An Unexpected Romance Ch. 001-022

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

James was in near panic as he drove from the Lasko ranch. He couldn't get away fast enough. He had never been so attracted to a woman before. "Why couldn't she be 24 years old," he thought.

By the time he reached his family ranch and farm, he had calmed down. "Maybe I'm reading too much into this," he thought.

He was met by his father on the front porch as he drove up. His brother, David, and sister in law, Cathy, were next to him.

"Welcome home, son."

"Thank you, Dad. It's always good to be here. Now, this time, for the rest of my life," James mused, as he held is father.

He hugged David and Cathy. "Where's the kids?"

"They're staying with their grandparents tonight," Cathy replied. "They were quite upset they missed you. Especially Little James. He reminds everyone he's named after you. Seriously, Michael, Emily, and Katie have missed you, too."

"I'll do something special with all of them. Perhaps tomorrow. I've missed them, too," James replied. "David, I was thinking of loading the horses tomorrow and checking the cattle on the old Tocci range I bought a few years ago. Would you like to come with me? Perhaps the kids, too?"

"Absolutely... I'll bring food and drink and we'll have a picnic for lunch under the grove of post oaks on the north side. The kids will love it," David replied.

Choking back emotion, James said, "I knew I needed to come back here. This is the reason why. You... All of you."

Chapter 12

James and David had just stabled the last of the horses from the day. They had been checking cattle on the old Anderson spread James owned, when James noticed a pickup truck approaching from a distance.

"Who's that?" David asked, nodding in the direction of the truck, as he closed the gate to the corral.

"Don't know."

As they made their way to the ranch house, the pickup stopped on the gravel driveway a few yards from the house.

James recognized the man as he left the truck and made his way to the door of the house.

"That's George Lasko. I had supper with them the night I arrived from Kansas City."

"Why is he here?" David asked.

"I loaned his daughter a spare tire when she had a flat on the Gonzales highway. I imagine he's returning it."

By now, James' father was speaking with George on the front porch. His father turned and pointed to James and David as they were walking up.

George turned, waved, and smiled. "I have your spare tire in the back of the truck!"

Then...

Angela stepped from the passenger side of the truck and looked straight at James. Smiling as wide as a barn.

"Oh, my God," James thought, as he stopped walking. He gathered his thoughts.

In his thoughts, he repeated to himself... Courteous. Composed. Don't stare. Smile.

"What's wrong?" David asked, as he stopped to see why James had stopped walking.

"What?" James snapped.

"The look on your face. Is there something wrong?"

"No," he snapped again. James paused. "Is it that bad? The face I mean?'

"Something's wrong. What is it?"

"Nothing... Nothing really. I'm just, um... Never mind. I'll tell you later. Let's go and get the spare tire. OK?"

"There is definitely something wrong," mused David, as he resumed walking toward the house.

Chapter 13

"Hi, James," Angela yelped, as she walked up to meet James at the same time as her father.

"Hi, Angela. You look pretty today," James replied.

"Thank you."

Angela was wearing clothes similar to the ones she was wearing on the side of the road. Only, this time, her blouse was a bit shorter in length, exposing about an inch of her tummy above her designer cowgirl jeans. The blouse was buttoned all the way to her neck. Her hair was pulled back into a pony tail with strains of hair falling on the sides of her face and neck. She was also wearing a straw cowboy hat.

James turned to George, "Thank you for returning the spare."

"Don't mention it," George replied. "The least I could do for someone who stopped to help the girls when they needed it. By the way, I overheard Angela here, talking to her friends on the phone. Your photograph changing their tire is all over Facebook and Instagram. You are now a famous tire changer, along with a famous baseball player." He gut laughed.

James chuckled and turned to Angela, "Is this true?"

"Yes! I posted some. Maria, Jennifer, and Laura posted theirs, too," she giggled.

"George, this my brother David. He manages my properties in George and Stimson Counties. And, David, this is Angela, George's daughter. I stopped to help her and her friends change a flat tire four days ago."

"George, I remember you," David offered, as they shook hands. "I met you at our mother's funeral. You and Cynthia, right?"

"Yes, Sir. I remember," George replied.

"OK," James said. "David and I were going to the kitchen for iced tea and lemonade to cool off. We've been checking cattle all day. Would you like to join us?"

