An Old Boy Scout Meets an Angel Ch. 03

Story Info
Mark and Amber consummate their ephemeral relationship.
13.7k words
4.87
2.4k
0

Part 3 of the 3 part series

Updated 08/17/2023
Created 06/09/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

We slipped our shoes back on, I picked up the comforter, and we headed back up the hill. Because remember, neither of us had on a stitch of clothing when we left camp. Amber went to her car and I followed in case I could help. From behind the passenger seat she retrieved a good sized carry-on bag, which I took from her and carried inside, her following.

"Mark, would you mind showering first and then let me get ready for dinner tonight? I'm sure you can whip us up something wonderful over the campfire, and I want to make myself presentable for you."

"Oh Amber, you're more than 'presentable' to me, you're absolutely lovely just as you are."

"I know, sweetheart, but I want to have a dinner date and just talk with you. Do you happen to have any candles?"

"Of course I do! I was a Boy Scout. Be Prepared!" She laughed appreciatively and gave me a peck on the cheek.

"Okay, Boy Scout, you set us up a nice dinner in the woods and I'll bring the conversation and charm. Fair?"

"More than fair, my love," and I kissed her hand. "How formally should I dress?" She told me semi-formal, slacks and tie at most. She used the bathroom while I laid out clean underwear, a T-shirt, a button-down long-sleeved shirt, a tie, and pleated grey slacks. Oh, and nice black shoes, almost forgot those.

When she came out I hopped in the shower, showing her how to turn the water on and off at the spray head. Water was precious in a camper, so it was best if you could wet yourself, turn off the water, soap up, rinse off, etc. I showered while she retrieved a toiletries bag, brushed her teeth, and set some other things out. When I got out and was toweling off she slid past me into the shower, giving me a quick kiss and a palming of one of my pecs. I returned that touch to her bottom just before she closed the door.

I brushed my own teeth, combed my hair, and put on deodorant and cologne, all while watching her appreciatively. She smiled back at me the times our eyes met. I went out and dressed, fussing with the tie because I didn't wear them often. In fact, Ann usually had to help me. But I managed, and after looking at myself in the mirror I realized that I wasn't bad-looking, if I did say so myself. I fantasized about what Amber might wear.

Going to the kitchen I grabbed all the things I'd need for dinner, so I didn't have to come back inside and possibly accidentally see her. I felt like a groom on his wedding day who's not supposed to see his bride. And I was as giddy as a groom thinking about the consummation of our relationship tonight. Not a wedding in our case, but I thought of it with nearly the same reverence. I paused for a minute to kind of say a prayer to Ann that I hoped this was alright. I didn't feel any kind of reply this time, but I was mostly sure she would approve.

We hadn't paid much attention to Max today, but he'd been staked out with plenty of water and access to shade, so I fed him and refreshed his water, then walked him to do his business. That done, I cracked the door open while looking away and hollered, "Incoming!" while pushing him inside. I heard, "Max! Come here boy..." as I closed the door.

Outside I had to work carefully so as not to dirty my clothes, but the sticks I'd laid out earlier were dry now, so I soon had a fire going and then I prepped the two pots I'd be using. I put some larger branch pieces on the fire, then dug two emergency candles and a checkered plastic tablecloth out from storage.

Clearing off the table I spread the tablecloth over it. On the old dusty benches I put a stadium seat cushion on each side; best I could do for that. Then lighting one of the candles I dripped some wax on the tablecloth and set the other candle in it, holding it straight until it cooled. Then I repeated that a foot over, blew that candle out, and then set it. These weren't tapers, but about the diameter of a prescription bottle, so they just needed a little stabilization from falling over. I'd spaced the candles so we'd be looking at each other between them.

Back to the fire I added some larger logs, then went back to set the table. Plastic plates were the best I could do, but I did have two real forks and real napkins, and a butter knife. Clear, squat plastic cups would have to serve as wine glasses. It was 6:30 now, and sunset would be in another hour, so I hung a butane lantern from the end of the awning arm furthest from the picnic table. We probably wouldn't need it, but it was adjustable very low if more ambient light was needed.

