An Unexpected Romance Ch. 001-022

Story Info
A mature Retired Baseball Player returns to his roots/home.
7.8k words
4.7
20.9k
52

Part 1 of the 13 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 08/01/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
ajroye
ajroye
345 Followers

An Unexpected Romance

A.J. Roye

Copyright 2020

Fantasy Mature Older Man Younger Woman

Chapter 1

"Today, I am announcing my retirement from playing professional baseball with the Kansas City Royals. As you know, the car wreck I was in four years ago has limited my ability to continue playing the game I love so much, at the level necessary to remain competitive at the professional game. My heart and spirit are willing, but, my body will not yield."

In a measured cadence and tone, James continued.

"I've had many blessings in my life, which are too numerous to mention here today. I would like to share those which have a special place in my heart. Beginning with my parents and family. They supported me when I needed them the most; both professionally, and personally. I've been blessed with the talents to be a competitive baseball player. I've been blessed with a team and city which embraced me as a player and a citizen of the community. I've been blessed with the most wonderful teammates and coaches throughout my playing career, beginning as an amateur, until this day."

James Young, 35 years old, on this beautiful November day, retires from 13 years of professional baseball for the only major league team he ever played for; the Kansas City Royals. He went on to thank the owner, general manager, and the two field managers he played for; Clyde Crosby and James Hairston. He introduced his father, Samuel Young, and honored his late mother, Margaret, who passed away 2 years ago after a bitter struggle with ALS. He also acknowledged his brother, David, and his wife, Cathy, for helping him when he began his career in the semi-pro leagues. He announced he would miss Kansas City, but, he had plans to return to his childhood home in Texas and begin a career in ranching and farming, just as his parents and ancestors had done.

"I will take questions for five minutes."

"James, you end your career leading the majors in career batting average, career on base percentage, career intentional walks, career walks, fourth in runs scored, fifth in hits, six MVP awards, eleven gold glove awards; one as a pitcher; career fielding percentage, in the top three in stolen bases each of the last 11 years, two World Series championships, and eleven All Star appearances. You played mostly at second base, but, you have played every position on the field, except catcher. Twenty one career saves from the mound, including one in the World Series. Some of these records stood for many years before you broke them. You likely will be inducted into the hall of fame in your first year of eligibility. Any comments?"

"Some of the many blessings I have received throughout my life. I am grateful for each day," James replied. He paused.

"I tried to get Hairston to put me in at catcher the last day of the regular season."

After the press corps erupted in laughter and two additional questions, James stood and held his father's hand.

"Thank you, Kansas City, for being a part of my life."

Chapter 2

"James, I'm NOT taking your money, and that's final."

"Mr. Turner, I can't let you do this work for me without at least paying you half your billing rate. It's a lot of work," James protested.

"James, as much as you've done for Kansas City and the Royals, I can't take your money. It's a small fraction what you have given in time, talent, and purse over the last 13 years. Besides, as your attorney, I've billed you plenty in that time. Particularly, over the divorce with Susan, and the contract negotiations with the Royals. Now... After I sell your house, and possessions in the house, and give it to the children's hospital, I'll feel much better about taking your money in the past. Let me do this without payment. Also, I'm obligated to tell you. One of my wealthy, and long-time clients, has offered to match your contribution, in your name, to the children's hospital from the sale of your home and possessions. He only asks your permission and anonymity."

James began to choke up.

"Your client has my permission. And, thank you, Mr. Turner."

Chapter 3

The long road from Kansas City to George County, Texas was nearly over. He was only a few miles from his childhood home, on this crystal clear, blue sky forever, March day. The post oaks along the road brought back childhood memories with his brother.

During the long drive, James Young had reflected on his baseball career and the disappointing end to the same career. James had stayed in Kansas City for a few months to address his retirement with autographs, appearances, and banquets in his honor. He finally was able to leave Kansas City and drive to Texas and his father's home. He had been competitive, all the way to the end. In his last year, he lead the majors in batting average, on base percentage, walks, intentional walks, third in runs scored. The Royals nearly made the third World Series in his career, but, lost in the seventh game of the American League Championship to a walk off base hit by the Baltimore Orioles. But, his body would no longer cooperate with the demands of professional baseball.

The car wreck.

