An Old Trope with a Different Twist

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I felt his arm go around my shoulder, and I received a squeeze and a kiss on the cheek.

"It's my pleasure to meet the parents who created this remarkable lady."

My cheeks were burning again.

"We think she's rather remarkable, too," Raven said, following us to the door. Paul trailed along behind.

"Come see us again anytime. We're anxious to see more of you, Alex."

We drove back to my place to discuss how things had gone, and as I was unlocking my door, my cell phone rang. It was Lauren.

"Hey, sis. How are you?"

"I'm good, but it doesn't sound like I'm as good as you are."

I was wary now and figured out what had happened. "You've just talked with Mom?"

"Good news travels fast. Is he still with you?"

"Yes. We just got back to my place."

"Don't let him leave. I want to meet him. I'll be right over."

The phone cut off.

"Your sister?"

"Yep, and she's on her way over here to meet you."

"You want me to bug out?"

"Oh, no. You'll meet her, and she may push a little to find out what's going on since this is all kind of sudden."

I wasn't worried about Lauren coming over. At least, that's what I kept telling myself as we waited. The problem was that she seemed to have an uncanny ability to decipher when I was lying. Not that I was a habitual liar, but invariably, when I did, she'd spot it. Tonight, that would be put to the test.

"Do you realize you're pacing?"

I stopped, and no, I didn't realize I was. I watched Alex walk toward me with both hands extended. When he took hold of my hands, I decided he was taking this girlfriend thing too far.

"Lark, you don't have to keep this up. You're really nervous, and I hate to see that."

It wasn't the first time Alex had suggested that I call it off, and it was making me suspicious.

"I think it's you that's wanting to call it off, and you're trying to transfer it to me." He let go of my hands quickly when I said that.

"That's ridiculous, Lark. I'm trying to save you some grief. That's all." The smile had left his face.

"Why don't you worry about your own feelings, and I'll take care of mine." I disliked meddling.

Alex's smile returned. "Our first argument," he said, nodding his head.

I closed my eyes. "Alex, I'm committed. But I can be very nervous on occasion. Just ignore it."

"From now on, it'll just be encouragement, then."

The look on his face, the compassion in his voice, and his body language left me no choice. I stepped forward and engulfed him in a warm hug. He returned my squeeze, and we stepped apart.

There was a knock on the door. Thank the Lord I had locked it, or Lauren would have caught us in the hug. I was laughing as I went to the door. We were dating, after all.

As I opened the door, the never-demure Lauren burst in.

"Where is he?" she said, shoving me aside. "Ah, I'm Lauren, and any boyfriend of Lark's has to be a friend of mine too." She extended her hand, although I'd been sure she'd just jump in and give him a hug.

"I've heard about you, Lauren, and now it's good to meet you."

I watched her look from me to Alex and back again.

"Wow, it's hard to believe that my sister really has a boyfriend. No reflection on you," she added with a giggle, looking at Alex.

"Well, I don't find it hard to believe at all. Lark is a fantastic person."

He was walking toward me, and when he put both hands on my cheeks, I could see what was coming, although I was having trouble registering it in my brain. When his lips met mine, it was a shock. I'd kissed boys before -- a good night peck after a date. This was definitely a kiss.

"Whoa, Lark. That wasn't a ten, but maybe an eight."

"At least an eight," I said, working to process what had just happened. It wasn't exactly like a random guy coming up to me on the street and giving me a kiss, but it was close. I wasn't tingling or anything, but my heart was probably beating a little faster just from the shock of what had happened.

"Well," Lauren said, an overly sly grin on her face. "I just wanted to meet Alex, but I'll run now. Let me remind you, sister, about our cousin, Alice." She raised her eyebrows and looked at me. That reference had me beet red, I'm sure.

I closed my eyes, not even wanting to respond.

"How about a hug, boyfriend-in-law?"

Lauren got her hug and was on her way. The door had no sooner closed behind her than I heard the question I knew was coming. Alex didn't miss much when people were talking.

"What's up with cousin Alice?"

I looked at him and decided he'd already seen my blushing face, so he might as well know.

"She's pregnant."

"Being pregnant isn't bad in itself."

"She's not married, and she's nineteen. At least she's engaged now."

"Not totally bad, then."