By now the fire had burned down mostly to coals, so I set up the cooking grate and put the two pots over it. Now there was nothing to do but wait. I knew women took a long time 'getting ready,' so I wasn't in a hurry. And I knew that Amber would probably come out looking spectacular. The sun was low in the west shining across the lake into camp, and I hoped she'd come out before it set, because she'd looked so beautiful in that light yesterday.

Then I sat in a folding chair with my laptop and checked work things, adjusting the pots and fire as needed, waiting for Amber. I hoped she'd give me a little warning, and sure enough she did, calling out, "About 15 more minutes!" I dared not look toward her so as not to spoil the surprise. But that was perfect, and allowed me to prep the second pot, which currently just had boiling water in it. Adding a box of something, after 10 minutes it was ready for a couple of quick additions, then 5 minutes to heat through, while I put the dinner rolls on to toast over the coals.

Right on time, Amber called out, "Are you ready for me?"

"One moment!" I took the second pot off the heat and moved the rolls off to the side so they wouldn't toast any further. Then I stationed myself on the camper side of the table, careful to not block her view of the candles and place-settings, then nervous as a suitor on a first date, told her I was ready.

She'd turned off the lights inside and barely cracked the door, so what I saw first emerge was a white high heel clad foot and a stockinged shin extending from a slit in a shimmery ivory gown, maybe sequins? Then the full length of the leg, the toned thigh subtly visible beneath, and the graceful arc of a womanly hip. Opening the door further, she stepped the other leg out, it staying mostly under the gown because of where the slit in the dress was. I was afraid to look any higher because I was sure I'd be overcome by the beauty there.

Standing feet-together on the top metal step now, she led with her right leg again, sensuously poking out of its slit, and stepped down with the other foot until she was standing on the lowest step. There she waited, and I couldn't just stand there dumbly, so I slowly scanned up the length of her. I took in the thighs, the wide hips, the flaring-in of the dress back over her stomach, and then the shelf of flesh and dress that was her breasts, displaying only a modest amount of cleavage.

The dress was sleeveless and strapless, so there was no impediment to seeing her delicate collarbones and smooth, rounded shoulders. Following her bare arms down I found they ended in cloth gloves, elbow length, that matched the dress. Back to her neck and upper chest I saw a sparkling diamond broach close to her throat that with the dappled yellow sunlight seemed to be on fire.

I couldn't look at her face yet but noted that she had on dangling diamond earrings that also shimmered in the dying sunlight. Then to her chin, a small dimple in its center, and up to her full lips, coated in a light rose lipstick; classy, not tawdry. Then to the pert nose I recognized, but it was set between high cheekbones I hadn't seemed to notice before.

Her eyes were next, of course, but I couldn't bring myself to look at them yet. I remembered how I'd almost lost myself in them down at the rock and could only imagine what they might look like now with makeup in the dying light of the sun. But I did finally look and they were just as I'd imagined: lashes accented by mascara, eye liner that highlighted the blue of her pupils, and eyebrows that were done however women do them (all this has always been a mystery to me), pencil-thin, dark and arched.

But what most struck me about her eyes was the admiration in them. (In different circumstances I might've said 'love.') And the yearning for approval, though who in their right mind, man or woman, would not approve of the way she looked? And beyond that, maybe the fear of not being 'pretty enough.' Though again... And she knew I'd found her beautiful in old shorts and a T-shirt, with no makeup, hair plastered down, so how could I not find her stunning now?

And speaking of her hair: it was brushed out straight, yet stood away from her forehead and face somehow, to cascade down and frame her face, ending in a little flip that sat atop her shoulders. Had she left the camper lights on her hair would've been the halo of an angel, though the effect was similar without that.

I stared at her as she looked back at me, and I was at a complete loss for words. She was absolutely divine, but how to tell her that in words that wouldn't fall far short of the reality? Looking down at the ground between the steps and the table now, strewn with leaves and still somewhat wet, I knew that wouldn't do so I asked her for one minute, please.

Running around to the back of the camper I found in the near-dark the big rug we used to put down under the awning, to keep from tracking so much dirt inside. I laid that out below the steps and ran it over to her side of the table, realizing as I did that it was like rolling out a red carpet for a princess. And why not? She was as worthy as any princess who'd ever lived.