Side swiped on I-470 by a drunk driver going 130 miles per hour. The hit flipped James' Honda Pilot two times, pinning him in the SUV. His passenger, and teammate, Milton Washington, walked away with four stitches in his left forearm. Milton did everything he could to free James, but, had to wait for the fire rescue crews to cut James from the twisted wreckage.

The drunk driver.

Killed, when his car lost control after the side swipe and slammed into a barricade beneath an overpass

Nine long and painful months of rehabilitation. A broken left femur, requiring reconstructive surgery. A torn ACL in the left knee. Two fractured lumbar vertebra, not requiring surgery. And, a tiny tear in an abdominal vein, requiring surgery to repair.

Fortunately, the wreck occurred just after the end of the season and James was able to play a brief, partial season the next year. Still playing at the elite level and contributing to the team's playoffs to the Championship series; which they lost to the Twins.

It was when he was in the hospital, James discovered how truly he was loved by the community. Get well cards, posters and get well cards from children, visits from community leaders, visits from the sick children at the children's hospital next door, where he volunteered; phone numbers left by nurses from the other floors, and flowers and cards from hundreds of women begging for the opportunity to nurse him back to health.

A tear appeared when he reflected on all his friends who all but pleaded with him to stay in Kansas City. But, his Texas roots cried for him to return.

Then, a sight up ahead shook him from his thoughts. He strained to see what it was.

"Umm," he thought. "A group of young women, along the side of the road, may need help."

Chapter 4

"Oh, no! I think it's a flat tire!"

Angela slowly and carefully pulled her father's pickup truck from the narrow two lane road to the grassy shoulder. She, and her closest friends, were returning from the movie theater in Gonzales to George County.

"OK," Angela yelped. "Let's get the spare out and change the tire."

Jennifer and Angela took turns cranking out the spare from underneath the pickup truck. When they freed it from the mount... it was flat, too. Flat, because it hadn't been used in years.

"What now?" Maria sighed.

"I'll call my Daddy. He'll come to get us," Angela replied.

Angela had called her father and was explaining the situation, when...

"LOOK! Someone is stopping to help!" Laura screamed.

A few moments later...

"Good afternoon, ladies. May I help?"

"Yes! We have a flat tire and the spare is flat. Angela is on the phone with her dad!" Jennifer replied.

Angela heard the conversation her friends were having with the man, but, she remained on the phone listening to her father. Then she heard...

"Excuse me, Miss. May I speak to your father, please?"

Angela turned, while still on the phone, to see a handsome man approaching. Her heart skipped a beat.

Wearing jeans, boots, western shirt and a straw cowboy hat, he was 6 feet 1 inch tall, well-built, well groomed, and athletic. Dark hair, dark brown eyes, square jaw and a smile wider than the road they were on.

Angela, momentary, had trouble focusing on her father's words and the flat tire because of the handsome surprise, which was approaching rapidly. Her heart began to race inside her chest. A feeling which was new to her, considering the more than handsome man standing near her.

Chapter 5

As James pulled off the road, onto the grassy shoulder of the two lane road, he noticed four young women standing in the ditch beside a disabled pickup truck. One of the women was on the phone and had her back to him.

As he approached the young women, he yelled, "Good afternoon, ladies. May I help?"

"Yes! We have a flat tire and the spare is flat. Angela is on the phone with her dad!" the tall one barked.

As James approached, he noticed all four young women had dark hair and olive skin. "They're Greek Americans," he thought. He knew well, the Greeks immigrated to George County, Texas in the 1840s and 1850s. The rural county had about 40% Greek surnames. And, the county seat is Thermopylae, Texas; the namesake of the famous Spartan and Greek battle against the Persians. The school mascot is the fighting Spartans.

"OK," he replied. "I think I can help. Our trucks are very similar and the spare will fit your pickup."

"Hey! Aren't you James Young?" one of the women yelled. "My Mom and Dad won't believe this!"

"Yes, that's my name, but, we need to get you back on the road," he mused.

James turned and began approaching the young woman talking on the phone.

"Excuse me, Miss. May I speak to your father, please?"

When the young lady turned to face James, his heart skipped a beat. A sensation which caught him completely by surprise and temporarily rendered him speechless.

He noticed her eyes immediately.

Her eyes.

Hypnotizing. The eyes were light blue. So light, they were almost light gray in color. The eyes were almond shaped and he had seen these eyes before, he thought. Sometime in the past. Her black eyebrows drew attention to the light color of her eyes.

