An Unexpected Romance Ch. 001-022

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

As he was leaving with David and Cathy, Cynthia stepped up and spoke to James. George was behind her, listening.

"Cathy told me what you said. I think you should wait. Friends is a good starting place; for both of you," she smiled. "I'll speak with Angela. She'll understand. It will give her something to look forward to. And, thank you for keeping us involved when it comes time."

Cynthia left with a smirk on her lips and a courteous, "Good night."

James turned to Cathy and she arched her eyebrow in reply. "Do as you say and I will be OK, James."

When James left the hall, Angela was waiting for him. Her parents in the near distance observing, and out of ear shot.

"Thank you for the dances, James. I enjoyed every moment," she smiled.

"You're very pretty tonight, Angela," James began. "The prettiest girl here. By far. I mean it. And, thank you for getting the iced teas for me tonight. They were a welcome relief. I enjoyed the dances, also." He paused to redirect, "I will call your father to schedule the ride next week. To work it around school for you and Maria, OK?"

"Great! I look forward to seeing your herd," she yelped. Then, she left with her parents.

He turned to Cathy and David, and, Cathy nodded her approval.

Chapter 22

"What do you want to do, David?"

James, David, and Michael, David's son, and George, Angela and Maria just unloaded their horses on the 475 acre pasture owned by David and James.

Angela and Maria were dressed to work. Both were wearing loose fitting long sleeve cotton plaid shirts and loose fitting blue jeans with boots. They each were wearing wide brim straw cowboy hats. Angela's hair was in a pony tail doubled back on itself to make it short. Maria's hair was shoulder length, also, pulled back into a pony tail. Each woman was wearing dark rimmed sunglasses.

Angela spoke up, "Maria and I can ride the west side together. We've done it before."

David turned to George for confirmation and George nodded his approval.

"OK, the west side. Meet back here in one hour," David barked. "Michael, check the interior fences for repairs, and flag them. James, start on the southwest corner and ride the fence to the northeast corner. Flag the fence for repairs. George and I will check the herd on the east side. Everyone back here in one hour."

Angela and Maria were the first to return. When David and George returned, Angela spoke up.

"Mr. Young, there's ticks. Lots of them. We stopped counting the cattle at 10 head that were infested. At least 10 to 20 ticks for each head. Also, a steer has bloat. You can hear him bawling from here because of the pain. Show Mr. Young the photos we took, Maria."

Angela continued, as James rode up last, "I can treat the bloat now. I have the equipment in my pack. I also have repellant to keep the ticks off of us and the horses."

Angela paused, because she wanted James to hear her next comments. "Mr. Young, Maria and I can treat the pasture for ticks. We've done it before. Dozens of times. We have a sprayer and the chemical. We also have a portable dip tank to treat the herd for ticks. Maria and I will need help with the dip tank and wrestling the cattle through the chutes. We're not strong enough. You can help or I can hire some men to help. You know well, Sir, if those ticks aren't treated soon, you're going to lose some cattle."

David couldn't believe his ears. He turned to George for acknowledgement.

"Maria and Angela can do it. They're good," George offered.

"I can write you up a quote right now, Mr. Young. If you hire us, I'll treat the bloated steer at no cost, right now," Angela barked.

"Only a vet can treat the bloat. How are you going to do it?" David barked.

"Dr. Sideris taught me," Angela offered. "I got tired of him charging me a thousand dollars for each case of bloat. I told him I would pay him the thousand, but, he had to teach me how to do it myself."

George nodded when David turned to him for confirmation. Michael rode his horse up to his father and said, "The boys at school say she's the best in the county."

David turned to James. James was just as surprised as David. He shrugged his shoulders.

David turned to Angela and said, "Let's see your quote."