That done, I came to her and held up my hand for her to take. She did, but didn't step down. "Mark, I can tell by your reaction that you like what you see, but...I guess I'm still a little insecure: could I just hear it from you. I'm sorry, but...."

"Oh my dear," I said as I kissed the back of her gloved hand, "you are the most stunning woman I've ever seen in person. I truly mean that." She burst into a happy smile, her eyes sparkling with welled-up tears, glad that I'd found her so. I walked her carefully over to her seat, helping her into it by continuing to hold her hand as she stepped over the bench, then holding the cushion so it wouldn't slide out from under her.

"Mark, this is so beautiful! It's amazing what you can do with almost nothing."

"Thank you, my love. Wine? It's a lovely Walmart white, 2022 vintage I think." She laughed huskily and held her 'wineglass' up while I poured, watching me with adoration I thought.

"The vegetable du jour is asparagus again, steamed in a white wine and garlic sauce, finished with butter and fresh-cracked black pepper." She oohed and ahhed as I put some on her plate. "Bread for m'lady, and the butter is there. Please excuse my lack of a proper butter dish."

"And for the main course: couscous a la Livingston. I'll tell you the story after you've tasted it. But only if you like it!" Wine poured and plates filled, I sat across from Amber to watch her through the candlelight as she tasted the food I'd made for her.

"Mark, this all looks and smells so delicious! And I must say, you look sharp in your shirt and tie, and the trousers and shoes are a perfect match. Ann didn't have to help you dress much, did she?"

I wasn't hurt or anything by her mentioning Ann. In fact, I was glad she'd brought her into the conversation. Because I wanted this fresh start to be something Ann would condone, and to ignore her past presence in my life would've been wrong. "No, not in the later years. But she did teach me everything I know. I was a hopeless wreck when she met me in grad school."

"Mmmmm, Mark! This asparagus is divine! The smoke taste really sets it apart."

"Thank you, Amber. If I'd had any cream it would've blown your stockings off. You'll find the bread to have a nice smoky flavor to it too; put some butter on it though. Sorry I didn't have time to bake any fresh."

"Bake fresh bread out here?!" She asked as she slathered butter on her roll. "Is there anything you can't do?" I laughed humbly and shrugged it off. She ate the bread as I watched, mesmerized by how her lips and mouth moved, how her neck looked when she swallowed, then the dreamy look on her face as the smoky, buttery taste really hit her. "Oh Mark, this is....," and she went for another bite.

I tasted my couscous before she got to hers, and found it was a pretty good batch, so I wasn't worried about her trying it now. "The couscous is from a box, Parmesan flavor. Easy to cook outdoors because you just boil water and dump it in, add a little butter, and cover for 10 minutes off the heat. Then add a can of tuna and half a can of peas, stir and heat through for 5 minutes uncovered. It's those two additions that make it a la Livingston. The smoke rolling over the top of the pan gives it just the right outdoorsy touch."

"It sounds delicious, let me try it!" I watched again as she first sniffed and then delicately passed the fork between her lips, withdrawing it without scraping it across her teeth, a sign of class I thought. "Oh Mark! Are you sure you didn't order this in from somewhere?? I've had chef-cooked meals that didn't taste as good as this. Mmmm, let me stop talking so I can eat more!"

My heart swelled because that had been Ann's reaction, and I'd been waiting to tell Amber this story. "On our 3rd or 4th date I'd asked Ann to go camping with me. Nothing too wild, a state park like this, table and fire ring, etc. A two-man tent, a couple of sleeping mats, and 2 sleeping bags was about it. Car camping, food and water and things in the car. I got my little butane backpacking stove out, about this big, and with a folding-handled backpacking pot with lid I made this exact dish over that little stove. Ann's reaction was almost identical to yours." Amber was smiling and listening attentively while continuing to enjoy the couscous. "Do you know what she told me a long while after we were married?"

"What?" Asked eagerly, as if she were truly interested. Then I thought of her age, and before I could tell her the punchline I had to know if she'd seen the movie it referenced.

"Have you ever seen the movie Jerry McGuire? It's probably as old as you are."

"Tom Cruise?"

"Yes! And do you remember a line from it that became really popular?"

She screwed up her face trying to recall, which looked cute on her. "Something about, 'You had me...'?"