Her hair was black as night. Long and naturally wavy. Pulled back in the front to expose her forehead and pinned behind her head. She was slender, but, not skinny. Her waist was narrow and feminine. Her hips were slightly wider than her waist and also feminine. She was wearing designer cowgirl blue jeans, with a rhinestone belt, cowgirl boots, and a girly and feminine button front blouse, which, fell just above the waist of her jeans. She looked feminine and sexy in the attire she chose. Her breasts were small, and her blouse hid their shape and size. And, she had the most, silky, olive colored skin, announcing her Mediterranean heritage.

But, it was her eyes that drew James' attention, and caused his heart to skip a beat. They were hypnotizing, attractive, sexy, and seductive.

She replied, "This is my Daddy. He is coming to help us."

James shook his head and cleared his throat to overcome the momentary inability to speak. He noticed his heart pounding in his chest.

"May I speak with him?" James repeated.

She handed him the phone. "He doesn't mind coming to help us," she said.

"Your name is Angela. What is your father's name?" he asked.

"George Lasko," she replied.

"Hello, Mr. Lasko. My name is James Young. I'm here with your daughter and her friends," James announced on the phone.

"James Young? The baseball player? I can't believe it!" the voice announced from the phone.

"Yes, Sir. The spare tire for your truck is flat. My truck is similar to yours and the spare I have should fit. After we mount the spare, I'll follow your daughter and her friends to their homes to explain what happened. Will this be OK with you, Sir?'

"Of course!" Mr. Lasko replied. "I look forward to meeting you, Mr. Young!"

"I prefer James, Mr. Lasko. I'll see you in a few minutes."

Chapter 6

James was chuckling under his breath and smiling.

Why?

1. The young women were giggling and taking photos of him while he was changing the tire on their truck.

2. All four of them were pretty. Especially Angela.

He had introduced himself and learned their names; Laura, Jennifer, Maria, and Angela. He figured he would see them again sometime in the near future. George County was very rural and everyone knew everyone else.

When he stood from mounting the tire, Angela grabbed him around the chest in a bear hug and squeezed.

"Thank you, Mr. Young, for helping us," she chirped, looking up into his eyes.

James was hypnotized by this young woman's eyes. He had seen them before, he thought. He hugged her in return, taking care to hug her without being fresh.

"You're welcome."

Then... The photographs started. Selfies by each of the young women, with group selfies to follow. James chuckled with the, "My turn!" yelps from the clearly high school age women.

"OK, ladies. We need to get you home."

Chapter 7

"Thank you for helping Jennifer and her friends, Mr. Young!"

"You're more than welcome, Mrs. Petrakis. I couldn't leave such pretty girls on the side of the road," James replied. "I hope to see you again soon."

James turned to leave the living room of the Petrakis family home and nearly stumbled because Angela Lasko was right next to him... Smiling widely and looking him directly in the eyes.

"Her eyes are hypnotic and... sexy," he thought. "I need to be careful with her."

"Angela, I think it's time we get going. Your father is waiting," James remarked.

She smiled ever wider and nodded her head. Still glaring into his eyes.

"I don't think I can take this much longer," he thought. "She's very pretty."

While following Angela in her truck to the Lasko family ranch, he couldn't help to consider Angela's beauty. Her mesmerizing eyes. They're... intriguing. They're intense in color, he thought.

Her silky, naturally wavy and black hair. Her sexy olive colored skin. Her feminine and attractive figure. Her breasts, a little on the small side. He wondered about her age. She was clearly still in high school.

He then shook his head in disgust. "Way too young," he thought. "Way, way too young."

But, he couldn't turn his eyes from her.

Before long, he found himself pulling into the gravel driveway of the Lasko family home.

"Daddy! Mr. Young stopped to help us!" Angela screamed as she leapt from the pickup truck and ran to the front door.

Mr. Lasko appeared on the front porch and took his little girl into a fatherly hug.

"I'm glad you're home safely."

Chapter 8

"Thank you for pulling over to help Angela. I'm grateful."

"Don't mention it, Mr. Lasko," James replied, after he shook hands with Angela's father. "It was way too easy, really. The spare I had fit perfectly. Besides, no real Texas man would drive past such pretty girls in need. I had to stop!"