"YES!" Angela yelped. "Can we, Daddy?"

Chapter 14

James had just served everyone at the kitchen table, when Cathy appeared.

"George and Angela. This is my sister in law, Cathy. And, Cathy, I helped Angela change a flat tire a few days back. They stopped by to return the spare I loaned Angela."

"Great," Cathy said. She took a seat next to David and James handed her a glass of iced tea. James took a seat next to George and across from Angela.

Mr. Young, aka Grandpa, joined them. George, David, and James talked about cattle, cotton, wheat, and alfalfa for the next 20 minutes. All the while, Angela was flirting with James using her eyes, grins, and eyebrows, while sipping her iced tea. And, Cathy saw it.

James struggled to keep his eyes down and away from Angela. But, failed. He grinned and nodded as though he were listening to the other men. He was really sneaking glimpses toward Angela. And, Cathy saw that, too.

"Angela has been showing cattle this year, as she has in years past. Black Angus. She's won some regional shows," George announced.

"Really?" James replied, with interest in his tone. "We have Black Angus. Tell us about your wins, Angela."

"Sure! Well, I raised three steers and all of them won," Angela announced with pride. "At the George, Stimson, and McClusky County stock shows. I made $45,000.00 for college, and, I won twice last year and made $14,000. Mr. Karalis helps me pick out the best stock and taught me how to raise and show them."

"Wow," James replied, with surprise. "We use Mr. Karalis to help us find breeder stock. He has done well for us over the years."

James turned to David, arched his eyebrows, and then turned back to Angela. "Would you and your father be interested in riding with us someday? To check on our cattle? Perhaps your friends would like to come along."

"That would be great. Just let me know what day. Daddy and I have horses, and Maria has one, too. I don't think Jennifer and Laura ride horses," Angela mused.

"OK, then. David and I have a large pasture in Stimson County. On the southwest side. The herd needs to be checked in the next week. May I call you, George, to set up dates?" James asked.

"Sure. Here's my card with my mobile phone number. Leave a message if I miss your call."

"Are you going to the dance and social tonight, James?" Angela asked. A hopeful look on her face.

James was momentarily caught by surprise with Angela's question. He had forgotten about the dance at the KOC hall.

"Angela, I've forgotten about the social, until now." James turned to David and nodded. "I may be late, but, I will be there."

"Great!"

Chapter 15

James waved good bye to George and Angela as they pulled away from the Young family home. When he turned to go back inside the house, Cathy blocked his way...

Arms crossed. Scowl on her face.

"What do you think you're doing?" she snapped.

"What?"

"She's the same age as Michael and Emily. I've seen her in school," Cathy asserted.

James dipped his chin to gather his thoughts.

"I was being courteous. To her, and her father. They invited me into their home after I helped Angela and her friends. That's all," he snapped.

"Bullshit! I saw what she was doing and what YOU were doing. Do you know how old she is? What if she isn't eighteen yet? Don't you dare go near that girl without her father's permission," Cathy growled. "Especially tonight. AND! I'm going tonight to make sure!"

James paused to gather his thoughts and couldn't come up with a smart ass reply. But, Cathy did make him think. Was she eighteen? He wasn't sure. It was near the end of the school year. She must be eighteen by now. He would need to find out.

WHAT? He shook his head in disgust. She's too young. What I am doing? James shook his head again to rid Angela from his mind. The shake failed.

"Good!" he snapped. "I'll probably be too busy with photos and autographs anyway!"

Chapter 16

"You look pretty this evening, Angela. I love the dress. It's beautiful."

"Do you think so, Mama? Really?"

"Yes. Anyone special you're dressing for?" Cynthia asked, as she sat on the edge of her daughter's bed.

"Maybe. Would you be upset if I told you?" she asked.

"No, I wouldn't. I would ask you to take it very, very slow. Whomever it may be," her mother replied.

"I'm eighteen, Mama. Is it wrong to be attracted to someone older? Daddy is five years older than you. You met him right out of high school, just like me," Angela sighed.

Her mother paused to gather her words.

"I have no case to argue against an older man. I'm concerned others may frown upon it though, and, perhaps hurt your feelings as a result. Consider this. Do not have any expectations with him. Good or bad. If you don't have expectations of him, he can't disappoint you, or hurt your feelings. Let him choose you. Not the other way around. Play a little hard to get and tease a little... make him want to chase you. Men like the chase. Start off slow. Wink to him once... Maybe twice tonight. No more than that. Let him dance with other women and stand near the dance floor to show him you're the prettiest girl there. He will come back for more each time. When he is in a conversation with others, make sure he sees you at a distance and smile when he looks at you."

