually wandered in and watched, with some desultory conversation.

They ate sandwiches while the cake cooled enough to be iced.

The day went on like that. Nora made burgers for dinner, and Cara made a salad. The three of them worked on things but didn't talk much about the future. Cara went to bed at nine o'clock. She woke with nightmares twice - once screaming. Ted went in and calmed her down.

The next morning, Tuesday, Nora had to go to work, because she had court. Ted also wanted to go to the office. But he was worried about Cara.

As he was considering things, Cara's phone jingled. It was Miranda. Cara put it on speaker.

Miranda said, "Are you coming to work today?"

"Do I have a job?"

"Yes. I understand that things may be strained. But, things have to be done, and you cannot be immediately replaced. So, despite your foolishness about Byron, I need your services if I can get them."

Cara looked at Ted. He nodded. Cara said, "I can be there in an hour."

Miranda replied, "Good. Come to the house. Go in the back, so you won't get spooked."

That's what she did. She met Miranda in the office on the second floor.

Miranda offered a handshake, and Cara took it. Miranda said, "I am curious, before we get down to it, why Byron was able to get you. I've seen your husband. Is he a disappointment?"

"Oh, no. But Byron looked so good."

"Yes. But he wasn't. Not all that good."

Cara said, "I know. Adequate."

"At best. He had a tendency to fade. Perhaps you weren't at that stage."

"Perhaps."

"Well, let's start."

The two of them worked all day to get Miranda up to speed. They also looked into arrangements for disposing of Byron. But the body was not yet available.

At six pm, Miranda looked up and asked, "Can you stay to dinner? There's more to do after."

"Sure. At home I have Ted and his....friend."

"So I heard. Is she pretty?"

"Yes. And young. He fucked her the first night I left."

"So they're a thing?"

"Seems so. My girls like her, too."

Miranda looked at Cara. She smiled and said, "Well, if you need relief, I can lend you one of my boy-toys. They satisfy."

Cara blushed. She said, "Not quite yet, Miranda."

"Just let me know. You know, now that we women run the company, maybe it'll be the guys who have to put out. Are there any you fancy?"

"Well, if it comes to that, a boy-toy will do. I don't want to screw up any families."

"You're too nice, Cara."

They ate, and Cara left for home at nine-thirty. Miranda had given her a big raise in salary.

Ted and Nora were interested to see how it went for Cara at work, given the awkwardness. So she described her day, and the work she'd be doing. And she told them about her raise.

She said, "So, I won't be a burden. Looks like I can support myself." She didn't look happy.

Ted said, "I'm...I..."

Cara said, "You know, Miranda offered me a boy-toy to use if I need it. I declined....for now."

Nora gasped, "Really? What do they look like?"

Ted was a little annoyed by that but said nothing.

Cara said, "I don't know. I didn't even know she had some."

-------------

For the next six weeks Cara worked six days a week for Miranda, either at the office or at her house. Long hours, and a lot got done.

Ted started the divorce about two weeks after the shooting. That was no surprise to Cara, or the twins. Miranda got Cara a lawyer, but the details were easy to work out. The parties agreed and signed in a few weeks. The twins stayed in the house with Ted (and Nora). Cara didn't mind that too much. She and the twins were gradually making progress toward peaceful coexistence. They often spent Sundays with her. Her day off.

Ted and Nora moved back into the main house. Nora gave up her condo. She basically assumed a mom role with the girls. Kind of. The situation became more and more comfortable.

One night, Nora and Ted, having completed another nice session of sex, cuddled with each other.

Ted said, "Wanna get married?"

Nora stiffened. The she looked at him. She said, "Yes." They kissed.

The Nora said, "I also want children." She looked at him with some trepidation.

He hugged her. He said, "Hmmm. A second round of diaper changing? Okay!"

They kissed again.

They were married six months to the day after the shooting. Nora was pregnant two months later.

----------------

Meanwhile....the police investigation into the sensational shooting of a billionaire stalled. Gradually the crime receded from public awareness. Every so often some journalist brought it up. But it faded again.

Authorities spent a large amount of time checking alibis of everyone they thought had motive, including six husbands. They got nowhere. A few had no alibi, or a weak one. But they had no forensics from the gun, or from anywhere. And they had no witnesses, despite numerous public appeals to people who might have been on the side trail close to the shooting.

They also looked carefully at Miranda. She had been with two young men, miles away from the shooting. They checked to see if she might have bought a hit. Even though the shooting did not seem like a professional hit. They got nothing. Possibly because there was nothing to get. Their focus upon Ted faded quickly. Miles was a very convincing alibi. A salesman.

In the end, the file went into hibernation, brought out every so often for show.

----------------

Cara soon became absolutely indispensable to Miranda and the company. She was smart, engaged, and already knew way more about operations than anyone else - except the deceased Byron, who was no help.

One Saturday afternoon, Miranda and Cara were knocking off. Cara had a room at the house. She went up to shower. So far, she had never visited the pool. Miranda had no problem with the pool. She had a problem with Cara's problem with it.

So, that Saturday, Miranda caught Cara toweling off after the shower. She tossed Cara a robe. She said, "Come with me."

Cara was puzzled, but Miranda was the boss. She followed. Miranda went to the door leading outside to the pool.

Cara stopped. Miranda said, "I have a treat for you. But you have to come outside to get it."

Cara hesitated. But then she thought, 'About time, maybe.' She stepped through. There were two chaise lounges by the pool, facing away.

Miranda walked past them. Cara followed. There were two young men - one in each chaise. Both were naked. Both were beautiful and hung. One was black, one white (but well-tanned).