James glanced to Angela and found her smiling widely... with her eyes, too.

"Why am I so attracted to her?" he thought.

He shook his head to clear Angela from his mind.

"I need to leave soon," he thought. "She'll have me gawking and her father will think I'm a creep."

"Mr. Young, I can tell the honorable Texan in you didn't leave your heart when you left for Kansas City. I heard about your retirement and I felt regret you weren't able to continue with your career. However, I'm pleased you chose to return to George County," Mr. Lasko replied.

Just then, Mrs. Lasko appeared on the porch.

"Hello, James. Thank you for helping Angela and her friends."

James recognized her immediately... "Cynthia! It has been a long time. I'm sorry," James replied. "I didn't know you were married and had children."

"It has been a long time. I haven't seen you since your brother David and I went to the high school prom. How old were you? Twelve? Thirteen?"

James knew immediately where Angela got her hypnotic and sexy eyes. Her mother, Cynthia. The same eyes and looks he remembered when David brought Cynthia to their home for prom photos. He couldn't take his eyes from her as a boy of twelve.

He glanced again to Angela. Smiling widely. In a puppy love way. The exact same eyes as her mother. Hypnotic. Sexy. Seductive.

"I have to stop looking at her," he thought. "Too young."

"I was at your mother's funeral, James. There were a lot of people there. I'm sure you didn't see me," Cynthia said.

"There were a lot of people. I would love to have seen you there. David, too," he replied.

"I did see David. I sought him out and hugged him. But, there were so many people around you, I couldn't say hello. The cost of a successful baseball career!" Cynthia mused.

"Thank you, Cynthia. I regret not seeing you before today. Wow! A family. Angela. Tell me about them," James replied.

"I will. But, you'll stay for supper. Call your father and tell him you will be late because you helped some pretty girls in need on the side of the road."

Chapter 9

James had just said his good byes to the Lasko family. It was a wonderful chat and the supper was delicious. But, he had a terrible time keeping his eyes off Angela. He hoped he didn't creep out Cynthia and George.

As he opened the door to his pickup truck, he glanced back to the front porch and Angela waved a tentative wave. He returned the wave; tentatively. Cynthia and George waved, too. Then, Cynthia turned and said something to Angela. Angela smiled and ran toward him. When she reached the truck, she gently brushed his hand on the door with her shoulder... On purpose.

"Mama wants you to know the Knights of Columbus monthly dance and social is this Saturday at 5:30. At the KOC hall in Thermopylae." She smiled widely with arched and hopeful eyebrows.

"Thank you, Angela," James smiled in return. "I can't promise, but, I will do my best to attend."

"Great!" Angela yelped, and waited for him to enter his pickup. "I hope you can make it," she said, and then dipped her eyes to the ground. Returning her eyes to his, she whispered, "I will be there."

Chapter 10

Angela returned to the house and ran past her parents on the porch. James had left in a cloud of dust down the dirt road from the Lasko family farm.

"Wait until Jennifer and Maria hear who I had supper with tonight!"

George arched his eyebrows, as his only daughter, blazed past him into the house. He turned to Cynthia and smiled, "I didn't know she was a baseball fan."

"She isn't," replied Cynthia, with a smirk and tilted head... side stepping her husband to enter the house. "She has a crush on James."

"What?" he snapped. "James Young? Are you kidding me?"

"At the table during supper, she kept flirting with her eyes. You know, the same eyes that flirted with you 23 years ago at the KOC hall. And what happened after that night?" Cynthia mused.

"I don't know, Cynthia. The age difference. James must be, what?... 35, 36 years old? She's only eighteen. Do I need to speak with her?"

"No. Don't say a word. And don't say a word on what I'm about to tell you," she said. "James had a hard time refusing her flirtations. I don't blame him. Angela is pretty. I could see in his eyes he was struggling with his emotions. I could also see how relieved he was when he left the porch; to get out of Angela's presence." She paused and then sighed. "I trust Angela. And, I trust James. I think we shouldn't read too much into it yet. If those two can't stay away from each other, we'll discuss it again. OK? And, not a word to Angela." A finger wiggled at him.

George nodded. "OK."

Chapter 11

"What the hell," James thought. "I hope George doesn't call the sheriff on me. What's gotten in to me? What if she isn't eighteen. I have never done this before. I'm creeping myself out."

ajroye
ajroye
345 Followers