Cynthia paused and sighed. "You are beautiful tonight."

Chapter 17

As James left his brother's pickup truck, he mumbled, "I shouldn't do this."

"What did you say?" Cathy barked.

"Nothing."

"Yeah, right! I'm not letting you out of my sight," she chuckled.

David, Cathy, Michael, Emily, Katie, Little James, and James began walking toward the entrance of the KOC hall. They actually were early. It was 5:15 pm. As they approached...

There was Angela. Smiling. And looking pretty. She was wearing a yellow sun dress and yellow low platform sandals. Her hair was pulled behind her ears with a yellow headband. Her hair. Black and naturally wavy. Her eyes. Hypnotizing. Sexy. Seductive. Light blue this evening in the low horizon and shadowed light. Her olive skin announcing and contrasting her yellow dress. James judged her at 5 feet 5 inches as he approached. Her mother, Cynthia, was standing next to her. Smiling and nodding. She was wearing a purple sundress, looking very much like her daughter.

Before he could speak, James was intercepted by local fans. As he kindly spoke with them, he glanced occasionally toward Angela, and smiled with each glance. She smiled in return and giggled because of the attention he was receiving from strangers.

Cathy stepped up to Angela and Cynthia.

"Angela, you look pretty tonight," she offered.

"Thank you, Mrs. Young. You look pretty, too."

"Thank you. Good evening, Cynthia," Cathy said.

"Hello, Cathy. Let's talk over there. I know why you're here," she nodded.

As they stepped away from the entrance, where no one could overhear, Cynthia spoke first. "You're concerned, aren't you. Angela and James."

"Yes, I saw them at the house this afternoon. They were obviously flirting. Is Angela eighteen, yet?"

"Yes, she is. And, I've spoken with her about James," Cynthia replied.

"Are you not concerned with their difference in age? She's inexperienced with mature men. Also, George County is small. People will say hateful and hurtful things about them," Cathy offered.

"I'm concerned," Cynthia began. "However, they have only known each other for a few days. Anything can happen. Good and bad. Yes, Angela is inexperienced with mature men. However, she is mature for her age. She's smart. Very smart, like her father. She knows more about cattle than any man in the county. And, she will exercise caution with James, as I have asked of her. I will say this. She is determined to get and retain James' attention. It's my fault. I was attracted to mature men at her age. George is 5 years older than me. I would rather her attention be on James than on some other man I don't know. Someone who may lead her in a bad direction. I have no fears of this with James."

Cynthia paused and then continued, "I need your help, Cathy. Let them run their course at their own pace. If you have a concern, call me, and let's talk. And if necessary, I will speak to James. OK?"

Cathy nodded in agreement.

Chapter 18

"You look pretty tonight, Angela. You look great in yellow."

"Thank you, James. You're handsome tonight, too."

"I saw your mother a moment ago. I would like to say hello."

"She's over there. Talking to your sister in law. I think they have concerns about us," Angela giggled. "What about you, James? Do you have concerns? About us?"

James turned to Angela and his face did have concerns. "Yes, I do."

James looked around and asked, "Can we step over here and talk? Briefly?"

"Sure. I want to talk, too," she giggled.

As the two walked to a secluded space in the parking lot, James spoke first. For a moment, he couldn't get a word out. Angela's hypnotic, sexy, and seductive eyes caused his heart to skip a beat.

"Look, Angela. You're a very pretty girl. Beautiful. I'm, uh. Well... I think you are pretty and I don't seem to be able keep my eyes off of you. I've never experienced an attraction to anyone like I have with you. I have mixed emotions, right now. I also have concerns about our age difference. I don't want to enter a situation where your feelings may be hurt. I couldn't live with myself if that were to happen."

"Stop right there, James," Angela said. "I'm eighteen. Yeah... You may hurt my feelings, but, it's my choice to be with you or not be with you. I get to choose. Not you. Yes. I think you are the most handsome man I have ever known. I also saw you noticed me, too. So. What's holding us back? What someone may think or say? What do you think? That you want to chase me and get my attention, or what someone will say about it if you do? I'm only giving you the chance to choose. I'm not stalking you. I AM encouraging you. Giving you the opportunities. And, I will accept the outcome of your choice about me."