I frowned. "My mother is jealous because Alice's mother will be a granny before she will. Ugh. I think she'd be happy if I was pregnant." The stupid grin on Alex's face said more than any words he might speak. "I hope I don't have to put up with THAT for the next few months," I said, rolling my eyes.

~~~

Alex

I think it was Lauren's attitude and demeanor that caused me to kiss Lark the way I did. If we'd just looked at each other, I think she'd have been suspicious, and since Lark didn't want to share our subterfuge with her sister, I wanted her on our side. It had been fun, but mostly because of Lark's surprise, which appealed to my penchant for teasing.

We'd been successful in the first foray into our ruse. If we wanted to count Lauren, I guess she was number two. But we were just a few days from number three. The time at the lake would test our acting ability since it would involve an extended period of time with a larger group of people.

I'd found out that my cousin, Mick, would be there, which might or might not be an issue. He was a little older at twenty-four, and there had been times we hadn't gotten along well. I hoped this wasn't one of those times. There'd be an aunt, uncle, cousin, and a pair of grandparents, as well as Mick. Of course, my parents would be there too.

Lark and I rode together, of course, and that would give us the ability to bolt if that necessity would arise. She'd brought two suitcases since I'd warned her that Mom and Dad liked to run into town to the hotel for a fancy dinner.

"You look nervous."

"I guess I am," she replied. "This will be a little different from meeting my parents."

"That's true, but you should have lots of fun. There are two Ski-Doos, two kayaks, a canoe, and a power boat for water skiing." I was excited just thinking about it.

"I've never done any of those things," she said quietly, sounding discouraged.

"Don't worry, I'm sure that Mick and I can lead you along, and you'll learn quickly. I almost forgot about Caroline, Mick's sister. She's our age, maybe twenty. You two will get along just fine."

I hope so. What's your cousin like? Mick, I mean."

"We've had issues in the past, but I think that's all behind us now. He's three years older, and I was just a dumb little kid. He's in banking now unless he's changed."

We arrived at the cottage and were not the first ones there. In fact, we were dead last. That would mean that introductions would be over quickly, and we could get on with having a good time.

Mother was her usual effusive self, just thrilled that I had a girl with me. Lark had her hair in a ponytail again and was wearing a pair of shorts and a Nike T-shirt that I knew she had picked up at the Goodwill Industries store, and I could tell that Mom thought she was just a cute and wholesome-looking young lady. Of course, Lark received a big hug from her.

I could tell right away that Lark and Caroline were going to get along perfectly. That would at least give her someone besides me to share things with.

Mick shook my hand, and his greeting was warm and sincere. I guess we had both matured and put our childhood disagreements behind us. I was so relieved, I think I actually sighed. He was introduced to Lark, and she received a very warm smile... and a hug. He winked at me.

"I'm so glad to meet you," he said, still holding onto her hand, "and I hope you don't mind if I try to steal you away from little Alex there."

I put my arms around her from behind. "Nobody is stealing Lark this weekend," I said, laughing.

"We'll have to see about that," he answered, continuing his tease. After a few seconds, he added, "Looks like Alex has a good one."

Lark was handling it well, and I didn't notice any pink on her cheeks, even after what Mick said.

"May I be nosey?" Mom said to Lark, and I tensed a tiny bit.

"Sure," she answered with a smile. I had to smile internally at how relaxed Lark seemed to be.

"Your name, Lark, is a little unusual. I don't believe I've ever come across it before. Is it a family name or something like that?"

"No, my mother's name is Raven, and she didn't like Robin, so I'm Lark."

Before Mom could reply, I said, "And her younger sister's name is Yellow Bellied Sap Sucker." That filled the room with laughter and reddened a pair of cheeks.

"Sometimes I don't know how I put up with him," she retorted.

"It's been like that around here for years," Mick added.

I had been planning to show Lark around, but Caroline was way ahead of me, and off they went. Things were going well, and I could hardly wait for what the next few days might hold for me.

~~~

Lark

I was amazed at how relaxed I felt, considering all the people I'd met and the several days that lay ahead. But they all seemed pleasant and friendly. They seemed to accept me like they'd known me forever. Of course, there was Mick. He was a little taller than Alex, and his hair was more strawberry blond than red. It was neatly cut with gentle waves, much as you'd expect from a banker.