"Yes, that's it! You had me at hello. Well, we were watching that in a movie theater, and when Renee Zellweger said that to Tom Cruise, Ann leaned into me and whispered, You had me at couscous." Amber laughed as I went on, "I was a bit puzzled, but she told me outside that when she'd seen what I could do on a little backpacking stove on a picnic table with just a few simple ingredients, she knew I was a man worth holding onto."

Amber laughed and awwwed, but I had to take a moment to look away, remembering the loveliness of that moment. I took a couple more bites of my food before I was able to look at, and see, Amber again. "Mark, I think it's so beautiful that you loved Ann so much for all those years that even now you're moved by a memory from so many years ago. I hope to find that myself someday..."

"You will, Amber, I'm sure of it. Listen, I hardly know you, but I know enough about your spirit and the way you approach life to know that there's a man for you out there somewhere. Many men in fact. Someone you can share your life with and have the kinds of experiences and build the kinds of memories that Ann and I did. And if you'll excuse me for being too forward, it might just be that you need to open yourself up to the right one. As you've done with me."

Amber looked at me with appreciation (tinged with a little doubt, to be sure), I guess because I thought that even a 'working girl' could find—and deserved—the kind of love that Ann and I had shared. "You're pretty perceptive, Mark. I think that's exactly my trouble: most of my interactions with men are business transactions, and I know they only want that one thing from me. But when I met you yesterday you didn't know any of that and you accepted me for who I was. And even when you did know, that didn't change. I really thank you for that, and for your advice. I'll try to be more open to romantic opportunities."

"There you go! Because you're truly a delightful young woman, Amber. And I don't mean just sexually or your looks or any of that. You're a free spirit, unafraid to take on the world as you find it, and I admire you for that. With the right partner your love of life could by amplified by more than just a factor of two, and I think you'd find so much more fulfillment in a life with someone who's a good match for you." I had to stop talking to laugh at myself.

"I sound like an old philosopher. Or a father giving advice, and I don't want to be that because I'm really trying to forget about our age difference and just let us be two compatible people sharing two magical days and nights together."

Amber smiled warmly at me, desire beginning showing in her eyes. Letting me know that she didn't consider me too old for her or vice versa. Our plates finished (she had seconds of the couscous) she playfully asked if there was dessert. "Sadly no, but I was hoping you'd be my dessert!"

"Easy, cowboy! The night is young yet. Tell me how a person becomes an Eagle Scout. That's the highest level, isn't it?"

Proud that she was interested I told her all about how Scouts worked, how I'd started as a Bear Scout in 3rd grade, then a Webelos Scout in 4th & 5th, the Arrow of Light, and some of the other things. I told her about some of the Merit Badges and all the skills we learned and the summer camps with hiking and canoeing and basket weaving and living off the land, building fires with tinder and flint strikers, setting snares for rabbits and squirrels, etc. As I explained all these things it made me realize just how much I'd learned from Scouts and how competent an outdoorsman it had made me.

"Wow, now I see where you get it from! That's really interesting." She'd told me a lot about herself earlier when I'd asked, but now I asked about her first crush, her first boyfriend, things like that I was interested in because I didn't know how much things had changed in the 32 years since my first fumblings with girls in 6th grade, and during her time coming up. Then we just talked about all kinds of things, like vacations we'd been on, things we'd seen, things we still wanted to see and do. We probably talked for more than an hour after we'd finished eating, and I got a more well-rounded picture of who she was, and cared for her even more.

"Can you play music out here?"

"Sweetheart, I'm a Boy Scout and an IT tech. Of course I can play music out here!" I went inside and got my Bluetooth speaker. Opening Amazon Alexa on my phone I asked her what she'd like to hear.

"Something slow for close dancing. Ooo! Maybe Just the Way You Are by Bruno Mars? That came out the year I graduated high school."

"Coming right up." Amber extricated herself from the table and waited on the rug as Alexa cued up the song. Adjusting the volume, I set the speaker on the table facing us and fell into her waiting arms. Holding her close she felt so sensual in her shimmery, body-hugging dress, and her hair felt so soft compared to before, and she smelled so womanly. It was easy now to forget that she was young enough to be my daughter, and to think of her simply as a grown woman who wanted to share herself with me tonight.