Angela paused and looked away for a moment. Then she returned to his eyes and declared, "I'm going inside to enjoy the dance and the social. You may join me if you like. Or, not."

She looked away again, and returned to his eyes. "Whatever your decision, I'm keeping you to your invitation to ride the range next week."

Angela turned and began walking toward the entrance of the hall. Before she entered, she turned, smiled, and winked at James.

Chapter 19

"I still can't be with her until she is out of school and graduated," he thought. "It will be too much of a distraction for her in school. Six more weeks."

James entered the KOC hall and was immediately met by well-wishers on his retirement. They were pleased he chose to return to George County and they missed him when he was in Kansas City. As each person shook his hand and spoke with him, he smiled and chatted them up. All the while, he looked around to find Angela.

Before he could find her; she found him. Smiling, she handed him a glass of iced tea, knowing he didn't drink alcohol.

"Thank you, Angela. My throat is dry from speaking with everyone. This is nice of you," he said, sincerely, raising the glass to her in appreciation.

"You're welcome," she chirped, then she turned and walked to the dance floor to watch couples dance.

He tried to follow her, but, he was cut off by an older woman, who told him she knew his mother and how sad it was she had passed away. For nearly half an hour, he spoke with what may have been dozens of people who wanted his attention.

Again, Angela appeared and tilted her head to James to follow her. She waited as he excused himself from a teenage boy who was playing pony league baseball.

Angela kept her distance as James followed her to the dining tables outside on the patio. There, he found David, Cathy, Cynthia, and George. Also, Maria, Jennifer, and Laura. All sitting at the table eating Texas bar-b-que, red beans, potato salad, and coleslaw. An empty chair, and a full plate, were between Cynthia and Cathy, and he took his seat when Cathy gestured it was for him.

Across the table from James, sat the girls he helped on the side of the road last week. The adults were on his side of the table. However, Angela was not sitting across from him. She was sitting across from her father; two seats over. She glanced at James occasionally, and smiled. In between her glances and smiles, James saw she was making conversation with her father and mother, and occasionally with Maria to her left.

Just as James finished his plate, Jennifer's father stopped by to thank him for helping the girls. James stood, shook his hand and visited for a few minutes. Taking a glance to Angela when he could sneak one.

Then, Jennifer leapt from her chair to take a selfie with her father and James.

That started it all.

Every teenage girl present squealed, pushed, and shoved to get a photo with James. All of them, except Angela. Who enjoyed every minute of James being uncomfortable around so many teenage girls.

Nearly 25 minutes later, the last photo and squeal from a teenager was completed. Angela was smiling and shaking her head from the other side of the table. The adults had left, except for Cathy, who was keeping a close eye on her brother in law. James noticed his plate had been cleared and a fresh glass of iced tea was in its place. He looked to Angela and she gave him a nod toward the glass.

He moved to sit across from Angela, but, Cathy cut him off.

Chapter 20

"I've spoken with Angela's mother."

James tilted his head in curiosity at his sister in law's announcement.

"She's OK with you and Angela. She told me she has asked Angela to take it very slow and to have no expectations from you," Cathy offered. "Cynthia would rather Angela be with you than with someone she doesn't know, and may get Angela into trouble." Cathy paused to judge James' reaction. "She trusts you and Angela."

James nodded and then glanced to Angela. But... she was gone. He turned from side to side looking for her, but, she wasn't nearby.

Cathy was waiting for a comment.

"I'm thinking out loud right now, Cathy. No commitments for what I say," James began. "I'm attracted to Angela, but, I don't know why and I can't explain why. She's still in school and I don't want to... do anything; at least until she has graduated. It may complicate things for her in school if I were to... approach her."

He paused to gather his thoughts... then, firmly..."Until she graduates from school, she'll be just a friend. That's all. And, I certainly won't do anything without her parents knowing everything first."

Cathy glared into his eyes and gently nodded. "OK... Just friends."

Chapter 21

James danced with every woman in the county that night. Including two dances each with the young ladies he helped on the side of the road. He snuck a third dance in with Angela, and, she took notice. His feet were sore by the end of the evening.