I fell in love with Caroline immediately. She just seemed to bubble with friendliness, and her personality made disliking her impossible. She guided me around, showing me the room we'd be sharing. The cottage was large, but nine of us filled it rather completely. We visited the Ski-Doos and the kayaks and already had plans for us to do some of it together. She said the swimming was wonderful, although the lake water could be a little cool at times. She vowed that she'd make me a master water skier before I left.

"Do you fish?" she asked, her nose curled.

"Never have."

"Good. You're not missing anything, and we won't be bothered with that these next few days. She carefully kicked off her flip-flops and sat down on the edge of the dock, dangling her feet in the water and tapping the dock beside her.

I followed suit.

"Not too cold, is it?"

"No, and it's beautiful here."

"We come as often as we can. Uncle Dale lets us use it even when they're not here."

"My gosh, I can't imagine that." I caught Caroline's smile.

"How'd you meet my cousin?"

"We have a class together. The first day, I was late, and the seats were nearly full. I sat down next to him and... "

"And?"

"Here we are today."

"That's cool. So you guys see each other every day?"

"We started having coffee after class every day."

"It's nice that Alex has found someone."

The water felt cool on my feet but not uncomfortable. I watched Caroline watching a jet ski speeding along on the far side of the lake. She smiled at me.

"Want to have a go at that?"

"I have no idea what to do."

"You just sit there and hang onto me. I'm an expert," she added with a laugh. "Get a bathing suit, and we'll have fun."

We went to our room and retrieved bathing suits. She left while I changed, and we traded places.

"Cute suit," she said.

"I've had it a while." It was a flowered two-piece suit, a bit different from the red bikini that Caroline was wearing. "I don't have the courage to wear one of those."

"Why not? You have a nice shape."

"Thanks. I'm too shy and timid, I guess."

"We're about the same size. When we get back, you can try on my blue one and see how you look. You'll be hot."

That would be a first, for sure, but it wouldn't happen. I wasn't hot material.

"You don't believe me, do you? Well, let's get life jackets and have some fun."

I stuffed my glasses in my bag as we came out of the bedroom. We headed for the door where Mick happened to be standing.

"Who's your gorgeous friend?" His eyes were suddenly wide. "Oh my gosh, it's Lark."

"Mick, you're so full of bull shit," Caroline said, shaking her head.

"What, you don't think she's good-looking?"

I just wanted this conversation to end and to get away. Luckily, Caroline grabbed my hand and pulled me away. We stopped on the back deck and put on life jackets.

"Don't take this the wrong way, but you do look different with your glasses off."

"And with a bathing suit on."

I knew I looked a little different without glasses, but I wasn't sure we could afford contact lenses. Dad would think it was silly, I'm sure. Once I graduated and had a job, maybe I'd splurge and try them.

Five minutes later, we were buzzing out into the lake, and I was clinging tightly to Caroline. Suddenly, we were going faster... and faster... and faster. I knew we had to be going at least a hundred miles an hour. We made a sweeping turn and headed back, spotting another Ski-Doo heading toward us.

Caroline leaned her head back and screamed, "Probably your boyfriend trying to cause trouble."

She didn't vary our path, but Alex made a sharp turn, and we were drenched. The next ten minutes were like a game of tag or chicken. Of course, we were already soaked, so no one was worried about more water. Both Caroline and Alex were skilled enough to avoid crashing together, but I was having a ball.

Eventually, we returned to the dock and tied up the Ski-Doos. Caroline hurried to the cottage to dry off. I smiled at Alex.

"Mick said you looked different with no glasses, and I hated to admit I didn't remember seeing you without them.

"Well?"

"Wet hair, wet swimsuit, dimples. What more is there?"

I smiled, sure my dimples were very prominent. Alex was sounding like a boyfriend.

We swam, had lunch, hiked along the shore, and swam again. Just before dinner, we sat on the deck, talking. Alex was tied up by his father discussing real estate. Mick was careful to end up sitting by me. We talked, and I could see why Mick would be a good banker. When I was talking, I was the focus of his attention. He asked questions that weren't intimate but gave him insight into who I was and what I valued in life. I tried to do the same with him but was only partially successful.

Paige and Diana prepared a delicious dinner, and I found myself seated with Alex on one side of me and Mick on the other, which I found would be typical of the week.

The next three days were packed so full that I had trouble telling one from the other. Caroline was determined that I would be a water skier before I left, and with either Mick or Alex piloting the boat, she was on a second line right beside me, encouraging me and instructing me. A couple of times, I was up for one or two seconds, then under the water once again. At the end of day two, I skied for one hundred yards before going down. In the afternoon of the third day, Caroline and I were skiing side-by-side... and laughing. She was right. Water skiing was fun, and I wondered when I'd ever get to do it again.

I swam each day, along with Caroline, and the two of us spent lots of time flying through the air, tossed there by either Alex or Mick. It was fun like I'd never experienced before, and after the water skiing on that third day, Mick invited me to accompany him on a kayak ride. Once again, my talking was minimal as Mick was questioning what my college courses had been, how I liked them, and where was I expecting my life to go.

The questions were one thing, but when we'd beached the kayak on a small island and continued our conversation on a large rock, the way he looked at me was captivating, and I found my heart rate speeding up ever so slightly, but the longer we talked, the more it happened. I'd never had feelings like this before, and under the circumstances, wasn't quite sure how to handle them. Perhaps I needed to talk with Alex.

~~~

Alex

Having Lark with me at the cottage was, not surprisingly, different from any of the hundred or more times I'd been there. Everyone loved her, and we both received special treatment. I was taking advantage of it by giving Lark little kisses every chance I got. She had to accept them without protest, even though she knew it was my devious way of teasing her. I knew I might pay for it somehow once we were back to normal.

I was having a great time, and I'd always wished that Caroline wasn't a cousin since she was someone I thought I would enjoy dating. But it wasn't Caroline who'd caught my attention here, but her brother. It was clear to me that Mick had found Lark fascinating from the moment he'd first met her. He'd never been far from her side whenever possible, and I guess I wasn't surprised when he pulled me aside.

"So, what's up, Mick?" When we were younger, we'd argued and fought quite a bit. That had passed, but we'd never really connected.

"Listen, don't take this wrong or personally, but if you and Lark decide to split up, call me immediately. I think she's kind of a hidden jewel, maybe not so hidden to you. Still, I don't want to interfere." I was trying to weigh his last statement against the time he was spending with Lark, even taking her off on a kayak ride.

But it did get me thinking.

After dinner, I asked Lark if she'd like to go for a walk. I think she knew that something was up since we didn't usually go off by ourselves. We walked along the lake shore as the sun drifted behind the low hills. She was quiet, waiting for me to uncap the genie's bottle.

"Guess who looked me up today for a little talk?" She looked puzzled for a moment.

"Caroline?"

"Her brother."

"Why did you have to get me alone to tell me that?"

"So I could tell you what he said." Now she was interested, so interested that I began to put two and two together.

Lark had a big smile on her face. "Go on."

"He said you're a hidden jewel, and if I ever dump you, let him know right away."

"Alex, you're not teasing, are you?"

I didn't have the heart after seeing the intense look on her face. "Why is that important to you, Lark?"

"He makes my heart pound, Alex."

"So, it's a mutual thing, huh?"

"It sounds like it, and that's the vibe I was getting from him as well."

"Do you think it's time for an end to the charade, at least a limited end?"

"You mean, you want to tell Mick what we've been up to?"

"Why not? I'm sure his mom and dad have been giving him the same crap I've been getting."

She grabbed my hand as we walked. "You'd do that?"

"Sure, but you have to take care of telling Caroline."

"We lie in bed each night and talk. I really like her, and I'm sure she'd love what we've been up to."

We returned to the cottage, and I went inside while Lark stayed outside... waiting. I got Mick's attention, and we went to the kitchen, where I explained what Lark and I had done. For a moment, he didn't seem to believe me, but that passed quickly. We had to preserve the deception until we left for home. After that, Lark and I would break up?

"That's amazing, Alex, that you two even agreed to pull this off."

"We've already visited her parents, so you two can figure out how to handle them."

"Thanks so much."

"I think there's a lady waiting outside."

I watched Mick make his unobserved exit out the kitchen door and caught a glimpse of him hurrying around the cottage.

As I turned around, Caroline came into the kitchen.

"Where's Lark?"

"She's outside."

"Everyone's inside except my brother. Alex?"